PDA

View Full Version : Put'n on a little weight

al cole'holic
07-18-2001, 01:25 PM
Hello All- I have a 28' Cole that came with one group 24 battery. The ride was great, out of the hole was actually good and the speed was ok with me. But...I have just finished with the stereo and ended up with 6, yes six group 29 batteries that weigh 65 pounds a piece. Of course, the almost 400 pounds are to say the least noticeable. I am running the Merc 502 EFI with a Bravo and a 22 pitch prop. Now of course I am looking to get the power I once had back, and to lighten some of the weight elsewhere. My first thought is the stock manifolds...Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
07-18-2001, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by al cole'holic:
I have just finished with the stereo and ended up with 6, yes six group 29 batteries that weigh 65 pounds a piece...
Six 29 batteries??? Man, that's alot of lead. How much stereo do you have? How many alternators? I know of some competition systems that run 4,000 watts with two Optima yellow tops and one 150 amp alternator. What's your RMS power total?
I saved about a hundred pounds by switching to aluminum heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds on my mouse motor.
http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif
[This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited July 18, 2001).]

al cole'holic
07-18-2001, 02:11 PM
HaHa..Whats up "Havi" I am pushing over 3000 watts and 9 speakers, but that is not the only thing I was after. I want to visit your bridge and let all of you listen and feel my system for as long as you will be there for! This set up will last over the weekend at a pounding volume while beached at London Bridge, no worries. I was told that changing the manifolds would free about 80 pounds alone, I don't know how true that is...thanx!! By the way how is the alternator, stock?? I am just about to have mine rewound to a 170 amp..good or bad??

Havasu Hangin'
07-18-2001, 02:38 PM
I am pushing over 3000 watts and 9 speakers,...This set up will last over the weekend at a pounding volume while beached at London Bridge, no worries.
Man, that's alot of batteries for one alternator. 170 is nice- be sure it's a marine unit. However, that poor alternator will still be overworked, as each added battery is more load. You might want to consider two alternators for six batteries.
I have around 2,300 watts RMS (2-12s) in my boat, and I'm only running three group 24 batteries (two for the stereo), with an isolator. I usually don't kill them, but I also throw a charger on overnight if they get low.
I know it's probably too late, but three yellow tops (quality vs quantity) would go a long way with that system. Maybe a portable generator or a long extension cord to your hotel room? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy06.gif
I was told that changing the manifolds would free about 80 pounds alone, I don't know how true that is.
Yep, those manifolds are very heavy. However, the aluminum (EMI Thunder, etc.) are expensive. You probably could shave a couple hundred pounds in heads and manifolds, but you're lookin' at a few grand. Cheaper to go with 3 $160 Optima yellow tops, the 170 amp alternator, and start the engine once in awhile to charge 'em up?
http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif

boatnam2
07-18-2001, 03:14 PM
al, its all about how you rig the boat.average guy is about 220#'s and a havasu hottie about 110#'s.you do the math

rivercrazy
07-18-2001, 03:36 PM
Wow. Thats some serious stereo power. I'm only running about 500 RMS watts and its seriously loud.
Weight wise wouldn't it be neat if someone came up with freeze dried beer? Hey just add water. That would save most of us serious poundage. Either that or be more selective on the girls you choose to take with you at the docks. haha
Seriously though, you might consider reducing the number of batteries. Test it with less. You will probably find your system doesn't need that many. I doubt you run you stereo at more than 50% output anyway.

rivercrazy
07-18-2001, 03:43 PM
I could be wrong here but I though I read somewhere that every time you double the AMP watts in a stereo, you only gain a few decibles of sound. Is this right?

al cole'holic
07-18-2001, 09:15 PM
When I first had the system completed I used four group 27 batteries. This was good for about 4-6 hours of serious thumping with the boat sitting on a beach. Not too bad, until the power got so low that the amps tried to compensate for the loss of volts by pushing out twice as much power in turn getting so hot the solder from every board came off inside the amp housings. After working with Precision Power and getting Interstate battery company involved, all parties agreed on the resulting switch. Check the stats, the yellow tops do not compare to the power of the Interstate 29's. The have twice as much reserve than any other battery, even the huge diesel ones (and we did consider it). I also forgot to mention that I have every one isolated at my fingertips, nice added touch! I control which ones are used, or getting charged etc..usually only 2 at a time at the most which is alternator friendly. Just in case you may be interested in the info, water does ripple around the hull...hahahaha...rivercrazy...freeze dried beer...love that one! As far as the 'havasu hotties' you need to subtract the weight of the clothing that comes off when they feel this system...c ya

