PDA

View Full Version : New Ford Cobra?

Craig
01-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Will it be built?
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/images/fordcom/NAIAS/Cobra_FrontQtr.jpg

Havasu Cig
01-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Shelby is already making a new version of the Cobra. I think he has Ford beat.:cool:

BADBLOWN572
01-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Hopefully they will be installing some big power in that car. Ford has slacked off on the muscle cars for a while. Even the new Mustang (with the exception of the Saleen) are underpowered. They need to put some power in their cars if they want to bring back one of the best cars ever produced! Maybe it will be under $200k so regular people could afford them. (Also looking forward to the new GT40)

kevnmcd
01-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
Hopefully they will be installing some big power in that car. Ford has slacked off on the muscle cars for a while. Even the new Mustang (with the exception of the Saleen) are underpowered. They need to put some power in their cars if they want to bring back one of the best cars ever produced! Maybe it will be under $200k so regular people could afford them. (Also looking forward to the new GT40)
You don't think that 400 stock hp is enough in the current Cobra? I have a '99 with only 320 stock hp and I can keep up with just about anything out there. :D

1Shockwaveguy
01-06-2004, 12:35 PM
I just bought the new supercharged version and it hauls ass. Actually beat the vette in one of two tests

Havasu Cig
01-06-2004, 12:35 PM
The new GT40 is badass. I read it should be pushing 200 mph. 150k, and there is a waiting list though.:eek:

BADBLOWN572
01-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by kevnmcd
You don't think that 400 stock hp is enough in the current Cobra? I have a '99 with only 320 stock hp and I can keep up with just about anything out there. :D
I think that 400hp should be the entry level in this car. The thing that the old Cobras had was torque. You cant get the same type of torque from a small block as you can from a bigblock. That is what I miss!
Kevn, not to dog you at all, but I was not impressed with the newer Mustangs. I thought that they were underpowered and did not handle very well in the stock formation. My father does have a 2000 Saleen that has been worked pretty hard, so I do know what potential they have and it is awesome. I have smoked Vettes in straight lines as well as corners. I have taken some corners that I was scared entering and the car stuck it no problem. However the car has approx 550h.p. at the tires too and a complete set of racing suspension. I would like to see someone make a limited production vehicle setup with big power that is designed as a race car that you can drive on the street. Maybe the Cobra could be the one! I doubt it, but I can hope.

kevnmcd
01-06-2004, 12:54 PM
BadBlown572 - I agree with you that there is always room for more hp and handling. I just think for the $$$, that the stock Cobra isn't bad....especially for a daily driver like mine. :D

BADBLOWN572
01-06-2004, 01:00 PM
I fully agree that it is an awesome daily driver, especially for the $, but if I am going to go out and spend some serious coin, I want that thing to haul ass!

NOTALENT
01-06-2004, 01:05 PM
WHO CARES!!!! ITS FORD!!!!!!!!! ITS CRAP!!!!!!! I THOUGHT EVERYONE ALREADY WENT OVER THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Craig
01-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
Shelby is already making a new version of the Cobra. I think he has Ford beat.:cool:
Shelby is again involved with Ford, here's some more info;
Ford's Shelby Cobra Concept is Possible Next Step
Featured Stories
Press Releases
By: Brad Nevin | Ford Communications Network
Watch the Ford Shelby Cobra concept unveiling video.
The new Ford GT and Mustang have arrived. Ford's Shelby Cobra concept signals a possible next step in the blue oval performance lineup.
DETROIT – Huge engine, tiny car.
Those are the two founding principles of the Ford Shelby Cobra concept on display in Detroit at the 2004 North American International Auto Show.
It's the foundation motor racing legend Carroll Shelby used when he built the legendary Cobra with a 427-cubic-inch V-8 engine under the hood of a tiny British roadster in 1964. And it’s the formula Ford is using today to build a powerful, fully developed, production-feasible concept car.
Shorter than a Mazda Miata and weighing just more than 3,000 pounds, the Shelby Cobra concept has a 605-horsepower, all-aluminum V-10 engine mounted at the front of an advanced Ford GT-based aluminum chassis.
There is no roof, no side glass and no radio.
"That's the formula," says Shelby. "It's a massive motor in a tiny, lightweight car."
Loosely based on the 4.6-liter, 32-valve V-8 used in the 2004 Mustang Mach I, the Ford Shelby Cobra concept engine has 10 cylinders and is bored and stroked for a 6.4-liter displacement.
"In many ways, it's not very exotic," says Graham Hoare, director for Ford research and advanced engineering. "It uses the same basic castings and assembly techniques as our production modular engine family. The output, though, is phenomenal."
The Shelby Cobra concept's engine has 10 cylinders and is bored and stroked for a 6.4-liter displacement.
With a front-mounted engine and a rear-mounted transmission, the Shelby Cobra concept has nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution and a surprisingly roomy cockpit. Because the transmission is rear-mounted, there is no large center tunnel between the seats. This allows the driver and passenger to sit relatively close to one another, and there is as much front legroom as in a Crown Victoria. Instruments include a 220-mph speedometer, a 10,000-rpm tachometer and critical temperature and pressure readouts.
When a think tank in Dearborn set to designing and engineering the Shelby Cobra concept, they looked to another recently completed project at Ford for ideas – the Ford GT.
"We were planning to use the Ford GT suspension systems, and we asked ourselves how much more of the Ford GT could we borrow," says Manfred Rumpel, manager, advanced product development.
Quite a lot, they discovered.
Key design details include a predominant grille opening.
The Shelby Cobra team worked closely with John Coletti, head of engineering for Ford's Special Vehicle Team, to maximize commonality with the Ford GT supercar. The bulk rear structure of the Shelby Cobra concept is made from slightly modified Ford GT components, including the massive cast-aluminum suspension nodes, the rear rails and bumper beam, a major cross member and the brackets used to mount the transmission to the car. The center portion of the space frame also has a high level of commonality with the Ford GT, as its major aluminum extrusions are based heavily on existing pieces.
Even though it shares many parts with the Ford GT, the Shelby Cobra concept is more than two feet shorter with a wheelbase that is nearly seven inches shorter. Comparatively small proportions like this gave designers the chance to create a body that is tightly wrapped around its engine and chassis.
"We let the powertrain, the space frame and the suspension dictate the architecture for the body," says Richard Hutting, chief designer. "And the result was a very modern and desirable shape that doesn't share a single dimension or proportion with the original Shelby Cobra."
Inside, the Shelby Cobra concept is trimmed mostly in aluminum, with electric blue splashed on the seat trim and steering column. A full-width aluminum instrument panel spans the cockpit in one unbroken swath.
Key design details include a predominant grille opening, vertical bumper bars, the side air intake, a powerful bulge over each wheel and stacked lamps in the front and rear. Because the engine sits rearward of the front wheels, the concept's front overhang is short. An equally short rear overhang gives the Shelby Cobra concept a short 100-inch wheelbase. These proportions instantly communicate rear-wheel-drive power and serious performance. The stance of the car on the road is unmistakably powerful and sure-footed. More subtle design touches include no windshield wipers, no side windows and no convertible top.
Those wishing fair-weather, fast driving on open roads need only apply.
"When you're setting out to tell a story about an automobile in a fresh, contemporary way, you're not actually looking to create beauty – you're looking to create meaning," says J Mays, Ford Motor Company group vice president, design. "We have interpreted that ass-kicking Cobra attitude in a very modern way."
The Shelby Cobra concept was built in just five months at a relatively low cost by a select group of Ford enthusiasts in Dearborn, Mich. It's a fully developed and engineered racing roadster that represents the best modern racing technology Ford has to offer today. When parked next to the all-new Ford GT supercar and the redesigned 2005 Mustang coupe, the Shelby Cobra concept completes a trilogy of legendary Ford performance vehicles and signals what might be a next step for the blue oval.

