PDA

View Full Version : Am I A F***ing Idiot????????

riverby5
03-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Check it out!
I go see a 1998 Ultra Custom LX. Its a berk jet with a 454/340hp motor. The boat is clean except that it is obviously dirty. No big deal I say. I'm no stranger to elbow grease. It has a big scratch in the gel coat(probably from the bimini) on the side of the boat and the valve cover gaskets are just a little bit wet with oil.....It starts on command and everything is functional. The trailer is clean...a little rust from being left outside but clean...The boat has approximately 154 hours....I offer 2k less than what he is asking for the boat. In previous conversations he says its a negotiable price...he shoots back with the original price...I walk
Oh by the way, the NADA lists the boat at my first offer. He says its worth every penny. Am I A F**king Idiot

sanger rat
03-26-2006, 08:09 AM
If the deal didn't feel right to you then no you are not a idiot. Keep looking.

Wet Dream
03-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Nah. You done good. Hopefully you gave him your number just in case he changes his mind.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE]he says its a negotiable price [QUOTE] Some times when sellers say that, it just means they may give a little[not 2,000]. Sometimes a low ball offer just pisses the seller off. It's a game for buyer and seller. But I do know that I hate it when somebody tries to lowball me. Look at it on the brighter side, maybe a nicer boat at a better price will come along and you'll be glad you waited! Everything happens for a reason. Budlight :rollside:

mares98
03-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Check it out!
I go see a 1998 Ultra Custom LX. Its a berk jet with a 454/340hp motor. The boat is clean except that it is obviously dirty. No big deal I say. I'm no stranger to elbow grease. It has a big scratch in the gel coat(probably from the bimini) on the side of the boat and the valve cover gaskets are just a little bit wet with oil.....It starts on command and everything is functional. The trailer is clean...a little rust from being left outside but clean...The boat has approximately 154 hours....I offer 2k less than what he is asking for the boat. In previous conversations he says its a negotiable price...he shoots back with the original price...I walk
Oh by the way, the NADA lists the boat at my first offer. He says its worth every penny. Am I A F**king Idiot
Speaking hypothetically, Lets say seller is asking $25.000 You offer 22.500. No I personally don't think this would be an offensive offer within 10% is usually reasonable. Just my opinion

riverby5
03-26-2006, 09:03 AM
what if the boat is not even in close resemblance of the pics...and i drove 2 hours to see the damn thing that was labeled as immaculate and clean and it was not exactly as described....he was asking 24k.....i came in at 21k...he even conceded that the nada on this boat was 20k....what gives...i just dont want to come off as cocky or arrogant from alow ball offer...i have justifications on why i gave the offer....i just dont show my cards too early.

jbone
03-26-2006, 09:05 AM
If I like the ______ I ussually point out a couple of faults and ask what the lowest he'll let it go for right now.
If they give a good price take it. If not, then give an offer a little lower than you think they will take. That will ussually get a decent counter offer, then take it. Be careful not to go too low or you will insult them.
And sometimes the seller won't budge. If you like it, get it.
Buying a car or boat from someone kinda feels like a challenge. The seller tries to get the most he can and the buyer tries to knock the price down.
If you like the boat, call him back and offer him 1,000 off his price. If he says no, and you really like it, suck up the pride and buy it. If you could pass on it, give him your number in case it doesn't sell.
Good luck,
J

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 09:11 AM
If I like the ______ I ussually point out a couple of faults and ask what the lowest he'll let it go for right now.
If they give a good price take it. If not, then give an offer a little lower than you think they will take. That will ussually get a decent counter offer, then take it. Be careful not to go too low or you will insult them.
Buying a car or boat from someone kinda feels like a challenge. The seller tries to get the most he can and the buyer tries to knock the price down.
If you like the boat, call him back and offer him 1,000 off his price. If he says no, and you really like it, suck up the pride and buy it. If you could pass on it, give him your number in case it doesn't sell.
Good luck,
J
Now that sounds like somebody I'd like to deal with! Not a tirekicker or somebody try to beat you up when your down and got to sell your boat. Budlight

