PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Time Still Sucks

78Eliminator
01-06-2004, 07:47 PM
I am sitting here in total amazement with my luck. The guy who was supposed to buy my boat, decided not to. This is the third deadbeat I have come into contact with. I am so pissed. I took a $500 deposit and held it two weeks. He said the boat plus buying a motor was too much money. Well, I gave him his deposit back. I never got a receipt stating it as "non refundable", so in court I would have to refund it most likely. He was nice enough to tell that if I didn't refund his deposit, he would put a lien on my house. He said he has a contractors license, so he can. Then his son and him walk around my house, writing down all the license plate numbers of all my cars, and neigbors cars....
What a major ass clown. I am so pissed. Then I am walking back into my house anfter I hand him a check for his deposit refund and his son hops out and runs up to me and says "Look, my dad is just trying to help me out. Would you take a little less for it?" I politely said to him that I am so ****ing pissed, it is best him and his father leave and that I would not sell the boat to people like him and his father if he paid me three times what I am asking.

ratso
01-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Shoulda kicked him in the junk.:mad:

78Eliminator
01-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Yeah, that would be funny, but his younger son looked a little embarassed, like he pulls this shit all the time. Either that or it was some good cop, bad cop bullshit. I wasn't born yesterday, but he must have thought so.
He said to me "You are stupid to not give me my deposit back right now!" and I said "So now you're calling me names?" Some people have no class, and what's funny is he lives in a neighborhood 10x better than mine......

Bow Tie Omega
01-06-2004, 07:56 PM
You should have told the **** to get off of your property before you had him arrested for harrasment and trespassing

mike37
01-06-2004, 07:58 PM
lien your house he cant do that he would have had to do work on your hom to lien it or get a cort order and that would invove suing you

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-06-2004, 08:11 PM
mike 37 is right.. he would have had to work on your house before the lein.. it might have been better off you did give him his money though.. only because people like that you never know what they will do to your property that you have worked for.. props for holding your own but also being the stand up guy for giving the puss his money back.. i know your pissed but you did the right thing.. sorry alittle to much to drink just speaking from that side of me.. sorry for the long post.. your a stand up man.. and i like that.. :D :D

Brodie
01-06-2004, 08:13 PM
its "lien" you terds,,,,,

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-06-2004, 08:14 PM
well DANG THANKS BRODIE.. :D :D

Fiat48
01-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Actually you got lucky. The guy an asshole no doubt. But further problems would have developed had he bought the boat. Like to hear a better one? How about the guy I built a blown small block chevy for and it broke the axles in the rear end of his car. He already had an attorney.
As is, where is, no warranty expressed or implied, no deposits, cash only.

LASERRAY
01-06-2004, 08:20 PM
I get pissed when I hear about people such as this jerkoff. It reminds me of when I used to do HVAC work for Contractors, crooked Realtors, con artists, and rich pricks that got rich by screwing hard working tradesmen like myself etc. It's like, how can these people act like this and still function in society. Not to mention teaching his child his deceitful practices!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dr. Eagle
01-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
. The guy who was supposed to buy my boat, decided not to. This is the third deadbeat I have come into contact with.
I feel your pain. I sold my Eliminator offshore boat this summer and it was new enough to still be a big ticket item. I had four people totally flake on my, one guy after telling me he would get a cashiers check and get it to me the following day.
Thank goodness the guy the finally bought the boat wanted that specific hull and there just aren't very many even out of the mold. there is hope....:rolleyes:

CAHotRodBoy
01-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Go to this web site:
http://www.cslb.ca.gov/consumers/default.asp
and file a complaint against him. If he is a contractor with a license he should be listed. Two can play those games.

ratso
01-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey 78, it wasn't a Bayliner was it? I hear a lot of those people are like that.:D :p :D

Bow Tie Omega
01-06-2004, 08:29 PM
I would think that action would be listed as some type of abuse of his license. Call the Better Business Bureau. Also try the State Contractors Board

Jordy
01-06-2004, 08:33 PM
That sucks J. It's one of those deals that whether or not he could actually file a lien, it wouldn't be worth the $500 you'd spend to deal with sorting out the bullshit. I would have kicked him and his son in da junk just for the satisfaction. :D

mirvin
01-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Brodie
its "lien" you terds,,,,,
Dang Brodie, where ya been?
Sorry about that bs 78. That sucks. Isn't the point of the deposit that you agree to hold the boat for him and if he backs out he doesn't get the deposit back because while you were holding the boat you were turning prospective buyers down?
That punk will get ancy and call you back and offer what you agreed or he won't, either way. When he calls you back tell him you've raised the price and if he wants it he can come down with cash or a cashiers check because there's someone out looking at it right now!
Good luck.
Your pal,
Mirv:cool:

j-rod
01-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by CAHotRodBoy
Go to this web site:
http://www.cslb.ca.gov/consumers/default.asp
and file a complaint against him. If he is a contractor with a license he should be listed. Two can play those games. ya should a kept the 500 just cuz he pulled out !!

