PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming to the Tahiti

Tahiti350
03-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I finally have, or have on order, all the pieces I need to update the boat this year.
Going from this:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266warming_up.JPG
To this (still looking for carbs to fit this intake, so might not make it this year):
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266upgrade_2006.JPG
The oil cooler set-up is factory Chevy (needs to be cleaned up a little), off of a '84 3/4 ton truck, might need to figure out a ram air scoop for it eventually, but figure anything will help. Also still working on getting a set of seats and saddle tanks out of Eastern Washington, if I get them the seats will go in now, but the saddle tanks will have to wait until this winter.

jrork
03-25-2006, 09:33 PM
I finally have, or have on order, all the pieces I need to update the boat this year.
Going from this:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266warming_up.JPG
To this (still looking for carbs to fit this intake, so might not make it this year):
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266upgrade_2006.JPG
The oil cooler set-up is factory Chevy (needs to be cleaned up a little), off of a '84 3/4 ton truck, might need to figure out a ram air scoop for it eventually, but figure anything will help. Also still working on getting a set of seats and saddle tanks out of Eastern Washington, if I get them the seats will go in now, but the saddle tanks will have to wait until this winter.
That's gonna look really good Gary. I'e always liked the looks of a dualquad manifold. Throw on those headers and the small block is going to sound bitchin as full throttle.

malcolm
03-25-2006, 10:09 PM
What cam did you get?

FASTRAT
03-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Hey Matt...
it should run & sound pretty "awsome" when u get it done...u can shop for carbs on EBay...i have 2 manifold's like that...1 SBC & 1 BBC...i use Edelbrock 650's on the SBC & 750's on the BBC...they work great...got them off of EBay "cheap"...i also have a # of different a/c set-ups that i got off of EBay & Raceingjunk.com...all parts ur looking for are out there...u just gotta ck the different web sites...keep us posted on ur progress
fastrat
p.s. get rid of the oil fill tube on the manif & replace it with the rubber plug!

malcolm
03-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Or a shiny brass plug. :)

Tahiti350
03-26-2006, 11:53 AM
I was thinking of mounting a small K&N breather filter on the oil tube, after I cut it down of course. Then I can use the unpunched valve covers (except for PCV) to clean up the topside and cut down on any potential oil leak points.... Might even try to find a spot on the back of the intake that I can bore thru to install the PVC in. Keep the Valve covers solid. Or I could install a brass plug in the oil fill and mount the PVC there, with a breather on each valve cover.
The cam is comparable to a 280 Comp Cams grind. It's the Speedpro version, but I lost the actual specs. Planning to run it by the local cam grinders and have it "mapped" before it goes in.
All the cam gear is brand new, was installed in a 400 I had built then sold, adn the buyer upgraded to an even more aggressive cam and spring set-up, so I bought everything back for $40. 400 was never fired with this cam, so no wear issues... :p
I'm planning to use 2 500cfm Edelbrock's on the dual-quad, but want new to avoid the "used carb" issues. Also need to get another K&N Velocity stack/filter set-up to match the one i have now. That part will probably have to wait until this fall.
Too much to think about this morning, need to go wrench on the wounded Dodge.....Damn "missing" card nut :220v: :cry:

n8dawg
03-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I was going to say you could use edlebrocks with that intake.
Have you ever gps'd your boat? The before and after results would be cool to have.
Nate

Tahiti350
03-27-2006, 05:45 PM
GPS'd @ Blue Lake last Labor Day. Here's a copy of the post I put up back then:
I finally got to make a legit GPS run in my Tahiti 18' Super Tiger 350 Chevy/OMC 800 I/O, and it ran better than I had hoped. AMD's prop/Speed calculator (http://www.admboatworks.com/pitch.htm) showed 57.3 MPH with 4400 rpm, 1.36 gears, 21+prop, and .15 slip (a guestimate on my part).
The real numbers: 4400 rpm, 21+ prop, 1.36 gears and 59.3 MPH, which factors to .1202 slip. Another pass (non-GPS) turned up to 4600, which would be 62 MPH with that correction!!!
The GPS pass was made on decent (not glass) water, mid-morning, 75-ish*, minimal wind, and 15-17 gallons of fuel in the nose tank. With minimal fuel (and chucking the extra interior pieces) I think 4800 would be possible, but I did not have the opportinity to re-run due to bad wind conditions, and BIG chop.
I would also like to try with a 22+ or 23+ Tri-blade prop after I re-cam, and install Vortec heads, Vortec Performer RPM Air Gap intake, and my Bassett O/T's this winter. Might have a snowballs chance at a 70 MPH pass???

