PDA

View Full Version : whats up everyone...oil changeeeeeee

afi823
03-25-2006, 05:33 PM
got a question...i need to change my oil. is the bag under the pan a good way to change it? i dont think i have any other options... :mad: also...its a 460..so how many quarts of new oil should go in? what kind of oil? and which oil filter??
thanks for takin time to answer my lame nOOb questions..haha goin to parker on mon...cant wait
Chris

502 JET
03-25-2006, 05:55 PM
I use an electric pump with a hose that drops into the pan thru the dipstick tube to pump out the oil pan.The amount of oil needed depends on how large your pan is.If your dipstick reads full before removing the oil measure the amount removed and then refill with that the amount plus add extra for filter capacity.For the oil filter I would use the largest filter you can fit for extra oil capacity.Check with performance filter manafactures for a filter of larger size.

El Prosecutor
03-25-2006, 06:28 PM
And I have only done it once. Next time should be a lot easier.
My original setup was a nightmare. The stock drain plug sat about 1" above the end of a screw coming up through the intake housing. To make a long story short, I sawed off the end of the screw and installed one of these:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252drain_kit.jpg
Which is great. Remote oil drain - should work great next time.
I tried the bag thing, but couldn't get it positioned right. Then I folded a turkey pan down flat and stuffed it under, then spred the sides back out to catch the oil. Worked great, except how do you get the turkey pan out with all that oil in it?? Thought I would sleep on it; next morning all the oil had leaked through a small hole in the pan and into the bilge. Sucked it all out of the bilge with a shop vac. Actually, if I hadn't purchased the pigtail dealy the shop vac really isn't a bad alternative (if you aren't real meticulous about your bilge or your shop vac). Another advantage of the pigtail besides neatness is that I had to take the alternator off to reach the original drain plug. Now I can just drop the end of the pigtail out the bilge drain hole, take the cap off, and watch the oil pour into a jug.
Good luck, I hope you don't have to work at it as hard as I did. . .

SmokinLowriderSS
03-26-2006, 02:06 AM
Drain hose kit is the only way to go, but the plastic bag would be my next step (good trash bag, not a thin cheapie, maybe even 2-layered) filled with enough kitty litter to soak up the oil.

BOOGEYMAN
03-26-2006, 04:07 AM
i run a drain hose and it's great!!

Red Horse
03-26-2006, 04:19 AM
Get the drain plug kit and you will love it. To get all the oil out of the bilge I use some Dawn dishsoap. Squirt some down there and let it get to work. I have gone to the lake and at the end of the day when I pull the boat out I squirt some in there, and put a little water in the bilge. I dont recommend pulling the plug unless you are already on the trailer. Dont cover the thrust bearing of your jet. Let it slosh around on the way home. When you get home drain it. Works pretty good.

shootingstar72683
03-26-2006, 04:55 AM
Get the drain plug kit and you will love it. To get all the oil out of the bilge I use some Dawn dishsoap. Squirt some down there and let it get to work. I have gone to the lake and at the end of the day when I pull the boat out I squirt some in there, and put a little water in the bilge. I dont recommend pulling the plug unless you are already on the trailer. Dont cover the thrust bearing of your jet. Let it slosh around on the way home. When you get home drain it. Works pretty good.
Great idea to wash it on the way home. Take the advice and get the drain kit.

DansBlown73Nordic
03-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Last year one of the guys in are group had a flywheel weight come off. It cut the drain hose in half. It was lucky he saw the oil in the bilge. :crossx: :crossx:
Some guys use a shop vac. They start the vacum and hold it up by the hole. Pull the plug and every drop goes into the vacum. Not a good idea on a brand new vacum.... :yuk:

atxwrangler
03-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Last year one of the guys in are group had a flywheel weight come off. It cut the drain hose in half. It was lucky he saw the oil in the bilge. :crossx: :crossx:
Some guys use a shop vac. They start the vacum and hold it up by the hole. Pull the plug and every drop goes into the vacum. Not a good idea on a brand new vacum.... :yuk:
Sounds like the hose saved a nasty crack from being put in the bottom of the boat.i bought a small vacuum from a pawn shop that works well with the hose kit.

GunninGopher
03-26-2006, 08:10 AM
I was in your situation when I bought my first boat in 1991. I learned the soap in the bilge trick from an old school jetboater. I was griping to him about all the grime in the bilge that I couldn't reach and that wouldn't come up. I did as described above and it was perfect after trailering out to the river. Just don't pump into the water if you are concerned about the water quality where you boat (I am).
You will definitely need it if you try the trashbag method. I believe that there are environmental concerns if you decide to go the kitty litter route since I don't see how you will be able to recycle the oil. If you use a shop vac, watch out for the oil splattering out the shop vac. I had to do it once and it was sprinkling oil all around so I draped a rag over it and it helped a lot. A trash bag, shop vac and soap in the bilge will do it, and you will end up with a clean boat, but it is a messy process.
Whatever you do now, make it easier on yourself by taking the above advice and getting a drain plug kit. Warm up the engine before changing the oil and it will work better. I install a cheap fuel pump on the end of the drain line and pump it out. I know that Moneysucker does the same thing. If the oil is warm it will drain it really fast.
Check this thread in the tech forum. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58535)

