PDA

View Full Version : So Bored...just saw ClamBake for the 25th time!

CircleJerk
01-04-2004, 02:19 PM
I awoke to Tom Wilson and Scott Hayworth and their switched roles bad acting in the elvis Movie 'Clambake' I searched this site and could not find the posts relating to this v-drive-elvis cult film. My question is, does anyone have Lou Brummets 'RawHide' Mandella and is it the one in the starring role when it beat Eddies Father driving the D3 boat {what the heck was it}? And what's with the class 'd', does this represent the SK and other classes in this Florida Marathon? I know we have discussed this here in the past but my cabin fever affected mind and forum search drew a blank...........Not unusual :D

Stab-n-Steer
01-04-2004, 05:14 PM
CJ,
Rumor is that there were actually 3 identical "Rawhide" boats built for the movie. The only one I know for sure that exists is in Ablemarle, NC...
S&S

LeE ss13
01-05-2004, 06:47 AM
The boat that was being repaired in the movie was a boat that came off a trailer and hit telephone pole. It was being repaired at the shop in Pasadena. They shot the scene there.

Chief
01-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Does this look like it at all? I just bought it here in Ohio and the guy that I bought it from said that there were only two built and the other one was in an Elvis movie. I havent seen the movie but I do have this Mandella. I dont know how to open it on here but you can open the attachment

DaveA
01-05-2004, 06:53 PM
The Mandella in Albemarle NC is white with red, and named Aquaholic. Has a medium riser FE 427, and is freakin' immaculate. Hasn't been in the water but about 3 times in 10+ years, and every time Jim has put it in the water, he told me the carburetor leaked like crazy with all the dried out gaskets etc. Again, he sez it's one of the three boats.
You'll pry his cold dead fingers off the keys if you want it, too.
I was just in Albemarle looking at Raysons. I didn't have time to stop at Jim's place, but I will make an effort next time, and see if he'll let me photograph it.
DaveA

RaysonKid
01-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Hey Jerk,
What do you know about the D'cucci hulls?
Anybody?
Looks like the Hobbit k-14 is a D'cucci.
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/ads/view.cfm?ad=331&title=K-Boat Racing

V-DRIVE VIDEO
01-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by RaysonKid
What do you know about the D'cucci hulls?
Anybody?
Looks like the Hobbit k-14 is a D'cucci.
[/B]
D'Cucci... Comes from the name Don Cucci, founder of said boat company.
The boat in your link is another Biesmeyer copy (AKA "B" boat) with a few changes, the most noticeable being the cut-a-way deck.
I believe Don splashed a revenge originally (Revenge had allready splashed the Biesemeyer).
Hobbit owner Chuck Boyd was one of the founding fathers of the "K" class. He ran many different hulls over the years ending with the boat in your link.
Your correct in asking the Circle Jerk about "B" boats, being that they are his favorite boat!!:D

LeE ss13
01-07-2004, 07:55 AM
How did we go from ClamBake to D'Cucci ??? Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, this is/was the original D'Cucci (Plug) that the mold was taken from. I blew the side off of it in September '95 at a COBRA race at Puddingstone CA. What an E-Ticket ride that was. It spent most of it's early years painted Red.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/308Broken_DCucci-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/308D_Cucci_Bakersfield.jpg

RaysonKid
01-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
Lee ss13,
Where you happy with the D'cucci hull?
So I stole the Jerks thread.
Wait till I get this new boat out on the water and he has to chase me around. ;)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
01-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Wait till I get this new boat out on the water and he has to chase me around. ;)
If you could drive that thing...I bet you would lap Jerk 4 times in a 1 lap race!!! ON HIS SHORTCOURSE!!!!:D :D :D

obnoxious001
01-08-2004, 12:35 AM
There were quite a few of the long deck Mandella's made. It happens that my dad used to crew for Lou back in those days, and a close family friend, Barry Chase, drove the boat for the movie scenes, and also used to co-drive for Lou in the marathons. As for the broken boat, some years later I was looking at a Mandella for myself, until I found out it was the one in the shop in the movie, and would probably not hold up to the type of use I wanted it for. It was orange metal flake. The "Rawhide" boats were a copper/bronze metal flake, at least the later long deck models were. As far as I can remember, the last "Rawhide" was destroyed in Lou's last race, beyond repair. There was even a copycat "Rawhide", with the same style lettering that was running in water ski races several years back, but it was a blue-green. Back in the 60's, before the outboards started to dominate the marathon races, the Mandella's were a powerful force, many of the front runners and famous drivers raced them.

LeE ss13
01-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Lee ss13,
Where you happy with the D'cucci hull?
So I stole the Jerks thread.
Yes ... it was the fastest B boat I ever owned. Get a D'Cucci if you like the T-Deck, or a Revenge, if you like the straight deck. They are both made in Havasu these days.

CircleJerk
01-10-2004, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LeE ss13
[B] I blew the side off of it in September '95 at a COBRA race at Puddingstone CA. What an E-Ticket ride that was. It spent most of it's early years painted Red.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/308Broken_DCucci-med.jpg
My former crew chief on the dragster I used to drive would describe the thickness of broken parts and this hull in decimal increments: .0toothin!
Maybe another coat of paint would have helped.......Wow
:eek:

LeE ss13
01-11-2004, 05:43 AM
I think the best adjective is "POTATO CHIP"!!! But hey .... that's what make some of them fast!