PDA

View Full Version : Akebono (6'8" 463 pounds) Fights Bob Sapp (6'7" 344 pounds)

MagicMtnDan
01-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Sumo champ Akebono fails in K-1 debut
Posted: Thursday January 1, 2004 2:03AM; Updated: Thursday January 1, 2004 2:03AM
NAGOYA, Japan (AP) -- Former sumo wrestler Akebono didn't last long in his K-1 debut against Bob Sapp.
Sapp, a former NFL lineman with the Minnesota Vikings, used a left-right combination to floor the massive Hawaiian-born wrestler in the waning seconds of the first round in the three-round bout before 43,500 at Nagoya Dome.
Sapp, a veteran of K-1, used a series of low kicks to the legs in an attempt to exploit the gimpy knees that forced Akebono to retire from sumo in 2001.
"Tyson, you're next," Sapp said after the bout. "It's been a year of challenges. Akebono accepted the challenge and now it's your turn."
K-1 organizers are looking to tap into the lucrative American market and have signed Mike Tyson to a contract but no fights involving the former heavyweight have been confirmed so far.
"I thought it was an exciting fight," said Tyson via satellite from Hawaii. "As I expected, Akebono couldn't take the punches. In his previous career in sumo he didn't have to deal with anything like that."
The 6-foot-8, 463-pound Akebono, who started training for this bout only two months ago, got off to a good start, forcing Sapp into the corner several times with his weight advantage and arm thrusts.
Akebono:
http://www.weekender.co.jp/new/031205/images/p20_4.jpg
"I trained hard for two months," said Akebono. "I had no idea how strong Bob was but tonight I was able to experience his strength."
After being forced to the corner, the 6-foot-7, 344-pound Sapp bounced back and knocked Akebono down twice before finishing him off with a flurry that bloodied the nose of the former grand champion, who fell head first to the canvas and was slow getting up.
Sapp, who is tremendously popular in Japan, entered Wednesday's contest with a 4-3 record in K-1 bouts.
Bob Sapp:
http://www.weekender.co.jp/new/031205/images/p20_3.jpg
Akebono drew the biggest ovation in the pre-bout introductions. His fans were anxious to see how his prowess in Japan's ancient sport would translate to K-1, a brutal sport that combines elements of karate, kickboxing and taekwando.
Akebono, who was the first foreigner to reach sumo's highest rank of grand champion, severed all ties with the sport in November in order to take up a career in K-1. He said after Wednesday's bout that he would like a rematch.
"I'd like to have a little more time to prepare and if Mr. Sapp is willing to give me another chance I'd like to fight him again," said Akebono.
In agreeing to take on Sapp, many felt Akebono was tarnishing the image of a grand champion by fighting in K-1.
The title of yokozuna is more than a sports achievement -- it's considered a mark of honor and its holders are held up to very high standards, even after leaving the raised ring.
While the 34-year-old Akebono said his decision to take on Sapp was driven by a desire to compete, many speculated that his motives were financial. Akebono was unable to get the backing of the sumo world to set up his own stable after retiring.
Akebono won 11 Emperor's Cups in sumo, one less than fellow Hawaiian Musashimaru, who retired in November.
In Japan, K-1 bouts are regularly staged before crowds of up to 70,000.

boatnam2
01-05-2004, 11:28 PM
tyson will knock him out in less than a minute.

HighRoller
01-06-2004, 03:34 AM
tyson will knock him out in less than a minute
And if that doesn't work he'll either rape him or bite off his ear!

HOSS
01-06-2004, 06:30 AM
I want to see it. But I won`t pay.

JetBoatRich
01-06-2004, 06:35 AM
I was trying to post the picture of that guy, he was extremely overweight:( not sure if you saw it:eek:

MagicMtnDan
01-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by boatnam2
tyson will knock him out in less than a minute.
K-1, a brutal sport that combines elements of karate, kickboxing and taekwando.
I haven't seen any of the K-1 bouts but nothing in that description mentions boxing. And I don't think Tyson knows anything about karate, kickboxing and taekwando - hell, he can't spell them and probably can't even pronounce them.
http://www.nrm.org/illustration/obrien/tyson.jpg

Caribbean Jet
01-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I haven't seen any of the K-1 bouts but nothing in that description mentions boxing. And I don't think Tyson knows anything about karate, kickboxing and taekwando - hell, he can't spell them and probably can't even pronounce them.
http://www.nrm.org/illustration/obrien/tyson.jpg
I have seen Bob Sapp fight a couple of K-1 fight and its looks like Boxing with some kicks. Tyson woiuld work that guy. I don't think that he could take one of Tysons punches.