PDA

View Full Version : Ephdra Ban!

INXS
12-31-2003, 12:32 AM
I took the stuff, I believe it goes under its natural name of Ma Huang, in the body building supplement Ultimate Orange, which no longer uses it. It has a speed-like effect if you take two or three times the recommended amount as I did. Being I very good shape it did not seem to have any adverse effects on me, but I can see how it could effect someone who first starts out exercising.
But what was the real reason for it being totally banned? Could it be that it’s one billion plus in sales each year were cutting into the prescription diet pill profits?. Kind of think that with probable 100k people taking it that the 100 or so people that died may be just the normal death rate for that number of people.
I remember when the clinton administration went after L-thriphame, which is a great body building aid and a great alternate for slipping prescription sleeping pills. They claimed that about 10 people, out of the tens of thousands that took it died. Well it got banned in the U.S. but is still sold around the world with no further claims of deaths. I think the democrats and the Republicans are in the same boat on this one.
INXS

XTRM22
12-31-2003, 06:40 AM
I'm with you on this one. I've fought a weight problem my whole life. Back about 6 years ago I had been losing the battle and was up to about 240 and 24-25% body fat. None of the gimicks ever helped, and doing it the right way (sensible diet and exercise) showed results so slowly that it would get depressing. I tried Metabolife w/ephedra and followed their suggested program for about 6-7 monthes. I got down to 188 and 17%. I still used metabolife to jump start my metabolism when I get off track. This ban bothers me because 1st the non ephedra suppliments don't deliver the results, 2nd I just don't like the government protecting me from myself.
Chuck
ps I'm at about 218 and 20% now but I'm working on it.

hot_diggity_dog
12-31-2003, 08:29 AM
I don't use it and I don't use supplements.
My friend lost his 39 old brother from using it. He had a heart attack. Come on 39 year olds don't just have heart attacks out of the blue.
His death was caused by Ephedrine, he was one of the few that had the heart problems associated with Ephedrine.
Chuck I would rather see you on the Lake at 250LBS than see you in a box at 185LBS buried 6 feet under.
HDD:cool:

INXS
12-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by hot_diggity_dog
My friend lost his 39 old brother from using it. He had a heart attack. Come on 39 year olds don't just have heart attacks out of the blue.
His death was caused by Ephedrine, he was one of the few that had the heart problems associated with Ephedrine.
Chuck I would rather see you on the Lake at 250LBS than see you in a box at 185LBS buried 6 feet under.
HDD:cool: Sorry to here about your friends brother. Unfortunately I know someone, my Wifes girlfriends husband, he was 38 years old and was in good shape and died of a massive heart attack. Also my Dads friend, 43 years old, died of a massive heart attack. He was about 100 pounds over weight and just started taking perscription diet pills about a month earlier. The stuff is very potent and I feel that their should be some regulation on it potency. I listened to a radio show on it this morning and everone that called in that used the stuff said that there may be some risk but that they feel that the results fare out-way the risks. Most people said its the only thing that worked for them. The drug companies are only going to clone there version of it and patend it. We'll pay more for it and it will probably be more dangerous.
INXS

SCUBA STEVE
12-31-2003, 10:07 AM
I use the stuff, but just once a day to get me going for my morning work outs. I beleive if its your time its your time, no matter what. Look at smoking for instance, I am sure we all know smokers who have smoked for years with no ill effects.
I also get my blood work & have a physical every year like your supposed too. So far I am in good health.
If they do ban it, I guess I can survive w/o it. But like INXS said it should be my choice. :wink:

LOWRIVER2
12-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Just went out and bought 2 cases of ripped fuel,
It's all in getting proper health checks and moderation. That stuff is hard to beat on 20 hour tactical missions, keeps my guys alert, ready for action. Helps on max weight lift days as well.
I'll miss it, hopefully some other supplement will fill the void.
Caffeine just does'nt work when sitting point all night in the cold on a stake out, sorry.

Havasu Hangin'
12-31-2003, 10:26 AM
Doesn't that stuff support the 909's economy?

MobyMan
12-31-2003, 10:32 AM
I rarely post on here, I'm mostly a lurker, buuuuuuuuutttt,
I have just about had it with all the BULLSHIT, YES I SAID BULLSHIT accusations about Ephedra. In every case that resulted in death or hear attack, the consumer had either massivley increased the recommended dosage, were drastically overweight, and out of shape, or their family had a history of high bood pressure or heart trouble.
Most if not all Ephedra products say to consult your physician prior to using them. Most Ephedra products warn you not to exceed the recommended dosage. Every Ephedra product I've ever seen has a warning label of some sort on the bottle.
I can't believe it when I see all the uneducated press telling there one sided stories. Just once I'd like the interveiwer or reporter to dig a little deeper, and ask questions like.
Did they even bother to read the instructions prior to taking it???
How much did He/She take before the incident???
Did they ever consult a physician prior to taking it????
Did the person have high blood pressure, or a history of heart trouble in their family????
If a family member or friend of mine bought a case of beer, drank the whole thing, and died of alchohol poisoning, It would be his or her own ****ING FAULT!!!!
For anyone who thinks that Ephedra is too dangerous for adults to use responcibly, I suggest you look into the actual cause for these rare instances of heart attacks, or deaths.
My spelling and grammer are probably all ****ed up, but I just get so sick and tired of ****UP RETARDS who can't seem to except responcibility for their own actions.

