PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Doge 2500 Cummins Tranny Problems

CA Stu
12-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Well, it has started to happen: My '01 Dodge with the 24 valve Cummins and a Banks Powerpack with 35k miles has started to slip / surge/ buck under full throttle in 3rd and in overdrive.
Most noticeable over 70mph in OD, hold pedal down, truck surges and shudders noticeably. About 2 or 3 times per second.
First two gears hook dead up, however after a hard corner sometimes the tranny slips in first(?).
I did check, and it seems to be full of fluid.
My questions are thus:
Do I need a new trans, new parts, or just a trans tune up?
What is the least expensive option?
What is the best option as far as performance and longevity?
I don't plan on selling this truck for at least another 3 years.
Thanks
CA Stu

Jordy
12-29-2003, 05:26 PM
STV_Keith would be the guy to talk to about this problem.

Outnumbered
12-29-2003, 05:58 PM
STV is the man to talk to.
I think you can beef it up with a re-build. The problem is that the 2001 had the weak auto that was not built to handle more than stock HP/Torque. The new ones have the heavy duty auto tranny that can handle much more power.
How do you like the Banks system? What kind of HP/Torque are you making?
OL

CA Stu
12-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
STV is the man to talk to.
SNIP
How do you like the Banks system? What kind of HP/Torque are you making?
OL
I'm hoping he chimes in, fer sure.
I am real happy with my Banks, I guess you'd have to look at Banks web page (http://www.bankspower.com/app.cfm?appid=AD01) for numbers, I don't have a dyno or anything, but it's sure got alot of zip. I have the Stinger TLC kit. Just pulls and pulls and pulls like a BIG cubic inch gas motor. Just never runs out of torque.
One of my favorite goodies I put on it is a "Turbo Timer" (http://216.167.41.9/CoastalData/showdetl.cfm?&DID=30&Product_ID=161&CATID=1) from Geno's Garage, it interfaces with the computer and allows you to set the engine to run from 1-5 minutes after you have taken the keys out of the ignition. That way when you need to pee at the top of the pass, you can let the motor run (to cool the turbo) with the doors locked and the keys in your pocket. i'm sure someone else can be more eloquent, but in layman's terms, if you turn your turbo off while it's red hot, it will cook the oil on the bearings and ruin the turbo in short order.
You do get some funny looks when you walk into a store and your truck is rattling away in the parking lot...:)
Thanks
CA Stu

STV_Keith
12-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Actually, the best guys to call are DTT. Diesel Transmission Technology. Bill can walk you through just about anything to diagnose the actual problem. Given that it's in 3rd and OD, I would imagine it's the torque converter clutch you are feeling, but I could be wrong without more troubleshooting.
Anyway, call Bill at 866-504-4002. There are none better for the Dodge trannies.

hot_diggity_dog
12-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by STV_Keith
Actually, the best guys to call are DTT. Diesel Transmission Technology. Bill can walk you through just about anything to diagnose the actual problem. Given that it's in 3rd and OD, I would imagine it's the torque converter clutch you are feeling, but I could be wrong without more troubleshooting.
Anyway, call Bill at 866-504-4002. There are none better for the Dodge trannies.
I have all of the Dodge stuff right here for ya.
HDD's 98 Dodge (http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000008)
HDD:cool:

CA Stu
12-30-2003, 01:28 PM
HDD, nice truck. I need to get me some of those "Velvet Ride" shcakles, my truck is a 3/4 ton camper special and it jus tbeats your guts on some freeways...
Did you go with a whole new DTT trans or just the convertor?
How much $$$$ ?
Thanks for all the info.
CA Stu

hot_diggity_dog
12-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
HDD, nice truck. I need to get me some of those "Velvet Ride" shcakles, my truck is a 3/4 ton camper special and it jus tbeats your guts on some freeways...
Did you go with a whole new DTT trans or just the convertor?
How much $$$$ ?
Thanks for all the info.
CA Stu
Basically I had all of the DTT parts installed in my original case.
$3,800.00 if I remember. It was done at Huntington Beach Dodge (John Scott) .
Fullerton Dodge talk to Bob.
HDD:cool: