PDA

View Full Version : Video Coverage At Portland Poker Run

HP350SC
12-31-2003, 02:15 PM
I am looking to get some ideas from anyone familiar with filming poker runs on video. There are 5 or 6 bridges over the first few miles so we thought about having wives, friends etc. on every bridge with video cameras and also at various other points along the way. Would cameras have to be the same format? Also, does anyone know of a reasonable video editing company or friend? Several people I have talked to so far would pay $50- $100 each for a well edited video(approx.40-60 boats total). We are also going to try to get some local TV coverage. Hell I would put giant removeable TV8 letters on my bow! That should attract a helicopter!

C-2
12-31-2003, 03:03 PM
Marv from Pix n' Flix does our Heatwave poker runs at Havasu. He sets up the onboard cams etc.
Where you at Marv?

Richard Cranium
12-31-2003, 09:03 PM
I can send you a DVD example of the videos I've been doing for our group. I have onboard cameras, stationary cameras, etc. Give me your email address and I can send you an example of what I've been doing.
Marv

HP350SC
01-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Marv- check PM

beer truck
01-01-2004, 08:15 PM
I was hoping to make the Portland poker run last summer, but the boat was being painted. My business partner has a robinson r44 helicopter, and I might be able to pusuade him into flying down to Portland if you got someone who can film it.

HP350SC
01-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Beer Truck- I spoke to Marv today, I will be meeting with Tim and Ruby (who organize the poker run) tomorrow to discuss the logistics of all this. Marv is a pilot himself, although he is too far away to bring his own aircraft. He recommended renting a helicopter for an hour or so. Marv would ride with and instruct your pilot on the best technique to capture poker run video. Hopefully your business partner can do this! Thank you very much for responding!....will be in touch. Mike

HP350SC
01-01-2004, 11:09 PM
By the way Beer Truck, NICE setup there. I just bought an '03 Lightning myself for towing the boat. And I thought my truck and boat looked good!

beer truck
01-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks Mike
looking forward to talking to you about the run. here's a nice shot of the helicopter

HP350SC
01-02-2004, 10:38 PM
OK, you guys are on! Let me know when you can confirm the Robinson as well as any details you would require. What is max. speed and time it can remain in the air? We are waiting for a DVD that Marv mailed along with his costs to see if it all fits in the total budget of the poker run. Thanks in advance, Mike.

cruser
01-02-2004, 11:12 PM
You'll need to be real careful filming from a chopper through downtown Portland. Those bridges are very close together when you're going 60 or 70 mph.
cruzer

beer truck
01-02-2004, 11:35 PM
I forwared the thread to my business partner (helicopter owner / pilot) he is out of town for a few days, should have some answers early next week.

HP350SC
01-03-2004, 01:12 AM
Great, keep in touch.

Krazy K
01-03-2004, 09:03 AM
I'm getting my video business up and running and would be glad to help you guys out. I don't have anything on demo as of yet, but would be willing to contribute for free as it would give me footage for a Special Interest demo tape. I might be involved in the poker run itself. I'm looking at having an onboard setup where I cold take video from my boat. Let me know if we could work together.
Keith

Krazy K
01-03-2004, 09:07 AM
About the cameras being the same format...with a video like this, it won't matter much. It can be taken care of in post-production. They should all at least be digital.
Keith

HP350SC
01-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Krazy- Any footage you can provide would be of help. You could get some good video from your boat if you parked in some strategic locations. The final decisions of who or what video company will be up to Tim and Ruby as they organize the event . It requires so much of their time that I wanted to help out however I could. There has been some interest from the Rose Festival committee which would really get this thing to take off!

beer truck
01-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Hey Mike
talked to my partner, and he is very interested. weather conditions could be the only issue. the robinson will do 120 knots, and call stay in the air for 3 hours before refueling. the doors are removeable for easy filmimg
Don

HP350SC
01-04-2004, 12:26 AM
All right Don! I'm surprised at the capabilities of the chopper ( I figured 90mph and 45 min. airtime). Might possibly be able to land at Willamette park boat ramp with a permit? You never know with all the elevated security. Weather is usually excellent in July-where is Lynnwood WA.?

beer truck
01-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Lynnwood is just north of Seattle. He can land the helicopter anywhere, as long as he has the property owners permision. That can be the tricky part sometimes. We have landed it at the King County fairground for the Les Scwhab car show last summer, as well as lake Tapps. Just need to do some convincing .

HP350SC
01-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Ok we'll let you guys figure work out the landing site/permission/permit stuff. Would be best to land at boat ramp in downtown Portland...my guess is might be tricky to get permission? Ideal landing time before the start would be 7:30-8:00a.m. Poker run is in a "Y" shape so would be easy to get footage since boats double back on the Columbia. PM your address and sizes and we'll send you some shirts.

P P R
01-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Mike , thanks for getting this thread started. And thanks to everyone who has showed interest. As we all know safety is number 1 ! Hopefully with everyones help ,we can pull this off. And make the portland poker run even a better event in 2004. (Thanks again ) Feel free to call (503)793-2164 THE PORTLAND POKER RUN

Steamin' Rice
05-19-2004, 08:30 AM
TTT for HP350SC...