PDA

View Full Version : THOUGHT FOR OLD LAVEY

not guilty
04-24-2003, 04:52 AM
See youre doing a few things to add a little hp to youre 460 ,have you thought about removing the water-circulation pump on the front and re-directing the raw water.
I do this on mine ,in my opinion the pump on the motor is a waste of hp and is not needed since we have ample water pressure available.I get the parts from eddie marine (about $100.00)and do all the fabricting/modify myself.Still run a thermostat with a bypass so motor runs up to temp ok.
Actually they dont tend to get HOT burningm after a hard run and coming back to idle like they use to.
Let me know I'll pot some pics and info :) NG

Outnumbered
04-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Never thought or heard of that trick. Makes sense. So I guess the drive impeller does all the work? If the impeller goes would KEEPING the recirc pump buy you a little time :confused: Is it a noticeable difference in power? If you have some pix I'll take a look.
Thanks for the idea,
OL

not guilty
04-25-2003, 06:06 AM
The impeller really does it all anyway , if it goes out you still have no suuply of fresh water to the motor or exhaust so damage is going to happen.
I run sensors in my motors to warn of overheat and water pressure gauges.
Best insurance is to start the season with a fresh impeller anyway, I get them for about $10.00 and it only takes about 10 minutes , actually if I run almost every weekend I change them again mid season.
Cant really say how much HP gain it would be but est. about 15-30.Takes some money to make that and its all ready there. :D
Besides it looks cool too. eek!
I'll post some pics later , have ope on the stand going together now so should be able to take some clear shots. NG

joe
04-25-2003, 10:46 AM
I have a 82 laveycrat with a 330 and a trs outdrive it it does not have a impeller in the drive it has a pump on the engine and goes to the bottom of the hull do i need the circulating pump

not guilty
04-26-2003, 09:56 AM
No ,thats the way we set my brothers boat up with a raw pump on the front of the motor driven from the crank pulley , it was a sbc so we got a cross over kit for it . NG

joe
04-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Thanks I am building a new motor for the lavey it will be around 550 hp and I didnt want to run the water circulation pump I think the crosover looks alot cooler thanks :D

ldillow
04-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Know anybody that wants to buy an 87 sebring 20'2" 454/bravo 1 combo? I have put large oval ports with flowing, stealth manifold, 950 holley, larger stainless valves, lunati nitrous cam, new springs/retainers/lifters, rewarder thry-transom headrs, nose cone, and it will spin a 27P close to 95. I need to sell it because my family drove me carzy about the noise and hassel climbing over the motor, so I ended up getting a stoker outboard. I know, I'm a pussy, but oh well, still married. I'll try to post pic. 14K with tandem. gonna miss her......

ldillow
04-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Can't see how to do a picture?

Sun burners
04-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Does this work for EFI engines?
Thanks MIKE