PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biker killed by mountain Lion

LeE ss13
01-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Just heard this on the news. Happened in Orange County CA. SuperDave are you OK ????

396_Z
01-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Does he taste like chicken?

Her454
01-08-2004, 07:32 PM
LMAO................god I hope he's ok.. I'd sure feel guilty for laughing so hard......:D :D

78Eliminator
01-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Here is the sad thing, and this happens EVERY time someone is killed. They are going to assemble a team and kill the cat. Such bullshit. You are in THEIR territory. This sucks, and I don't give a shit about the biker. Humans are a dime a dozen.

MikeF
01-08-2004, 07:48 PM
I kinda view it the same way 78. It was the timing of the incident that was in the cat's favor. The guy was just in the wrong place @ the wrong time.
And no, Deb has not called me yet to say that it was Dave. :eek: :p

Itsahobby
01-08-2004, 07:50 PM
So, I can assume you have never been hunted before?:p
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Here is the sad thing, and this happens EVERY time someone is killed. They are going to assemble a team and kill the cat. Such bullshit. You are in THEIR territory. This sucks, and I don't give a shit about the biker. Humans are a dime a dozen.

1st Timer
01-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Sure have! Butt only buy two legged creatures!!

Tab
01-08-2004, 08:07 PM
78, What's the difference between a cat that develops a taste for human blood and a human that develops a taste for human blood?

78Eliminator
01-08-2004, 08:20 PM
We are talking about an ANIMAL here. They run on instinct, not emotion. They are wild. And they kill for survival and protection of their young. Humans are the only species that kill for psychological motive.

78Eliminator
01-08-2004, 08:23 PM
And one more thing. If you were a wild animal and just about every experience associated with a human was violent, wouldn't YOU develop a taste for blood? It's like we hunt them, and they are scared shitless of us and when they bite back we wave the flag and call them a HUMAN KILLER with a TASTE FOR BLOOD. Give me a break. I don't buy it. Leave them the hell alone.

396_Z
01-08-2004, 08:50 PM
If your going to kill it ya better eat it.
eh, I like my mountain lion well done please.

Tab
01-08-2004, 08:54 PM
78, So when your kid is taken down by the cat while riding in the foothills by your house in Havasu or Irvine you'll be fine with that?

Tab
01-08-2004, 09:01 PM
78, So when your kid is taken down by the cat while riding in the foothills by your house in Havasu or Irvine you'll be fine with that?

78Eliminator
01-08-2004, 09:06 PM
I would be very sad, but I would not want the cat killed.
I understand where you are coming from, but with your mentality, you would also want to ban v-drives if your son got killed in one. I mean, v-drives are dangerous, so they must be stopped, right?
Dangerous animals are just a risk you have to understand when you go out on a ride or hike in the back hills. Now, if this fella killed the cat while it was trying to kill him, that is different. But the man is dead, and nothing will bring him back.
I really do not understand why they must be slaughtered. Lots of wild cats are already going extinct. You might live to see the extinction of the cheetah! We have to be careful, and not involve human emotion with the law of the wild.

Tab
01-08-2004, 09:29 PM
78, I respect the extinct cat, etc. thing. The difference between v-drives killing humans and cats killing humans is, the cat hunted the human. V-drives don't hunt.(with most of us at the wheel, anyway). I don't believe that cats or any other killing species should generally be hunted but, if a PARTICULAR cat, human, bear, etc. is known to become a killer, then that particular entity needs to be relieved of its ability to kill(the next 1, 3, 5, .....mountain bikers, hikers, children playing in the field next to their rural home, etc.).

78Eliminator
01-08-2004, 09:31 PM
This was, I believe in not rural. It was on a wildlife preserve.

Tab
01-08-2004, 09:52 PM
78, In SoCal that's as close as it gets..... It's clear by now how I feel. This particular animal killed a person(father to children, husband to a wife, son of loving parents,etc). It has resisted the temptation to kill humans before. It no longer resists that temptation(it succeeded once today and tried but failed in another attempt). It has determined that humans are now targets. We(humans) must now protect ourselves and our fellow humans.... I don't care if they kill it or not........maybe a "life sentance" in lion jail is better,.....maybe declaw and detooth him and turn him loose is better....Simply he needs to be restrained from killing again.....Because he will. We need to put him away not so much because of what he did but because of what he will surely do again.

Rexone
01-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Once lions have killed humans its pretty accepted theory that they will kill again. Mountain lions in Ca are nowhere near endangered today since the hunting ban was instituted about a decade ago. Last I read there were in excess of 5-6000 cats in CA. One human killer less is not going to disturb the eco balance of mountain lions. My .02.
I'm a mountain biker too. And I've met a mountain lion face to face at 15 ft. Gets the ol adrenaline going in a hurry. That cat didn't attack and no reason to harm him (although we had a pretty good standoff). Had he attacked then yes he should be eliminated regardless of whether I'd survived or not.
And I fish too. :D

Tab
01-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Rexone, I agree.

1st Timer
01-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Does this apply to Scott Peterson to?

Tab
01-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Rexone, I agree.

Rexone
01-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Tab
Rexone, I agree.
Ok I got it... :D

Tab
01-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Well allrighty then. Well allrighty then. Well allrighty then. Well....how the hell do you stop this thing??????:D :D

wsuwrhr
01-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Damn, I am so full of stories lately, I went up to the "Bridge to Nowhere" on a weekday, ended up coming back when it was getting dark, and starting to rain. A lot of movement up there at night. No guns with us on that run.
Had something following us on the way down, stayed above us most of the way. We had rocks falling down behind us when were hiking back. Might have been a bighorn, who knows, but I can tell you I didn't want to be a snack for something.
One of the few times I had the shit scared out of me. NOW THAT IS FEAR FACTOR.
I like being on top of the foodchain.
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by LeE ss13
Just heard this on the news. Happened in Orange County CA. SuperDave are you OK ????
He posted around 2 today. I just got home, so it may be too late to call him. I hope he didn't go riding today.
Brian

Rexone
01-08-2004, 11:11 PM
The man they found dead has been dead for a few days. The woman was attacked today. At least that's the way I heard the report. So my guess is SD is ok. He's crazy anyway, the lion probably wouldn't ever follow him down the crap he rides on.

wsuwrhr
01-08-2004, 11:13 PM
ok then
So we are talking about two people now?
I guess the animals are trying to send a message, GO HOME.
Brian

Rexone
01-08-2004, 11:16 PM
From CNN...
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- California authorities have shot and killed a mountain lion that attacked two female mountain bikers Thursday afternoon in the Foothill Ranch region of Orange County, California, leaving one woman in critical condition and another badly shaken.
The body of another apparent attack victim was discovered as authorities searched for the mountain lion.
The bikers were attacked while riding trails in an area adjacent to the Cleveland National Forest. One of the women, Debbie Nichols, described to reporters at the scene how the mountain lion dragged her companion 100 yards into the brush while she held on and screamed for help.
"This guy would not let go," she said. "He had hold of her face."
Nils Magmuson said he heard screams from the two women and that it "sounded like they were in agony." When he got to the scene, he said, the mountain lion had the woman by her head and Nichols was holding onto her friend by her legs, preventing the big cat from dragging her further into the brush.
"The mountain lion had her face in his mouth and would not let her go," he said. "I was in shock."
He and other bikers in the vicinity began throwing rocks in an attempt to scare off the lion. A man who was at the scene shortly after the attack said he frequents the trails in the area and has often seen mountain lions but described this one as being "out for blood."
Personnel from the Orange County Sheriff's Department killed the mountain lion Thursday evening.
"The mountain lion was shot 10 feet from the first attack," according to Capt. Stephen Miller of the Orange County Fire Authority, who said the animal was hiding in the brush. He described it as a young male mountain lion -- one to two years old -- weighing about 110 pounds.
The Department of Fish and Game will conduct tests to determine if the animal killed was the mountain lion that attacked the bikers, Miller said, noting that attacks of this type are unusual.
Authorities said the body of another person who "appeared to be" the victim of a mountain lion attack was found during the search and rescue for Thursday's victims. An official at the scene said that victim had been in the wilderness for an undetermined period of time.
Testing will also be done on the corpse to determine if it was killed by the same lion.

