PDA

View Full Version : Best Steak in Havasu

Kachina26
01-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Who has the best steak out there? I love Rod's Homestead Saloon. Not much on ambiance, but the best steak I've had anywhere. Tried the Coppermine twice and it sucked both times. Still gotta try the Golden Horseshoe, but I hear it's not what it used to be. Montana is ok.

Kilrtoy
01-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Dude I can barely afford MCdonalds

Kachina26
01-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Rod's is cheaper than McD's and you don't get the runs afterwards.

Dusty Times
01-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Gotta say the horseshoe. The service is great and love the baked sweet potato too.

Havasu Hangin'
01-01-2004, 02:03 PM
No Krystals or Frigate?

boatnam2
01-01-2004, 02:08 PM
in parker you can find a nice steak ask double "h"

Havasu Hangin'
01-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
in parker you can find a nice steak ask double "h"
Where's Parker?

Kachina26
01-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Frigate has steak? Thought is was mostly seafood? Usually never got past the bar anyway. Krystals? Is that the one that advertises discreet dining? I went there for a nice, no kids quiet birthday dinner, expecting fine dinning and was seated next to 13 loud obnoxious drunks. Worst $80 meal I've ever had, fine dining my A%# ! I like to party it up too, but theres a time and a place for that kind of stuff.

Havasu Hangin'
01-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Frigate has steak? Thought is was mostly seafood?
Oh there's steak alright...a few packets of sour cream on your potato and your good to go.
Krystals? Is that the one that advertises discreet dining? I went there for a nice, no kids quiet birthday dinner, expecting fine dinning and was seated next to 13 loud obnoxious drunks.
Sorry...we didn't know that was you.

RJ Nordic
01-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Golden horshoe by far. Bread/meat/service is good. Entertainment is good if you are seated in the bar area. Love those peanuts, just don't fill up on those before the meal.
Krystal's sucks. Took the wife there likewise for a nice quiet dinner, I'm not cheap but $75 later we could have gone to Javena's and had the same amount of peace.
Where is Rod's, haven't been there?

Kachina26
01-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by RJ Nordic
Where is Rod's, haven't been there? Rod's is on the south end of town past Coppermine. It's a bar and liqour store in the front and a small restaurant in the back. He cuts his own meat and smokes the chicken, ribs and potatoes. The steak is awesome, but the atmosphere blows. I expect and am entertained by the loud drunks there. I think the most expensive steak which is too much food is like $16. Good drinks and whatnot, salad is iffy, but I go there strictly for steak or ribs.

jbtrailerjim
01-01-2004, 06:38 PM
I like the Golden Horseshoe. Great food good atmosphere and decent service. A couple of times I have been there and the service was not that good. One of the times the waiter totaly f**ked up our order and the manager gave us one of the meal's for free. All and all a good place. I usally go there everytime I go to Havasu.

AzDon
01-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Coppermine became an Italian place then became "Big Daddy's for Ribs".....I did like them, but they've been gone for 2 years! Homestead was smoky,so I've never eaten there! Montana, Shugrues,Barley Bros,Krystals and Horseshoe are all a little pricey...my choice from these would be Golden Horseshoe, but I'd more likely go to Black Bear and get fed!

C-2
01-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Where is the Golden Horseshoe located?
Thanks

mbrown2
01-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by C-2
Where is the Golden Horseshoe located?
Thanks
From what I remember you take London Bridge Rd like you are going to Winsor, continue pass Windsor for several miles until you get to Desert Hills area and start looking for it on your left/south side..

MagicMtnDan
01-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Costco.
Is there a Costco in LHC?