TahitiVC
03-26-2006, 09:13 AM
I went through the same thing when I was looking, although I wasn't going to spend as much. Made a 100 mile trip with the wife and kids to look at this guys boat he says is perfect. Then another 45 miles to the river where he and his kids are going to play. I wan't to take it for a test drive before offering him anything. He stops a the local store and buys a 12 pack and we are off. I test run the boat for about 30 minutes and offer him 4800 for a 5K boat and he gets pissed and drops me off at the dock. I give him my name and number and tell him to call me when he changes his mind over 200 dollars. He never does and ends up posting the boat on craigs list three more times. Don't know if he ever sold it don't really care. The best part is while waiting in the boat for him with his kids they tell me dad really needs to sell the boat to get enough money to finish the remodel on the house. Screw that guy he could keep it for all I care. You did the right thing. Something better will come along it did for me.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Did you at least make sure you helped him kill the 12 pack? I would, unless it was MGD. BL :argue:

jbone
03-26-2006, 09:27 AM
He stops a the local store and buys a 12 pack and we are off. I test run the boat for about 30 minutes and offer him 4800 for a 5K boat and he gets pissed and drops me off at the dock.
At least he bought the twelver.
J

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Quote:
He stops a the local store and buys a 12 pack and we are off. I test run the boat for about 30 minutes and offer him 4800 for a 5K boat and he gets pissed and drops me off at the dock.
Or maybe you drank the whole 12 pack and pissed him off! BL

signmaster
03-26-2006, 10:10 AM
who places an add for exactly what there asking ? I always add a little room for negotiating .

hack job
03-26-2006, 10:15 AM
maybe 25k is what he owes on it? and that would be way he wouldnt take less

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 10:18 AM
maybe 25k is what he owes on it? and that would be way he wouldnt take less
Good point! Most peeps that have a boat financed, are in it upside down. He may not want to admit it. Bl

Squirtcha?
03-26-2006, 01:56 PM
who places an add for exactly what there asking ? I always add a little room for negotiating .
Personally, when I put something up for sale, I ask what I want. I don't play games, and I don't accept less than I know it to be worth. On the other hand, I don't get offended when people offer me less than my asking price. I just stand my ground and tell em "Nope I'm asking what I know it's worth, if you don't think it's worth the price, don't buy it".
I must be pretty close (value-wise) as I have always gotten what I ask. Not always to the first party to view it, or even the second, third, or fourth. But eventually.
I've also been fortunate enough to not be in a desperate position (like Hack mentioned). Never a good thing to be a seller with your back up against a wall.
I agree with the others. Stuff happens for a reason.

1968Droptop
03-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Good luck,
J
I'm with jbone, but be careful not to nit-pick it too much. You'll make it sound like a POS, and that could also piss off the seller. Bottom line, if YOU like it and can live with the price buy it. YOUR the one who'll be enjoying it, and most other peeps won't know what you paid for it (and if they ask...then lie your ass off, how will they ever know..lol). If you get the willies about it for any reason, then RUN far away !!!

Brooski
03-26-2006, 04:53 PM
I usually will ask around 10% higher than I want for it. The counter offer will almost always be what I really want. And a few times, it was bought without a counter, which was better for me. When selling, sticking to your guns for a few hundred dollars isnt worth it if you end up keeping the boat and hassling with it for a few more months.

MudPumper
03-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I like to start by pointing out the good things about what you are trying to buy and then point out all the problems or defects. Go down the whole list of everything you see because there will be no denying the obvious. Then tell him very politely, "I'm not trying to insult you but I'm willing to offer you ???? for it, and I have the cash in my pocket." If he doesn't bite, oh well, the right boat is out there somewhere.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-27-2006, 09:37 AM
do like I did. pull up look at it and drop the coin if you like it. The guy I bought my boat(empty) from wanted $3800. I came back 2 days later and dropped $3800 cash down. I could have tried to get it a little lower but it wasnt worth my time. I just paid the coin. My thing is that, If I like it I will just buy it. If its 10k and higher you bet your sweet ass that Im going to wheel and deal. If they get offended then they have issues. I dont understand why people get worked up with stuf like that. Makes no sense.......

