PDA

View Full Version : Boat Show

CARRERA
01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Has anyone heard if Carrera will be at any of the Boat Shows?

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-04-2004, 06:53 PM
they are always there.. L.A and Florida i beleive are the biggest ones so they have to be there.. :D

Kachina26
01-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Carrera isn't the same owner anymore, it's aftershock now.

jbtrailerjim
01-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Carrera isn't the same owner anymore, it's aftershock now.
They still continue to make the two seperate lines though. It's just all owned by Aftershock now.

Kachina26
01-04-2004, 08:38 PM
yeah, that's what I meant to say. When we first asked them about it shortly afterward, they denied it. Wasn't too happy about that. I went to the new shop and found out it was aftershock.

6 Dollar Boat
01-04-2004, 11:16 PM
I was told at Carrera that they were not going to the boat show this year. Here is the list of exhibitors.
http://www.scma.com/losangeles04.asp

BADBLOWN572
01-05-2004, 01:49 PM
I was out at Carrera on Sunday and they were saying that they were not going to the LA show.

roln 20s
01-05-2004, 02:11 PM
How can Carrera miss this show? I can't see them being too successful without an appearance at this show- IMO.
Roln 20s

BADBLOWN572
01-05-2004, 02:59 PM
The problem with the boat show is the cost. They said that they would have to sell a minimum of 9 boats to break even at the show. I know that the space rental alone is usually between 3-4k. Believe it or not, they do just as well staying out of the show but advertising more in various publications (according to them, I don't know if I believe it). I wish they were heading to the show, I would like to see some of the new boats and how they are comparing to the other boats in the industry.

jbtrailerjim
01-05-2004, 06:04 PM
yeah, that's what I meant to say. When we first asked them about it shortly afterward, they denied it. Wasn't too happy about that. I went to the new shop and found out it was aftershock.
When I went to there place in Riverside last summer, he took me on a tour of there place and I saw a bunch of Carrera's being built along side Aftershock's. I had heard rumor that they had bought Carrera. So I asked the salesman if they bought Carrera and he kind of dodged the question and wouldn't really ansewer. I thought that was kind of strange.

THATJEFFGUY
01-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Yeah the "Carrera/Aftershock Saga" is a rather strange situation, I asked the same question and still haven't gotten a straight answer either. I heard some rumors that the merger saved "someone" from paying alot of their outstanding debts. I dunno if it's true or not - but it wouldn't be the first time !

Kachina26
01-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
When I went to there place in Riverside last summer, he took me on a tour of there place and I saw a bunch of Carrera's being built along side Aftershock's. I had heard rumor that they had bought Carrera. So I asked the salesman if they bought Carrera and he kind of dodged the question and wouldn't really ansewer. I thought that was kind of strange. I really liked my last Carrera, and was going to shop them for the new boat, but the ambiguity of the whole who they really are now thing bugged me. Had all the flavor of a company that might not be around in 2 years. So, reluctantly I moved on.

jbtrailerjim
01-05-2004, 10:32 PM
[ Had all the flavor of a company that might not be around in 2 years. So, reluctantly I moved on. [/B]
That is exact feeling I got when I went in there and I did the same thing "moved on".
By the way I saw the picture of your new boat. Sweet lookin boat.

BADBLOWN572
01-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Carrera and Aftershock have merged, but the two boats are being built as individual lines. Carrera maintains their molds, and will continue building the Carrera line. Aftershock boats are seperate. The benefit is now everything is done in house. I did work for Carrera for 4 years and I havent noticed any drop in quality on their boats. Many of the same people who were working for Carrera still work for the company.
From what I understand, Aftershock is not the parent company. Carrera maintains its independance from Aftershock. They simply share the same facility.

ACCEPTENCE
01-08-2004, 07:30 AM
While reading this post I counted two potential boat buyers that simply "moved on", that can't be a good sign.
One would think Carrera Boats would step up and make a statement of fact, or not.
534 people have read this post, I wonder how many of them would have considered a new Carrera boat???
Are ya seein it???
Kinda makes ya go hummm???