Tahiti350
04-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Well,
The swap is not going smoothly. The header adapters I bought that were supposed to be SBC to Stahl pattern aren't. They are about 3/4 inch too long, and none of the bolt hole line up with the exhaust port bolt holes (okay, so 1 on each side lines up :mad: ). Just went online and ordered a 1/2" thick aluminum adapter set, now I'll be waiting until those get here, AND I have to figure out what the h-ll the adapters I have are for so I can try to resell them.
I will continue with the cam swap, and a few other things I need to do, but this setback definately took some of the fun out of it....

malcolm
04-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah, I know how bad it feels to not have your headers fit. :mad:
Mine didn't work till I attacked them with a welder.

Tahiti350
04-02-2006, 12:32 PM
I can't even attack with a welder, the pipes are too big to clear the port bolts, so the adapters are a must. Really getting curious to find out what the ones I have fit, as Hooker and Summit don't list the part # that's on the box :220v: . Probably some oddball combo like S2B2 or 23* head to Ford 460 headers or somthing.
Might even be for Oldsmotors!! Malcolm, you want some adapters, guaranteed to fit (something)! :cry:

malcolm
04-02-2006, 06:09 PM
You should get in touch with Matt and ask for Owen's number. He has headers on his 350 that use those adapters. Maybe he knows more about them.

Tahiti350
04-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks Malcolm, Cap'n A already sent me a pm with the numbers. I still wonder if the adapters I got at for the 18* heads, as I think they moved the ports around a little bit. Need to call hooker tomorrow and talk to them directly.
I was able to tack one header on (loosely) and man that looks DIFFERENT. The new look will take some getting use to for sure. I'll try to get a pic posted with them tacked on.
IO'll figure it all out, and be ready for Shasta, for sure. I have a few hours I can work in the evenings before I head to work now so that will help.

Tahiti350
04-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Okay, for anyone following this fiasco here's the latest:
Got the new adapters from Nicholas Machine in Indiana, nice machined aluminum pieces, unfortuntley, they don't work either. Talked to Skagen Marine, and found out that Bassett used their own flange pattern (apperantly), so I called Nicholas back and talked to them. They offered to machine a set to work with the Bassett's if I would provide a pattern they can work from, so the adapters and a trace pattern of the flange are headed back to Indiana tomorrow, hope to see the new ones back here in about 2 weeks.
In the mean time, I've stripped the engine down to a long block, and am pressing on with the cam swap, and planning to try to cleana dn install the oil cooler set-up this week. working a few hours each night to try to get it together by Friday. Will probably break the cam in with the Osco set-up for now and switch to the headers once I have theh adapters and Banderlog parts on hand.
Also planning to rebrace the stringer mounts and make some mount spacers to lift the engine about 3/4" from where it was, may just raise the stringer mounts to avoid the lift blocks. :idea:
Heading to Moses lake Friday afternoon to pick up another boat for the interior and saddle tanks, Have to pull the Tahiti off the trailer (again) for the trip, then reset it on Saturday so I can press with the work.
Pic's to follow as it goes together. Didn't think anyone would care about a SBC longblock pic....

Tahiti350
04-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Finally got the cam swap done today, fired it up at 7:55 for the break-in run, and pissed off the neighbors. They called at 8 complaining about the noise reverbing thru their house. Told them that I couldn't shut it down until 8:15, but I did put up a plywood wall behind it to at least break the biggest part of it. Sounds good, especially above 2600-2800 rpm. Idle is a little rougher, but will idle down to 900-1000 acceptably, still need to do some tuning to try to smooth it out a little more. Will run it again tomorrow, and need to get the new seats anchored down, then get everything washed and cleaned up. Hoping to take it out for a run Sunday afternoon to shake it down. :rollside:
No pic's yet, still just a riser equipped small block...... :rolleyes:

malcolm
04-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Ok, I'm jealous.