XTRM22
12-31-2003, 10:36 AM
HDD, I'm sorrry about your friends brother, I do know that suppliments are a double edged sword. I also totally agree w/ the sentiment at the end of your post, :D There are people in this world who have a variety of reasons for taking the things they do. It's not always just a complete lack of sef discipline. 2 years ago my wife was in the hospital for a week do to illness, in that week she lost 11 pounds. I was in the same hospital, also w/ an illness for 5 days on the same IV drugs and the same hospital diet, I gained 3 pounds. When I'm not working out physically, my metabolism slows to a crawl, yeah if I'd been in the hospital that way for a month, I would eventually have started to lose. When I start seeing results it encourages me to work harder for more results, but I can see where a lot of folks would use positive results as a reason to use more suppliments, I watched a High School buddy go that route w/ steroids, he got huge, but also had a heart attack in his thirtys. Sorry to ramble, I guess I'm trying to self justify.
Chuck

91nordic29
12-31-2003, 10:41 AM
my cousin, age 27, died in her sleep from some sort of heart failure. she had a 3 kids, one 5, one 3 and a 3 month old baby and was taking it to lose her "baby fat". now her young husband and kids are without her.

gnarley
12-31-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by MobyMan
I rarely post on here, I'm mostly a lurker, buuuuuuuuutttt,
I have just about had it with all the BULLSHIT, YES I SAID BULLSHIT accusations about Ephedra. In every case that resulted in death or hear attack, the consumer had either massivley increased the recommended dosage, were drastically overweight, and out of shape, or their family had a history of high bood pressure or heart trouble.
Most if not all Ephedra products say to consult your physician prior to using them. Most Ephedra products warn you not to exceed the recommended dosage. Every Ephedra product I've ever seen has a warning label of some sort on the bottle.
I can't believe it when I see all the uneducated press telling there one sided stories. Just once I'd like the interveiwer or reporter to dig a little deeper, and ask questions like.
Did they even bother to read the instructions prior to taking it???
How much did He/She take before the incident???
Did they ever consult a physician prior to taking it????
Did the person have high blood pressure, or a history of heart trouble in their family????
If a family member or friend of mine bought a case of beer, drank the whole thing, and died of alchohol poisoning, It would be his or her own ****ING FAULT!!!!
For anyone who thinks that Ephedra is too dangerous for adults to use responcibly, I suggest you look into the actual cause for these rare instances of heart attacks, or deaths.
My spelling and grammer are probably all ****ed up, but I just get so sick and tired of ****UP RETARDS who can't seem to except responcibility for their own actions.
Maybe you should stay a lurker? You have no idea what any of the deaths resulted from so why don't you get off your egg crate and go back into the closet. Did you hear what the FDA needs to provide and do to stop a product from being sold?
There is no limit on what may be sold if it meets the guidelines of a supplement and it is very difficult to stop the distribution of a product by the FDA. The FDA is almost useless in stopping anything. In this case the FDA had to provide tons of information to get this product pulled. In your case do you have any information that provides support for your statements? I doubt it.
I tried using a dietary supplement with Ephedra in it & that crap made my heart rate go up more than ANYTHING I have ever done before, and I followed the directions. Sure maybe it has helped some people loose weight but it has been linked to many deaths as well with proof. So what would you do if you had all the proof??? Any sane rational person would undoubtedly choose to save lives.

CA Stu
12-31-2003, 10:59 AM
Oh well, looks like it's back to meth for me then. :mad: :) :mad: :o :confused: :wink: :cool: :mad:
CA Stu (ever notice how people on dope have mood swings?:wink: )

hot_diggity_dog
12-31-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by XTRM22
HDD, I'm sorrry about your friends brother, I do know that suppliments are a double edged sword. I also totally agree w/ the sentiment at the end of your post, :D There are people in this world who have a variety of reasons for taking the things they do. It's not always just a complete lack of sef discipline. 2 years ago my wife was in the hospital for a week do to illness, in that week she lost 11 pounds. I was in the same hospital, also w/ an illness for 5 days on the same IV drugs and the same hospital diet, I gained 3 pounds. When I'm not working out physically, my metabolism slows to a crawl, yeah if I'd been in the hospital that way for a month, I would eventually have started to lose. When I start seeing results it encourages me to work harder for more results, but I can see where a lot of folks would use positive results as a reason to use more suppliments, I watched a High School buddy go that route w/ steroids, he got huge, but also had a heart attack in his thirtys. Sorry to ramble, I guess I'm trying to self justify.
Chuck
I have no problem with people who want to use it, or that use it. I just think with every drug you need to be cautious, as it may effect you differently than someone else.
I do believe that until they ban Cigarettes they should not ban products like this.
I think this is good press, as it will make the user who is not following the instructions pay more attention.