25 Outlaw 502
07-19-2001, 05:27 AM
hull...hahahaha...rivercrazy...freeze dried beer...love that one! As far as the 'havasu hotties' you need to subtract the weight of the clothing that comes off when they feel this system...c ya
I live in Florida and was wondering where that bass from the west was coming from. Keep rockin' and by the way freeze dried beer tastes like sh_t when mixed with salt water.

Havasu Hangin'
07-19-2001, 07:30 AM
Yeah, Optimas are only good for around 65 amp-hours apiece. You're right on when the amps starve for power, they get hot- I thought those PPI amps went into thermal shutdown? I put cooling fans on mine, as the Havasu heat wears on those amps. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/scared02.gif
You probably added some significant weight in magnets and amps, as well? Anyway, you could make the manifold switches and save some weight. Could you go with a smaller fuel tank, since you're just going from the ramp to the channel? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy07.gif
I think a portable generator weighs less than 400 pounds? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy34.gif

rivercrazy
07-19-2001, 09:26 AM
My boat is still running strong on its original 2 batteries. Bought it in 1998 and put 290 hours on it so far.
I know one of the batteries is starting to struggle a bit. It takes a lot longer to recharge than the other. As a result, I'll probably change both at the same time soon.
What specific batteries do you gent's recommend? I'm happy with what I've got, but there is always something better. I like to thump the stereo at 35-40% volume for timeframes averaging 2-4 hours.

skijake
07-19-2001, 09:31 AM
ever think that not everyone in the channel wants to listen t http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/cool13.gif o the samething you are listening to??
A good sound system to have clean sound is nice but it gets bad when your relaxing in the channel listening to some good sounding engines idling by then someone pulling in on one side of you or across the channel and thinks that they need to impress the people at the far end of the channel with thier music and better yet when someone else trys to turn up their system louder to see who can make the most noise.
I'm not saying this is what you guys do but as you know it happens all the time
Just my two cents

rivercrazy
07-19-2001, 09:39 AM
I usually reserve high volumes for private paries in a secluded cove (with a few babes of course). It just depends on the circumstances/conditions that day.
Sometimes others appreciate your stereo more than you do. Just use your power appropriately!

Havasu Hangin'
07-19-2001, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy:
I like to thump the stereo at 35-40% volume for timeframes averaging 2-4 hours.
How many watts? Which amp(s) ya got?
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/cool08.gif

rivercrazy
07-19-2001, 10:11 AM
4 Infinity 3 way 6X9's driven by a JBL P80.4 (40 rms per channel). Will probably upgrade to one more P80.4 so I can bridge to 160 RMS to each channel.
1 Infiniti Kappa Perfect 10" sub driven by a JBL P600.1 (300 watts). Will probably add another 10"er someday. Then the amp will put out its full 600 watts.
Total now 460 watts.

al cole'holic
07-19-2001, 10:23 AM
what's up 'Outlaw', out here in Southern Cali my work is done by audioconceptsandmore.com..
'Havi' I am using 3 fan set ups and drive with a panel removed which works well to keep em cooler..generator..no chance, it's nice to run 65mph and still hear every sound spectrum of any CD I have in the changer without one single skip..Hey 'rivercrazy' I would totally recommend any Interstate battery..group 27 even, you will find the reserve power with the 50 month warranty (unlike the year with Optimas) make it well worth it! And, I am very responsible with my boat when it comes to being considerate to everyone, thats what it's all about!! You make more friends that way..

al cole'holic
07-19-2001, 10:25 AM
what's up 'Outlaw', out here in Southern Cali my work is done by audioconceptsandmore.com..
'Havi' I am using 3 fan set ups and drive with a panel removed which works well to keep em cooler..generator..no chance, it's nice to run 65mph and still hear every sound spectrum of any CD I have in the changer without one single skip..Hey 'rivercrazy' I would totally recommend any Interstate battery..group 27 even, you will find the reserve power with the 50 month warranty (unlike the year with Optimas) make it well worth it! And, I am very responsible with my boat when it comes to being considerate to everyone, thats what it's all about!! You make more friends that way..

rivercrazy
07-19-2001, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info on the interstate 27's. Sounds like they are almost as good as the neighborhood Nuclear Reactor!

al cole'holic
07-19-2001, 10:45 AM
No problem 'river'..they are an excellent choice, I did extensive research with their techs and the techs from PPI on the whole setup. Brainstormed the hell out of em..

