PDA

View Full Version : dammit duane

quiet riot
12-30-2003, 12:00 PM
You just had to go and get my interest up on the jetaway. Now I took the bearing cap off and look what I found!:mad: :mad:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1036splines_0001.jpg
Now I suppose I should take care of this before I add the couple hundred extra ponies this new motor should make. I assume these splines should be straight :rolleyes: .
Pretty sure this happenned when the al impeller let go at the drags. Funny thing is the shaft still turned true in the back of the pump where the imp is. Matter of fact its only out by a few thou on the front where pictured too.
Is that bearing pressed on the shaft? Does it just come out with the shaft? Don't think I'll be pulling it out over the twisted splines anyhows.
jd

Duane HTP
12-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Yeah, It's time for a shaft. But glad you found it now instead of the middle of the summer.
Yes, the shaft and the bearing come out forward after the impeller is removed. Then the bearing will press off, Don't use that old bearing on the new shaft. Put a new one in.

quiet riot
12-30-2003, 01:17 PM
Duane, I'm guessing what caused this was some air trapped in the bowl. It freewheeled for a split second when I floored it from a stop at the last drags I went to. On the last run one impeller vane tore off and jammed in the pump. I've never had it cavitate before when taking off until I put a droop on it. I'm assuming that burp valve thing you have will take care of that. I was thinking of your inducer but it always pulled hard from the get-go before the droop, what do you think?
Maybe its just time to give you the whole damn pump since I was thinking of going with a jetaway, ss or bronze imp, and now a shaft too.
Do you think a stock shaft should be ok keeping in mind I should be well over 800 hp with the new motor on n2o? Is there any diff with this legend pump over a berkely or is it just the different size exit from the bowl?
Thanks,
jd

Duane HTP
12-30-2003, 02:01 PM
Quite Riot, check your PM.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
12-30-2003, 02:30 PM
GREAT THREAD, PLEASE MORE DETAILS...BILL.

Bense468
12-30-2003, 03:00 PM
I have a shaft sitting in my garage that had the same thing happen to it only worse.

Cs19
12-30-2003, 06:34 PM
You guys need aq shafts, that will never happen again after you get the new one.

TRG
12-30-2003, 07:39 PM
cs...how much is an AQ shaft?

quiet riot
12-30-2003, 11:00 PM
GREAT THREAD, PLEASE MORE DETAILS...BILL.
Don't floor it with n2o if your pump aint hooked up!;) Especially don't do it a couple runs in a row with an alum imp or the impeller will grenade and make the rest of the pump start looking funny like this. BTW, I did take 2nd cause I lost the final when this imp broke and caused the problem (expensive second place that was (billet al imp, pump cleanup, and now a shaft.)
jd

LVjetboy
12-30-2003, 11:21 PM
I was just going to say, al impeller? Maybe the true cause of all that twisting.
jer

HBjet
12-31-2003, 12:46 AM
I didn't think an alum. impeller would cause that, but what do I know, I just pay everyone else to work on my pump...
I'm currently having MPD do my pump and I'm stepping up to a stainless impeller. In doing that, I was advised to also step up to an AQ shaft so I don't have that problem, only worse. My motor makes over 700hp, and next year we plan on adding another 250hp to it. So, we should be in good shape.
quiet riot, are you going to do the inducer now? If not I would still have your new shaft machined to take one. It will make the install later a lot easier. Also, are you having (if you don't already) your bowl and suction piece double bolted for added strength with all of that power?
Good Thread!
HBjet

Unchained
12-31-2003, 05:45 AM
Having the thread named "Dammit Duane" probably isn't doing Duane any favors here.