wsuwrhr
01-08-2004, 11:18 PM
An angry mother****er no less. Hell bent to dessimate mountain intruders.
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Noone must have missed the other guy found in the forest for an undetermined amount of time? WTF is that, sounds to me like he has been there long enough to be "undetermined"
Brian

Rexone
01-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
An angry mother****er no less. Hell bent to dessimate mountain intruders.
Brian
Yes sounds like he was at the very least, inhospitible. The fact he played tuggle war with the chick is a bit disturbing. Not saying this is the case here, but mountain lions are very territorial and being a young male he may have been forced out of traditional mountain territories by other lions and forced to search for food in the suburbs and lowlands frequented by people. This is common throughout the state as the lion population grows.
Another unfortunate result of urban expansion by humans coupled with inadequate game management under the no hunt rules that prevent lion population control. Depends on which side of the coin you wish to view that problem from I guess.
Or, maybe just a rouge lion who found humans easy targets and figured what the hell, this is fun shit.

LeE ss13
01-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Just got a PM from SD ..... He's OK, but says he does ride in that area and has seen the ML tracks. Yikes !!!

superdave013
01-09-2004, 08:01 AM
I ain't skeerd of no cat!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1503anderson_dh-med.jpg

superdave013
01-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Ok, about the area where this happened.
I do ride there from time to time. It's a fun 7 mile loop that's splits some housing tracts. It's one of those places that I ride alone most of the time too.
The back side of it is right up against the Cleveland National forest. This park is an Orange County park and it's super busy with bikers and hikers. To damn busy, that's one of the reasons I don't go there that much.
One thing that has to attact the lions are all the deer. It seems that every time I go there I see 5 or 6 deer there.
That cat must have been hella hungry to attack adults. Most of the time they are eying the little kids.

WILDERTHANU
01-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
I ain't skeerd of no cat!
LOL.......I HEAR THAT. LIVING IN THE FOOTHILLS I'VE BEEN WARNED OF THOSE ****ERS MY WHOLE LIFE......I'VE EVEN HIT A BEAR WITH MY TRUCK!! I DONT THINK I WOULD TASTE GOOD TO 'EM ANYWAYS. IM TAKING THE DH MACHINE OUT THIS WEEKEND FOR SURE!!!

78Eliminator
01-09-2004, 11:07 AM
I think we need to shoot everyone on this thread. You know what they say, "Once a human gets a taste for animal blood..."
I still disagree with killing the animal. It was not a mafia hit, it was just a cat.

CrazyHippy
01-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Perhaps the Mafia trained the Cat?:rolleyes:
BJH

Rexone
01-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I think we need to shoot everyone on this thread. You know what they say, "Once a human gets a taste for animal blood..."
I still disagree with killing the animal. It was not a mafia hit, it was just a cat.
So if the accepted theory I mentioned above is true, that once a cat attacks or kills a human they are likely to do it over and over, what is your proposal? Tear down all the housing tracts and truck everyone to the inner city? Send the less desireable humans like death row inmates out on the trail first to keep this rouge animal well fed?
And I've never heard a credible argument based on any fact that suggests that theory isn't true, only some based on emotion, like this one.

