PDA

View Full Version : Bottom by Bennett-Part 2

BrendellaJet
12-29-2003, 09:00 PM
Mr Bennett came back this weekend and finished the blueprinting of my hull. The bottom was in pretty good shape, so he concentrated on the delta pad removal and shaping the area just ahead of the intake. Heres some pics:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0526-med.JPG
Layin some primer down
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0585-med.JPG
Wet sanding
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0573-med.JPG
Spraying the speedcoat
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0580-med.JPG
All done!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0599-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0600-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0598-med.JPG
Jeff is a great guy and is extremely knowledgeable, and took the time to answer all of my questions. I was also lucky that he was pretty familiar with my bottom design-so he knew what worked, and what did not. He may need to do some more work on it, because there was some mild hook in the outer strakes, but with the amount of power I m going to have, we are hoping It will power through it.

SPECTRABRENT
12-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Brendella,
What is the cost of your bottom blueprint?
I will be looking into a bottom blueprint for my Spectra.
Brent

BrendellaJet
12-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Cost is $50 per hour, plus $50 for materials. Cost for mine was under 500. I think he let me off easy though. He spent the better part of two days on it and also spent plenty of time chewing the fat with me.

moneysucker
12-29-2003, 09:35 PM
I have a smoking deal on speed coating, Graphite coating if anyone is interested.

Cas
12-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Wow! That came out great looking.

BrendellaJet
12-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Cas
Wow! That came out great looking.
Thanks! It will look even better after I spray new gel!

MikeF
12-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
Thanks! It will look even better after I spray new gel!
Looks great and I'm sure you learned some new stuff!
Are you going to go w/ the same colors? Have you finalized the design of what you are gonna put on the hull?
:cool:

SPECTRABRENT
12-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Brendella,
50.00 per hour is cheap!
I will be calling Jeff Bennett soon.
Brent

BrendellaJet
12-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Yeah, i found him to be very reasonable and fair. He could have easily told me that He needed to spend more time, but he didn't-like I said, I think he gave me a deal, because he worked on mine for 12+ hours I figure...

BrendellaJet
12-30-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by MikeF
Looks great and I'm sure you learned some new stuff!
Are you going to go w/ the same colors? Have you finalized the design of what you are gonna put on the hull?
:cool:
I have no idea as far as the design goes. Ive never sprayed gel though-so Im thinking I should just go one solid color-Im thinking midnight blue-no metallic. I have considered getting all crazy and coming up with a design, but I dont want to screw it up either...

fourspeednup
12-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Looks great, can't wait to see the finished product and maybe eventually compare it to my brendella.:cool:

UBFJ #454
12-31-2003, 03:23 PM
4Sp&Up - And what type of Brendella do you have?

BrendellaJet
12-31-2003, 03:29 PM
I think hes got the same hull, a 76 model. Mines a 77. Both are 18ft Bubbledeck jets. I think he has a berk pump though. Mines a Jacuzzi.

Jet Hydro
12-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Ok I want to ask something...
Please don't bash me to hard for this but I just have to ask:::::
How do you plan to load your intake? I see that the bottom is flat in front of it. Just wondering.
I`m sure he know`s what he`s doing so please don't think I`m saying anything bad about his work. I`m just trying to learn something here.
OK let me have it...;)

Jake W
12-31-2003, 05:16 PM
Jet hydro the bubble is not as important on a V bottom as a Tunnel from what I have heard.If that is what you are refering to.So how did Randys No Joke bubble in front of the intake(on his v bottom) that Majic Mike put on work out?
Jake:D

BrendellaJet
12-31-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
Ok I want to ask something...
Please don't bash me to hard for this but I just have to ask:::::
How do you plan to load your intake? I see that the bottom is flat in front of it. Just wondering.
I`m sure he know`s what he`s doing so please don't think I`m saying anything bad about his work. I`m just trying to learn something here.
OK let me have it...;)
Maybe the pics dont show it very well, but it is not flat. It USED to be, but no more. It has a gentle curvature which slopes gently into the intake, which, will load the intak far better than a flat(delta pad) would. Ill try to get a better pic and put it up so you can see.

