PDA

View Full Version : Fasting

MsDrmr
01-05-2004, 12:30 PM
I have read a bit on fasting, anyone have any comments about it or experience with it. I have seen great results from Robin (Howard Stern's sidekick) and she said she has been doing it with a special drink. I would like to do this but can't spend the hundreds of dollars that is requested from places on the internet.

mirvin
01-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Hey mrsdrmr,
Fasting is difficult and dangerous. I'm not saying not to do it. Just talk to your doctor first.
There's losts of fasts you can do. Fruit juice, prune juice, plain water. I had a baseball coach that once a year would drink only water for 5 days.
Have you found anything on the internet?
Mirvin

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 12:42 PM
When you say fasting, are you talking about not eating?
Ive personally never thought not eating was a good idea. Whatever weight you drop really fast, especially from not eating, is just going to come back, even worse sometimes.
I mean come on, there is a disease related to not eating, how is that a good idea?

Chase
01-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Restless22
[B how is that a good idea? [/B]
I agree??

MsDrmr
01-05-2004, 12:46 PM
There is some information on the internet, however, they give you little information until you purchase thier plans.
Not eating is dangerous, I would be taking vitamins and drinking water. I understand that is shrinks the stomache and cleanses the body of toxins. Then you go back to eating but your not has hungry as before. You have a tendency to eat smaller portions than before.
Just wanted to know what yal had to say about it, and if there has been anyone with positive results.

Chase
01-05-2004, 12:50 PM
But your body reacts by storing more of the fat in these foods that you do eat in preparation for the next "dry spell"... My wife has been with wieght watchers for quite some time and has done exceptional using that program. In the meetings they explain how the body works in that area and by not eating you are not solving anything in the long term....
This is just what i have learned from one source, and I realize there may be differing opinions, so I am just repaeating what I have heard......

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 12:52 PM
I still dont think its a good idea. You would be doing yourself much better if you just ate smaller portions, and started working out more.
You can even take some diet pills, my husband and I were taking Xenadrine, and that curbs your appetite, gives you energy, all without ephedra. Try something like that before you go and starve yourself..theres just nothing healthy about that.
Just my $.02

Chase
01-05-2004, 12:54 PM
I am with you 22, your body will burn more fat by eating small portions than by not eating at all. Like I said above, your body will not burn energy if it is not getting any, since it naturally preserves for later use. If that makes any sense....

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 12:54 PM
some guys I worked with a couple years ago tried some 'cleansing' diet. It was water with lemon juice and maple surup. they also drank sea salt in the morning. after shitting their brains out for 4 days and crashing from no energy they gave it up. I would think the atkins diet would work better and probably much more healthy!!! oh yeah one more thing fasting makes the body slow down it's metabolism so when you do start eating again your body will be in 'storage' mode. my dad lost 40 lbs last year on the atkins diet and has kept it off pretty well.
Omega

MsDrmr
01-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Okay, I appreciate what your saying, and I have heard that if you don't eat it does store "fat" so thanks for the .02, You are both right. Ya just get to a point where enough is enough ya know what I mean

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 12:56 PM
As much as I disagree with the Atkins diet, I would agree that it is healthier then fasting.
I just dont get it.....(atikins diet) You can eat a whole package of bacon...but not a frikin apple?

Boozer
01-05-2004, 12:57 PM
My grandmother lost 25 lbs and kept it off by fasting. There was a drink she did called medifast. Its a packet you mix with water and it gives your body all of the nutrients and vitamins it needs to keep burning the fat and keep your metabolism functioning correctly without storing up a bunch of crap. She got the idea form Oprah Winphrey because I guess Oprah also lost a lot of weight doing it as well.

Blown 472
01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
You should go on the high protien man ranch diet.:D

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
My grandmother lost 25 lbs and kept it off by fasting. There was a drink she did called medifast. Its a packet you mix with water and it gives your body all of the nutrients and vitamins it needs to keep burning the fat and keep your metabolism functioning correctly without storing up a bunch of crap. She got the idea form Oprah Winphrey because I guess Oprah also lost a lot of weight doing it as well.
Didnt Oprah gain twice as much back also? Thats my point, yah, you will loose that wieght, but as soon as you start eating again, its all going to come back. Sorry,b ut in my opinion the good ol' fashion, eat right and work out is the healthiest way to do it.....