Mr.Havasu
01-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Frigate has the best baby backs in town. On Mondays it's all you can eat riblets for 6.99. (not as good as the Baby backs but still a kicken deal)
Rod's has the best steaks and prime rib period.-salad is very iffy, but the steak and pataoe is awesome.(don't watch Rod cook it might spoil your appitite) If you can't find it look for a sign that says Homestead, He took Rod's off of the new sign.
Last time I went to the golden horseshoe was the last time I'll go there, just can't compare to Rod's and it costs twice as much.
No Costco (yet)

Ducatista
01-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Last time I went to the golden horseshoe was the last time I'll go there, just can't compare to Rod's and it costs twice as much.
I agree with you... on my last trip to the Golden Horseshoe, I ordered a porterhouse and got a t-bone, and the service sucked, so did the steak, won't be back ever. The Frigate gets my vote...great seafood and lobster, and there bar-b-que chicken and ribs are to die for. Never tried Rods....looks like I will have to.

Kachina26
01-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by warlock25
(don't watch Rod cook it might spoil your appitite)
No Costco (yet) HAHAHAHA that's half the show, I guess I have an iron constitution. I think it's funny to watch him smoke, scratch and flip steaks. Whatever he's doing it works! I like the letter above the shuffle board table about the waitress that ripped him off.

nodigg
01-02-2004, 12:10 PM
ROD'S all the way! (Just be prepared for no ambiance and some cig smoke!)

Kachina26
02-17-2004, 09:30 PM
OK, to be fair I had to try the Golden Horseshoe. What a rip! 30 minute wait, another 15 minute line at the all you can eat salad bar. (One time through is all I had the patience for) the steak was bland, and probably not the 22 oz that it was supposed to be. The service was mediocre, up until it was time for the check. 20 minutes after we had all finished eating and were just making small talk waiting for the check( and the wife's to go box that we had asked for 15 minutes earlier) I went up front and asked if I was supposed to pay up there, I hadn't seen the waitress in some time. Finally the check came, I checked the bill and gave my credit card. No "thank you" not even a word, not even when she came back! I was tempted to stiff her on the tip all together, but the service up to that point was fair so I didn't. I went to Shugrues the next night, Valentines Day at that and the service was far better and the prices weren't much different. Ehh, I'm just gonna stick with Rod's

randy77zt
02-17-2004, 10:14 PM
i only go to havasu 1 or 2 times a year but the only place in havasu i got a real mans dinner was at rods.you know you are in a real locals place when you watch the owner cook your steak with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.if i want atmosphere i will hit another bar later.

GASHGAZER
02-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Doesn't anyone like Scotty's Ribs?? I have yet to try Rod's but I will make the Mecca next time I am out. We used to go to the Frigate a few years back, but it got crappy after they sold it, then ate ribs at Pig n Swig (Was the same former owner of Frigate) then they sold that, so you can't beat the deals at Scotty's for ribs. Just kinda funny going there in the winter, cus I feel like a 4 year old in there with all the snowbirds.

91nordic29
02-18-2004, 11:29 AM
we camp at cattail cove twice a year and always go to rods on the first night (thursday). place has "character".
if we are staying in town, no other place like the frigate. tried that "rumors" (i think that is the name) place once but it sucked.

AZKC
02-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Krystals? Is that the one that advertises discreet dining? I went there for a nice, no kids quiet birthday dinner, expecting fine dinning and was seated next to 13 loud obnoxious drunks. Worst $80 meal I've ever had, fine dining my A%# ! I like to party it up too, but theres a time and a place for that kind of stuff.
Sorry about that :D We were having a bit to much fun;)
j/k It wasn't us, but I've allways enjoyed the food at Krystal's but we usually hit it early evening.
And for us once or twice a year visitors the places to get good eats get harder and harder to find. And in the winter it seems everything closes up. :confused: We end up just bouncin around by the bridge and fighting the crowds. :cool: But wouldn't change a thing:wink:

Floatin'
02-18-2004, 03:37 PM
I have to disagree with everyone so far. Big Johns is the best steak in Havasu with out a doubt. Corner of Havasu Ave. and Acoma. :)

dr. margarita
02-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Frigate has the best baby backs in town.
I'll bet the ribs at Rumors are better!
We had ribeyes at the Homestead and it sucked....Montana's is way better!