78Eliminator
01-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Well, to be honest, I am glad that the deal didn't happen. Heaven forbid any one get hurt in the boat or he destroys it somehow, I am sure I would hear about it.
As a matter of fact, he is a contractor and offered to do work on my kitchen remodel as part of the sale. He was a bit pushy and my inner "bullshit bell" was ringing, so I told him I would rather not and just keep the boat a seperate deal. Besides, I know how to use a hammer and kitchen remodeling is not rocket science.
So, today in kind of a weird way, I almost expected this. As I grow older, I am starting to listen to myself and am getting better and better and telling a decent man from a bad one.

mirvin
01-06-2004, 08:58 PM
What the **** was that shit 78. Are you feeling well? Don't get all prophetic on us. Dang;)

Rexone
01-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Be very leary of "cashiers checks" and "bank certified checks". They are relatively easy to forge these days. We've been burned a couple times. Green cash works pretty well or have the party wire the money directly into your account.
Sorry your deal didn't work out 78E. :(
Any time you accept a deposit give the person a receipt stating very plainly the deposit isn't refundable. Have them sign it that they understand it and make sure to include a drop dead date to complete the deal or forfeit the deposit. Then there's no question. That will separate the serious buyers from the jackers.
After all that is what a deposit is for (to hold something so no one else can buy it). To take one then have to give it back is just foolish. Why take it in the first place if that's the case?

78Eliminator
01-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Yeah, lesson learned. I am just kind of melancholy right now. When I meet people like that, it really gets me down.....
I'll live though. For every bad one, I meet a bunch of good ones.

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-06-2004, 09:09 PM
is that why your here.. for the good people that is.. :D

youngster
01-06-2004, 09:22 PM
its getting to be very difficult to weed out the bad to find the good!
"Its a shame you cant smell the sweet smell of a rose garden, over the smell of this shithole"
TRG

MagicMtnDan
01-06-2004, 11:49 PM
A word to the wise - ask whomever you're selling anything to what they do for a living before you sell to them. If they say they're a lawyer, DO NOT SELL TO THEM!
You have the right not to sell and you will be thankful. There's nothing like selling something to a lawyer and watching him take you to court - it only costs him his time and it'll cost you everything and then some to defend yourself.
If you're a contractor do yourself a favor and do not get involved in having lawyers as customers. Trust me - I've seen what they can do (want to provide services like plumbing, electrical, cabinetry, etc., to a lawyer? Watch them take you to court, get their money back and have them keep what you sold them plus cost you legal fees? It can happen).

Windy
01-07-2004, 12:02 AM
I hope you find a good home soon for your boat Justin...Keep tryen.

TOBTEK
01-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by mike37
lien your house he cant do that he would have had to do work on your hom to lien it or get a cort order and that would invove suing you
believe it or not this ISN'T true. I had a jackoff landscaping company put a lien on our new home a few years ago. ANYONE and I repeat can put a lien on your home. This company came out and gave us a free in home consultation and drew up color plans to do our yard. Mind you he stated there wasnt ANY fee required if we didn't use there company. We gave them our drawlings of what we had in mind, they embellished them,,,,BUT it was pretty much exactly what I had sketched out. After the bid came back at an alarming figure, we had someone else do it( for a third of the price). He stated we stole his plans and put a lien for 2500.00 for copyright enfrigment. Had to hire a realestate lawer to get it removed. After he went back and forth we the lawer, he still wanted to setle for something like 500.00......he got nothing! Was a major waste of time on my part. And cost me something like 400.00 for the lawers letters:mad: In the process I learned from the BBB that this was a common practice for this company.

Dr. Eagle
01-07-2004, 05:57 AM
I believe that CA hot rod boy has a very good point. Threatening you with a lien against your property, when he has not done work on your property is what amounts to a "fraudulent lien" and could be easily contested and removed from your title. Obviously, for 500 bucks the hassle factor alone makes it not worth going down that road.
Regardless this was an infraction of the highest order of the California business and professions code because he was in essence using the lien threat to harrass you over a deal that was not related to anything where the lien laws could possibly apply. You would be doing others a service by filing a complaint, as it could result in his licence being suspended or other disciplinary action may be taken against him. Maybe he'd think twice about pulling that crap on someone else...:mad:

MagicMtnDan
01-07-2004, 05:59 AM
No matter how badly it went for you try to remember one thing, it could've been worse. Dickheads like that are so not worth your time and trouble and they could've found a way to really make this a terrible experience (like giving you a forged check while taking and damaging your boat which you'd still be lucky to get back after the bad check thing).
Good luck selling it to someone who appreciates it. And everyone who is or will sell their boat should learn from your experience. There are a lot of losers out there.:mad:

HavasuDreamin'
01-07-2004, 06:08 AM
The spring and summer months are just around the corner. Your boat is very desireable amongst the high performance crowd and will sell if you are patient. Put it in the local Boat Trader in the spring and it will sell. Good Luck. :)

Blown 472
01-07-2004, 06:13 AM
Shoulda given him the meat hook enema. ****er.