78Eliminator
01-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Mike, you big poopie head! :D
I like your idea about feeding inmates to animals. Very nice.

superdave013
01-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Mike, I didn't know you were a rider too. I've got some steep stuff to show ya. You do have good health coverage at Rex Marine right? :)

superdave013
01-09-2004, 01:59 PM
no need to shoot da cat. Just run the dem thing over. :cool:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48SPOOKPistol01.jpg

wsuwrhr
01-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Or, maybe just a rouge lion who found humans easy targets and figured what the hell, this is fun shit.
That is what I am thinking. Figured it was more fun than fighting an adult cat, since the humans didn't fight back much. Maybe he was talking out his inferior frustrations out on defenseless little creatures.
Kinda interesting about the tug-o-war match I heard about on the news.
78eliminator, I hear you bro, I can't say I agree or disagree with you, but I don't think there is any solution to it.
Brian

wsuwrhr
01-09-2004, 05:12 PM
STILL, what is up with the man found dead, laying there for a few days? DIDN'T ANYONE WONDER WHERE HE WAS?
Brian

Rexone
01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
This is a good thread but now that we know SD is ok I'm gonna move it up to HSW where it's better suited than vdrives.
SD I'm more of a climber these days, and like fast downhill shiznit only when there's a trail in front of me minus the logs, cliffs, 6 foot jumps etc. I'm gettin to old for the results of over mis-judging my limited downhill abilities. I'm tired of dislocated and broken shiznit and poison oak sucks. Last time I went over the front and down a canyon on my head and I had that crap for over 3 weeks. :mad:

wsuwrhr
01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
SD I'm more of a climber these days, and like fast downhill shiznit only when there's a trail in front of me minus the logs, cliffs, 6 foot jumps etc. I'm gettin to old for the results of over mis-judging my limited downhill abilities. I'm tired of dislocated and broken shiznit and poison oak sucks. Last time I went over the front and down a canyon on my head and I had that crap for over 3 weeks. :mad:
GEEZ Mike,
If there were anymore types of whining in that post I would wonder if you wear a skirt. Pussy. hahaha.
Brian
just pissing off moderators today

Rexone
01-09-2004, 05:43 PM
You're right that was a little whiny wasn't it. :o
Did I mention I hate POISON OAK!!

Coach
01-09-2004, 05:47 PM
SuperDave013-
I use to race downhill a few years back. What type of bike is that? Look like a Cannondale. I use to ride Whitting all the time. I couldn't believe an attack occured there due to all of the traffic, I would have expected it across the way in the Forest by the Luge and Santiago Trail. I guess many livestock owners around Maejsko (sp) have had animals killed in the last few months. The people involved are all part of Radless.

wsuwrhr
01-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Yea poison oak sucks, there is alot of it on the way to the Bridge to Nowhere. Santa Cruz has plenty of poison oak also. Do you know how poison oak feels when you go for a slide backwards and your pants fold over? Pretty.
Brian

Havasu Hangin'
01-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Have you read SD's posts lately?
The man they found dead has been dead for a few days. The woman was attacked today. At least that's the way I heard the report. So my guess is SD is ok.
He could have been dead for weeks for all we know...

78Eliminator
01-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Mike, you sound like a washed up pussy! How old are you? If you are younger than me, I am going to shit!!!!
**Disclaimer- rex marine is my number one stop for performance boat parts, they treat you the best and have the most knowlegeable staff.
Anyway Mike, how old are you? I hope you are younger than I am!

Mandelon
01-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Ya gotta watch out for those cats...........:rolleyes: :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/24cat_003-med.jpg

cheech
01-09-2004, 10:00 PM
if these animals attack one person they will do it again. it is not there fault they are animals. it does have to be put down. now lets see who the stupid ones are, these people know there are large cats in these areas that hunt and kill large animals to survive. there are enough places for people to walk around in the woods that do not have preditory animals in them. remember we are supposed to be smarter then they are. would you swim with great white sharks if some one told you they weren't hungry.