topless
01-05-2004, 01:00 PM
This link might help you. It is long but alot of good info for ya.fasting (http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?PageType=article&ID=1996#3)

MsDrmr
01-05-2004, 01:02 PM
As much as I disagree with the Atkins diet, I would agree that it is healthier then fasting.
I just dont get it.....(atikins diet) You can eat a whole package of bacon...but not a frikin apple?
Thats what I thought too, however, it is said that you are not to eat a whole pound of bacon, they actually reccomend two to three pieces with an egg, or so. People think it's a reason to eat a ton of meat and get carried away, but I think you should never teach yourself to eat "as much as you want" good god no-one would be underweight. If they follow the atkins diet correctly, they monitor what they eat. (or are supposed to)

mirvin
01-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Sorta. ATkins works in "phases". In the first phase yes, you can eat a package of bacon but not an apple.
THe idea is to get your body to remember how to burn fat instead of storing it. THe only way to do this is to limit carbs (extremely in the begining).
IT WORKS.
The thing is that its more of a "lifestyle" then a "diet". I 've been doing it for over a year and it's great. I was never overweight either, just always fighting my appetite and never really feeling good.
Mirvin

MsDrmr
01-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
You should go on the high protien man ranch diet.:D
it's probably the damn "man ranch diet" causing the problem

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 01:06 PM
THe idea is to get your body to remember how to burn fat instead of storing it. THe only way to do this is to limit carbs (extremely in the begining).
IT WORKS.
The thing is that its more of a "lifestyle" then a "diet". I 've been doing it for over a year and it's great. I was never overweight either, just always fighting my appetite and never really feeling good.
Mirvin [/B][/QUOTE]
Good for you! Its good to hear stories of people who were able to keep themselves healthy after being on this diet. I am still young, and have never faught obesity, however Ive always been concious of my weight, and taken good care of myself and eating habits.
I think the biggest problem americans have these days is the idea that they can loose weight, and not have any workout regime. Yes, eating right is of course important, but if you truely want to "Loose Weight" you need to work out.
Again, just my $.02

Caribbean Jet
01-05-2004, 01:06 PM
I remember seeing some Television Show on a resort in Palm Springs that specializes in this. If you do it follow a doctors recommendation. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

MagicMtnDan
01-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Fasting for 24 hours or so can be a good thing but you always want to make sure you're drinking enough water. More than that is not a good idea.

superdave013
01-05-2004, 01:50 PM
I can tell that you do not understand the Atkins diet at all.
Read the first book by Dr. Adkins and it will make more sense.
The only time you do not eat any fruite is druring the induction phase. (first 2 weeks)
Just think about what kind of foods man ate before there was processed food and drive throughs. That's what Dr. Adkins is all about.

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
I can tell that you do not understand the Atkins diet at all.
Read the first book by Dr. Adkins and it will make more sense.
The only time you do not eat any fruite is druring the induction phase. (first 2 weeks)
Just think about what kind of foods man ate before there was processed food and drive throughs. That's what Dr. Adkins is all about.
I did say I didnt understand it.:) ;)

Jordy
01-05-2004, 01:54 PM
I tried fasting once. It was about the longest 20 minutes in my life... ;)

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Does a liqour diet count as fasting????:rolleyes: :confused:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 01:56 PM
as long as it is vodka. the 'low carb' hard liquor:)
Omega

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Oh, well good. In that case, Ive fasted before! Then i threw up all night....damn, I probably lost HELLLLLAAA weight that night huh? hehe:D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 02:03 PM
LOL!!! I spent the latter part of new years eve holding my g/f hair while she experienced the rapid weight loss plan. at least I got my new years kiss before the ralfing began......
Omega

mikev
01-05-2004, 02:10 PM
I fast on a regular basis for 24hrs I just drink juice and water doesnt flushes out the system but I have not lost any weight doing it either but weight loss is not my goal.

MsDrmr
01-05-2004, 02:13 PM
if so thats the diet for me, the new Margartia Diet,,,for further news stay tuned!!!!!!!

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by mikev
I fast on a regular basis for 24hrs I just drink juice and water doesnt flushes out the system but I have not lost any weight doing it either but weight loss is not my goal.
Just curious....What is your goal in doing this?

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by mrsdrmr
if so thats the diet for me, the new Margartia Diet,,,for further news stay tuned!!!!!!!
Im with ya on this one!! Wait...does Tequila have carbs???

