PDA

View Full Version : Geo-cacheing

Mandelon
12-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Anybody here heard of this?
Heard about it from some friends. People hide stuff around the countryside, city and desert. Then they post the GPS coordinates on the internet at www.geocaching.com along with some clues. Usually its a tupperware container filled with odd stuff, a log book and a pen. You can enter the zip code or nearby city for a list of places where these things are hidden.
We found a bunch of them out in the desert over the weekend. I have to admit I felt like a techno-geek wandering around the desert with a GPS unit in my hand like some sort of electronic divining rod......but it is cool to locate some hidden cache of goodies. You take something and leave something else. The kids were loving it.
You enter the area where you want to look and some local caches should show up.
We found a buried coffee can up on top of this sandstone face. It was a bit of a hike, but the narrow slot we climbed up was amazing.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/24BorregoXmas03_019-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/24BorregoXmas03_025-med.jpg

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-29-2003, 07:41 PM
never heard of it but it sounds fun.. kind of like a scavenger hunt.. just don't hope anything bad turns up like a head or something.. :D :D here yah go mr bobbit we found your member your wife cut off 2 years ago,, :D

Mandelon
12-29-2003, 07:48 PM
It is exactly like a scavenger hunt. What is the zip for Parker?

betty boop
12-29-2003, 07:57 PM
this whole adventure is really cool - up here in alberta my cousin is head of a company that travels all over the country teaching people how to use these systems - we were supposed to go out this past summer but never made it - we are still looking into buying a gps!!!! lots of it up here and all over the world

wsuwrhr
12-29-2003, 07:58 PM
sounds like a cool idea. I have never heard of it before.
Brian

betty boop
12-29-2003, 08:00 PM
do you own your gps mandelon???

JetBoatRich
12-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Seen a special on TV once, they seem to have a good time:( The one I saw was a four wheel drive club. The fun part was getting there:D

Mandelon
12-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Yep, wifey bought me one for B-day last year. I have a Garmin Rino 110. It has GPS plus a family band walkie talkie. does some games too. There cheaper now, $99 to $199 for good ones.
I guess there is more to the GPS than just for reading my top speed. I was amazed to see there are dozens of hidden caches within a mile or two of my house.

Kilrtoy
12-29-2003, 08:03 PM
Be careful,
Watch out for snakes......
Looks like a fun day ......

betty boop
12-29-2003, 08:04 PM
i hope to get out there this summer!!

Quality Time
12-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Tried to locate one that was in Havasu in about 6 feet of water. Never did find it. Someone did. They posted pictures on another site.

MagicMtnDan
12-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Is that Anza Borrego Desert by any chance? I've seen a number of slot canyons out there.
As for GPS, we recently bought an awesome one - a Garmin 2610 - it's got voice prompts and can be used in multiple cars AND boats. Great screen and can handle bluewater maps (that you purchase).
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2610_2650/gallery/pt-SP261001Large.jpg
$1400 list - don't worry - it's available on the Internet for $799.
Click here for more info on the Garmin 2610 (http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2610_2650/index.jsp)

C-2
12-29-2003, 11:58 PM
Sounds better than a flash mob, or the new dining in complete darkness!

Ntwotrance
12-30-2003, 07:11 AM
A lot of cities are trying to ban it, saying that people are "tearing up the environment when they hide the stuff". I've heard a lot about it, and it is extremely popular (not a passing fad like the "flash mob" C-2 was talking about...speaking of which, can anyone explain that??? most of those people look like fall outs from a cult) and has been around for quite a few years.

coolchange
12-30-2003, 08:40 AM
Weve beendoin our own for years. Weve got Champ and beer buried all over the Mojave and other areas. Kinda dumb sometimes but it gives us sumptin to do," lets make a Champ run."