Jet Hydro
01-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Jake
it worked out just fine making that boat run 92mph untuned. I hope he doesn't get hurt running that thing that fast. I think with a little tuning they might see high 90`s. Way to fast for that V-bottom!
Jake we are all learning how important the bubbles are and what they can really do. We`v found out that the intake opening (((size))) along with the bubble are a key factor in loading the pump at high speeds.
BrendellaJet
Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering if that was the case. (Couldn't see it in the pictures)

BrendellaJet
01-02-2004, 12:54 PM
No problem, I should put up another pic so people can see it better. Ive been told this hull is capable to over 100mph. Im not sure what that means...105...110? Doesn't matter though-I stop at 100.

HalletDave
01-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Doesn't matter though-I stop at 100.
Yeah right :D

TRG
01-02-2004, 03:13 PM
what type of hull would actually benefit from this..."delta pad"?
todd.

BrendellaJet
01-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by HalletDave
Yeah right :D
Well, with this hull anyways...:D
Todd- A delta pad works well on an outboard powered boat-so i've read...They absolutely do not work in jet driven boats. I imagine they could work in anything with a prop, but I dont know enough about it to say for sure. I imagine there are other variables involved such as bottom design, size of boat, etc...

Jake W
01-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Jet hydro that is cool is it working out.the bubble on his was not a monster like the R and D Express but for sure a bubble.I was wondering if would load right.Yea 90s dam fast for the Sunkist V bottom he has.Did he end up running the Berk bowl or the aggressor he had?

Jet Hydro
01-02-2004, 04:21 PM
If I remember right he`s running the Aggressor bowl and an Aggressor M/B "C" impeller.

squirt
01-02-2004, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BrendellaJet
[B]Well, with this hull anyways...:D
Todd- A delta pad works well on an outboard powered boat-so i've read...They absolutely do not work in jet driven boats.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Oh no not again:rolleyes: Unless you'd like to qualify that statment with "above x speed or water conditions" or something of that nature. I've seen delta pad boats go pretty damn fast without problems and have been discussing even this past weekend setups incorporating delta pads that run well over 100 mark. I have no desire to run a jet to triple digits and I'm real sure the bulk of jet owners don't either but the fact that a delta pad hull can do it make blank statments about that hull design seem narrow.

BrendellaJet
01-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Just what I was told-by several pro pump builders and the guy that did the work on my boat.
Its pretty easy to understand why the modification I had done works better than a delta pad.
Its pretty easy to come online and offer up an objection, but thats hardly supporting your opinion, how about some proof? Dont want to pick a fight, but why dont you back it up?

BrendellaJet
01-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Its pretty easy to understand why the modification I had done works better than a delta pad.
Here is how it was explained to me-in household terms...http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0602-med.JPG
Here a spatula resembles the delta pad, notice the stream of water. Now look at the delta pad once filled-
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/212100_0601-med.JPG
Pretty obvious that the curve will help load the pump harder-and at 100 mph im sure pump loading is an issue. Can a delta pad boat go 100? If you say so. I like my chances better after the work has been done.

Foggerjet
01-02-2004, 05:11 PM
That's a pretty damn cool explanation, I guess it works on the principle of adhesion.
pretty tight dude.
Fog

bp
01-02-2004, 05:16 PM
that's very similar to what my keel looked like when jb finished it up last february. the biggest difference is in the transition from the keel to the suction piece, and resulted in loading the boat a whole lot harder with the same setup from the year before. i ended up shallowing the shoe quite a bit as a result. oh, and the boat went a lot quicker too..

