PDA

View Full Version : Who writes off their boats

OutCole'd
12-30-2003, 07:40 PM
Does anyone here write off their boat as a second home?
How is it equipped? Head, water?

Kachina26
12-30-2003, 07:42 PM
I plan to on the new boat. Running water, place to sleep, and a place to go. I hope that's all I need.

OutCole'd
12-30-2003, 07:47 PM
My accountant is completely against using the boat as a business expense. He believes it is a red flag and a guarantee for a audit.
Does it need running water? Is a washdown system good for that?

JetBoatRich
12-30-2003, 08:37 PM
My accountant said the same thing, but each year he RV and cars are not left off. :D

OutCole'd
12-31-2003, 07:58 AM
Nobody else writes off their boats? What about the second home delio?

Xray50
12-31-2003, 08:01 AM
I just get a second mortgage. No questions asked.

Havasu Cig
12-31-2003, 10:41 AM
We write our's off, and our accountant is very conservative. It has a porta potti, and a cabin with a place to sleep. You can use a small portable bbq for a cooking surface.
We write our house in Havasu off as a rental, and the boat as a second home. Our desert trailer is attached to the Havasu house as a write off, although I am not exactly sure how he does that.

91nordic29
12-31-2003, 10:45 AM
"We write our's off, and our accountant is very conservative. It has a porta potti, and a cabin with a place to sleep. You can use a small portable bbq for a cooking surface."
same here.:cool:

OutCole'd
12-31-2003, 12:41 PM
What about water? Do you need a sink?

CA Stu
12-31-2003, 12:59 PM
There are several ways to "write off" your boat on your taxes:
As a second home, needs a place to sleep, a place to poo, and a place to cook.
Through buying it for cash with a second mortgage / refinancing your house (I used this angle).
As client / employee entertainment. I don't know the exact language, but it's to "promote positive relations" or some such like that.
Your best bet is to talk to a respectable boat dealer, I reckon. It's in their best interests to explain how to minimize the cost of your boat and as suich I expect they'd be pretty hip on this subject.
Remenber, to avoid taxes is legit (and a good idea), but to evade taxes is illegal.
Good Luck
CA Stu