PDA

View Full Version : 1st boat with twins

Whatboat
05-30-2002, 04:39 PM
Bought a 288 formula powerd with twins. it has a engine syncronizer. with the engines in sync the tach's show about 500 rpms difference. Is this normal? are my tach(s) bad. when I even the rpm's (tachs) it just dos'nt sound right.

Tinkerboater
05-30-2002, 07:10 PM
One or both of your tachs are off. Mine are off about 100 rpm but only at certain rpm's when the engines are synced.

F 20SC
06-14-2002, 08:05 PM
I just bought my first twin also. The tachs on it are about 500 rpm off, not sure if it is the tach, or is one running faster than the other.
[This message has been edited by F 20SC (edited June 14, 2002).]

The Raven
06-24-2002, 03:28 PM
HI great choice in Boats, Formula Is among the "BEST"
I have a 1984 Rare 242 SR1 with twins. Even with the new Engines, worked 350s, the Tachs are not the same as the SYN. So what I did on recomendation from
Mercury Racing. Check both tachs. with a High grade Tach & dwell. Then read and perform the listed tasks on the instruction sheet with your engine syn. AND test again with the High grade Tach & dwell. Most engine SYNs, state a 50 plus RMP. diff. is expected.
Take every thing make an average in Dif. and go like hell. Also Listen as no instrument is as good as your ear...
Best of luck
Twins RULE

F 20SC
07-07-2002, 03:58 PM
I have a Formula 242 LS with twin 350's. The port engine is a couple hundred rpm lower than the starboard at low rpms, but when you get up in the rpms, it is reading a couple hundred rpm higher.

The Raven
07-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Hey F 20 SC
Whats the YEAR of your Formula??
If your statement was a question, try switching the tachs from side to side. Then switch the Props from side to side. I guess you have Alpha drives !! You will always be off a bit with the alpha's, because they do not counter rotate. And a ton of other things
valve lash, fuel pick ups [ had trouble with one of mine]. Timming ??
Mine is a 84 242, she comes in real heavy around 5200 pounds. Thats a lot of glass for a 24 footer. Hey what props you turning ?
I have a custom pair of MERC clevers. 14 1/2 x 24, re-pitched to 25. Tops out at around 4500 plus. Have tried other props, but the clevers stillbeat all on top end.
I started out doing around 55/60 with the stock 270s, Now with the new engines she can get up to 68/70 with the right gas and settings.
I hope you keep and enjoy your "GLASS SLIPPER" There are a lot of Single BIG BLOCKS
around in New york long Island that get a real good look at HER Transom.!!!
Feel free to write me direct, love to hear about your boat
Nevar242@aol.com
PS whats "her" name and colors
Mine is Black and White, With The "Raven" in Gold on both sides
the transom above the 4" thru hull exhaust says
"Lets ROLL" in chrome, and just below
Spirit of 9-11 with Flaming Eagles head on each side.
Thanks Keep the painted side DOWN
USA all else go to HELL.

F 20SC
07-16-2002, 03:00 PM
Mine is an 85. I bought it a couple months ago. It has twin 350's and alpha drives. The engines only have 34 hours on them. Not sure about he hp, but I would guess around 300 each. The engines are FWC, which I like. The boat is in very good condition, the bilge is clean as can be, which I consider a good sign that the previous owner took some care with it. The only thing I didn't like was someone had put bottom paint on it. I had it bead blasted off, and I am very unhappy with the results. I did better myself with a water/sand blasting on my other Formula. There are spots on it where it looks like they shot it with #8 birdshot. I had to change a shift cable, and that is it so far. This boat really rides well in a chop, one of the main reasons I bought it. I don't know where I am at top speed, since I haven't gotten there yet. Above 40 mph, the stern feels squirely, kind of like it is on ice. I think there may be some slop in the steering linkage. I have 23 inch Mirage props. Oh, yeah, did manage to break the cabin door Sunday, when my girlfreind didn't latch it, and we took a big wake. The size of the stringers in this boat is unbelievable, no wonder it weighs a ton! That's ok with me, I like having as much boat under me as I can afford.

The Raven
07-20-2002, 05:16 AM
Hey F 20FC
Your boat sounds nice, new engines and all. I like the fresh water cooled. Mine isn't.
Mine used to chine walk real bad too. I added an external tie bar for the sloppy steering. Changed trim tabs to 12 x 12 mounted about 3/4 inch above the bottom. our boats have a built in HOOK. Supposed to make them ride better, but I'm not so sure about that. So I had a Friend a body man grind out about half of the hook. Nice difference.
I also add "BOBS machine shop nose cones. Made a diff. in handling. But I would not Recomend them as they need constant RE filling [blending] with body plastic. I would not use there cones on anything. Maybe I'd try Hydro-motive But would have to ask around who had them and see if they like them.
does yours have buckets or bolsters?? Oh I added a power hatch too. From LENCO they moved to Florida a while back.
Stay in touch good Luck