squirt
01-02-2004, 05:20 PM
No I'm not picking a fight I just don't like statments that read like yours did, as an absolute "don't work in a jet" . Yes I am more than aware of the spoon gig (running water over it) as for proof......thats what I asked you for not spoons having water run over them. This past weekend I was at the lake with a 90mph delta pad boat and spoke alot with it's owner. I also spoke with an ex builder and setup guy who has run them well over 100. I'm in fact considering modding my bottom so I'm not saying that deltas are better, I'm just saying they do indeed work :rolleyes:

BrendellaJet
01-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by squirt
No I'm not picking a fight
I'm just saying they do indeed work
I dont like fights- But i think BPs post is your proof, as is my little experiment. Give me something more than-"some guy with a 90 mph delta pad boat" & " an EX builder and EX setup guy" The reason they probably aren't "setting up" and "building" any more is because they couldn't grasp the fact that the delta pad is not good for loading a jet drive.
The people im working with are at the forefront of Jet boat racing and set up. Ill take their word over a couple of has beens I've never spoken with.
I guess I should rephrase my statement: Delta pads work. Yes, my boat had one and it moved when I hit the gas. I still think the new design is better- A rocket scientist told me so.

squirt
01-02-2004, 05:36 PM
I dont like fights- But i think BPs post is your proof, as is my little experiment. Give me something more than-"some guy with a 90 mph delta pad boat"
I guess I should rephrase my statement: Delta pads work. Yes, my boat had one and it moved when I hit the gas. I still think the new design is better- A rocket scientist told me so.
What do you need for proof a flipping ride or something!:yuk:
You held up BP as proof that delta pad boats didn't work cause he improved after bottom mods, yet I belive he won a jacket with his hull in the previous design but then again thats a tunnel not a V with a pad. I can't do anymore with this thread and I agree with you that a V is better for loading...ALL I AM, AND WAS SAYING MY INSTANT EXPERT FRIEND, IS DELTA PAD BOATS DO WORK:mad:

squirt
01-02-2004, 05:44 PM
. Give me something more than-"some guy with a 90 mph delta pad boat" & " an EX builder and EX setup guy" The reason they probably aren't "setting up" and "building" any more is because they couldn't grasp the fact that the delta pad is not good for loading a jet drive.
The people im working with are at the forefront of Jet boat racing and set up. Ill take their word over a couple of has beens I've never spoken with.
:mad: :mad: Dude your a ass and are showing your age. I was standing on the ramp while this set up guy (oh by the way he is known) was doing his thing on the boat that was making passes.
2nd of the the guy doing 90 (different guy same day)he was racing before you were born and doing shit with his boat that would set your hair on fire:yuk:

BrendellaJet
01-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Okay, sounds like you had a bad day. All im asking for is for some proof. I never said that BP had a delta pad boat, just that the spoon idea was an improvement.
Anyone on the forums who has followed my project knows the group that Ive chosen to seek for advice-I never said I was a pro. The people I am working with have been doing this a very long time and like I said, are at the top of their game. Since you will only offer up "some guy said this" as your proof, I cant help but question you and your reasoning, which by the way, were pretty weak. Im sorry im not as gullable as you are, I just wanted more info.
As far as your comment about my age-Look at the guy resorting to name calling because he cant prove his point. Get off my thread.

squirt
01-02-2004, 06:08 PM
I cant help but question you and your reasoning, which by the way, were pretty weak. Im sorry im not as gullable as you are, I just wanted more info.
As far as your comment about my age-Look at the guy resorting to name calling because he cant prove his point. Get off my thread.
You right dude I just can't belive my own lying eyes:rolleyes: You instant experts just can't get over the fact that your chosen path is not for everyone. You guys post up statements like "this doesn't work for a jet" and the like and people should just swllow it. All I intended to do as I said in my very 1st post is that delta pad boats work, and for most of the people that own them they work great. Is that so hard to understand there Mr. racer???
Who the hell do you think you are telling someone not to post on this thread :yuk:

565edge
01-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Hey squirt how much shoe did that guy with the delta pad have hanging down?2" probally.I had a delta bottom boat before and they suck!:o .It was a advantage banshee and without extensive bottom work those boats did not work well and the spray over the nose was nice too.But that same boat with a 2.5 merc hauls some ass.

