PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Opener Question

JetBoatRich
12-31-2003, 10:17 AM
Looks like mine went south on us. What is your recommendation, screw drive VS chain, etc.
The door is heavy and will be replaced in 2004 with a roll up, so it needs to be compatible with both.
I am headed down in a little while to buy a new one:o

mirvin
12-31-2003, 10:24 AM
Hey Rich, I got one of those Gennie screw drives and a new vynil door about five years ago and the Gennie stripped the gear and stopped working.
I'm not saying I can't fix it, just a bummer and I'll probly just go get a new one instead of trying to deal with taking it apart and getting a new part from gennie. Home depot doesn't carry the parts. I'll have to order from Gennie directly and you know how that becomes a pain!!
Let me know what you get.
Mirv:cool:

JetBoatRich
12-31-2003, 10:30 AM
the one we have now is a Sears, chain drive, been on for 8 years. The door is a flip up, wood. It will be replced ASAP, need an opener now. My daughter forced it open the other day and stipped it out inside the unit.

Rod-64
12-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Screw drives are far superior.......in fact...........I'll be replacing my parent's chain drive soon..........Screw the chains.:D

JetBoatRich
12-31-2003, 10:34 AM
What is the main reason, because they are quiet or stronger.

riverbound
12-31-2003, 10:47 AM
I used to work for genie, the screw drives are both quieter and stronger than chain drive units

XTRM22
12-31-2003, 10:49 AM
I would use either, just as long as it is manufactured by Chamberlain. Sears, Montgomery wards and several others are Chamberlain. I like the chain drive for ease of repair, and the screw drive for ease of maintenance. I wouldn't recomend the Genie brand, once the patent ran out on their screw drive system Chamberlain started building them better. At 1/2 hp either one will do the job you need. I've had 100 of the screw drive Chamberlains installed in my subdivision in the last year with very few problems. I also rebuilt my old chain drive at home thats 15 years old.
just my .02, good luck
Chuck

quiet riot
12-31-2003, 10:50 AM
my screw drives have been working good for 20 years (well ever since they were put on after the house was built in 1981.) I just put a little high temp grease on the lead screw once every couple years if they start to get a little noisy or slow.
jd

Ducatista
12-31-2003, 10:56 AM
The screw drives tend to be more quite and can be stronger "if" you buy a quality unit. Alot of the screw drive units use plastic screw components that will strip out after awhile. A good screw drive unit will have metal components. My good friend had his car broken into on a Sunday night, while it was parked on his driveway. They used his garage door opener in the car to open his" nice quite screw drive door opener" and rolled out his 2004 Aprilia Futura and rode off! So ther can be an advantage to the noisy chain drive units! I have got 2 Sears chain units on my doors for the last 12 years...still working. Hope this helps....just a couple of thoughts

Stupid Fast
12-31-2003, 11:04 AM
I am a BIG fan of chain drive. Less parts. It is louder but a very simple design. If your springs are adjusted right either will do fine. DONT try to ajust thhe springs yourself though. VERY dangerous.

CA Stu
12-31-2003, 11:04 AM
I have one of each on 2 side by side doors (don't ask).
I installed both of them.
There ain't much difference, but given the option, I'd go screw type. Seem more solid. Without that chain flapping around and so on.
I installed garage doors for a season 20 years ago, therefore I am an expert.
Good Luck
CA Stu

JetBoatRich
12-31-2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the help, off to sears to get a new opener.:(

mirvin
12-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Yoy've inspired me too. I think I'm gonna get ahold of Gennie and order the new gear and fix mine!!
Yippei!!

JetBoatRich
12-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by mirvin
Yoy've inspired me too. I think I'm gonna get ahold of Gennie and order the new gear and fix mine!!
Yippei!!
I hate doing it by hand:eek:

mirvin
12-31-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
I hate doing it by hand:eek:
uh huh huh huh huhuhhuh...he said "doing it by hand" huh huh huh huh:D

TrojanDan
12-31-2003, 11:50 AM
Bought the Chamberlain one from Costco for $149 bucks (had a $20 instant rebate). Came with all the goods (two remotes, exterior keypad) and lifts my garage door lickity split. Paid a guy in Havasu $85 to install it since I didn't want to waste 3 days figuring it out.
:cool:
BTW: if you need the one foot extention for the 8' door, they really screw you. It cost me $40 bucks for the stupid extention! How can a one foot extention equal 25% of the price of the entire unit? :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
12-31-2003, 03:32 PM
Well, I was little curious and took the cover off the opener. Found the main gears tore up. Called the local Seras Service center and they carry a rebuild kit ($34). Hour later, maybe 2 hours after lunch and we are working again.
Still replacing the door in 2004, but for now all is good to get the boat in and out of the garage.
Thanks for the input, looks like the chain drive is good to go another 7 years or so.

CA Stu
12-31-2003, 03:40 PM
Since you rebuilt it anyway, did you at least bore it out .060 over and put a nitrous kit on it? :)
CA Stu

JetBoatRich
12-31-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
Since you rebuilt it anyway, did you at least bore it out .060 over and put a nitrous kit on it? :)
CA Stu
I left the NOS for now, the cam was changed and new carb:eek:

Kilrtoy
12-31-2003, 03:49 PM
I called a guy,
I think it was 320 and it was over. Yes its cheaper if you do it yourself. BUT TIME is money and I dont have either ......
So I paid the guy,
If I did it it would be a 5 week job.....

CA Stu
12-31-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Stupid Fast
I am a BIG fan of chain drive. Less parts. It is louder but a very simple design. If your springs are adjusted right either will do fine. DONT try to ajust thhe springs yourself though. VERY dangerous.
To adjust/replace the springs on a non-rollup, secure the door OPEN (either with a ladder or some 16 penny nails), secure the bottom of the springs to the chain on the lag bolt first, then lift the top hook over the appropriate part of the hinge. Remember to lift with your legs.
Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for any injuries or damages you may incur while using this techique.
Like SF said, it is a tricky job and unless you are confident with what you're doing you could really hurt yourself, ya dummy.
CA Stu

Rocky
12-31-2003, 04:52 PM
Go with a Liftmaster belt drive. It is very quiet and one of the best.

SMFRiverRat
12-31-2003, 04:58 PM
I use a 5'8" redhead. She hates getting out in the rain but my car needs to be inside at night.

LUVNLIFE
12-31-2003, 05:50 PM
Rich when I saw this thread I did not realize your opener was broke. I was going to tell you to push the button to make it work:D

JetBoatRich
12-31-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by LUVNLIFE
Rich when I saw this thread I did not realize your opener was broke. I was going to tell you to push the button to make it work:D
Thanks Cale, never thought of that:(

Beautiful Noise
12-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Thanks Cale, never thought of that:(
Figure's...........lol:D