PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhnald to Raise Ca. Park Fees

JustMVG
12-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Park fees set to reach new heights
BECAUSE OF BUDGET WOES, STATE SAYS, CLOSING SITES WAS ONLY OTHER OPTION
By Paul Rogers
Mercury News
California's parks department, staggered by the state's budget problems and trying to avoid closing dozens of parks, announced Tuesday it will raise entrance and camping fees to their highest levels in history.
Some fees will more than double at California's 277 state parks, which range from redwood forests to ``Baywatch'' beaches, desert ghost towns to mountain ranges, and battlefields to Lake Tahoe shoreline sites.
Getting into Hearst Castle, for example, will jump from $12 to $25.
Entrance fees at many Bay Area parks -- including Big Basin Redwoods, Half Moon Bay State Beach, Mount Diablo and Mount Tamalpais -- will increase 50 percent, to about $6 per car, and possibly by a few dollars more on holiday weekends.
The biggest shocks to some outdoor lovers will come along the sunny Southern California beaches that receive millions of visitors each year. Visiting Huntington State Beach in Orange County, for example, will increase from $5 to $12 per car, and up to $14 on busy weekends.
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger described himself as an environmentalist and lover of the outdoors during the recall election. On Tuesday, his top lieutenants described the fee increases, which take effect July 1, as unavoidable and said they should negate the need to close any parks as the state struggles to eliminate its $14 billion budget deficit.
``After repeated budget reductions, we have reached the point where there is no other choice,'' Parks Director Ruth Coleman said. ``This is a reasonable solution to help get the state through hard budget times. The plan keeps the system open and operating while also keeping it as affordable as possible for all Californians.''
Several environmental groups and Democratic lawmakers contacted Tuesday said that while they worry the cuts will lead to a drop-off in attendance, particularly among low-income residents, all choices are bleak.
``We think this is a reasonable response to the budget crisis, and much preferable to closing parks,'' said Sara Feldman, a spokeswoman for the California State Parks Foundation, an advocacy group in Marin County.
``Parks will still be available at reasonable rates to people. And even if they can't go to their No. 1 choice, they still will have other choices available to them,'' she said.
The chairman of the Assembly's Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee agreed.
``People have to face the reality that if they don't want tax increases and they want the budget balanced, they are going to face difficult choices,'' said Assemblyman Joe Canciamilla, D-Martinez. ``This is one of the easiest decisions that will be made this year.''
Replacing funding
Other options, including commercial sponsorship of some parks -- an idea floated by then-Gov. Pete Wilson and rejected amid public opposition a decade ago -- also should be considered, Canciamilla said.
The raises, which do not require legislative approval, will raise $18 million next year, assuming a 15 percent drop from the current 85 million visitors a year, said John Shelton, chief of state parks concessions and reservations in Sacramento.
That money will offset a proposed $15 million cut in Schwarzenegger's 2004-05 budget to the state parks' $272 million annual operating budget, and leave a little left over for back-logged maintenance projects.
Ron Brean, deputy state parks director, said the fee increases have been in the works for at least four months -- before Schwarzenegger took office. If they are not imposed, the state will have to close up to 100 parks, he said.
The increases highlight a stunning downturn in state parks' fortunes over the past three years. On Jan. 1, 2001 then-Gov. Gray Davis cut fees in half, from $6 to $3 at many parks -- the lowest entrance fees since 1986. He also eliminated boat launch fees and slashed entrance fees at state museums.
But only months later, as the dot-com economy soured, tax revenues fell and state lawmakers continued to spend at record levels, the state opened a massive deficit.
Last December, Davis quietly undid much of his earlier fee cut, raising entrance fees from a maximum of $3 to a maximum of $5.
Under Schwarzenegger's plan, the maximum entrance fee will be $14. Most Northern California parks will cost $6 to $8 to enter. Overnight camping fees will jump statewide from as much as $13 to a high of $25 for basic sites, and as much as $39 for recreational-vehicle sites with hookups. Annual passes, at $67, will increase to as much as $125.
State parks superintendents also will be given new discretion to lower entrance fees in slower weekday or off-season times and raise them during weekends and summer.
Spending constraints
In a wider sense, the parks' basic problem is that there is a fortune to buy new land, after voters passed more than $9 billion in parks and water bonds over the past three years, but there is no money for rangers because of the state's deficit. Bond money can pay for maintenance, repairs and land purchases -- but not salaries, which make up more than two-thirds of the parks budget.
``I don't like the idea of raising fees,'' said Fred Keeley, executive director of the Planning and Conservation League, an environmental group in Sacramento.
``But I applaud the department for being honest about what their choices are. The real solution is to increase the size of the general fund,'' either through higher income taxes on the wealthy or sales tax on services, he said.
Endowment proposal
Two years ago, Keeley, then a state assemblyman from Santa Cruz, proposed that Davis create a $2 billion state parks endowment from the budget surplus to pay for park operations with the interest. Davis declined.
``These parks are treasures,'' Keeley said. ``All Californians inherit them. We have an obligation to pass them on intact and enhanced to the next generation. It costs money to do that. We should be willing to pay it. It is an important legacy.''