Coach
01-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Just to set the record straight there have been 13 mountain lion attacks on humans in California over the past 114 years. The last to happen in OC was in Casper’s Wilderness Park in 1986 where a 5 or 6 year old was attacked and killed. Most often the Mountain lions will not attack bigger pray. And let’s not forget they are nocturnal animals as well. A 4:15 pm attack tells me that there might have been something wrong with this cat to start.

superdave013
01-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Coach
SuperDave013-
I use to race downhill a few years back. What type of bike is that? Look like a Cannondale. I use to ride Whitting all the time. I couldn't believe an attack occured there due to all of the traffic, I would have expected it across the way in the Forest by the Luge and Santiago Trail. I guess many livestock owners around Maejsko (sp) have had animals killed in the last few months. The people involved are all part of Radless.
Friends don't let friends ride crackandfails. :)
It's a Spooky Project X made by Frank The Welder out of N. Y.
At the time I wanted something different as everyone seemed to have an M1. It's going on 5 years old so it's no spring chicken.
I have a Santa Cruz Bullit as my all around rig.
I hear ya about all the traffic. That place is busy. I too would have expected it more over by Santiago or Hardin.
From what I hear they got it on Cactus trail. Sounds like you've blasted through that same spot to many times to count. Kinda makes ya go hummm don't it?

Rexone
01-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Mike, you sound like a washed up pussy! How old are you?
Yes I am pretty much a pussy. I steer around all the ruts, rocks, etc and only ride below 20 mph. Anything above 20 and I get skeered. I snow ski only on low intermediate slopes on sunny days with wind below 5mph. I water ski and take care in crossing the wake not to fall and never go over 31 mph. I tuna fish and tell em to cut it off if they think it's over 40 lbs to avoid hurting myself. I have governors installed on all my cars and boats as to not exceed what is a safe speed of 65 mph. I stopped lifting weights and doing cardio awhile back because it seemed just too strenuous. I recently had an elevator installed here at Rex so I don't have to manually climb the stairs. And I just turned 31. :p

Rexone
01-10-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Ya gotta watch out for those cats...........:rolleyes: :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732kitty.jpg
That's a fact... :D

Coach
01-10-2004, 08:16 AM
SD-
I remeber seeing a bunch about the Spooky on MTBR a few years back when I was still riding DH it was a nice bike. Are you going to make the step up to then new Santa Cruz VP Free when it is released?
My wife and I use to both race XC and do a shit load of riding but since we had a our daughter 2 years ago we have hardly touched the bikes. One of my resolutioins is to start riding agian this year. I have already got the Burley trailer ready to go. Maybe when I get my fat ass back in shape we can hook up for a ride.

phebus
01-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Just to set the record straight there have been 13 mountain lion attacks on humans in California over the past 114 years. The last to happen in OC was in Casper’s Wilderness Park in 1986 where a 5 or 6 year old was attacked and killed.
The girl in the Casper's attack was severely injured, but survived the attack.

BADBLOWN572
01-10-2004, 09:12 AM
My parents own a large piece of land less than 5 minutes away from where the event happened. We see mountain lions quite freequently. We leave them alone and they do not bother us. A lot of the time the way we know that they are around is that we see a carcus of a coyote or other small animal. Occasionally, they will come in and pick up a chicken or goat from a neighbor and you will hear all of the other animals going nutts, but they never come around the humans. I have never seen one not run away when you get close to them.
The problem is that right now there is a great deal of developments going in around that general area. Most of their food is also being driven out by the developments. What are they supposed to do? They are in an area that they have been in for a while and they need to eat with no food. What do they do? Pick up the mountain biker who is traveling through their land and attack them. They are an easy target. How is a mountain lion to know that a mountain biker is any different than a coyote, chicken, etc.
About 5 or 6 years ago a little girl was attacked in Irvine Park which also backs the National Forest. The community went into action and instantly went after every mountain lion they could find. They just went after the breed not even the specific cat. Also, there are not that many mountain lions in this general area. We keep taking away their homes to build our new homes. I think that it is BS if they are going to take the mentality that the mountain lion is to blame for this. I don't think that it is the tast for human blood at all. The cat just realizes that humans are easy targets occupying their land so they hit the easiest target to get some food. Think about it! It is a lot easier to head on down to the grocery store (because it is convenient) and pick up a bag of chicken breasts and take it home than to head on out to a farm, kill it, pluck it, etc... The cat is just trying to survive.
I don't want to say that I am a nature freak because I am not. I am considerate of nature and I respect it. I have grown up riding horses, motorcycles, quads, driving tractors, etc. in that area where the accident happened. I am definitely not scared of being there after hearing these stories. It sucks yes, but I think tha tit was wrong place, wrong time. Simply because nature comes back to bite us does not give us the right to destroy it!