XTRM22
12-31-2003, 11:03 AM
Yup, time to go to the gym, now where is that crack pipe?:p
Chuck

hot_diggity_dog
12-31-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by INXS
Sorry to here about your friends brother. Unfortunately I know someone, my Wifes girlfriends husband, he was 38 years old and was in good shape and died of a massive heart attack. Also my Dads friend, 43 years old, died of a massive heart attack. He was about 100 pounds over weight and just started taking perscription diet pills about a month earlier. The stuff is very potent and I feel that their should be some regulation on it potency. I listened to a radio show on it this morning and everone that called in that used the stuff said that there may be some risk but that they feel that the results fare out-way the risks. Most people said its the only thing that worked for them. The drug companies are only going to clone there version of it and patend it. We'll pay more for it and it will probably be more dangerous.
INXS
I agree with the young Heart attack age factor, but his Death was attributed to Ephedrine use.
Maybe he didn't follow the instructions, I don't know.
But what I do know, is he is not here anymore!frown:

gnarley
12-31-2003, 11:10 AM
I have no problem with people who want to use it, or that use it. I just think with every drug you need to be cautious, as it may effect you differently than someone else.
I do believe that until they ban Cigarettes they should not ban products like this.
I think this is good press, as it will make the user who is not following the instructions pay more attention.
HDD the problem with Ephedrine use is that it is NOT a drug & thus is NOT regulated SO anyone can take it & as much as they want. Ephedra is a supplement and supplements aren't regulated.

hot_diggity_dog
12-31-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by gnarley
HDD the problem with Ephedrine use is that it is NOT a drug & thus is NOT regulated SO anyone can take it & as much as they want. Ephedra is a supplement and supplements aren't regulated.
True,
I was just using it as a reference to Cigarettes, alcohol etc. for the ban.

MobyMan
12-31-2003, 11:34 AM
Gnarly,
Do you know many deaths are PROVEN to have been a direct result of properly controlled Ephedra use???
This product hasn't been pulled it's still for sale some states, and readily available on the internet.
Before you decided to take it, did you consult a physician?
Do you excersise regularly? did you prior to taking Ephedra?
Do you or any of your family have a history of hypertension, high blood pressure or heart disease?
Did you ask any of these any of these questions prior to taking it?
I did all of the above prior to taking Ephedra, and I haven't had a single issue in over a year.

gnarley
12-31-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by MobyMan
Gnarly,
Do you know many deaths are PROVEN to have been a direct result of properly controlled Ephedra use???
This product hasn't been pulled it's still for sale some states, and readily available on the internet.
Before you decided to take it, did you consult a physician?
Do you excersise regularly? did you prior to taking Ephedra?
Do you or any of family have a history of hypertension, high blood pressure or hear disease?
Did you ask any of these any of these questions to taking it?
I did all of the above prior to taking Ephedra, and I havn't had a single issue in over a year.
I did all you asked, Dr. said it was ok, still didn't like it. Do you know how many were a direct result? I frankly don’t care if it was 1 or 1000 if there has been enough proof then the regulation changes due to that proof that the FDA must provide, I do trust this part of our system. I feel even more like it must have been a real threat to stop distribution, as the Bush administration is very pro business oriented and rarely does anything to limit business in any way.
YOU said you didn't have a single issue, good for you, but you can't judge everyone else's tolerance to a given substance and how it might affect them, everyone is different and have different levels of tolerance.

Havasu Cig
12-31-2003, 12:02 PM
I used to use Ripped fuel several years ago prior to workouts. I used to take two pills and drink a cup of coffe with it. It definitely helped with the work outs, but after I felt like I was having a heart attack one day in the gym I stopped using the stuff.
I was in very good shape at the time. I was 218#'s with about 6% body fat and was benching 405. I was using more then the reccommended amount so I know I might be to blame, but the stuff scarred me after that incident.
Just my experience.

MobyMan
12-31-2003, 12:19 PM
Gnarly,
I don't claim that I know all. My point is, the press has led a witch hunt whith regards to Ephedra without ever taking time to investigate the reports on an individual case level.
Take the Pitcher for the Oreole's baseball team. There was a huge investigation into that instance. Initially everyone was jumping on the band wagon blaming Ephedra. What they found out after a thorough investigation was that he had been taking an extremely exagerated amount, his family had a history of heart problems, he was at least forty pounds overweight when he entered spring training, and his half brother had died from heat exhaustion a couple of years earlier.
Did the news follow up and report any of this after the investigation was completed?
NO!

gnarley
12-31-2003, 01:51 PM
MobyMan, you don't get it, it isn't safe even though some people can take it safely. What about the other people who might have an unknown or unidentified risk even if they have seen a Dr? I have been hearing the medical profession talking about it for several years and suggesting that the health supplement industry needs regulation, as there is no stopping what they might sell as a supplement as long as it does not already fit into a regulated category.
You might feel different if you knew someone that died from it, not that I did. I am just looking at both sides and feel health supplements need some controls and testing.