PDA

View Full Version : More Speed

SLAPPING_GLASS
12-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Damn looks like when i purchased my boat I should of by passed the 6.2 liter upgrade and went for the big boy hell would of only been a couple grand more well live and learn..Ok on that matter which would give me the most bang for the buck. Already spinning at about 5000 rpm so i guess i could go to a tad steaper prop motor wise which is the best process...

Kilrtoy
12-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Prop and that is it. Save your money and dont get the headers.
If you dont already have thru transom, get it.
Once you start messing with the motor, your relability goes in to the toilet.... If you dont mind wrenching then mess with it...

SLAPPING_GLASS
12-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Thanx for the reply Kilrtoy Yeah I dont wanna loose the realibility,guess prop is my only alternative.Like I said earlier I'm spinning now around 5000 and thats with being trimmed
so I quess a little steaper prop probaly knock it down to around 4800.So headers aren't worth the price in your opinion either I see.I was suppose to have thru transom exhaust but a little mix up and it didn't happen,Now it is just a matter of gettirn my boat back down to aftershock and have it taking care of.??Think I'll pick up any speed/rpm's with a thru trannsom exhaust...

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Thru transom makes a difference.on the top end of about 3 to 5 depends on the boat......

SLAPPING_GLASS
12-30-2003, 12:05 AM
Hell I'll take 3 to 5 miles a day for freee anyday Better get it hitched up and down to the shop a.s.a.p.
Thanx again Kilrtoy

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 12:45 AM
NOT TRUE RD
I ran against an Identical boat as mine to the T
thats T
except thru hull exhuast .
WOW big difference...

SLAPPING_GLASS
12-30-2003, 01:52 AM
Hell who am I kidding I will add the thru transom exhaust just for the damn noise gets get out of stealth mode and if it adds more top speed to boot all the better.exhaust thru transom and a tad steaper pitch and 70 mph here I com (hopefully)

jbtrailerjim
12-30-2003, 06:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLAPPING_GLASS
[B]Damn looks like when i purchased my boat I should of by passed the 6.2 liter upgrade and went for the big boy hell would of only been a couple grand more well live and learn.
When I bought my last boat I swore I would be happy with the (5.7)small block. Well I wasn't and I told myself my next boat will definitely have a big block. The new boat has the 496 Mag and I still would like to go faster. I swear it's like frickin addiction.:rolleyes:

XTRM22
12-30-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLAPPING_GLASS
[B]I swear it's like frickin addiction.:rolleyes:
AN
Extreme Addiction in my case :D , sorry that's the name on my boat. I changed from through hub to through transom w/ Imco powerflows on my old Galaxie and noticed very little difference, maybe 1 mph, I also changed the ignition, dicked around with the carburator, and basically did everything I could do to a 350 mag without going internal. Total result was maybe 1-2 mph, and a big loss of relability. The Galaxie wasn't a very efficient hull compared to Kilrtoy's ShockWave or my current DCB so on another boat those upgrades might be more usable. It has been my experience that the headers and through hull don't make a huge difference on the small blocks. In fact going from factory manifolds to polished Imcos on the 454 in my DCB made very little difference but it loods cool so it's totally worth it!!;) :D :p Lots of cool people on this board with props who might let you try something different without having to buy.
Chuck

rivercrazy
12-30-2003, 09:02 AM
Your best bet IMO is to go the thru transom exhaust route. Then take the boat down to whipple to have the ECM recalibrated for 91 octane. You might see 3-4 mph with these mods.....:D

BowTie Rick
12-30-2003, 09:11 AM
I might be able to help. At K&N, we are just about done designing a flame arrestor for the 6.2L and it looks very promising for enhancing performance. We ran the stock one on our flow bench and found it to be only reaching 60% volumetric efficiency for the 6.2L @ 5000 RPM. Our new one will take you to 100% volumetric efficiency and according to Merc, the computer has a fuel curve programed into it that will handle the increased air flow w/out causing a lean condition. We have no real world testing yet but have talked to a guy that ran with no flame arrestor just to see what would happen and it made a significant difference in his performance. Would you be willing to haul up to Riverside during regular business hours? If so, PM me.