moneysucker
03-27-2006, 10:08 AM
do like I did. pull up look at it and drop the coin if you like it. The guy I bought my boat(empty) from wanted $3800. I came back 2 days later and dropped $3800 cash down. I could have tried to get it a little lower but it wasnt worth my time. I just paid the coin. My thing is that, If I like it I will just buy it. If its 10k and higher you bet your sweet ass that Im going to wheel and deal. If they get offended then they have issues. I dont understand why people get worked up with stuf like that. Makes no sense.......
Certain things I will chisel them down a couple hundred dollars or so but normaly, if I am going to look at it, I am willing to pay what they are asking or I don't really want it. I am known for paying full whack but I just don't like the whole back and forth thing. "Here is what I have." When selling things, I am really good there too. I put it in for what I have in it then usually take a 500 loss on it. I went to the Mouzer sales school. Like everyone said though, Pay what it is worth to you.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Certain things I will chisel them down a couple hundred dollars or so but normaly, if I am going to look at it, I am willing to pay what they are asking or I don't really want it. I am known for paying full whack but I just don't like the whole back and forth thing. "Here is what I have." When selling things, I am really good there too. I put it in for what I have in it then usually take a 500 loss on it. I went to the Mouzer sales school. Like everyone said though, Pay what it is worth to you.
I agree with you on that.........

racincraft440
03-27-2006, 11:58 AM
As a seller I've had buyers play lots of games to knock me down in price. The best one was when a guy came over and brought his teenage son and was going to show the kid how the ole man does it. The guy was obnoxious, he'd fire up the motor 5-6 times in a row to see if the starter would engage, didn't know anything otherwise about the item & kept haggling me down. I eventually told him that the item wasn't for sale anymore and to go look at others like it and get a better feel for the market. Sent him packin'. Still got the item.
When I bought my Rayson Craft, I knew it was too much but it had the right driveline and the hull was very solid/dry. So, I asked him "how low can you go", he countered with "make me an offer". I did, he jumped on it, I instantly thought he would have taken less but I had looked for over a year for just a v-drive, had driven 5 hours to see it and knew it was something I'd like to keep.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-27-2006, 12:08 PM
When my friend bought his eliminator. He had to drive from az to riverside,ca. He was going out there blind. I told him to lay down the $$$$ if he was happy with the boat. When he saw the boat he liked it and he called me and explained it to me.I told him to use his best judgement. The seller wanted 16k for it. He slammed $13,500 in cash on the bow and said lets deal. The guy almost had a heartattack! There was no barginning or going back and fourth. Plain and simple "Money talks and Bullshit walks";););) Thats the way you do business. Its funny becasue he asked the guy on the phone if 16k was his lowest. The guy said yes!!!! In all, he got a clean ass ride and didnt have to bargin for it. He layed down what it was worth to him in cold cash and the guy was happy.

Devilman
03-27-2006, 12:32 PM
It never hurts to ask if it's the "rock-bottom" price or not. Come out with it plain & simple. I saved $2K by asking that question when I bought my boat. I usually won't quibble a whole lot cause as soon as I make a purchase, seems like 5 more of what I'm buying pop up for sale the next day cheaper than what I paid anyway... :cool:
What it boils down to is how much you want/like the item your looking at.

moneysucker
03-27-2006, 01:36 PM
How low will you go over the phone usually is met with an answer of not as low as they would go if you were standing in front of them. They know you will come out and ask them to go lower when you get there. Just the way some people are.

Brooski
03-27-2006, 06:17 PM
How low will you go over the phone usually is met with an answer of not as low as they would go if you were standing in front of them. They know you will come out and ask them to go lower when you get there. Just the way some people are.
Exactly. When I was selling my last boat, it was around $5800 I believe, a guy called and asked if I would take $4000, sight unseen. Never talked to him again, and he never came to look at it.

1968Droptop
03-27-2006, 07:42 PM
He slammed $13,500 in cash on the bow and said lets deal. The guy almost had a heartattack! There was no barginning or going back and fourth. Plain and simple "Money talks and Bullshit walks";););) Thats the way you do business. 396
Right on the money 396. You can talk all you want, but when you flash the cash it gets there attention. I like to pull out the cash and say I've got ____ right here right now. More aften than not the cash waving in front of their face will get you what you want. Lot's of people talk the talk, but you gotta walk the walk, ie show the seller your serious with the green waving in his face. it's really hard to say no when your looking at LOT's of $100 bills.