BADBLOWN572
01-08-2004, 10:02 AM
I plan on building another Carrera. Doesn't scare me a bit that they partnered with Aftershock! I have inspected, driven, and ridden in a lot of their new boats since they merged and no difference in the quality of the product. My next boat is going to be a Carrera that is probably going to do high 120's or low 130's. If I was concerned that the boat was not of the highest quality, I would not build it. The last thing that you need is a boat coming apart at those speads. You can bend over and kiss your ass goodbye! I think that the problem is that Aftershock doesn't have the best reputation. People think that since they are inexpensive in comparison to the other boats in their class, they are crap. This is not the case! Some of their boats are not the hottest in terms of styling, but I can tell you all of their boats run and handle really well. Ask Aftershock owners what they think of their boats. I havent met one yet that is not satisfied with their purchase. At this time, most people who are speaking of "moving on" or passing on a Carrera are basing their decisions off of negative rumors about Aftershock which is rubbing off on Carrera. I can tell you, from someone who has been in and around the industry for a LONG time, that they do build a nice product and the negative reputation is BS. Go down to the facility and take a look for yourself if you don't believe me. Don't make the assumption that since they are cheaper than the competition that they are not up to quality standards. Do your research and develop an opinion for yourself.

eliminatedsprinter
01-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Makes me go hmmmm......But then again, if I ever can afford a new boat, I'm still hoping Cole will come back. I've always heard rumors about Jim's business dealings, but I love the boats he made.:cool:

BoatFloating
01-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Selling my 3rd Carrera and going on 4th. I think that speaks for itself!!!!!!!!!!!!

unleashed
01-08-2004, 06:41 PM
I saw two new carreras this past year and they both looked very well done. One had twin scorpians and the other had I think a 1200hp motor(not sure of the builder). Everything looked nice from the gelcoat to the rigging. I think the Aftershock thing just throws people for a loop if you know what I mean. I think time will tell if the merger thing works out or not. I also think good PR would go a long ways. To bad they are not going to the boat show as Im sure there were alot of potential buyers they missed out on. If you can't afford to do the boat show then I think that raises a few eyebrows wether its warented or not.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://Unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Kachina26
01-08-2004, 11:13 PM
It wasn't my intention to bad mouth Carrera, I was just a little leary of the situation and stayed away. Perhaps if I had been on the boards back then I could have talked to BADBLOWN572 and gotten a little more info. I enjoyed my last Carrera and if the product continues to be made with the same care and standards as before they will be around for a long time. Unfortunately most folks myself included saw the move to the aftershock facility as a change in ownership and perhaps quality.

BADBLOWN572
01-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by unleashed
If you can't afford to do the boat show then I think that raises a few eyebrows wether its warented or not.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://Unleashedclothing.com) :devil:
It is not that they can not afford it, believe me there is plenty of money backing Aftershock and Carrera, they are just trying a different marketing strategy. They feel that they get a better return on investment if they advertise heavily in publications instead of the boat show. I know I don't necessarily agree with their philosophy, but they are trying something new. I don't know of many manufacturers that advertise as much as Carrera/Aftershock. The thing about the LA boat show is that it isn't just a place to buy, it is a place to look which will possibly end up in a final sale later in the season. I cant remember how many times I heard customers say that they saw the boats in the boat show and now they are coming to purchase. I wish that they were heading to the show and I think that it would be good for them and their image, but then again I don't call the shots or have to spend the $$$.

UnionJack
01-09-2004, 07:09 PM
why is the after shock swim step so high?

bordsmnj
01-10-2004, 12:26 AM
well, i still love our aftershock. 9 months old and like 125 -ish hours on it. Aftershock is a stand up company as far as i'm concerned. heared all kinds of bullshit about aftershock from other builders when i was shopping around. i'm sure they were scared of losing a peice of the market to the new guy on the block that's giving away more for less to get their name out there. the "parent company" that owns aftershock and carrera i think is called west coast tooling. they been around for a loooong time and are not going anywhere. just thought i'd throw in my .02 to for the folks that didn't forget me after the sale!:cool:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-10-2004, 09:22 PM
No West Coast manufacturer should miss the LA boat show.
I can see skipping Pomona or Long Beach, but not LA or even Anaheim!!!!
Carrera has missed it in the past due to the cost, as stated, but it never looks good to your customers!!
I hope them the best.
CJG

BADBLOWN572
01-11-2004, 03:32 PM
I was out at the Carrera Showroom on Saturday and it turns out they are busier this year than any year in the past. I also can not remember the last time that they did not go to the LA show. I believe that this will be a first. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. They have plenty of orders and so at this time, they don't think that it is worth it to go to the show.

CARRERA
01-11-2004, 06:52 PM
I do know that Carrera was not at the show last year.