Jordy
12-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Thru transom makes a difference.on the top end of about 3 to 5 depends on the boat......
I'm going to call bullshit on 3-5 mph just from exhaust. Maybe intake, exhaust, new ECM, and a tail wind. :D

rivercrazy
12-30-2003, 10:00 AM
I had two friends that upgraded from through hub to through transom. One had a 454 mag the other a 454 330hp.
Both only picked up about 100 rpm and about 1mph..... But a pretty cheap 100rpm none-the-less.

jbtrailerjim
12-30-2003, 02:40 PM
When I switched my old Essex (small block powered) from through hub to through transom; I didn't really notice any gains in top speed. I really did it just cuz I got tired of operating in stealth mode.:rolleyes:

jerry billet
12-30-2003, 04:13 PM
You should consider the new noise laws soon to take effect. Hate to see someone pay hundreds of dollars for something that may be just more trouble
Jerry

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Call it bullshit, call it what you want.
Im sure the x dim is pretty damn close on two boats if not the same. Ok, maybe one prop had more of a bend than the other if that makes all happy.
It was two bone stock off the shelf motors. Were not talking about to super high preformance boats here.
That was the difference in speed 60 to 63. I STAND BY THAT BULLSHIT.:yuk:

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Actually im referring to the person above you.......
The other parts you posted are just explaining maybe how the difference was attained. I understand that

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-30-2003, 04:46 PM
so quote it don't confuse RD like that.. i have him in a spin already.. J/K :) :) :)

ratso
12-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Being the boat business for longer than probably most people on these boards and doing a lot of rigging, blueprinting, etc over the years, I wouldn't say a 3mph jump is impossible...though it is highly improbable without other modifications. We have done this on numerous boats with stern drives and outboards, and it gives you the sensation of going faster or a "seat of the pants" feeling of going faster. Gps is the only way to really know because speedo error comes into play also. I have a boat I can take out to my local lake and running north shows 2mph slower than running south, explain that one, but that is on my speedo, not GPS. So RD, you are right and Kilrtoy is also right, kind of...:D

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ratso
...and it gives you the sensation of going faster or a "seat of the pants" feeling of going faster. Gps is the only way to really know because speedo error comes into play also....
Maybe the increased sound levels slow down the GPS signals?

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Here is how it goes.
We are at a dead stop
He hits the throttle first, then I do.
I catch him right away and pass him. After we are done I was running 63 and he said he was running 60 and continued to pull away from him(ALTHOUGH it was very slowly).....
All the other stuff, I have no idea about......

ratso
12-30-2003, 07:25 PM
The other night I started pounding my old lady at 9pm, my best friend in Ft Worth started pounding his old lady at the exact same time. If we both stop at 9:30, which of us was pounding the hardest?
Clue...my old lady has bigger tits.:D

Jordy
12-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ratso
The other night I started pounding my old lady at 9pm, my best friend in Ft Worth started pounding his old lady at the exact same time. If we both stop at 9:30, which of us was pounding the hardest?
Clue...my old lady has bigger tits.:D
The one with through transom exhaust on his boat. ;) :D

ratso
12-30-2003, 07:30 PM
Damnit Jordan!!!:D

Jordy
12-30-2003, 07:32 PM
I'll call bullshit all day long on a 3 mph gain with just changing out exhaust, unless there was something wrong, like 3 or 4 of the passages in the exhaust manifold were blocked off. In that case, you might pick up 4 mph, again, with a tailwind. :p :D

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Well Im wrong
GOD HAS SPOKEN, I mean jordy same thing right.
We are talking about 3 mph.....
Now if I said doing 80 in my boat with a stock 454 I can hear the bullshit.
but we are talking about 3 mph on a slow boat(compared to most on her.
So tell us all about your boat jordy, I havent heard about it for a while.......

mmered8299
12-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Were the colors of the boat the same? Because a lot of people tell me my boat looks like it goes fast!:yuk:

Jordy
12-30-2003, 07:54 PM
So tell us all about your boat jordy, I havent heard about it for a while.......
I bet it's been a year and a half since I've started a thread about my boat, so no you haven't heard about it for a while.
It's a jet and has over the transom exhaust so it's 1000 mph faster than one with through transom logs. Is that what you were looking for? :p
God. ;)

Jordy
12-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Well Im wrong
GOD HAS SPOKEN, I mean jordy same thing right.
That's funny. The wrong thing and the God thing, especially coming from someone with a signature that reads:
No matter how much you hate it
YOU KNOW I'M ALWAYS RIGHT.
:rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Dude, where can I and the rest of the peasants pay homage to you

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 08:00 PM
That's funny. The wrong thing and the God thing, especially coming from someone with a signature that reads:
That is always right,
except when speaking to GOD, I mean you

Jordy
12-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Dude, where can I and the rest of the peasants pay homage to you
You're always right. You tell me... :rolleyes: :D
Aside from jokingly giving you the satisfaction by adding "God" at the end of my post, I've never claimed to be.
Why don't you look at all the other posts that don't buy those gains by just adding through transom exhaust? Maybe one of them thinks they're GOD too... :cool:

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 08:03 PM
There just not ask cocky as you seem to think you are.....