Bow Tie Omega
01-07-2004, 06:17 AM
78ELiminator, have you considered ebay? I was helping a friend at work sell his pristine 96 Ultra 19 ft jet. COuld not sell it here ,in boat trader or barneys. A $14,000 boat he was willing to let go of for $10,000. Anyways, we put it on ebay ($42.00 cost) as a last resort, sold it for $12,000, the guy who bought it said he did his homework and would have paid $14,000 for it. BUt owner and seller were happy in the end. It now resides in Washington State.

Jordy
01-07-2004, 06:32 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think J had it on there a couple times and the buyers were deadbeats both times...

78Eliminator
01-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I give up. I guess I am keeping it. Three boats now.

Chase
01-07-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by mike37
I was just going to say the same thing.....

superdave013
01-07-2004, 09:50 AM
I've sold tons to cars, truck and boats over the years. This is how I do it:
I do not take a deposit of any kind. Pretty simple, if you want it, buy it. First one with the money gets it.
If the check you brought me is good then that's just great. You should have no problem cashing it so you can pay me in cash.
I did sell one item that was for a pretty large amount. The guy didn't want to have that much cash so I did make the exeption to the rule. I asked him what bank he used. We went to the branch by my house together and I trusted that cashers check.

HOSS
01-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
I am sitting here in total amazement with my luck. The guy who was supposed to buy my boat, decided not to. This is the third deadbeat I have come into contact with. I am so pissed. I took a $500 deposit and held it two weeks. He said the boat plus buying a motor was too much money. Well, I gave him his deposit back. I never got a receipt stating it as "non refundable", so in court I would have to refund it most likely. He was nice enough to tell that if I didn't refund his deposit, he would put a lien on my house. He said he has a contractors license, so he can. Then his son and him walk around my house, writing down all the license plate numbers of all my cars, and neigbors cars....
What a major ass clown. I am so pissed. Then I am walking back into my house anfter I hand him a check for his deposit refund and his son hops out and runs up to me and says "Look, my dad is just trying to help me out. Would you take a little less for it?" I politely said to him that I am so ****ing pissed, it is best him and his father leave and that I would not sell the boat to people like him and his father if he paid me three times what I am asking.
That letter right there is enough to make me fall off the wagon. Being on the wagon you are more relaxed. Relaxation sucks! I wanna kick his and his sons ass at the same time so as not to have any excuses for me beating their asses.

78Eliminator
01-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks Hoss.
BTW: Are you "on the wagon" or did you quit for good? "On the wagon" is something you get on in preparation to fall off. What are your plans?

HOSS
01-07-2004, 10:21 AM
For good!
Its so early(4 weeks last Saturday) that I still can`t really see life without beer ever again. Really. I like beer. Never really got into hard alcohol and dope was never my gig. Just beer. problem is 1`s too many and a hundred ain`t enough.
I am now 36 don`t wanna go back into marine industry on a large scale contract level, don`t wanna go back to any dealerships, would love to do my own thing(shop), but for now am finishing school. Radiology. I`m leaving in a minute to go to the hospital to see if I can sign up for volunteer hours in X-Ray. I need 20 hours for school but would like to do much more. Like at least 100. If anyone is looking for an investment just email me. I need investors. All ideas welcome. Louisiana only.

superdave013
01-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Hoss, I'm sure you're much better off on the wagon then off it. But man, back in the day those drunken jross posts were funny as hell. lol

HOSS
01-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah, that was a long time ago now. I`m getting old on ***boat! Damn.

78Eliminator
01-07-2004, 10:38 AM
True dat! Any ass hole can get wasted. It takes true balls to resist. It's easier to better yourself and concentrate on goals when you aren't boozing it up too. Also terrible on relationships. I have always respected the guys at parties and bars that didn't drink. Heck, I have been one myself. Keep up the good work!
Remember: "Temptation resisted is a TRUE measure of character"

Screaming Pete
01-07-2004, 10:42 AM
78 what did you do with the motor from your daytona?

78Eliminator
01-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Sold it....actually traded it for a bowtie block and some parts.....

Screaming Pete
01-07-2004, 10:56 AM
I was thinking of building a kit car Cobra that would have been PUUURRRRfict

Seadog
01-07-2004, 11:06 AM
I don't do deposits anyway, but when someone threatens me, I just ask them "did you know that my wife works for the IRS?" Amazing how many people shut up then. A good thing they don't call my bluff.

Brodie
01-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Dang Brodie, where ya been?
Your pal,
Mirv:cool:
hey there chief, I'm just chillen like a villen.
you know playa,,,

Brodie
01-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
is that why your here.. for the good people that is.. :D
dang. i like you there little woman. very pertty