PDA

View Full Version : Trim problems

HAVASUKID
08-03-2003, 09:52 PM
ok, I have a mercruiser 7.4, 1998, this weekend in havasu I was headed into Disneyland with my drive up parked for an hour and started driving back, my drive would not go up or down, I checked the fluid it was low. I filled it up. my trim will go up but not down off my throttle control but I have a swith hooked up to the transom which worked both up and down.. ok heres the biggie. when I throttle past ten miles an hour my throttle control trim switch will work both up and down. when I slow down or stop my trim switch at the throttle will go up but not down,, any ideas...

JAM
08-04-2003, 03:25 AM
I'm no expert in this area, but if I'm hearing you right it sounds like you've isolated the problem to the trim switch or wire lead(s)at the throttle.

HAVASUKID
08-04-2003, 08:51 AM
I would think so, but it works when I accelerate..

Just Tool'n
08-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Maybe there is a short to ground or a pinched wire in the handle, hence when you move it forward it goes back to normal.
Stranger things have happened, I had a ploblem on a GM van, when tilt wheel was down would not operate turn signals. When up worked fine.
Had mech tear apart the column, and low & behold smashed wires!

TCHB
08-06-2003, 07:03 PM
It sounds like you may have low voltage and the trim will not operate. I have seen this with loose battery cables.

HAVASUKID
08-09-2003, 11:29 AM
thats funny, I just put in a new battery that weekend i/ll check it out thanks for the help guys.