Hallett
01-10-2004, 01:25 PM
BAD PUSSY.

clean supreme
01-10-2004, 01:38 PM
buy a faster bike :yuk:

SANGER-RICH
01-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
Damn, I am so full of stories lately, I went up to the "Bridge to Nowhere" on a weekday, ended up coming back when it was getting dark, and starting to rain. A lot of movement up there at night. No guns with us on that run.
Had something following us on the way down, stayed above us most of the way. We had rocks falling down behind us when were hiking back. Might have been a bighorn, who knows, but I can tell you I didn't want to be a snack for something.
One of the few times I had the shit scared out of me. NOW THAT IS FEAR FACTOR.
I like being on top of the foodchain.
Brian
I saw that movie it was called "DELIVERANCE" can ya squeel like a lil piggy?:D :D :D
Just kidding is a dog eat dog world out there and if man wants to keep treading on the wildlifes turf shits going to happen!!!

schiada96
01-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
I have never seen one not run away when you get close to them.
Maybe something wrong with the animal - rabies?
How is a mountain lion to know that a mountain biker is any different than a coyote, chicken, etc.
They don't
About 5 or 6 years ago a little girl was attacked in Irvine Park which also backs the National Forest. The community went into action and instantly went after every mountain lion they could find. They just went after the breed not even the specific cat.
If it was my daughter I would hunt every cat I could. Break out the injured rabbit call and have at them.
Also, there are not that many mountain lions in this general area. We keep taking away their homes to build our new homes. I think that it is BS if they are going to take the mentality that the mountain lion is to blame for this.
Then what animal killed if it wasn't the cougar?
I don't think that it is the tast for human blood at all. The cat just realizes that humans are easy targets occupying their land so they hit the easiest target to get some food.
It didn't have the taste for human. why did it strike twice, so we are to let a animal alone that has a track record of killing a human?
Think about it! It is a lot easier to head on down to the grocery store (because it is convenient) and pick up a bag of chicken breasts and take it home than to head on out to a farm, kill it, pluck it, etc... The cat is just trying to survive.
I don't want to say that I am a nature freak because I am not. I am considerate of nature and I respect it. I have grown up riding horses, motorcycles, quads, driving tractors, etc. in that area where the accident happened. I am definitely not scared of being there after hearing these stories. It sucks yes, but I think tha tit was wrong place, wrong time. Simply because nature comes back to bite us does not give us the right to destroy it!
Wrong if the animal has killed it will kill again. I'd have no problem skining that cougar just like a bobcat. It was not too long ago we used to hunt them, I say bring back the hunt.
Yeah I'd hunt cat for sport. done it before and I'd do it again.
Sorry for the bad quote.

BADBLOWN572
01-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by schiada96
Yeah I'd hunt cat for sport. done it before and I'd do it again.
Ahh... So you are a poacher I see! :mad: :mad: :mad:

eliminatedsprinter
01-12-2004, 04:36 PM
We are talking about an ANIMAL here. They run on instinct, not emotion. They are wild. And they kill for survival and protection of their young. Humans are the only species that kill for psychological motive.
This is often said, but it's not even close to being accurate. Recent and more comprehensive field research by biologists has taught us that many species including the beloved "gentle " chimps and dolphins kill for fun and even play games that involve killing. For example, there is a well documented vidio of 2 bottlenose dolphins playing a game of batting a small Dohl's porpoise back and forth in the air like a volleyball as a game and brutally killing it. As soon as it died they just left it and went on their way. Jane Goodhall has documented many instances of chimps killing animals and even other chimps for no apparent reason, other than for pure spite or pleasure.