jtmarten
03-26-2006, 08:22 AM
I use one of these and it works very well. Takes about 15min to pump the old oil out.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/169222693_f.jpg

stashtrey
03-26-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm also curious about the amount of oil to put in a stock 460 Ford motor....
I use that 'Oil Boy' thing. Did it last night..... I think I paid $45 at West Marine last year. It sucks it right out no problem.
Also... can anyone tell me what it means if my old oil is a little on the dark side? It was thick.... and a lot darker than it was when I put it in.... almost black.
I put 4 quarts of oil in it and figured I would let it sit for a while to see where it shows on the dip stick.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Should be 5 w/ filter but start it up ,shut it off , let it sit a few minutes and check it again. By the way, putting some liquid soap in the bilge before going out and after you pull off the water is a great idea, I 've been doing it for years. Problem is when I get home I forget to pull the plug and it's dried in the bilge! Maybe that's why I like to put some in when I go out. Budlight

Aluminum Squirt
03-26-2006, 09:17 AM
The drain pan hose is the best way to go, IMO. I also take the end of the hose and pull it around the back and place the end up on top of the motor somewhere and zip tie it up there. That way if you lose the cap it won't gravity feed all of your oil into the bilge. Just snip the zip tie and feed the line out the bilge drain hole when you are ready to drain the oil. It also keeps the hose from flailing around in rough water or rubbing on anything-Aluminum Squirt

Cas
03-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Easiest way for me was to just take it to the Oil Changers down the street and let them suck it out for $20.00.
Next was the vacuum pump method, just like the picture above....took too long for my liking.
Next was the drain hose kit until the rubbing on the bottom of the hull wore a hole in the hose which in turn put about 5 out of 8 qts into the bilge. That really sucked and almost ruined an otherwise good weekend on the Delta.
The final and current set-up, drain hose with a braided stainless steel brain cover. The hose is long enough to put through the transom drain and into a oil container. I made a plug to plug off one of the valve cover breathers and another airhose adaptor for the other. Run pan drain into container, plug one breather, add air to the other and within about 2 minutes, oil is out.
real easy, real quick and real clean....so far :)

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Easiest way for me was to just take it to the Oil Changers down the street and let them suck it out for $20.00.
Next was the vacuum pump method, just like the picture above....took too long for my liking.
Next was the drain hose kit until the rubbing on the bottom of the hull wore a hole in the hose which in turn put about 5 out of 8 qts into the bilge. That really sucked and almost ruined an otherwise good weekend on the Delta.
The final and current set-up, drain hose with a braided stainless steel brain cover. The hose is long enough to put through the transom drain and into a oil container. I made a plug to plug off one of the valve cover breathers and another airhose adaptor for the other. Run pan drain into container, plug one breather, add air to the other and within about 2 minutes, oil is out.
real easy, real quick and real clean....so far :)
How many pounds of air pressure do you put in it? I'd worry about crank case seals. If you blow by one, it'll never seal again. Not a good idea in my opinion. but that's my opinion. Budlight ps. just stick the hose out the drain plug hole and let it drain overnite.

wet77
03-26-2006, 10:47 AM
just made a oil drain line on Friday for my 10Q milodon pan.
Bought a port thread swivel ninty in earls fittings and a 3 foot piece of auto flex hose with a fitting and plug on the end.
This will reach up to the top of the boat (10an will not fit through drain hole)
then I hook up to one of those $3 drill pumps and set the drill to speed let her go untill all the oil is out and into a container.
Works best when motor is warm just from the lake (20-50w)
Parts where $80 for the fancy earls stuff and $5 for the rest but at least no more shop-vacing out the bilge!! :220v:

Cas
03-26-2006, 10:49 AM
only takes about 5 or 6 lbs. I've even used my mini shop vac with a foam rubber filter....doesn't take much.
I also made an adaptor to use the shop vac with the pictured hand pump vac, that worked ok also.

sleekcrafter
03-26-2006, 10:51 AM
As stated above, the best time to drain is at the end of the day, after some hard play. When your 20W50 is hot it will drain 12qts in about 20 minutes. the only mess you will encure is from your filter change, depening on what you are running, ie; stock or remote filters :)

afi823
03-26-2006, 01:06 PM
thanks for all the replys...
one last thing though, since i dont have the drain tube installed right now, am i going to have to drain the oil into the bag or bilge the first time and then install the hose?
Chris

GunninGopher
03-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Yes, that I why I recommended being prepared to make something up to do it easier in the future.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-26-2006, 03:53 PM
thanks for all the replys...
one last thing though, since i dont have the drain tube installed right now, am i going to have to drain the oil into the bag or bilge the first time and then install the hose?
Chris
Naw, just pull the motor out first. :D :D

n8dawg
03-26-2006, 06:21 PM
I use 2 trash bags myself and keep a 5 gallon bucket next to the boat.
I run Castrol 40wt. with a fram oil filter. My pan is 10qts.
Good luck bro
Nate