Havasu Hangin'
07-19-2001, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy:
I could be wrong here but I though I read somewhere that every time you double the AMP watts in a stereo, you only gain a few decibles of sound.
Yeah, it's like a 3db increase, depending on cone surface and wattage. However, sometimes more watts = cleaner sound (less distortion) at lower levels. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy04.gif
Sorry, I forgot your setup from the other thread.
Watts = volts x amps
battery: 11 volts/65 amps/hours
watts = 11 x 65 = 715 watts/hour
I used 11 volts as an average, as the battery will start with a 12.2 volt charge, and drain to a 10 volt charge. If you're drawing about 300 watts per hour, then a couple 65 amp/hour batteries would last around 4 hours, without having to start the engine for a charge. These are generalizations, not taking into account the ESR of the batteries.
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy30.gif

rivercrazy
07-19-2001, 01:33 PM
I should have thought of this relative to the formula's. Thanks for the free education.
I had a chance to look up watts versus db. Your right on doubling the power output will increase sound only by 3db. The other thing I found was its all relative to the sensitivity of the speakers. The higher the sensitivity, the less power it takes to increase db.
I agree with the power. Its like anything else. The more the better! Sound will always be cleaner and less distored with more POWER!

Artimus
07-20-2001, 12:09 PM
Hey rivercrazy,
Where can I find a "Nuclear Reactor" brand battery? I think Holley has the same battery available but I can't find a distributor for either. The closest thing to a price I got was $400.00 Canadian. These look like great batteries (power to weight ratio works for everything) but that price seems high. Any links would be great... I going to check out the Interstate batteries as well http://www.plauder-smilies.de/party/dazzler1.gif
BTW, The power calculations are right on the money but you have to keep in mind that these results are based on an "average" power consumption. An 800 watt rms amplifier is not always putting out 800 watts - it could be more on peaks but the average is much less unless you are listening to 'sine wave'-which would still require less input power than 'white noise' (I have never seen any bikini boppin' to either of these)

al cole'holic
07-20-2001, 01:54 PM
hey 'Artimus', you can get the Interstate battery (the ones I talk about if you scroll up) for $69 Group 24, $79 for the 27's, or $89 for the 29's. I highly recommend the group 29...killer battery..just thought I'd let you know.

MaddMan
07-24-2001, 08:31 AM
Al,
Just my two cents worth, but back when multiple batteries was the norm in competition systems, we would save our alternators by charging the batteries with a strong shop charger.(with the batteries disconnected, of course) You can build the highest output alt that you want, but it will still live a lot shorter life having to work so hard. You will probably find that it's real easy to just hook the charger up and let it do it's work while you are out of the water...no wasted water time! Maybe I should move my shop to Arizona, you guys spend some big bucks on your stereos! LOL
Glad to see all the interest in stereos, you guys keep it up...no pun intended!
MaddMan Dave

al cole'holic
07-24-2001, 02:23 PM
Basic knowledge Maddman...my boat is always on a charger. But, however, when you are drawing an upwards of 170 Amps there is no such thing as 'saving your alternator'. A 175-200 Amp alternator will in fact charge even at peak draw. And by the way, a sound like this would only come from CALI...sorry AZ but were hittin' on the west..no hard feelings...haha

MaddMan
07-26-2001, 03:20 PM
Al,
I think you missed my point...the multiple batteries are strictly for system operation without the alternator running...my suggestion is not to ever charge the batteries with the boats alternator, thus saving the alternator.You've got enough reserve to last all day, so why not isolate them from your boats electrical system...just a thought. BTW, I remember when the Cali guys were in contant debate about CAR stereos...glad to see it moved to BOATS!! LOL! Competition is good!! Plus, its a lot more impressive to see water rippling instead of guys acting like they are holding in the car windows!!! LOL!!! 12v electronics has come a long way, and I'm glad to see the interest in boats, too. Now if we can figure out a way to make the meter read right in these open cockpits, we'll be in business!! LOL!
Later times...
Dave