PDA

View Full Version : Stupid salesman..

HCS
01-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Working for a car dealer has to be one of the most entertaining jobs.
Car sales guy takes a customer on a test drive and runs out of gas and borrows a gas can. So he comes back smelling like a gas station and wants to know where to wash up.:D
Sometimes I wonder how they sell anything.:confused:

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Car sales guy takes a customer on a test drive and runs out of gas and borrows a gas can. So he comes back smelling like a gas station and wants to know where to wash up.:D
SOooo what dealer was this at???

HCS
01-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
SOooo what dealer was this at??? Future Nissan.
Right in your back yard.:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Future Nissan.
Right in your back yard.:rolleyes:
They're in the Roseville Auto Mall right?

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 11:10 AM
My experience with Car Salespeople is that they are generally not the brightest candles on the cake...
So'd he sell the car after the fiasco???
(the question may be considered rhetorical);)

HCS
01-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Yep, in the automall.
I don't know if he's making the sale. I dought it. The walk back
to the mall in the cold smelling like gas probably lost him the sale.:D

bigerich
01-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Car salesmen seem to be pretty low on the smarts, for sure. Went to the dealer yesterday, looking for a used truck, told the chick exactly what I wanted, a Toyota Tacoma 4x4, V6, 5-spd and she said "that is hard to come by, how about a Ford, or a Tundra" I just looked her in the face and said "thanks for your time". I mean, did she just not listen to me, or did she really think she was gonna sell me on something else?????

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by bigerich
Car salesmen seem to be pretty low on the smarts, for sure. Went to the dealer yesterday, looking for a used truck, told the chick exactly what I wanted, a Toyota Tacoma 4x4, V6, 5-spd and she said "that is hard to come by, how about a Ford, or a Tundra" I just looked her in the face and said "thanks for your time". I mean, did she just not listen to me, or did she really think she was gonna sell me on something else?????
They always push what they have 10 of on the lot as the BEST DAMN Thing made....
I hate buying cars. Always feel like I have to wash my hands when the deal is done...

Kachina26
01-03-2004, 11:28 AM
They sell what is on the spiff board. It's their job to convince you that what you really want is what they're trying to dump that day.

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
They sell what is on the spiff board. It's their job to convince you that what you really want is what they're trying to dump that day.
Like I said, feel the need to wash my hands after the deal has been done...:yuk:

bigerich
01-03-2004, 11:40 AM
I think thats the part that I hate. I do a little research before I go look, I know what I want, and they think I NEED something else! Why can't car shopping be like buying anything else? why do I need some guy with no clue what I want trying to sell me something I don't want? Why can't they just put the price of the car on the windshield?? Do they really need a guy getting paid commission to tell me how overpriced the car is???

Kachina26
01-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Find a nice small dealer where the salesmen have been there over a year. Most salesmen are in and out in 2-3 months at the auto malls, most have their name hand written on the cards. They gotta make as much as they can as fast as they can. I work at a small dealership, almost all of the sales staff has been there longer than me. I've been there 9 years! They are honest and don't bs you. Also watch out for the aftermarket theft deterent systems, we don't sell em but most dealers do. I've seen them go from $250 all the way to $1000 and all it is, is about $30 worth of relays, wiring and install. I get paid good money to take them out when they cause no start conditions. The customer is pissed to find out it's not warranty unless they want to have it towed back to the auto mall that jacked them for the system. Most cars have very good anti theft built in. Funny people will drive 2 hours to save $500 and then get burnt for $800 in upsold junk they don't need. Sorry, I just get frazzled when I start talking about this kind of junk!:mad:

HCS
01-03-2004, 12:10 PM
I use to work for a mom & pop dealer. Great place to get a car
for the best deal. No pressure sales. And they stand behind the
product on a more personal basis.

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Funny people will drive 2 hours to save $500 and then get burnt for $800 in upsold junk they don't need. Sorry, I just get frazzled when I start talking about this kind of junk!:mad:
Funny you should mention that. When I got the Grand Cherokee about 3 years ago, the Finance Manager was PISSED that I didn't buy the "touch of class", extended warranty, Loctronics or anything else. I mean visibly angry... I should have walked right there but I had more time involved than I cared to do over somewhere else...

Kachina26
01-03-2004, 12:21 PM
With GM you can buy the extended warranty anytime before the factory warranty is up. I also recommend always going with the factory version of the extended warranty, it's accepted at all dealers. We usually won't take aftermarket extended warr in our service dept. you pay us then send of for reimbursement. I also saw one extended warr company go belly up 2 months ago. Customer was stuck paying for his own trans and was out the money he dropped on the extended warr. We only sell GMPP at our dealer. And don't forget the price on extended warr is marked up too, room to negotiate on that.

LASERRAY
01-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Most of them are "Shit Salesmen" with a mouth full of samples! But hey, were all trying to make a living. I'm smart enough to see throught the bullshit when on the lot. Those who aren't get what they desearve. Screwed!:cool:

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 12:25 PM
With GM you can buy the extended warranty anytime before the factory warranty is up. I also recommend always going with the factory version of the extended warranty, it's accepted at all dealers. We usually won't take aftermarket extended warr in our service dept. you pay us then send of for reimbursement. I also saw one extended warr company go belly up 2 months ago. Customer was stuck paying for his own trans and was out the money he dropped on the extended warr. We only sell GMPP at our dealer. And don't forget the price on extended warr is marked up too, room to negotiate on that.
I have the GMPP on my burb. Got it as a gift from GM because they screwed me on a repair, kept the burb for 95 days in the middle of summer, couldn't repair it. Pretty much shot the boating season that year.
I usually think the extended warranty programs, OEM or not are a bad investment. Never had one do anything for me, so I stopped buying them after a while.

Kachina26
01-03-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm debating whether or not to step up and get one on my Sierra, I've seen it really pay off for some folks. But I'm sure most don't use it much.

MagicMtnDan
01-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Sounds like the episode on Seinfeld - Putty was working at a Saab car dealership and the gang tagged along (Elaine, George and Kramer). Kramer took one of their cars (and salesman) out for a test drive and wanted to see how far it would go before it ran out of gas - that was funnier than hell.
Putty kept high-fiving Jerry...George was arguing with a service guy about a candy bar...great episode.

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm debating whether or not to step up and get one on my Sierra, I've seen it really pay off for some folks. But I'm sure most don't use it much.
Those extended warranties are huge gross margins for the companies that issue them. Odds are most of the problems will be shaken out during the factory warranty. I have read that the margin is like 90% for some companies.