wsuwrhr
01-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
This is often said, but it's not even close to being accurate. Recent and more comprehensive field research by biologists has taught us that many species including the beloved "gentle " chimps and dolphins kill for fun and even play games that involve killing. For example, there is a well documented vidio of 2 bottlenose dolphins playing a game of batting a small Dohl's porpoise back and forth in the air like a volleyball as a game and brutally killing it. As soon as it died they just left it and went on their way. Jane Goodhall has documented many instances of chimps killing animals and even other chimps for no apparent reason, other than for pure spite or pleasure.
I would rather not add another SPIN on this deal, but correct me if I am wrong. Don't we have prisons full of these species?
Brian
More on this later....

eliminatedsprinter
01-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Ah yes, those would be the 2 legged species of mountian lion.

superdave013
01-13-2004, 01:57 PM
SD-
I remeber seeing a bunch about the Spooky on MTBR a few years back when I was still riding DH it was a nice bike. Are you going to make the step up to then new Santa Cruz VP Free when it is released?
My wife and I use to both race XC and do a shit load of riding but since we had a our daughter 2 years ago we have hardly touched the bikes. One of my resolutioins is to start riding agian this year. I have already got the Burley trailer ready to go. Maybe when I get my fat ass back in shape we can hook up for a ride.
Nope, I've ridden the V10 VPP deal and didn't like it at all. Don't get me wrong, great race bike if that's all you plan to do with it.
I only hit a few DH races a year and mostly just ride for the fun of riding. My inlaws live in Big Bear so I'm up there all the time.
I'm happy with the stable of bikes I have now.
We do group rides at Santiago Oaks in the summers that are alot of fun. It's also right in your back yard. You and the wife should come out sometime. Tuesdays and Thrusdays at 6:00.

eliminatedsprinter
01-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by clean supreme
buy a faster bike :yuk:
Won't be fast enough. The only way you can outrun them is to bring someone along who is slower than you. ;)

superdave013
01-13-2004, 02:17 PM
This still has me freaked out a bit as I do go to that place and I ride that exact trail. It's not in a remote area at all and for that reason that's one of the places I go when I ride by myself. Pretty mush I feel that if I get all jacked up with a broken collar bone or something I'm not that far from the truck and I know others will be comming by soon. So that could have been me! I've even thought that that spot would be a bad spot to come across a mountain lion as that little section is only flat for the width of the skinny trail. If a cat were to jump on you there it would knock you down the hill and you would be a done deal. Even if you had a wepon, if ya didn't see it comming you would loose.
Ok, this deal is about 2 people. One was killed and the other got very lucky to have a friend save her life.
This is a copy past from the So. Cal section of ridemonkey.com so you know a little more about the guy that lost his life and things he did for others.
"There is a memorial service today - knd of cool, his best friend from and riding buddy from Texas (Anthony) will ride Mark's old Barracuda mountain bike behind the Hearse from the church to the burial site in honor of Mark.
If you have read any of the stories, you now know that Mark collected money from fellow cyclists each year and used it to buy new bikes and helmets for kids whose families could not afford them. He would work with local churches to find the families and take the bikes out to the kids. He said it was the greatest thing to see the kids' faces when they got the bikes. I'm sure many of you can think fondly back on your first bike, so you know how true this is. Mark's family has set up a non-profit fund to
continue this tradition...it is called the Mark J. Reynolds Memorial
"Children's First Bike Fund". They ask that in lieu of everyone sending flowers, that you send donations to the fund. Here's the information...
Mark J. Reynolds Memorial "Children's First Bike Fund"
...make checks payable to "Mark J. Reynolds Memorial"
Mail to...
Nodaway Valley Bank
4001 North Belt Hwy
St. Joseph, MO 64506
attn: Pat Clark (Mark J. Reynolds Memorial)
...please feel free to pass this information on to anyone who is interested in donating.
We are planning to do a ride at Whiting Ranch in Mark's honor. We are also going to place a bench, plaque, stone, plant a tree, or something in Mark's honor. Mark's parents and Ann Marie will be in the area the weekend of January 31-February 1. Therefore this ride will take place on Sunday, February 1 so his parents can see just how many lives Mark touched here in So. California. The time is TBD, as I am waiting to hear whether a morning or afternoon time works better for Mark's family. I'll send details as
soon as I have them.
HONORING MARK
There are stories on many websites, stories in papers, national and local news. Last night in Orange County, Mark's neighbors at his apartment complex held a candle light vigil in his honor. When I talked with Ann Marie, she said that Insider Edition had been there for the past 1-1/2 hours and was going to air a story on Mark's life tonight...check for times on CBS. People Magazine is also going to do a story on Mark. NOTE...Insider Edition also donated $1,000 to the Mark J. Reynolds Memorial "Children's First Bicycle Fund".
Many of the websites that have stories about Mark up (Celo Pacific, VeloNews, CTS, OMS Sports, etc.) will be posting the information about the "Children's First Bicycle Fund".
Our good friend and teammate, Melissa Fletcher, made a mountain bike tire wreathe with flowers attached and tied it to the gate at Whiting Ranch. She also included a card that said "Good bye, Mark J. We miss you. Love, your teammates." There are also other flowers there at the gate in Mark's honor.____________________________________________ _
I just found out from Shawn Lowery that the woman who was attacked is under-insured and they have a trust fund set up for her. I'll try to get info. from him.
Other events...there is a woman w/ contact info. in the OC Register trying to raise funds to set up a memorial. I have sent her an e-mail to get her to work with us on a combined effort. There is also something on socalmtb.com that Greg Norombaba just responded to. They are going to do something as well...something to raise funds with Oakley, a band, and speaker.
That's it for now..."

superdave013
01-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
Won't be fast enough. The only way you can outrun them is to bring someone along who is slower than you. ;)
Yup, like rattle snakes always seen to strike at the second rider.

eliminatedsprinter
01-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Just to set the record straight there have been 13 mountain lion attacks on humans in California over the past 114 years. The last to happen in OC was in Casper’s Wilderness Park in 1986 where a 5 or 6 year old was attacked and killed. Most often the Mountain lions will not attack bigger pray. And let’s not forget they are nocturnal animals as well. A 4:15 pm attack tells me that there might have been something wrong with this cat to start.
This is true and prior to 1980 there were only 2 (If I remember correctly) and no fatalities.
There are many factors involved in this issue. Ie human encroachment into cat habitat etc...One big factor is that is totally ignored by the media and the "environmentalists" is the very nature of the Mountian Lions themselves.
The Mountian Lion , aka Puma, aka Couger, aka Catamount, aka Panther (in the western himisphere), etc , is the world's most adaptable non human species of land animal. It lives in a greater variety of environments than any other. They are found in every type of habitat from the arctic circle to the southern tip of south america. They are also territorial and in some places their habitat is overpopulated and the biggest strongest male cats are forcing the smaller cats out of the wilds into areas they would normally avoid. For example, a few years ago a mountian lion walked right through downtown Reno. This is something that never happend 25, 50, 100 or even 125 years ago. In some places, ie Ca, our strange mix of evironmental regs and politically (rather than biologically) driven types of wildlife management have caused there to to be more cats and pray animals than their territorial nature will allow. In short, not only are our territorial, and adaptable ways causing us to move into their habitat, but their own territorial and adaptable ways combined with our removal of the natural barriers that kept us apart are causing some friction to occure between the 2 most adaptable and successful land mammels in our hemisphere.