Tahiti350
04-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Took the Tahiti out to Lake Tapps today to shake it out, man I like that lake.
Lots of room, several little "fingers" to putter in, and nice open spaces for when you want to stretch it out, and a nice 3 wide ramp. A little less chop would be nice, but it wasn't as bad as Pothole's last Labor Day!!!
Speaking of stretched out, I was able to make a few hard passes on decent water, with about 1/2 tank of fuel (8-9 gallons in the bow tank). Here are the new numbers: 21+ pitch SS tri-blade prop, 1.36 gears in the drive, using the .1202 slip from the last GPS run, and the new 4900 rpm (3 consecutive passes), works out to 66.0 MPH!!!
Had it out of the water off of 1 sneaker wake, and rocking a bit on the chop, but felt stable still. I think there is a bit more in it in the current configuration with a little tuning, and I still have the Bassett's to install.

malcolm
04-23-2006, 08:11 PM
OK, now I'm really jealous! Your gonna be so close to 70 it's gonna be sick. :p

1978 Rogers
04-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Good to hear Gary. Tapps can be a nice place when not many boats are out. Tapps can get pretty choppy, white caps. Did you have to pay a launch fee at the ramp in Bonney Lake?
Seems only the weak really complain about it being rough. :crossx:

malcolm
04-23-2006, 09:52 PM
If I remember right the truly weak leave early and let the not so weak tuff it out. :crossx: :crossx:

1978 Rogers
04-23-2006, 10:00 PM
If I remember right the truly weak leave early and let the not so weak tuff it out. :crossx: :crossx:
hey, I had carb problems. :cry:

Tahiti350
04-24-2006, 09:21 AM
We never saw anything saying to pay a fee.... :rolleyes:
Okay tough guy, who's complaining about it being rough?? :argue: I had it aired out on the chop, and didn't let up. Everyone got soaked going under one of the bridges, had an old inboard came thru the other way, and as we started forward to go under I saw a killer wake coming. It hit so quick all I got out was "Oh, SH". Sierra and April got out to air dry when we got back to the park, and I went back out to make my banzia runs.
That old inboard was cool, mid-mount straight drive. Looked like a SBC, but never got a really good look at it. Saw it come up on plane, and it moved out pretty nice, just plowed a trench when idling around, actually sat nose low like a Jersey skiff.
finally got the camera dried out so it'll work again!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266new_interior.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266On_plane.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266Tahiti_and_the_mountain.JPG

malcolm
04-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Looks rough to me. :p

1978 Rogers
04-24-2006, 09:53 AM
We never saw anything saying to pay a fee.... :rolleyes:
Okay tough guy, who's complaining about it being rough?? :argue: I had it aired out on the chop, and didn't let up. Everyone got soaked going under one of the bridges, had an old inboard came thru the other way, and as we started forward to go under I saw a killer wake coming. It hit so quick all I got out was "Oh, SH". Sierra and April got out to air dry when we got back to the park, and I went back out to make my banzia runs.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266new_interior.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2266Tahiti_and_the_mountain.JPG
On the weekends they have a kid standing by the ramps collection $10 from non-residents to use the ramps. Thats cool he wasn't there. They might still consider it the Off Season. Those seats look really good.
As for the wise crack about it being rough, that was jab directed at Mal & Austin. :rolleyes:

Tahiti350
04-24-2006, 04:16 PM
The water were I was making hot passes wasn't bad, probably best on the lake, a little choppy on the west end of the run, but out beyond that it got considerably worse.
Had a jet boat showed up just as we were leaving, other than that it was deep V day.

malcolm
04-24-2006, 07:23 PM
I think most the jets know to stay away. ;)
All we saw was huge offshore stuff the night we were there. :boxed:

1978 Rogers
04-25-2006, 07:22 AM
I think most the jets know to stay away. ;)
All we saw was huge offshore stuff the night we were there. :boxed:
Ditto.
Yep, those bigger boats really mess with us freeboard challenged boats. :cry: