PDA

View Full Version : Roll pan opinions

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 12:46 PM
thinking about putting a roll pan on my '02 GMC Sierra. Wanting some opinions on fiberglass vs. steel. Truck is a daily driver that never sees any serious off roading. Leaning more towards fiberglass right now due to price and less prep work. Thanks for any input or advice.
Omega

TrojanDan
01-05-2004, 01:00 PM
It will only take one inadvertent back-up into that pole in the McDonald's parking lot to wish you never put on that damn rollpan. No matter how good of a driver you are, shit happens and that roll pan will be a magnet to obsticles "jumping" in your way.
They are cool when all painted and dentless but nothing beats a full chrome bumper with a receiver and ball in the hitch for safety factor. :D

mirvin
01-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Go with the steel. Fiberglass sucks.

superdave013
01-05-2004, 01:10 PM
what kind of real Texan would put a roll pan on a 4X4 truck.
Come on Omega, step up to a 6" SCH 80 pipe bumper! :D
But now that I think about it, a dimond plate pan might look red neck enough. :eek:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
what kind of real Texan would put a roll pan on a 4X4 truck.
Come on Omega, step up to a 6" SCH 80 pipe bumper! :D
But now that I think about it, a dimond plate pan might look red neck enough. :eek:
don't have 4x4 on the sierra or the Tahoe. chevy's don't need it:D
I have considered a double 5" drill pipe bumper. that should give me a 2" drop in the rear and subtract 4 mpg.
seriously though I read that the steel roll pans need body filler around the seams and something about that turns me off.
Omega

HavasuDreamin'
01-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Downside to a roll pan is that in the event of a minor bump, your sheet metal down the side if your truck buckles. Your roll pan also gets F'd up.
Downside to fiberglass------> doesn't look as good or as clean as steel. Postive attributes-------> they are cheap and if you F one up, it can be replaced easily.
I love clean trucks done up right. I wouldn't do one again though as a daily driver. :( Too many headaches.

NastyOne
01-05-2004, 01:16 PM
I cant belive that you would ask such a question. Fiberglass is shit! Steel is the way to go.

MagicMtnDan
01-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Paint yoru chrome bumper to match your truck. You need the protection from your own mistakes and others hitting you.

mirvin
01-05-2004, 01:35 PM
You mean your truck isnt' lowered?:D
The good thing about a roll pan is when someone hits you, NEW PAINTJOB!!!
But when you hit that pole behind you, your screwed.
I have a 95 Chevy pick up with a roll pan and it's dented, that's just the way it is. Some of the dents are from me, some are from a holes. O well.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 01:36 PM
does anyone have any experience with the steel ones? My main concern is that as much bouncing and twisting that goes on back there the body filler would come loose around the seams and look like chit. the cost difference between the two is only about $50 so they both are fairly inexpensive. I hear everyone about the safety factor but frankly people in Texas don't drive near as crazy as those in Cali. the chrome bumper doesn't offend me I just plan to shave the tailgate and drop a tanneau cover on it and I think it would look much cleaner with the pan. I can honestly say I have never backed into anything. Everything is bigger in Texas including our parking lots:D
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
You mean your truck isnt' lowered?:D
The good thing about a roll pan is when someone hits you, NEW PAINTJOB!!!
But when you hit that pole behind you, your screwed.
I have a 95 Chevy pick up with a roll pan and it's dented, that's just the way it is. Some of the dents are from me, some are from a holes. O well.
not yet.....:D I do have my eye on a 2/4 drop kit but that's later down the road.....did you do the pan yourself or let a body shop do it? I'm thinking about doing the prep myself and letting a buddy at the body shop shoot it for me. Are the sir michaels pan's the best steel pans?
Omega

mirvin
01-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Omega, Sir Michaels does have some good stuff. I've never compared though. If you can do the body work yourself that's cool. The pan shouldn't be too hard. The seems don't get filled though. Between the back of the fender and the roll pan I mean. At least mines not. Just screwed.
My truck was as is when I bought it. 3/5 drop, roll pan, front bumper cover, spare tire relocater and hidden hitch. I don't know where it was done.
I will say, however, if I did it all over again, I wouln't have a lowered truck as my daily driver. Now if you bag it with an onboard compressor. . . . ......
Mirv

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 01:47 PM
I was refering to the welded seams around the liscense plate box. on sir michaels web site they state that they must be filled with body filler. Just wondering to what extent. I am definitely looking at a bolt on pan not a weld on.
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
I will say, however, if I did it all over again, I wouln't have a lowered truck as my daily driver. Now if you bag it with an onboard compressor. . . . ......
Mirv
I was thinking of the 2" spindles on the front to keep the geometry and ride correct. I assume yours was done with springs/control arms? does it wear tires pretty hard? Like I said the drop is way in the future. I may end up just dropping the rear 2" so it isn't all jacked up looking in the rear.
Omega

superV
01-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Never had a problem with mine and its metal!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/475Mvc-001s-med.jpg :D

mirvin
01-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
I was thinking of the 2" spindles on the front to keep the geometry and ride correct. I assume yours was done with springs/control arms? does it wear tires pretty hard? Like I said the drop is way in the future. I may end up just dropping the rear 2" so it isn't all jacked up looking in the rear.
Omega
Mine was done by DJM- front lower a-arms - keeping the spindle right. It doesn't seem to wear tires but I go through shocks. My ride is actually pretty good and I have overloads in the back so I can tow, but you still have to slow down at bumps. I can only imagine the ride on a 4/6 or 5/7 drop. Looks cool but dam!
Mirv

roln 20s
01-05-2004, 02:13 PM
I bought a Sir Michaels Steel roll pan-- its a bit more prep work, but not only does it look better, its well worth it. I've had mine since 99- and it looks great. STEEL!
Roln 20s

Nubbs
01-05-2004, 02:19 PM
I switched from a fiberglass roll pan to a Sir Michael's steel pan on my pickup. The fiberglass pan was starting to crack at the mounting locations. The paint spider cracked on the fiberglass pan too. I feel it was worth the extra money to go steel.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-05-2004, 02:38 PM
thanks for the input. looks like maybe I should go steel after all. a little bondo never hurt nobody anyway........
Omega

manuel
01-05-2004, 03:39 PM
I got the Sir Michaels steel weld on with the license plate box and hidden hitch behind it, completely pleased, only a tiny amount of filler was needed to feather it in, and when it got dented by the trailer tongue (she was backing it up, not me) it was an easy fix but the same hit would of totaled the glass unit, mine got rusty after a few years because I didn't do anything to the other side of it, next time I'll undercoat it or something, Manuel