Jordy
12-30-2003, 08:05 PM
There just not ask cocky as you seem to think you are.....
As I think I am, or you think I am?
I don't think I'm cocky. But I am CONFIDENT that you won't see those gains without some other factors coming into play.

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Once again you are right
That day I spoke of never happened. I just woke up and realized BOAT GOD(JORDY) has spoken the word of the lord, Amen brother.
Wow all over 3 miles an hour at 60.
I feel sorry for all those people out there that think there boat may go 125 when in fact according to JORDY it is impossible, it can only go 124.445 MPH

Jordy
12-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Just grasping a straws now huh?

Jordy
12-30-2003, 08:32 PM
I feel sorry for all those people out there that think there boat may go 125 when in fact according to JORDY it is impossible, it can only go 124.445 MPH
I suppose that all depends on what kind of exhaust they're running... :rolleyes:

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I suppose that all depends on what kind of exhaust they're running...
...and don't forget the velocity stack.

cola
12-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Well we added through transom exhaust on our old boat. 99 Essex Sterling 350 mag. We picked up 2 - 3 mph & thats no bs. 60 to 62 - 63 mph.
Late, God jr.

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 09:04 PM
COLA STOP LYING
GOD (JORDY) says it aint so, so it must be true
The book of jordy
Thru hull exhaust
page 6
verus 3
line 1
IMPOSSIBLE TO GAIN 3 to 5 mph
PRAISE BE JORDY
AMEN

Kachina26
12-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Careful klrtoy, you're coming close to breaking the first commandment. Thou shalt have no other gods before me

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Careful klrtoy, you're coming close to breaking the first commandment. Thou shalt have no other gods before me
NO you be careful. If JORDY hears you say that he may banish you to hot boat hell and call you the devil. If your real bad he will call you the white devil

JetBoatRich
12-30-2003, 09:15 PM
LMAO

ratso
12-30-2003, 09:16 PM
I think I'm going to mix another drink instead of going to bed. Oh yeah, Kilrtoy, if your wife claimed a 3mph gain then it would be more believable.
Ratso...just joking...:D

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 09:19 PM
I think I'm going to mix another drink instead of going to bed. Oh yeah, Kilrtoy, if your wife claimed a 3mph gain then it would be more believable.
She is not to areodynamic,
If I get rid of her and put over the transom like jordy with a velocity stack and gps fish finder it would have been 5 MAYBE 6 up HILL(OPPPSS I meant up river)

Dr. Eagle
12-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Oh yea, well my boat will do 95 MPH on Interstate 5....:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-30-2003, 09:27 PM
oh yah well my dad can beat up your dad.. :D :D :D

Kilrtoy
12-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Oh yea, well my boat will do 95 MPH on Interstate 5....
YOUR FULL OF SHIT
Jordy says it will only do 92. The air up there is thin.
BOOK OF JORDY
THIN AIR
Page 14
Verus 7
line 3
Boat can only do 92 on I5 in northern california in thin air
So be it
So says JORDY
AMEN

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-30-2003, 09:28 PM
:rolleyes: :D

cola
01-01-2004, 08:24 AM
RD, the Y pipe war removed & the stock risers sent out the transom. I didn't run it through the lights w/ a back-up pass within the hour. j/k I only ran the boat one weekend after I did the exhaust. First pass out with 4 adults in the boat, we picked up 2-3 mph on the top. I don't know where the moon was at though. I sold the boat to Mtdewdrop, it runs very good & sounds better. Well worth the $ I spent. Wish I had installed it sooner.
Late, Mike

Rivertoys
01-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Wow all over 3 miles an hour at 60.
You're suggesting a 5% gain in top-end speed! Not an insignifigant gain in the world of boating. I'd look first to fuel load/total weight to explain the differance, or at least the majority of the differance.
This is my last post on this subject. (I thought I had to say that).
RTJas :D