PDA

View Full Version : I Got An ALKY problem Question ...

Liberator TJ1984
03-26-2006, 08:54 AM
What is the Technical Grade of Alcohol That you guys are running for fuel ???
or basic grade/requirements .....we got Methanol here at work listed as this.....
Methanol60 100%
DOT I.D. > Methanol , 3 (6.1) UN 1230 PG II
IATA / IMDG I.D. > Methanol UN 1230
Is this good to use for fuel ???? :idea:
We also carry ....Isopropanol UN 1219 , PG II

Fiat48
03-26-2006, 05:14 PM
As long as it says Methanol 100%....you should be good to go. Keep drums tightly sealed as methanol attracts water.

Liberator TJ1984
03-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Thanks Fiat48 ,
I was just told there were different " grades" of Methanol ???
I can purchase this fuel mentioned above "at Cost" since I am an employee or I can HAVE for FREE the Leftover Methanol that is not used on a job, It comes in 400 gal.Stainless Tote Tanks , there may be anywhere from 10 to 100 gal. in them after a job.....if this would work I can't see letting it go to waste :p as we also have all these New Clean 55gal.drums in the warehouse too :idea:

atxwrangler
03-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Sounds Like A Easy Decision To Me Chris!

Taylorman
03-27-2006, 06:58 AM
What type of work do you do that you use Methanol?

Liberator TJ1984
03-27-2006, 08:03 AM
The guys in our Well Stimulation Dept, use methanol to be Pumped/Injected into Oil and Gas Wells as a treatment program that helps open up the formation ( gas or oil producing zones ) and clean them up, when they put the well back on line and start to produce again ,the methanol will not harm any of their delicate instrumentation or clog stuff up.
They also have some other Concentrated Very Expensive chemicals that they use Methanol to Dilute it down to a desired usable Viscosity.
We usually only keep about 200 gals. for the Lab to run tests with , But when we do a job they order in as much as 2000 gals+ or whatever they project the job will require Plus a little extra for a safety factor, the client pays for it and what is not used goes back to the Packaging plant ...say he orders 500gal. but only used 400, he still gets charged for the 500 , the 100 gals left over will go back regardless, that is where I step In :crossx:

Fiat48
03-27-2006, 09:24 AM
I can't find anything as far as methanol60. The drum I have is simply labeled Methanol as has been all I have ever bought. As far as grades of methanol go, I have heard of a B grade which had slightly more water content. Generally all methanol has some water dilution as sold. I think 99.94% pure is the actual highest a chemistry place says it is.
Maybe you can ask the product supplier.

blowngas
03-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Methanol60 100%
It all comes out of the celanese plant in Bishop----even VP's-----buy it by the truck load or train car, and drum it them selves-----if you ever get some reagent grade ethanol, be sure and get an extra gallon or so-----and you too can get "well stimulated"--------lol

Fiat48
03-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Use this stuff with your alky. This is a good price.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/dept_id.164/display_id.1866/qx/Product.htm

steve d
03-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Use this stuff with your alky. This is a good price.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/dept_id.164/display_id.1866/qx/Product.htm
Bob, Is this also considered a top end lube? Would it replace Marvel Mystery oil for AV gas? We used to use oil of murbane for the t.e.(bean oil)...can't seem to find it now...Thanks Steve

Fiat48
03-28-2006, 08:01 AM
This stuff is for alky only. I have several cans of it here and they state nothing about running it with gas. It's a pump lubricant but for some reason it seems to stop the corrosion attack on fittings and the alcohol from turning to "sugar". Stuff sure works. I leave the alky in all season. Never even blow out a line anymore.
Gofastracer is big on Marvel oil. Maybe he can help you find some.

steve d
03-28-2006, 08:12 AM
This stuff is for alky only. I have several cans of it here and they state nothing about running it with gas. It's a pump lubricant but for some reason it seems to stop the corrosion attack on fittings and the alcohol from turning to "sugar". Stuff sure works. I leave the alky in all season. Never even blow out a line anymore.
Gofastracer is big on Marvel oil. Maybe he can help you find some.
Now that's some good advertisement . We learned the hard way with alky ,nitro and carbs. Only once. My thought on av gas.... it being 2006, that some black horned rimed spectacled chemist tripped over something that would make AV gas the chit.......Steve

Liberator TJ1984
03-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all the input guys......Well my parade may have gotten rained on ????
Got in contact with one of the senior Lab Guru's and said it was alot more corrosive than Fuel Grade Methanol to the best of his knowledge ???
I am still waiting on specs. and reply from the supplier , we'll see :cry: