PDA

View Full Version : Which brand of blower????

Snowboat
01-05-2004, 05:46 PM
I know, buy a Whipple. Money is always a concern. I found a complete Weiand setup, but I have heard they are not the best. What's the difference between them and all the others, like Bowers, Littlefield, Dyers, BDS, and Kuhl. Can you use an alchohol blower on gas? There is no way I'll spend for a new complete kit, should be able to piece one together for 60% of new. Thanks for your comments.

Infomaniac
01-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Doug Herbert has satin 6-71 kits new for 2k on sale now.

Fiat48
01-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Also suggest you contact Jim Mayer at http://www.goodvibesracing.com/. Jim will go out of his way to do the best for you. New or used. Last complete setup I bought was around $3000 but that was back a few years ago. Alcohol blowers are set up tighter and overheat if run on gas. Make sure whatever intake manifold you use is peak floor style, as flat floor blower manifolds have this thing about hot cylinders. Also due to the nostalgia fad, 8/71 are generally the same price or cheaper than a 6/71. 10/71's and up, you'll spend money on an offset mag drive.

Heatseeker
01-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Fiat's right. Call Jim at Goodvibes. He'll sell you exactly what you need and be there technically if you need him.
That's what I did :D !

HEAVYBOAT
01-05-2004, 07:13 PM
The "better" blowers supposedly use superior/stronger parts, set them up more precisely for higher rpms and have tighter clearances on rotors/case.
If the "alky" blower is set up “tight” assuming its going to be burning cool alky, the clearances MAY be too tight if someone uses it with the “hotter” burning gasoline. Not saying this method is always used with all blower company’s but it’s probably best to find out the exact model and call the manufacture for the specs before buying one.
I was surfing another forum and found cheap alky blower for sale…
http://hre.com/discus/messages/7/7.html?1073337721
opps........ fiat it must sound like theres an echo in here.. sorry for the repost.

superdave013
01-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I'll toss in a good word for Jim at good vibs. If I can get away from my booth at this sunday's swapmeet I'll swing by and check his out. If your # is still good I'll call you.
Weiand's suck big cock. The snouts/drives are weak and break. Also the weiand intakes set the blower back farther on the engine. My mag was close and would not fit with an 8-71. I bet an msd wound not fit even with a 6-71.
Last but not least the drive has a larger pilot boss on it. I can't remember the exact measurement but I know a standard pulley with a 2" hole won't fit. I had to turn all my pulleys out larger. Then I broke the freaking snout. Took it all to Gean @ Moneyham and he boo hooed the whole deal. So I went for the second and got it boo hooed by Mert Littlefield. I ended up buying a new 8-71 from littlefield as it was the same price as a 6-71.
I shit canned the intake and picked up a new one from Jim at good vibs.

Fiat48
01-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Gee Dave, that's a gentle way of putting it to Weind. There was also something about the Weind pulleys had symetrical bolt holes on the pulleys and everybody else uses the Crager style which had one offset hole. I've seen some of those little bitty snout drives also. Real twisters.
Sounds like you got Boo Hooed by the oldest guys in the buisness!

superdave013
01-05-2004, 08:55 PM
lol, and another thing! lol After all of that I was left with a bunch of pulleys that wouldn't fit my new blower. That's when it was time to go 8mm.
Not only the oldest guys in the buz but the nicest too. That Gean Mooneyham was always super nice to me. I felt like I was talking to a living legend and I was really.
My shop is right by Mert's place and I used to drive right by Gean's on my way home everyday.
Did I bring up the fact that when my snout broke the pulley went right through my Dan Olson wing like a thick buzz saw. :rolleyes:

HEAVYBOAT
01-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Another
SBC 6-71 Weiand Blower & manifold, dual carb setup. Never used. All parts, gaskets, etc (no carbs), hardware.
Jim Scott PRICE: $2,000.00
No Picture! PHONE: (416) 688-8352
URL: http://www.youthinmotion.net

boatnam2
01-06-2004, 12:18 AM
littlefeild!

