PDA

View Full Version : New to the V-Drive World

Chief
12-30-2003, 07:31 PM
Hi everyone
Well Im new here and to the world of Flat bottom V-Drives. I bought my boat a few months ago from a great guy in Middlefeild Ohio. I saw her sitting there in his yard after driving by it at least 6 times. (Its 45 minutes out of my way to drive by it). No engine but she was looking very fast just sitting there on a Mr Ed? Tandem axle Trailer. I knocked on the guys door and we started to talk. He offered her to me for $3000. She came with everything but the Engine. I got 2 sets of headers the mounts the V-drive (Casale) drive shafts etc, and many more parts and not to forget the trick skiis also! More than that the guy has offered to help me build an engine and do it right as he has the shop and tools and especially the knowledge. He has built many Engines as I could tell buy walking around his garage and witnessing his Blown 55 Chevy, 2 Blown T-buckets and hundreds of pictures of him in previous days building and racing his boats and cars. My boat is a 1971 18' Mandella. Im hoping to meet new freinds here and learn from you all the in and outs of building and flying this awsome boat. Im planning on building a 454 because thats what all of my parts that came with it are for. Im currently looking for a chromer to recrome my pipes and a rubber neovane impellor for my water pump. My water pump has Master Craft engraved on the case so If any one can tell me where I could start looking for this I would appreciate it. I am also trying to figure out where peopel with the same interest gather in my area or within a few hundred miles. Im located in Vienna Ohio near Sharon Pa.

coolchange
12-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Mandella- damn fine boat, could be the last boat you own if you take care of it.

DetroitJim
12-30-2003, 08:00 PM
Hey chief,
You're in for some great times, nothing beats a v-drive flat for speed and handling. Sounds like you have a good mentor and a Mandella is a good boat. A healthy 454 will get you to 80 mph no sweat, 100 if you want it bad enough. There is a club that races over near Sunbury PA, they are at dvbrc.com. The Michigan club is at michigan***boats.com. We have members and meets in the Toledo area. Gets some pics posted if you can!

Chief
12-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Jim
I posted a picture is it not there? I will try to get more. Cant wait till spring to put her on the water. Thanks for the info Ill check them out in sunbury.

Hud
12-30-2003, 10:49 PM
;) :rolleyes:

BILLY.B
12-30-2003, 11:08 PM
You wouldn't happen to be related to Jim "Chief" Anderson would you?. By the way, I think a guy by the name of Larry Neeb that post on these boards once in awhile is building the same type of boat as you just picked up. Good luck there CHIEF !!!!:D

DansBlown73Nordic
12-31-2003, 01:38 AM
Congradulations....Maybe this will help.;)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=547753

Chief
12-31-2003, 06:05 AM
:cool:
Hi Billy B No I dont know him. The Chief comes from my work place Im in the Navy and hold the Rank of Chief Petty Officer. So I am called Chief all the time. As a matter of fact I think thats my first name now. It sounds a little better than Scott!

Chief
12-31-2003, 06:06 AM
:) :D
Hi Dan how did you do that?

vdriver4ever
12-31-2003, 09:08 AM
Great to hear from some one new to the sport. I have a 71 Nordskog v-drive. It is a splash off of your hull. The bottom and sides are identical. However the deck, nose and back of the boat are entirely different. I guess it's just like it only different! As one would say.... I am in Idaho not too close to your boating area. When I leave I tend to head south and not east.
Good luck with it and most of all have fun!!!!

CircleJerk
12-31-2003, 03:17 PM
Billy, Too bad that folks just cant describe their find and embark on a new exciting v-drive project without others thinking its an Anderson thing! For that we can thank the pranksters.
Chief, welcome to the biggest v-drive fan club and bunch of practical jokers-racers you'll find anywhere! Your Mandella is a great boat and I had the opportunity to drive one of the better ones belonging to Flat Rat, here on the forum. He is the original owner and towed it from Calif. to Washington in 1970 or 71 with his 67 big block Elcamino! I will let him tell you about his BBC power {supercharged} and some of the fun we have together with the Nostalgia Circle boats. He is a great guy with a super wife to back him up {she's a great trailer backer too}. Looking forward to your pictures and general questions since this is the place for plenty of opinions both good, foolish and just plain BAD!! TheycallmeaJerkandIdontknowwhy.....:smilespi:

Boatmike
12-31-2003, 09:46 PM
Welcome Chief! In the boat world the v-drive world is the only world!

Chief
01-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Thanks boat mike! Seems like good people inhabit this place. Glad to be here!