Jake W
01-02-2004, 06:21 PM
A Rocket Scientist told me so.Enough said

squirt
01-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 565edge
Hey squirt how much shoe did that guy with the delta pad have hanging down?2" probally.I had a delta bottom boat before and they suck!:o .It was a advantage banshee and without extensive bottom work those boats did not work well and the spray over the nose was nice too.But that same boat with a 2.5 merc hauls some ass.
no nike at all on that boat doing 90. Just a loader,a ss b imp, a pre impeller, a stout motor, and a 400 lb layup.
What do you mean about the spray over the nose?

BrendellaJet
01-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by squirt
no nike at all on that boat doing 90. Just a loader,a ss b imp, a pre impeller, a stout motor, and a 400 lb layup.
What do you mean about the spray over the nose?
No Shoe on a boat doing 90, all with a delta pad? Right!
My chosen path is for people who like to go fast. The pros I am using are proven winners, period, unlike some ex builder and set up guy who remain nameless. You keep your delta pad, and you can eat my roost at the river.
A 400 lb lay up with no shoe, has a delta pad and does 90!
Sorry bud, im calling bullshit.
As far as the spray over the nose comment, most delta pad boats have the factory shoe hanging so low because the delta pad shortens the keel-yet they keep a regular install on the intake. They cant carry the nose at all with so much bite, and thats where you get the spray over the nose.

youngster
01-02-2004, 08:04 PM
HMMMMM!!

squirt
01-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Now there ya go again. Why must it be Bullshit cause you didn't do it yourself! Did you go to the moon yourself Mr. rocket Scientist or is that bullshit too. So how fast should a delta bottom jet go if your so smart. I'm only stating what I've seen not just heard in this case. Factory shoe????? you got one????? Can't say I've seen alot of jet boats with a factory shoe on them not to mention one that hangs down 2 frickin inches, have you, or just been told.
How fast is a delta bottom jet boat supposed to be there Einstien

565edge
01-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Brendalla jet hit it right with the spray issue.Just imagine how much spray you get when its a picklefork.A SHITLOAD!The earlier daytonas had a delta pad and then the mold was changed.I had a very stout 500" chevy in mine and it went no where.The pump would loose intake pressure up top.If he doesnt have a thick shoe hanging down he must have a loader that sticking way down.My 2" shoe theory is what made those boats run but dangerous(on a advantage banshee).Ive seen them that thick then they start cutting them down

Bow Tie Omega
01-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Hey squirt, we are still waiting for your proof. What I hate more then anything are ignorants like you who spout off "knowing the gospel" of boat building and racing and have little or no info to support your "gospel". BrendellaJet has not only consulted, but hired the likes of Jeff Bennet, Jack of MPD and DNE to help build his boat the right way. Brendella Jet has been nice enough to document his progress to the rest of us for examination and education purposes. So be careful what you say, because when you dog BrendellaJet for his lack of experience/age/knowledge in the subject of jet boating, in reality you are dogging the men listed above who combined have 50+ years of jet boat building/ racing/ winning experience. That in turn makes you look like an ignorant dumbass. So unless you can match or exceed the experiences/acomplishments of the 3 men listed above, You should shut your f_ _ _ _ _ n mouth!!!!