MsDrmr
01-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Im with ya on this one!! Wait...does Tequila have carbs???
Restless22 love the avatar!

topless
01-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Michelob Ultra has 2.6 carbs per beer.

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Restless22 love the avatar!
Thanks babe!
So about this diet...when can we start? hehe :D

Dave C
01-05-2004, 02:33 PM
no.. beer is food...
BTW I'm on the sea-food diet... I see food then I eat it..

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Dave, your gonna get fat that way!
Anyways...I hear you do all the cooking around the house...is that ture?

mikev
01-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Mrs. Restless22
Just curious....What is your goal in doing this?
not trying to start a whole nother debate, I do it for religous reasons.

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 02:41 PM
I respect that!
How often do you fast?

mirvin
01-05-2004, 02:44 PM
I think the main thing you will achieve by fasting (non religious) will be a "detoxing" of the body. By fasting you will enable the salts built up in your system to be released thus carrying away any toxins being stored.

mikev
01-05-2004, 02:55 PM
maybe once or twice a month I eat dinner on Friday night and just dirnk juice and water till breakfast sunday morning. i does help shrink the stomach though i cannot eat a very big breakfast even tough I am starved. i did loose about 10 pounds just by drinking a gallon of water a day, flushes the system out

Mrs. Restless22
01-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Mike...dont you have a hard time sleeping?
Seems like whenever my stomach is empty, Im really restless all night.

mikev
01-05-2004, 03:08 PM
i driink a big glass of apple juice right before bed kills the hunger long enough to fall asleep. I drink apple juice because it is allot less acidic than other jucies keeps you from getting acid indigestion.

Tom Brown
01-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
some guys I worked with a couple years ago tried some 'cleansing' diet. It was water with lemon juice and maple surup. they also drank sea salt in the morning. after shitting their brains out for 4 days and crashing from no energy they gave it up.
Omega
You have to work through that phase. After the no energy phase comes a weird phase that often includes halucination. It's probably dehydration from all that shitting. Things stabalize out after that and you don't even feel that hungary. It wouldn't be a great time to do a bunch of heavy lifting, though.

Dave C
01-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Yup, I do all the cooking so hell ya I gonna be a fatso.
You know my Sicilian grandmother says that if your too thin then "nobody loves you"

Dave C
01-05-2004, 04:30 PM
TB,
LMAO,
is that followed by psychosis?
I'm already afraid of the mailman, now do I need to hide from the local dieters too?
:eek: :eek!:

comin' unscrewed
01-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Get a copy of this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0932090028/qid=1073358633//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-4551703-0647818?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) . It's a short, easy read and will dispell most of the myths and hype about fasting. You don't need to pay anyone on the internet for expensive products or infomation. You can easily have a very successful experience based on the info in Paavo's book.
Fasting is a great way to purge your system of toxins. My first fast (3 years ago) I set out to go five days and felt so good I stayed with it for eight. This spring (I do it annually now) I hope to go ten to twelve.
Anyway there's a hell of lot more to it than just not eating. Or, drinking water and taking vitamins. Buy and read the book. Then if you want more details about my personal experience, LMK.
Take care,
Steve

likwidsukr
01-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I tried fasting once. It was about the longest 20 minutes in my life... ;)
Jordy at 8 yrs oldhttp://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/506/22elementaryhunk-thumb.jpg:D :D :)

rrrr
01-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Ohhh, dammity. I thought the title of this thread was FARTING. I had a good story to tell.
:D :D :D

MsDrmr
01-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks babe!
So about this diet...when can we start? hehe :D
Restless, I was thinking the sooner the better, I started last night. Went home and had three margaritas before bed. Nice and cold, tall glasses, smooth, refreshing and uh so worth it.

C-2
01-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Fasting via the Hollywood juice diet works. I lost over 35lbs, my wife even more.
48 hours, no solid food, just the juice and lotsa water, and of course, no cheating. The rest of the week, EXCERCISE and lots of green veggies/chicken, one free day with a red meat. We did this once a month, each time 10 lbs came off and STAYED off until I started eating like a pig again.
It works and is not dangerous. Believe it or not.

MsDrmr
01-06-2004, 02:30 PM
the girls and I in the office just talked about that. we are fasting for two days, then we will start with the atking diet. It's easier to fast here at work then at home with three kids and hubby eating everything in site

Mrs. Restless22
01-06-2004, 02:31 PM
mrsdrmr...How much weight do you want to lose?

MsDrmr
01-06-2004, 02:43 PM
mrsdrmr...How much weight do you want to lose?
shhhhhhh dont tell, I want to loose 40lbs by may, then about another 10-15 after that. I have some medical issues that do hamper the weight loss but I am really willing to work at this

topless
01-06-2004, 04:00 PM
I'll help ya hun!;)

Mandelon
01-06-2004, 04:19 PM
www.SouthBeachDiet.com
It works and its not hard at all. They even have forums you can sign up on.
or at www.prevention.com too
Some fat chick says:
"I was amazed that I could eat foods like mayonnaise, nuts, and red meat that I had avoided for years on the low-fat diets and still lose weight. And did I ever—I lost a total of 27 pounds in three months!"
I started on the strict phase of the diet, and the first week was tough. I was used to eating a lot of carbohydrates, like low-fat cookies, crackers, and cereals. My system was craving them. The dietician suggested that I eat sugar-free candy, which helped. By the end of the first week my cravings had disappeared—and by the end of the second week I had lost a total of 9 pounds! I couldn’t believe it, especially since I was eating as much, if not more, food than I had before. I had more energy, and my clothes felt looser around my waist."

luvmyboat
01-06-2004, 07:18 PM
sounds crazy to me but you women are all crazy if you ask me

mirvin
01-06-2004, 08:42 PM
shhhhhhh dont tell, I want to loose 40lbs by may, then about another 10-15 after that. I have some medical issues that do hamper the weight loss but I am really willing to work at this
Hey Mrsdrmr, if you have medical issues please do yourself a favor and talk to your doctor. Induction ( first phase of atkins) is a fairly dangerous process and complicating it by fasting first may not be the best thing for someone with medical issues.
Sorry for the rant, just looking out for ya.
Mirv:cool:

Windy
01-07-2004, 12:33 AM
I want to loose 40lbs by may, then about another 10-15 after that.
Stay away from margaritas then...they are loaded with calories and carbs.
Just some friendly advice...good luck to ya.
MissHBjet

riverdog
01-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Try my variation of the Atkins diet. 42 grams total carb intake per day. I lost 20 lbs. in 6 weeks.
8 Coors Lights and a salad.

MsDrmr
01-07-2004, 09:50 AM
I spoke with the Dr. he says a couple days wont hurt. so the Fasting started last night a 8pm, I will do it until dinner friday night when I will start the atkins diet. No margaritas for me for a long time, (I will have some on the cruise). I have given up my #1 addtiction of Diet Coke. I will drink water for the next two days then introduce iced tea. This is gonna be difficult but I can do it.

Mrs. Restless22
01-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Im rootin for ya!!!
MissHBJett is right, stay away from those margaritas. Most mixed drinks are so full of calories and sugars, they are really bad for you. Your better off with a glass of wine, or light beer.
Good Luck!

Windy
01-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Your better off with a glass of wine, or light beer.
Good Luck!
My preferred drink is Vodka Tonics with Diet Tonic.
Diet Tonic = ZERO carbs
Let us know how the fasting goes, and dont forget to take your vitamins.
Be safe,
MissHBjet

Mrs. Restless22
01-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Thats a great drink...throw in a splash of grenadine...yum!!!

HammerDown
01-07-2004, 12:07 PM
I have given up my #1 addtiction of Diet Coke. I will drink water for the next two days then introduce iced tea.
Whats wrong with Diet Coke??? I main line that stuff:D

Windy
01-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
No carbs in Diet Coke either. :D

Blown 472
01-07-2004, 12:19 PM
I snorted gin on new years eve.

HammerDown
01-07-2004, 12:25 PM
I snorted gin on new years eve.
Doesn't that stuff take the ink off the dollar bills?

Blown 472
01-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Doesn't that stuff take the ink off the dollar bills?
dunno, but it burned.

HammerDown
01-07-2004, 12:28 PM
dunno, but it burned.
Cool, did ya get "suck eye" like that other stuff gives ya?

Blown 472
01-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Cool, did ya get "suck eye" like that other stuff gives ya?
Suck eye?? they watered like a bitch.

HammerDown
01-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Suck eye?? they watered like a bitch.
"Suck eye" thats what we use to call it back in the late 70's early 80's....the eye that was on the same side as the "goods" entering the nostril would rotate in, kinda funny.
Then there was the back throat drip.
That was then...now it's just Diet Coke for me:D

Blown 472
01-07-2004, 12:41 PM
OH that, then there is the whole rubbing it on your gums thing.

HammerDown
01-07-2004, 12:54 PM
OH that, then there is the whole rubbing it on your gums thing.
I belive were talking about two different products here.
The one I feel your referring to made me grumpy and I wanted to fight anything...the product I'm referring to was somewhat topic relaited as it really kept the weight off:rolleyes: :D ...and burned like the best hot sauce on the market, and made one (me) very productive.

MsDrmr
01-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Diet coke does not have carbs,,,however, on the atkins diet they say to avoid drinks with aspertine (a sugar sub) and I have not found a diet drink that does not have it.

MsDrmr
01-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by MissHBjet
My preferred drink is Vodka Tonics with Diet Tonic.
Diet Tonic = ZERO carbs
Let us know how the fasting goes, and dont forget to take your vitamins.
Be safe,
MissHBjet
Ms HB thanks for the support. I'll keep yal up to date

Blown 472
01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
I belive were talking about two different products here.
The one I feel your referring to made me grumpy and I wanted to fight anything...the product I'm referring to was somewhat topic relaited as it really kept the weight off:rolleyes: :D ...and burned like the best hot sauce on the market, and made one (me) very productive.
Oh you mean the greasy smelling stuff?? my house used to get cleaned all the time.

Coach
01-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Most low carb diets encourage you to stop or lower your caffeine intake, because caffeine will cause the pancreas to release insulin which in turn will cause unwanted fat storage. The goal of the South Beach diet or Atkins is to reduce carbs and eliminate most refined sugars. The reduction of sugars will slow and control the insulin released. Insulin will cause the food you eat to be stored as fat. The worst sugar you can have is found in, you guessed it, BEER. The #1 reason we get the beer gut.

Blown 472
01-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Coach
Most low carb diets encourage you to stop or lower your caffeine intake, because caffeine will cause the pancreas to release insulin which in turn will cause unwanted fat storage. The goal of the South Beach diet or Atkins is to reduce carbs and eliminate most refined sugars. The reduction of sugars will slow and control the insulin released. Insulin will cause the food you eat to be stored as fat. The worst sugar you can have is found in, you guessed it, BEER. The #1 reason we get the beer gut.
Well that explains this growth over my belt. :rolleyes:

HammerDown
01-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Oh you mean the greasy smelling stuff?? my house used to get cleaned all the time.
Thats how I built my house...myself:eek:
It also was a great laxative...just the sight of it gave me the run's:D

C-2
01-07-2004, 02:34 PM
mrsdrmr
BTW, pickles are your best friend. 0-5 calories, no fat and they fill you up. You can eat a whole jar and still have consumed less calories than drinking a beer.

MsDrmr
01-07-2004, 02:38 PM
I have never been able to drink beer cause I can't stand the smell of it. (funny enough) so beer has'nt been the problem but thanks. I do love pickles, but it's not eh cal i'm a countin it's the carbs.

C-2
01-07-2004, 03:58 PM
1g carbs, o fat, high sodium though (higher than diet coke).

Fufu Queen
01-07-2004, 10:41 PM
When you diet you need to remember to listen to your body, no matter if your fasting, Atkins etc........ You body will let you know if what you are doing is right or not. As far as with any diet you should always pick one that is good for you, also, diet is not something you say it's something you do for life. That is if you dont want to put your body thru a rolla-coster, you could be doing more damage by going on and off, any diet. Just remember you are what you eat and if your not eating what are you?
Hustler and I have been doing Atkins for almost a year, we have changed our lives, just a little but not a ton. We still eat fruit and a ton of veggies, with the pasta and other stuff Atkins has come out with, plus the things I have put together we dont miss much. We both got to our goal weight and gave our self a 5lb safe zone. Hustler actualy lost 16 lb in the first 2 weeks, I only lost 6 lb. But we got to where we wanted to be.
Remember what you do to your body now will determin what your body does for you later.
Just my .02. Treat your body right because we only have this skin once.
Sorry dont mean to be a naggggg. A ton of luck to all of you who are dieting it's not an easy road. But you have a ton of support.
:p