PDA

View Full Version : Merc prop on Volvo SX drine

LT1 4 FUN
05-02-2002, 09:33 PM
I'm trying a demo prop from the local boat shop 14x19" four blade merc. The guy in the shop gave me "A Sleeve" that adapts the 19T spline of my SX to the merc prop.
The problem is that the bushing that should slide over the shaft seems to be .070 smaller than the shaft. Is this the correct bushing ? Seems like a huge interference fit even if the material is plastic.
Also, I was told I needed to remove an anode to avoid interference with the ribs on the merc prop. By my measurements there will be no interference. I never removed the anode and have owned the boat since new. What does the anode look like and how does it attach? I think mine is missing.

LT1 4 FUN
05-03-2002, 01:43 PM
Nevermind, just needed to remove the old merc bushing. Duh!

Hermosa
05-06-2002, 06:45 AM
Hope the Merc prop works, if it does, keep us posted. I also have a new SX drive and would like to try some Merc props from friends. Where did you get your sleeve from, and how much did it cost you?? Thanks.

LT1 4 FUN
05-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Hermosa:
Tried out the Merc. prop, it seemed to perform well. I went from an aluminum 14 1/2 x 19 pitch 3 blade aluminum to a 19 pitch 4 blade stainless I think it's called a revolution.
The boat undoubtably handled better. It really stayed hooked up in tight turns. The boat even seemed to run smoother.
Unfortunately I was unable to do a good comparison on top end mph, my speedo was wiging out part of the time. I think I may have lost about 2-3 mph. Rpm's maxed at 4400 which is low by about 200-400.
I'm going to try a Merc. High Five (five blade.
The adapter came from Boat Masters, a local boat shop. I was told it costs about $30-$35
[This message has been edited by LT1 4 FUN (edited May 06, 2002).]

Hermosa
05-07-2002, 05:51 AM
Great news, keep me posted on your results. I will probably do the same tests in a month or so, I have a couple friends, between them, they have about 5 great props. Looks like I have a good day of testing ahead of me. Nothing better than try before you buy...

steve@kps
05-17-2002, 09:15 AM
just a suggestion...
typically when replacing an aluminum prop with an sst. you need to drop 2 deg. of pitch. when going to a 4 blade drop another degree.
this is becaue sst props have more progression and more cup built into the prop. hope i've helped.
www.keystonepropeller.com (http://www.keystonepropeller.com)