quiet riot
12-31-2003, 09:47 AM
I'm pricing out a bunch of stuff now. Wasn't planning on doing the pump stuff now, but I'm kinda at a stopping point before installing the motor now. Keep up any suggestions you have. Duane is pricing some stuff out for me (interested in his jetaway, primajet stuff for my app anyhows) but I've also talked to a couple other pep's like jack who helped me make (over the phone) a loader grate for my oddball intake. Aq shaft been recommended by several people.
Anybody got any deals on A cut ss or mag bronze imp, shoot me a pm. I've got a local guy I'm gonna bug at the boat show here in portland next week also.
My pump always hooked up before the droop, I could give it the n2o from a dead stop and it would grab hard. Do you guys think I could have a need for a inducer with a couple hundred more ponies?
jd

quiet riot
12-31-2003, 09:55 AM
hbjet, if you're looking at adding an n2o kit and you're thinking of racing it, I'd recommend a plate kit with alot of adjustability like the cheater or big shot. They're easy to change one fuel and one n2o jet to adjust to the bottom of whatever bracket you're gonna race, in diff atm conditions. Not quite as effic as a port fogger system but easier to add/sub 25-150 hp without changing a whole bunch of jets.
jd

Jet Hydro
12-31-2003, 10:12 AM
quiet riot
Just something to look at::
Is your boat nosing up to high on the hole shot now that you have added the droop? It can suck a lot of air if it does, cavitate real fast.
With a droop a Prim A Jet is a must in my book`s.
Congrats on the runner up ;)

quiet riot
12-31-2003, 10:31 AM
Is your boat nosing up to high on the hole shot now that you have added the droop?
No, I cut the droop down to take most of the up angle and a little of the droop out of it cause my hull didn't like it at higher speeds. Boat stays pretty flat at launch.
Congrats on the runner up
Thanks smartass, doesn't happen very often.;) One of two times my boat had issues in 8 years, the other time an msd box died.
jd

LVjetboy
12-31-2003, 10:49 AM
"I didn't think an alum. impeller would cause that"
When the aluminum impeller blade let loose, the resulting carnage within the pump stopped the shaft from turning enough for the engine to twist it. So if Riot had had a SS impeller, that shaft would probably still be fine.
jer

quiet riot
12-31-2003, 10:55 AM
When the aluminum impeller blade let loose, the resulting carnage within the pump stopped the shaft from turning enough for the engine to twist it. So if Riot had had a SS impeller, that shaft would probably still be fine.
Pretty much the story, I tried to cheat the hp with a billet alum, but just wasn't enough to cover up the cav prob. Still prob upgrade the shaft, prices seem to be the same as stock.
jd

Jet Hydro
12-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by quiet riot
Thanks smartass, doesn't happen very often.;) One of two times my boat had issues in 8 years, the other time an msd box died.
jd
Wasn't meaning to be a smartass..
I know how hard it is to just make runner up so I was just saying congrats.
Sorry you took it wrong. :confused:

LVjetboy
12-31-2003, 11:18 PM
Good choice riot. I've got AQ. Just responding to HBjet questioning how an aluminum impeller can cause drive shaft twist.
jer

wsuwrhr
01-01-2004, 10:34 AM
I did the same thing to my stock Jacuzzi shaft the first time out. Added about a 1/4" of twist to it. I'll post a picture of mine later.
I made another shaft out of heat-treated stainless, solved that problem. It's only money right?
Brian

TRG
01-01-2004, 08:29 PM
AQ $ ??????

likwidsukr
01-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by quiet riot
jd :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wsuwrhr
01-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
AQ $ ??????
I built mine, but if I remember, they were around 500.
Brian

TRG
01-01-2004, 09:23 PM
so...brian? you makin anymore? todd dont you work in chino?

wsuwrhr
01-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
so...brian? you makin anymore? todd dont you work in chino?
I do work in Chino. Directly across from you on Benson.
Don't you have a Berk pump?
Brian

ChetCapoli
01-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
I built mine, but if I remember, they were around 500.
Brian
Mine was $350 and came with the bearing....
CHET

wsuwrhr
01-03-2004, 03:53 AM
The 17-4 shaft from the Legend site was $400.
Brian

RD Express
01-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Unchained
Having the thread named "Dammit Duane" probably isn't doing Duane any favors here.
I agree Unchained. I clicked on it to why someone was mad at him.