PDA

View Full Version : Winter Project Update...

SPECTRABRENT
12-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Removed the intake from my Spectra 20 on Saturday. It will be going out to be machined for shoe & ride plate in the next 2 weeks.
Ordered AQ Shaft along with the little pre loader propeller.
Hopefully the pump will be done at the end of January.
Brent

BrendellaJet
12-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Sounds like fun! Who is doing the work? Why the Aquamet shaft? Planning on some horsepower?

SPECTRABRENT
12-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Jim Brock is building my pump & motor.
AQ shaft is for the motor, 540 w/ 1071.
Brent

hack job
12-29-2003, 08:10 PM
sounds pretty cool!!!!!!;)

SPECTRABRENT
12-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Hack,
Hows is your boat coming along?
What up with your brother's boat?
BRent

BrendellaJet
12-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Brent, what kind of power are you looking for?

SPECTRABRENT
12-29-2003, 10:06 PM
I hope to see 900 HP.
Brent

flat broke
12-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Brent,
Your 20 is going to kick ass. I think you'll be able to hit your 900hp mark. Any speed projections with that kind of HP? If anyone knows what a Spectra 20 is capable of, you'd be the first on my list.
As for my 20, the idea is still the same... Make good power with a single carb 496 deal. My heads showed up this weekend and hopefully we'll have data back from the flowbench used to eval some of the AFR units that are running with great success at Ming. This will let us know what kind of potential we are looking at, but I'm happy in the fact that I was instructed to start looking for a stronger impeller :) (does Brock still have the stainless unit out of the Spectra in the first place?) I don't want to start throwing guestimate numbers around because it doesn't really matter until the motor is done and the boat is in the water, but suffice it to say that I'm very optimistic about the final product.
Here are some pics of one of the heads, nothing revealing except the exhaust port design which is different than many of the D shapped ports running around. With any luck the BMF will stand for Bad Mother F**ker :)
http://classicboatbeachbash.com/images/head1.JPG
The runners and chambers are completely CNC machined. Since the DNE valvecover sickers seem to be the hot ticket, I figgured that bling bling high polish valves would further assist in my HP goals.
http://classicboatbeachbash.com/images/head4.JPG
Actually the valves are Ferrara units with particular attention paid to the angles of of the cut on the backside and profile of the edge in the case of the exhaust port. All of this should help get the boat running above 50mph ;)

Cas
12-30-2003, 01:13 AM
and here I thought mine looked good when they came back.
Great looking heads Chris! Aren't you going to feel bad about getting them dirty? :eek: :D

flat broke
12-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Not in the least :D Especially if they run half as good as they look.
Brent,
Is this 20 something we could end up seeing at the 3rd annual CBBB? You know how I love the thought of more cruisers in attendance. :)
Chris

hack job
12-30-2003, 12:00 PM
brent my boat is undergoing some cam cahnges and some sticker changes lol
also the carbs are getting worked. it should be dialed in by mid march i would imagine! i cant wait to see the 24, and the 20!!!;)

SPECTRABRENT
12-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Chris,
I will be interested in what kind of #'s those heads put out.
I have a set of Dart Pro 1's, but they are going in my Spectra 24.
I will need a set of heads for my Spectra 20.
I could not tell you what kind of speed I will get out of this boat, I just hope its over 70. As for the 3rd CBBB, I dont think the Spectra 20 will be done by then (redoing 2 boats is kicking my ass). It will be done for the CBBB #4.
My Spectra 24 will be done by late Feb. early March, the trailer will be done next week. I just added a stainless pivot hitch, stainless fenders, rewire & white paint.
Brent

flat broke
12-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Brent,
I hear you on the boats kicking your ass. :) The heads pictured would be a little small for your blown 540, buuuut they have a larger 350cc runner design that might work well. ;) We'll look forward to seeing the 24 this year at the CBBB and then the 20 in 2005. By then, your old 20 should be done (new gel and interior) so there will be a couple of debuts that year. As for hitting 70 in your new 20, if you don't hit 70 with that motor setup, somethings wrong. I got the 20 to 71 with the twin turbo setup and that was running far less HP than what you have now.
Chris