PDA

View Full Version : Roller Cam Break In

Lavey Huffer
03-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Is the cam break in procedure the same for a roller camshaft?
Do you use the same cam lube?

Fiat48
03-25-2006, 08:03 PM
No. Hopefully you soaked the roller lifters in oil before you put them in. No break in needed.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Yep, just fire it up & drive it.

BOOGEYMAN
03-26-2006, 04:02 AM
I usually just fire it up and run it at 2000 rpm and get some heat in the engine and then go for it.

Captain Assin' Off
03-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Fire it up, either soak the lifters in oil, or prime the engine before initial fire-up, with a gearless distributor, a good idea anyway, let it idle, or rev it up.It's all you baby! :)

Moneypitt
03-26-2006, 09:08 AM
No. Hopefully you soaked the roller lifters in oil before you put them in. No break in needed.
This is the key, soak the lifters in oil for a while. Priming the motor will not put oil in the roller bearings of the lifters OR the roller rockers.....Right after cleaning, I use Kerosene,I blow dry, and into a coffee can full of oil until time to put them in, lifters and rockers.........MP

Fiat48
03-26-2006, 05:16 PM
And remember that most roller lifters are oiled by splash. Limit engine idling all you can.

steelcomp
03-26-2006, 05:28 PM
If these are new lifters, you better soak them in solvent and get all the grease out of the rollers before you soak them in oil. The grease they use to assemble the rollers isn't a high pressure lube...it's just there for assembly. I soak them in solvent and spin the roller untill the grease is dissolved, then blow the rollers dry. THEN, soak them in oil. Otherwise the grease will prevent the oil from getting to the needles, no matter how long you soak them. A lot of guys lose lifters prematurely because of this and blame it on something else.

DEL51
03-26-2006, 06:47 PM
while helping assemble my engine, the builder was really serious about this step. I cleaned them in solvent and washed them with oil using a tooth brush. Then I had a can of the thicker 20w/50 and did the soak. After soak I had to roll them out, re dip, roll, etc. several times. After this they were stored in the oil until assembly.