Hallett
01-06-2004, 03:57 AM
THE BLOWER SHOP IS MY PIC.

P-Money
01-06-2004, 04:13 AM
Anyone have an opinion on Dyers? Just curious.

promod
01-06-2004, 08:59 AM
i run a blown alky bbc and got all my stuff from good vibration and jim mayer set up all mt stuff for my motor rreal nice group of people real knowledgeable staff i would highly recommend bds have run other and this is so far the best i have used for racing, weiand is good for street use
my .02
later
promod :D :p

Snowboat
01-06-2004, 09:47 AM
I called the guy with the Weiand, left out some of Dave's comments. Dave, my #'s are still the same, or the PM function on the forums will work. Just feel around, don't buy. Appreciate it. Got a few PM's, thanks. Heavyboat, my engine is a BBC Mark IV. I found a pretty good deal on a B&M, but I never heard anything good about those either.

Infomaniac
01-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Yea a Weiand is OK if you do not work it hard. Not good quality kits.
I have ran a multitude of B&M blowers with no problems. As long as you do not expect more from them than they are capable of.
Never the Mega BLower. It is OK for street use and no top plate means carbs forever.

HEAVYBOAT
01-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Mega blower?
Is that the 420? If so..My buddy put one on his truck.. it runs pretty dam good. Being a BDS guy myself, I thought the B&M's were complete junk. So I was telling him, "don’t expect much from that slug"
So we jumped in it one early Saturday morning, DROVE the farm truck the 3 hours( 200 miles) to a track that had a race that day and the small block 420 B&M layed down a 11.3 quarter mile in a 4200pd street truck. My math tells me that’s 700+hp with that mild motor with a B&M. Pretty cool for what it was, but it is just in a street type application.
http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/G7462504S3MY.html

Unchained
01-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by P-Money
Anyone have an opinion on Dyers? Just curious.
I had a 6-71 Dyers years ago. It ran trouble free for me for many years on a 90 mph jet boat but I would only consider it to be a street blower and that's what Dyer's sells them as.
They only come with a 1/2" pitch drive setup.
As I recall I got about 7 lbs / 468 ci / 21% OD / 5500 rpm
In my opinion if you're going to go to the expense of installing a blower or any kind of compressor, make sure it is at least capable of putting out 1 bar (14.7 psi).
I see some kits that cost $3,500 + and advertise 6 psi and it seems like a waste to me.

DansBlown73Nordic
01-06-2004, 03:09 PM
I have been thinking of buying a blower for a long time. I got very lucky. Someone on these bourdes hooked me up. I bought this complete motor running for what a blower cost new. I know its only a B&M but it still looks cool and will get plenty of these.....:eek!: :eek!: :eek: :D

DansBlown73Nordic
01-06-2004, 03:10 PM
:(

GofastRacer
01-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Well if you look in Summit's catalog and read what they say about the Weiand, it says "srteetable horsepower", that tells me something right there, not too heavy duty!...Personally I'm old school and I'll stick with the man "Mooneyham", that's what will be going on the GN boat when it's done!..:)

75spectra
01-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Weiands are not all bad! The 6-71 is not going to take the abuse of a marine engine but the 8-71 will more than handle it. I got an 8 and its an awesome unit and I have not found any parts that wont interchange.
Be aware that Weiand is now owned by Holley who also bought B&M so the new Weiand blowers are going to be 2 lobe B&M units revamped. I called and talked to Weiand before i bought mine and the tech guys there are not real happy about the changes that Holley is making. They told me to buy an old stock 3 lobe twisted rotor blower and keep the oil in it clean and it will run forever, provided screws and shit dont go through it.....:mad: :mad: :mad:

SPECTRABRENT
01-06-2004, 08:20 PM
The Blower Shop.
Brent

superdave013
01-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by 75spectra
Weiands are not all bad! The 6-71 is not going to take the abuse of a marine engine but the 8-71 will more than handle it. I got an 8 and its an awesome unit and I have not found any parts that wont interchange.
Be aware that Weiand is now owned by Holley who also bought B&M so the new Weiand blowers are going to be 2 lobe B&M units revamped. I called and talked to Weiand before i bought mine and the tech guys there are not real happy about the changes that Holley is making. They told me to buy an old stock 3 lobe twisted rotor blower and keep the oil in it clean and it will run forever, provided screws and shit dont go through it.....:mad: :mad: :mad:
The one's with the one peice snout / front cover are pretty week. Does not matter if it's on a 6 or an 8. I would think an 8-71 would put more load on it myself. I will admit that I was leaning on it harder then most lake boats will. But the guy asking has a nasty flatbottom too so I'ed think he'll be stepping it up some also.
Sorry to hear about them going to 2 lobe rotors. Weiand is not the only unhappy campers with Holley. Earls and a few others are bummin as well.
Does your's have a two peice snout and cover? If so what is the dia. of the center hole in your top pulley?

cal***boat
01-07-2004, 05:46 AM
The Blower Shop 14-71 with high heilex billet rotors and an RCD drive is the best we have found to run at this time for the money.

promod
01-07-2004, 06:00 AM
BDS stands for BAD DAM SHIT
LATER PROMOD

Infomaniac
01-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by promod
BDS stands for BAD DAM SHIT
LATER PROMOD
Good bad or bad bad?
Interesting thread. HEAVYBOAT type analagy
Snowboat:
Hey guys I want a blower but cannot shell out for new. I want to piece something together and save some coin.
Guys:
BDS - Hampton - Blower Shop - Dyers - Littlefield - Call Jim @ goodvibes.
Infomaniac:
Waiting to see how the low buck blower sys is put together with all of this. I will do it mywelf when I see how it is done.
LOL just having fun with this.

Fiat48
01-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Jim knows all the funny car racers in CIFCA and has display blower stuff for sale that he sometimes discounts. Also has a used parts database on his site. While nothings cheap with this blower stuff, you can save some money on used stuff and the flip side of that is the blower stuff always holds it's value if bought right. I know a few guys that bought used from the Blower Shop also at good prices.
Superdave is in the right area (Long Beach) and might be willing to watch for you a bargain on pieces. 2 grand is cheap for the Wiend deal. But I don't like them for the reasons Dave mentioned plus I don't like their manifold. And they are probably 1/2" pitch also which I don't care for. Just my opinion though as I know there are Wiends out there running.

Snowboat
01-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Info...........I'm feeling a slight sting. As Fiat says, it can be done. I bet I can get a decent setup, blower, manifold, snout, pullies, and belt for less than $2,000.00 as opposed to $2,800.00 to $3,500.00.

superdave013
01-07-2004, 10:48 AM
It's hard for me to watch these days. Now that I'm selling out there I don't get to walk the swapmeet anymore. But this time I'm all signed up and pre registered so I'll be able to get in early and set up. I'll be one row over from Jim this sunday so I should be able to get over there before the gates open to the public.
If he has something I'll just call snowboat on the phone and hand it to Jim.
Used blower can be a deal and they can be a real problem. You gotta trust the guy your getting it from. I learned the hard way on buying them. I bought a 6-71 once and then I found out there is ones with small rotors and big rotors. :rolleyes: Also they can get out of time over the years. And if they've been banged (backfires) the rotors can get bent.
BTW, if anyone is going out to the swap on sunday I'll be in space 760. :)

Infomaniac
01-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Snowboat
Info...........I'm feeling a slight sting. As Fiat says, it can be done. I bet I can get a decent setup, blower, manifold, snout, pullies, and belt for less than $2,000.00 as opposed to $2,800.00 to $3,500.00.
No need to feel a sting. I was just posting my smart ass style of humor.
Sometimes not communicated well if it is unexpected. I appologize.
My comment was an attempt at humor driven from a combination of previous threads.
I guess it is one of those had to be there things and only funny to me.
Please disregard. :wink:

superdave013
01-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cal***boat
The Blower Shop 14-71 with high heilex billet rotors and an RCD drive is the best we have found to run at this time for the money.
If you can geta set up with one of those for snowboat's budget I'll take 3 of them.

Booster
01-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by 75spectra
Be aware that Weiand is now owned by Holley who also bought B&M
Actually, Holley only bought the supercharger division from B&M. B&M is still owned by the original founder, Bob Sparr.
My vote for serious HP is:
PSI Superchargers:
5006 South Ash St
Suite 103
Tempe, AZ 85282
480-820-6511

Snowboat
01-07-2004, 02:34 PM
It wasn't a sting that felt bad. The last engine had a used truck block from Fiat, and almost everything else was from e bay, all new.

promod
01-07-2004, 03:04 PM
BAD AS IN GOOD AWESOME PEICE
NOTHING BUT GOOD USE
LATER PROMOD

HP350SC
01-07-2004, 03:08 PM
No need to feel a sting. I was just posting my smart ass style of humor.
Sometimes not communicated well if it is unexpected. I appologize.
My comment was an attempt at humor driven from a combination of previous threads.
I guess it is one of those had to be there things and only funny to me.
Please disregard. :wink: [/B][/QUOTE]
LMFAO!

Fiat48
01-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Snowboat
It wasn't a sting that felt bad. The last engine had a used truck block from Fiat, and almost everything else was from e bay, all new.
Here's a list of best prices I've done used. Followed by normal used priced to give you an idea:
Used 6/71 blower polished $800. Norm used is $1200
Used snout & drive $150 usually $200
Pulleys 8mm $40 ea usually $60 ea
Used belt $20 usually $75
crank hub $50 or external $100
Idler $50
Idler bracket $25 (or make yourself)
BDS intake manifold $275. Rare to get used and they sell fast. Better off to let Jim find you a "blem". Jim found me one with a lot of cast slag in it. Just grind it out.
If it were not for used parts I'd not be running. But you gotta dig.
Update: Snowboat check your PM. Found some things.

FastTimmy
01-07-2004, 05:51 PM
When I was shopping for just a good old 8-71 the blowershop shop stuff was good and I liked there intercooler. Now wipple has a new cool one two. But any way the best deal that I found is linked below. If you go to the link just scroll down about half way and look for the super chargers section. The 8-71 they list is a complete Blower shop kit with 8mm pullies, Belt, polished out side and hard anodized inside. The only thing extra is the throtle linkage. I do not remember if it included the crank hub so be sure to ask if you call em. The shipping was 100.00 bucks. to the west coast.
My .02 Timmy
http://www.chiefengines.com/parts.htm

sanger mike
01-10-2004, 04:58 PM
try, superchargerusa.com :D im very happy with them. I got the 871. same price as 671

ACCEPTENCE
01-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
lol, and another thing! lol After all of that I was left with a bunch of pulleys that wouldn't fit my new blower. That's when it was time to go 8mm.
Not only the oldest guys in the buz but the nicest too. That Gean Mooneyham was always super nice to me. I felt like I was talking to a living legend and I was really.
My shop is right by Mert's place and I used to drive right by Gean's on my way home everyday.
Did I bring up the fact that when my snout broke the pulley went right through my Dan Olson wing like a thick buzz saw. :rolleyes:
Did I bring up the fact that when my snout broke the pulley went right through my Dan Olson wing like a thick buzz saw. :rolleyes: [/QUOTE] [/B]
OH!!! That had to suck big!!!

promod
01-13-2004, 06:52 AM
it's all good to all
later
promod:D
baj #817:p

blownalky557
01-14-2004, 08:56 PM
The Blower Shop 14-71 Race High-Helix Retro Billet Rotors

75spectra
01-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Superdave; Yeh my Weiand is the 2 peice front cover and the standard size drive to use all other manufacturers pulleys. Its a really nice blower for the money!