DogHouse
01-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Here's a little spam in case anyone is interested... since it's a Cobra maybe it's not too much of a highjack... sorry Craig! ;)
My nephew is selling his Factory Five Cobra. This thing is seriously upgraded over the run of the mill replica. I don't have the complete parts list, but some things that come to mind are IRS, tubular adjustable suspension arms, 17" Halibrand style wheels, 285/315 stickies, Tremec 5 spd, custom hardline and s/s braid plumbing, aluminum radiator, and a no-compromise 408 roller small block with Electromotive EFI and enough hp (550-600) to be stupid fast in a 2200lb car. It has not been to the strip, but as a reference, he ran against a late model GSXR-750 up to 115 or so on the street (oops! :D ) and stayed right on the guy's tail before backing off. Everything on the car is first class and the paint is beautiful as well. Not sure what his asking price is but I do know that there is over 40k in parts alone, and it's barely used. If interested, let me know and I'll send you his contact info.
-brian

likwidsukr
01-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Bropb16
WHO CARES!!!! ITS FORD!!!!!!!!! ITS CRAP!!!!!!! I THOUGHT EVERYONE ALREADY WENT OVER THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D
O yeah you get it too **** you!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :D

BADBLOWN572
01-06-2004, 08:19 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/315CHEVY.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/315FORD.JPG
Oh yeah, I almost fogot...**** Off!!!

DEEZ NUTTS
01-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Saw the Rides show on it. Looks like Shelby just approved it, didnt have much to do with design. Thats what I gathered anyway. At first it reminds me to much of the Audi TT. But it started growing on me as Shelby was doing donuts.

Kilrtoy
01-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Hopefull they get back to it.
As far as the V10 I remember reading that they were scrapping that Idea.
Car looks sweet....

full throttle
01-07-2004, 04:34 AM
I saw the special on the concept cobra also, I'ts awsome. Im sure it will be VERY expensive when and if it goes into production. Unfortunally in todays world the insurance on that car would be out of sight, except for a chosen few.

BADBLOWN572
01-07-2004, 08:33 AM
I watched the show on Ride too and I thought that it looked cool. I do wish that they would have given some #'s on performance, but I also understand that they did not want to wreck the prototype.

Sleek-Jet
01-07-2004, 09:30 AM
What about the new GT-40, the Blue Oval ever commit to making it??

Craig
01-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Yup, they're being built but they will be called the GT, not the GT-40. It is a little longer and taller than the original (40 inch height, hense the name) but the main reason was believe it or not Ford lost the trademark to the name GT-40 to some yahoo years ago and he wanted a mint to give it back :p

01-07-2004, 11:05 AM
WHO CARES!!!! ITS FORD!!!!!!!!! ITS CRAP!!!!!!! I THOUGHT EVERYONE ALREADY WENT OVER THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D And you are a moron but we already went over that too.