squirt
01-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
Hey squirt, we are still waiting for your proof. What I hate more then anything are ignorants like you who spout off "knowing the gospel" of boat building and racing and have little or no info to support your "gospel". BrendellaJet has not only consulted, but hired the likes of Jeff Bennet, Jack of MPD and DNE to help build his boat the right way. Brendella Jet has been nice enough to document his progress to the rest of us for examination and education purposes. So be careful what you say, because when you dog BrendellaJet for his lack of experience/age/knowledge in the subject of jet boating, in reality you are dogging the men listed above who combined have 50+ years of jet boat building/ racing/ winning experience. That in turn makes you look like an ignorant dumbass. So unless you can match or exceed the experiences of the 3 men listed above, You should shut your f_ _ _ _ _ n mouth!!!!
Wow dude did you even read my posts???? Who said those guys don't know their shit???? Did I EVER say that!!!! Are you the fool!!! As far as proof what would you have me do??? I even posted that I might end up moding my delta pad to a V can't you read!!!!!! ALL I HAVE SAID IS (and please read carefully) a statement that delta pads don't work on jets boats is incorrect and NARROW THINKING. I NEVER said race boats or they were better WTF is wrong with you guys:yuk:

Cas
01-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Brendella,
I've been following your threads and think they're great, nothing real new, but cool to watch and read about.
Just curious, when the people you are using decide to retire, are they going to be an "ex builder" and "ex pump guy"? Maybe the term should be retired builder and retired pump guy. Kind of bugged me with your comments. There are a ton of people out there plenty qualified with tons of experience that aren't doing it "professionally" anymore. There's also a lot of them that have forgotten more than most of the so called pump builders of today know....or is it, think they know. Now don't be taking that wrong, the people you are using are real good! Arguably, as proven on the HB boards, the best around.
Ok, I said my peace, really no need to reply, just something to think about.
I'm gonna grab some popcorn and a pepsi then head back to my seat.

Marlin455
01-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Can you feel the love? I can!:D

Jake W
01-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Cas just dont start telling us how cool Panther pumps are ok.JK
You must know who he is talking about so let these guys know.There is alot of back peadling going on hear.Brendella did say yes it will push the boat but just not as fast as a modifed bottom ,so it sounds like they are both saying the same thing delta works but v works better.
Jake
:D

Bow Tie Omega
01-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah squirt, I did read every post you wrote, do you remember what you said? Maybe you should read what you wrote again and think before you speak. Cas, good point man, I do not think Brendella meant it the way he wrote what you are reffering to. Squirt, do you have any names/references to support your stance, a particular boat maybe that we are all familiar with. Brendella's claims are that delta pads do not work when trying to obtain speeds reaching/exceeding 100 mph, real 3 digit speeds. with his hull type. I have heard this exact same claim 10's of times from other people besides Brendella. Show us a hull type similar to Brendella's that can do this with a delta pad/jet combo. Really, here is your chance, get us an owner, builder, etc who is actively doing this, a real 3 digit speedster, and have him post here and teach us something. Maybe this mystery man you are talking about can educate some of us "youngsters" . This topic is about educating, so have someone present fact, rather then your gospel, otherwise refer to my last post to you.

youngster
01-02-2004, 09:05 PM
hey hey,...easy on the terminology! buddy!

squirt
01-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey Jake....No Cas doesn't know them......well just a little but he wasn't there so he didn't see it. Let me explain why I posted to this thread so I can clear what may be a misunderstanding. Maybe a guy buys a jet that has a delta bottom and comes on here to find info about his hull. Then OH HORROR I bought a pile of shit that won't work at all. When absolute statements are made and names of "the big three" are thrown in to add weight to those statements they can be read as fact. I was a new jet boater once too and found misinformation to be my worst enemy when putting my boat togeather. Not everyone wants to build a race boat so no all solutions are the same. Damn now I'm repeating myself:D

squirt
01-02-2004, 09:09 PM
BTO, I typed it, I reviewed it, but I didn't read anything into it.
Try it again:(
I have clearly stated my thoughts on delta pads what do you think can be accomplished with one

Cas
01-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Naw Jake, I don't know but I do know a couple of guys that are retired that would take major exception if I dropped their names without permission.
If you want to look one of them up, he held the records for UGJ in 1984 or 85. The boat's name was Flashdance, I believe....so long ago, I can't remember if it was that name or Ricochet....crap.
oops, sorry for the highjacking!

squirt
01-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Cas
Naw Jake, I don't know but I do know a couple of guys that are retired that would take major exception if I dropped their names without permission.
That would be why I'm not posting that info. Why would I drag their names into this mud pit.