Rexone
12-30-2003, 11:43 PM
I should know better than to post on political topics. :p

Bow Tie Omega
12-31-2003, 12:41 AM
Rexone, while I agree it does suck, Arnold was left holding a great big bag of crap so to speak, courtesy of that brain child Gray Davis. With a Democratic Legislature trying to get even with Arnold for the people throwing Gray Davis out, he does not have many alternatives. While I thought that increasing the auto registration fee 3 times was obsurd, I would have been ok with a 50-75% increase, and I think that it was over ambitious of Arnold to repeal it completely. I like the idea of a corporate sponsorship program of area parks, as long as it does not include any kind of partial ownership of the areas sponsored. I also think that opening up Diamond Valley Lake to boaters, while not a cure for the defecit, would be another source of new revenue worth millions. I have no problem with people bitching about something, but offer up some alternatives to correct the problem. Arnold is going to have to make some very unpopular decisions in the months to come, but if you ask me to choose between him and another politician, I choose him. Like Jessie Ventura, he is a breath of fresh air, and he is serious about serving the people, not one party or his own personal interests. I think in hind site, we will all look on this as the right choice for California.

INXS
12-31-2003, 12:51 AM
Seems he got some numbers from our governor hear in Jersey, Mc Greedy!
INXS

Rexone
12-31-2003, 12:58 AM
:)

Bow Tie Omega
12-31-2003, 01:10 AM
As far as Diamond Valley Lake, yes it is owned by MWD. The land prior to was owned by the Dominegoni Family. When the Dominegoni Family sold the land to MWD, it was with the understanding that it would be a full use lake, which would raise the surrounding land prices for the Dominegonis to sell to developers. Parks and Recreation was to handle that aspect of things. MWD breached contract upon completion of lake, it is now in litigation with the Dominegoni Family and Developers. More details in the years to come

v-drive
12-31-2003, 02:42 AM
You go Bow!
:cool: :D :cool: v-drive

MagicMtnDan
12-31-2003, 06:27 AM
Anyone whining about the increased parks fees should simply call up their liberal, free-spending, Democratic legislators and former governor Gray Tax-and-Spend Davis and thank them for making enjoying our natural resources so very unaffordable.
Arnold is in a fight with the legislature with both hands tied behind his back - they're doing all they can to keep him from taking an ax to their free-spending programs and high taxes.
And if you don't like it why don't you propose an alternative?

Bow Tie Omega
01-01-2004, 10:02 PM
How about raising Loto Tickets up from $1.00 to $1.50 , sending the 50 cents towards the defecit. While this alone would not cure the 4 billion defecit, think of how much new revenue it could generate for the state. IMO, if we all can afford to spend a dollar on a ticket, what is another 50 cents

Dr. Eagle
01-01-2004, 11:13 PM
This will affect beaches like Bolsa Chica and Huntington State Beach, lakes like Folsom and Oroville, facilities like Brannan Island in the Delta and lots of other places. It is a bummer, the fees will go from 67 to 75 per year for a pass plus the boat launch sticker that goes from 45 to 75. What is really the shits is that if you have a double jet ski trailer you pay for two boat stickers. So now it is going to be 225 a year which seems a bit excessive when two 10 foot "boats" are paying twice what I would have paid for my 30 footer.
But perhaps better to collect fees for use rather than taxing the crap out of everybody in the state...
:eek:

Dr. Eagle
01-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
How about raising Loto Tickets up from $1.00 to $1.50 , sending the 50 cents towards the defecit. While this alone would not cure the 4 billion defecit, think of how much new revenue it could generate for the state. IMO, if we all can afford to spend a dollar on a ticket, what is another 50 cents
Right answer...
STOP SPENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bow Tie Omega
01-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Well, the only problem with that is that the murderers do not go to jail, the fires do not get put out and the children do not get to learn, other then that, your idea sounds great:confused:

Dr. Eagle
01-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
Well, the only problem with that is that the murderers do not go to jail, the fires do not get put out and the children do not get to learn, other then that, your idea sounds great:confused:
BS.:mad:

v-drive
01-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Well that was a really intellegent comment dr eagle. Enlighten us with your ideas, let me guess put davis back in so he can finish screwing us. :mad: v-drive

Bow Tie Omega
01-02-2004, 07:30 AM
What do you expect, he is a Kings fan, he will be on the short end of the stick with that too! GO LAKERS

Infomaniac
01-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
I should know better than to post on political topics. :p
So do I but sometimes I cannot help myself.
The state of CA needs to re-evaluate the welfare system. DUH !!
At least cut off payment to people that entered the country illegally, had a child and now live on the state.

