PDA

View Full Version : Channel Report Release / Wrongful death filed

carbonmarine
01-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Begining of the end is near..... **** that sucks ! ... First the noise laws, now this is coming .... In so far as I am concerned, 2004
is probley the last year we'll have it the way it is, was and the way I'll always remember .... Theres a change in the wind a com'in.....
Rick32
This from the havasu paper today....State official: CO 'obvious' hazard.
By Brian Wedemeyer
A federal health agency has signed off on a state report that identified carbon monoxide exposure in Bridgewater Channel last Memorial Day weekend as a public health hazard.
The Arizona Department of Health Services, which assisted with air quality testing that weekend in Lake Havasu City at the request of Mohave County officials, prepared the report in June.
“Not often in environmental health do you see a health hazard that obvious,” said Will Humble, bureau chief for epidemiology and disease control, in a phone interview Monday with Today’s News-Herald.
The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Control, which helped finance the stateÂ’s investigation, last week certified the report as in accordance with approved practices. The agency is an arm of the U.S. Department of Health Services.
The Channel, which flows beneath the London Bridge, has been the subject of growing concerns about open-air carbon monoxide poisoning from boat exhaust. Hundreds of boaters gather there on busy summer weekends. Carbon monoxide has been linked to at least three drownings at or near the Channel since 2001.
“Something has to be done,” said Humble, who participated in the testing. “There is a serious health hazard on those busy summer weekends.”
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) also participated in some testing over Memorial Day weekend. Of the 77 public safety employees that took breath tests, 54 exceeded federal safety limits.
That same weekend, 31-year-old Mark Tostado of Huntington Beach, Calif. drowned in the Channel. A medical examiner later identified carbon monoxide as a secondary cause of death with alcohol listed as a contributing factor.
The Tostado family has since filed $2 million wrongful death claims against both the city and county, alleging that they did not adequately warn boaters or take corrective action. County Health Director Patti Mead declined comment Monday.
Last April, the city hired Sonoma Technology, Inc., of Petaluma, Calif., to assist with an air quality evaluation in the Channel. A final report initially was expected to arrive in October.
On Monday, city spokesman Charlie Cassens said there is still no word from the consultant.
“We don’t expect we’ll be seeing any conditions that will present a hazard until Memorial Day,” Cassens said. “That should give use time to review the report and the data prior to boating season. But we don’t want to put it off any longer than necessary. We would like to see the report.”
Councilman Don Clark said he wants to see more sense of urgency regarding the report.
“It takes time to pass ordinances and put policies in place,” Clark said. “We need to light a fire under them to get that report back so we can make some decisions.”
You may contact the reporter at bwedemeyer@havasunews.com.

Ntwotrance
01-06-2004, 01:40 PM
so the family is going to sue because warnings weren't in place about the dangers of carbon monoxide (which was the secondary cause of the death)....and are they planning on taking on the alcohol manufacturer (the primary cause) for failing to put adequate warnings on their bottles as well? How about we sue car manufacturers when some drunk driver slams into someone...they didn't put warnings on the side of the car...society has gotten so out of control with people who will sue at the drop of a hat. I feel for the family, but the guy was drunk, had he not been drinking would the results been the same? no, they wouldn't have.

carbonmarine
01-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Either way... The city will cannot tolerate exposure to lawsuits.. frivolous or not.. Any city for that matter ....
Its entrepenureal lawyering at its finest that is truly killing civil liberties in this country .....
Rick32

bigerich
01-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Why is it that when someone dies the first thing the deceased persons family does is look for someone to blame? I am sorry to hear that the guy died, don't get me wrong. But, don't we all have the resposibility to know the dangers that we put ourselves in???? And knowing that danger, be it large or small, are we not all taking calculated risks on a daily basis (we all know people die in car accidents, but we still drive, right?)? And when that risk we took turns out for the worse are we not to blame ourselves(atleast in some way?)??? I get so sick of hearing how people ALWAYS want to blame someone else for the mistakes they have made. Ofcourse, this is a generalization and not true 100% of the time. But the percentage is much too high, and the government will continue to try to "protect us from ourselves" until things change!

youngster
01-06-2004, 01:50 PM
i personaly believe that something should be done about the amount of boats that just sit in the channel and idle around out in the middle of nowhere...just playing music so loud that you cant even think..much less focus on my "drinking and driving" skills!! J/K.......i think that if "LA POLICIA" would focus on keeping the traffic moving (versus handing out fines left &right)...there will not be as much of a problem! now in the time that ive owned my lil red boat...ive ran through the channel "TWICE" and have been rolled "THREE" times :eek!: ,but that is another topic! bottom line is keep the traffic moving and "take out the trash....the house will be cleaner"! bad analogy! todd

Ntwotrance
01-06-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm not saying that CO isn't a problem there, and that it shouldn't be handled. What I'm saying is it was NOT the primary cause of his death. The primary cause was alcohol, thus his own stupidity.

1stepcloser
01-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Not to sound like a commie, but some type of channel "regulation" has been coming for a while now, and we have no one but ourselves to blame. (alright, some will want to blame MTV...)
Years ago, it was easy to find a beach in the channel on a major holiday weekend, largely because all the hard party crowd was in Copper Canyon.
That particular crowd didnt want to hang in the channel, it was too dead, and too much LE.
Couple of injuries, some fighting, and soon the police decide "regulate" the Canyon during the busy holidays.
So, the crowd moves in on the Sandbar, which already has it's own crowd, and figures it's "cool" to stage live sex shows on the houseboats and see how high beercans can be piled. Couple of injuries, some fighting, a murder or two, soon the police decide to "regulate" that area also.
Now where?
Steamboat? yeah for about a year, then the buoys went up there also.
Force everyone into the channel. easier to manage, a more concentrated force can be applied.
Couple injuries, some fighting, couple of deaths, now this report, seems that some type of "regulation" is just the ticket here, guys.....