Cas
01-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Due to my fascination with this thread, I went searching the internet in regards to Delta Pads. Here's what I found:
The delta pad is an acute elongated triangle which starts at the point of the bow and runs back toward the transom. It progressively gets larger as it approaches the stern of the hull. This provides two significant advantages. First, at the point of the triangle (bow) it provides a very sharp entry angle to the water, even more so at speed, and almost eliminates wave slap. This produces a very smooth ride. Second, the wide section at the rear of the hull provides a flat surface to mount any jet intake. The delta pad also provides hull lift to decrease wetted area on the bottom of the boat. Therefore, the delta pad provides a smooth entry to the water line, produces hull lift, and allows correct positioning of any jet intake.
Multiple strakes allow the hull to break up the wetted area between the bottom of the hull and the water. Sharp strakes simply shear water down and away from the bottom of the hull, allowing air to be trapped between the hull and the water. This process actually lubricates the hull with tiny bubbles of air to lessen the suction (wetted area) between the hull and the water. Correct straking will also provide a small amount of lift, decreasing wetted area. Less wetted area per given thrust will equal greater speeds. Strakes will also provide superior handling and cornering traction to hold the hull firmly to the water in very tight turns.
Reverse chines are simply tapering edges of the hull bottom, bent down to supply huge lift and stability at all speeds. Unlike any competing design, our reverse chine continues completely around the hull (360 degrees). This system again provides extreme lift to raise the hull out of the water, producing less wetted area and dramatically decreasing the draft of the hull. The forward reverse chine will shear the water down and away from the bow for a very dry ride. This will keep water spray off the windshield and out of the operator's face.
Since I'd really like to learn a bit more, any chance I can get the info you read Brendella?

Jake W
01-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Who was it that poured the water in?
I respect you not devulging the names, but what would they have to lose if they are retired or no longer making money at this stuff.I really do not care but think it is funny how you think you have to protect them.If guys give you info or tell you something that they dont want to be asoitated(sp) with what good is the info we are not talking top secreat stuff hear it is the bottom of a boat for god sakes.
Brendella does your boat have built in trim tabs?Also do you have the pump back yet?

squirt
01-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Well Jake the 90 mph boat is owned by an old time racer/jetter and they just don't like being involved in this type of thing. I'm kicking myself in the ass for bringing that boat up now. As far as the builder set-up guy he is still doing some work and getting paid. I just met him yeaterday and got to view his work and witness it work but as far as info........I saw Mrsp post a photo of some of his work:wink:

Cas
01-02-2004, 09:48 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3766Jr_did_the_set_up_on_this_pump_E-med.JPG

squirt
01-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Oh lord it must be amature hour;)

Jake W
01-02-2004, 09:52 PM
I thought there might be a conection coming around.:idea:
That Southwind looks bitchen he has my vote for a sanyo set up.
Delta pad smelta pad what do I care I have a gullwing any way right.

565edge
01-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Cas
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3766Jr_did_the_set_up_on_this_pump_E-med.JPG
So how did thid blown southwind run?Why is that pump so far back.Is that bob mansell:D .See if anybody gets that

squirt
01-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by 565edge
So how did thid blown southwind run?
Like a raped ape:D