Jordy
01-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
What is really the shits is that if you have a double jet ski trailer you pay for two boat stickers.
They should charge anyone with a PWC at least triple anyway, just for the aggrivation factor.
You won't find any sympathy on this topic here... :D

v-drive
01-02-2004, 05:23 PM
That is not earth shattering news info. He took office in November so why not give this guy a chance instead of picking him apart. I still haven't heard any ideas from dr eagle.
v-drive

Infomaniac
01-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by v-drive
That is not earth shattering news info. He took office in November so why not give this guy a chance instead of picking him apart. I still haven't heard any ideas from dr eagle.
v-drive
My comment was not directed against Arnold. :confused: :confused:
Just a mere suggestion.
I guess you were right Rexone.

mike37
01-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Those fees don’t seem all that hi for what you are getting
It cost a lot to keep things working so if you use the place you should help pay for it
If I don’t use it I don’t pay

Kilrtoy
01-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Those fees arent expensive at all
We pay more to use Castaic Lake....

Dr. Eagle
01-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by v-drive
v-drive
I say let him do his job too. I have no problem with the increase in park fees, other than the reason that they have to raise them or take funding away is because the Tax and Spend Democrats spent the government into a huge hole.
And you are not going to hear any ideas from Dr. Eagle...this subject is REALLLY getting OLD and has been beat to death. The government overspent and set in place INSTITUTIONAL OVERSPENDING on a collosal scale. This needs to be undone, but each little political group that was pandered to over the last 5 years can't possibly do without this or that program....
SO there is a saying in politics. Firemen First. It means cut fire and police services first to make people uncomfortable and give in to new taxes. That is exactly what is going on here. That is why I call BS.
Fact is Counties need to KEEP the revenue the state CONFISCATES from them, so they can pay for their OWN schools and services, instead of the current system where the state gets ALL tex revenue in the GD state and decides who gets how much back.
Adjusted for population growth and inflation the budget SHOULD have gone up 25% since Gay Davis came to power. It actually increased over 40%... that is the problem, OVERSPENDING, Revenue actually increased 27% even with the economic downturn, so again problem? OVERSPENDING.
I have no other brilliant ideas to offer, because to me MISMANAGEMENT has caused the problem and NEW TAXES ARE A NON STARTER.
As far as the Lotto...if you want to pay 50% more for a ticket, why not just buy 50% more of them? I will continue to NOT BUY ANY.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:http://www.riverratlife.com/forums/board/ubb/graemlins/bsflag.gif

Kilrtoy
01-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Goverment over spends in all aspects not just the GOV.
So this place buys computers.
The same thing you and I would buy for $900 at circuit city
they spend $3,300.00
Now you tell me whats wrong with this picture.....
Now you do the math,
THEY BOUGHT SOMEWHERE in the neighborhood of 10,000 of them at that price. Talk about waste......

Dr. Eagle
01-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
They should charge anyone with a PWC at least triple anyway, just for the aggrivation factor.
You won't find any sympathy on this topic here... :D
Well if you take that kind of a tack, perhaps they should charge us for our boats by the Decibel or maybe a buck a foot, or by the MPH??? Point is the impact to the launch facility is the trailer/tow vehicle combo, not the number of watercraft.
I know a lot of people on this board dislike PWCs, hell I used to as well. Until I bought a couple of them myself. I have just as much fun on my skis as on my boat, they just arent as easy to kick it (lounge) on.........:eek: :D

Dr. Eagle
01-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Goverment over spends in all aspects not just the GOV.
So this place buys computers.
The same thing you and I would buy for $900 at circuit city
they spend $3,300.00
Now you tell me whats wrong with this picture.....
Now you do the math,
THEY BOUGHT SOMEWHERE in the neighborhood of 10,000 of them at that price. Talk about waste......
Kilr you are right on. They pay above market list prices for EVERYTHING. Computers to pencils and erasers. My neighbor has an IT contracting company, and he says the State Gov projects are like 100 to 130% gross margin...:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
01-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Ahhhnald is now the Paahkunator....

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Ahhhnald is now the Paahkunator....
Or the Recreatonator........