BrendellaJet
01-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Im not going to respond to this thread anymore. The names of some highly respectable people have been drug into it and I want nothing to do with it. Everyone here knows my position. I want to go as fast as possible with the equipment I have-I think we have already established that a delta pad does not load the pump as effectively as a boat without one, thats it.
Squirt, Im sorry this got carried away. This was supposed to be educational for everyone.
Brian

squirt
01-02-2004, 11:04 PM
And in fact Brian I think it was......Thank you

jweeks123
01-03-2004, 01:31 AM
southwind tunnel looks very trick. those guys did a nice job. why not post a pic of the complet boat.
i wonder how quick it is. i'm used to watching quick jets at lake ming. there's a big diference between beating up on other guys at your local lake and going to ming where you might get some real competition. :D
jw

squirt
01-03-2004, 01:57 AM
Don't get me wrong the weather was bad and the boats couldn't run....much...but as far as competion goes it don't get any better than what was brought to the lake:D
here are a few that were at the lake
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3766Bad_Meds_E-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3766Her_454s_Neurotic_Behavior_E-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3766Plumb_crazy_E-med.JPG

Cas
01-03-2004, 08:09 AM
Brendella,
Seriously, can you let me know where you read all that info? I'd really like to read it. I've done some searches on the net but there seems to be very little out there on Delta Pads. To be honest, what I've found has contradicted your thoughts. Then again, the articles really haven't given a specific speed....just more blanket statements.
You can email them to me also.

Cas
01-03-2004, 08:37 AM
oops, I should clarify something else. What I've been reading isn't specific to your hull or what you want to do which makes a big difference.

bp
01-03-2004, 09:45 AM
just to correct a previous perception, my boat never had a delta pad. i only intended to comment that the center keel and transition look very similar to what mine looks like now. the primary difference between '02 and '03 was in the transition area.
is that boat a southwind, or a mach1? people have cut pods like that over the years, but the results are mixed.

Jake W
01-03-2004, 11:49 AM
BP it is a Southwind thre is a pic of it on banderlog that shows the front of it.And are you sure the pod has been cut?Kinda of just looks like the pump is set back further and it has transom plates instead of the Berk tansom housing.You have a pic of the back of yours?
Jake

Bense468
01-03-2004, 12:30 PM
sorry I screwed up

bp
01-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
BP it is a Southwind thre is a pic of it on banderlog that shows the front of it.And are you sure the pod has been cut?Kinda of just looks like the pump is set back further and it has transom plates instead of the Berk tansom housing.You have a pic of the back of yours?
Jake
if it is a southwind, the pod has definately been cut, no question.

Cas
01-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Bob,
Here's a picture with a little different angle
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3766Southwinds_pump_E-med.JPG

bp
01-04-2004, 05:54 PM
steve, southwinds and the early 80s mach1s are practically identical, except the mach 1 pod was a bit shorter. however, some people back when cut the pod so that popoffs could be installed. the caps for both the southwind and mach1 were made from the same molds; the southwind tunnel evolved into the mach1 after amf bought them out. this is not to be confused with earlier boats called mach1s (pre-80s).
the problem that could be encountered when cutting the pod was porpoising. it took bill rathke quite a while to work the porpoise out of his, but they finally did and it ran quite well, although rather wet.
nice looking boat though; will we be seeing it at bakersfield??

Cas
01-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info Bob. It's always interesting to hear some history on the older boats that a lot of us have. As far as seeing that boat at Ming, I really don't know. I wasn't at the Camp Far West thing on New Year's to talk to anyone. squirt was there so he may have some insight.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Well since there hasnt been too much discussion on bottoms I decided to bump all the threads on bottoms;)

steelcomp
04-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I'd like to know what the material is that Jeff is using to make the bubble.

Duane HTP
04-04-2006, 05:46 AM
Look at it this way. Some boats have been VERY fast with a delta pad. But they may have worked even better with the rounded bottom in front of the pump. That way you're both right, Okay? Please don't get a pissing match started on this good thread.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-24-2007, 11:20 AM
bump for good info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrendellaJet
04-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I'd like to know what the material is that Jeff is using to make the bubble.
The bubble is made with glass. The bodywork is done with fibral & after that rage gold. Atleast it was back in 2002 when I started this project! Cant beleive it has been so long. Will be back on the water in less than a month!!!!:D