PDA

View Full Version : What's your management Style?

Boozer
03-26-2006, 09:59 AM
For about 3 months now I have had an assistant that takes care of misc. things for me. His work load is light and his pay is pretty good fr what he does. However, I have recently been recieving past due notices for things I have asked him to take care of for me. Simply put I give him a sealed envelope he puts a stamp on it and sends it out. How hard is that to do??? So today I come in and check out his desk buried beneath some papers on his desk is about 15 different things he was suppose to have sent out some as old as 2 months ago!!!
So here is my question. I am incredibly nice to my assistant, I never raise my voice, never come off in a demanding manor and overall treat with him with a LOT of respect by far more respect then anyone I have ever worked under has given me because I know how much it sucks to work for an asshole who's constantly yelling at you for what is often times their own mistakes. Do I need to crack the whip and turn into the same a$$hole manager I have always had? My assistant is a nice kid but as time goes by I am noticing more and more things NOT being taken care of that need to be.
For those of you who manage employees how do you treat those who are beneath you? Do you treat them as an equal or do you pull rank and make it constantly known that you are the boss and if sh*t doesnt get done sh*t will hit the fan? I'm thinking about pulling an OG tomorrow and when he comes in Smash his ipod with a steel rod but I dont think that would go over well with corporate.

Her454
03-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Oh boy, wait till Topless gets ahold of this one.
:rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

TCHB
03-26-2006, 10:04 AM
1. Make it clear your expectations and make sure he understands them.
Sit down and have the uncomfortable talk.

76ANTHONY
03-26-2006, 10:05 AM
maybe he's on hb all day..no yelling doesnt work, been there done that. just tell him this craps importatnt. and your gonna watch him for a week and see if he cleans up his act. he probably doesnt realize the importance of things like you do. talk to him first then use evasive action if that doesnt work..
just my .02

JetBoatRich
03-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Nice guys finish last :rolleyes:
Time to document the events and let him know he has to do his job. It effects your ability to get your job done. Look at time you have to spend now with discipline :rolleyes:

76ANTHONY
03-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Oh boy, wait till Topless gets ahold of this one.
:rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
yeah topless would kick his ass.... :crossx:

USCFAN
03-26-2006, 10:13 AM
I think the way you treat him is fair and he should be treated with respect as we all want. Maybe if you just sit down and have a talk with him so that he understands that you feel there has been some things that you are definetly not happy with as far as his performance at work goes. You can get a lot accomplished by just addressing some of these things with a simple conversation renforcing your expectations. If he doesn't respong to this then maybe you will have to crack the whip or throw him out on his head. :) But I would not change your management style because you have a guy who is not intelligent enough to understand he has a boss who respects him as a person but in the same token just wants him to get the job done. You can definetly find and employee who will perform well under this type of situation. Just my 02. Goodluck.

hoolign
03-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Time to start evaluating your management skills I would say. If you want to treat them as equals..share your check with them, or your office. I don't treat anyone at work with a lack of respect..but, they realize that I'm the boss and there is a certain way I want things done.They have an obligation to carry out their tasks in a professional and efficient manor. If they can't do the job ..someone else is always waiting in the wings to take it from them. Upper management has put you in a position of responsibility, to get the job done! If they can't do the job..write them up! 3 strikes and ...next!

Havasu_Dreamin
03-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm going to assume this is your own personal assistant working for the business you own. If not, I echo what SWB said.
That being said, it's time to have a "come to jesus' meeting. Sit down with your assistant and:
1. calmly explain why you are meeting
2. go over what you expect from him
3. establish goals and expectations for him to meet by an agreed upon date in the future, say 3 weeks from now
4. meet at the agreed upon time and review the goals and expectations. were they met? if so, praise him for meeting the goals and expectations.
5. establish some additional goals and expectations and repeat the process.
This does not need to be done forever but two or three times and then he will know what is expected and will no longer need the closer supervision.
It's not about being an asshole manager, it's about establishing a relationship with your employee that enables both of you to succeed.

Boozer
03-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Am I to understand that your "assistant" is for you or for the company you work for? Is he mailing your personal bills and letters? No offense, but if those are your personal bills, how hard is it for YOU to put a stamp on them and mail them? I would think that corporate would not be too sympathetic to your plight if most of his shortcomings revolve around not doing your personal duties.
The company pays him an hourly wage to assist me in my job. I also give him a little extra money to take care of misc things that I cant get around too which in some cases means I drop something off on his desk and ask him to stamp it and put it in the mail for me, go get lunch, pick up my dry cleaning, etc. Not really to big of tasks ya know? But big enough tasks that it will take me away from the billion things I have to do.
Could I mail my own sh*t? You bet! Could I pick up my own dry cleaning? You bet! Could I do my job plus the tasks he does in his job? You bet! But he is here to make my job easier and if that means mailing some letters, bills, etc, out for me then that's his job. He gets paid to do whatever I need him to do and it's that simple.

ECeptor
03-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Would he have a legitimate case against your company if he was terminated for failing to fluff and fold your undies? You bet he would.
Not if that was in his job description.
Boozer - speaking of which, there is one for this guy...right? If not, than that is Step 1. Step 2 is working with him to insure he meets those requirements.
There's nothing wrong with having an assistant who does your "bitch" work. Just make sure you are up front that's what the job is.
Now, if I asked someone in my sales dept. to pick up my dry cleaning I'd fully expect to in deep sh$t.

Boozer
03-26-2006, 10:42 AM
I would be willing to bet that you're 100% wrong in your assertation. He gets paid to do company business, period. Is he willing to pick up your dry cleaning and get you lunch? Sounds like he is, good for you. Would he have a legitimate case against your company if he was terminated for failing to fluff and fold your undies? You bet he would.
My personal delinquency notices are what brought this to my attention, not the only thing that he has neglected. I imagine I have enough to build a strong case with corporate against him if I decided to have him terminated however, that is not my intent. Like I said I like the guy, my customers like the guy, and for the most part things do get done. However, there have been some things NOT getting done both personal and business. Right now I'm looking at a customers invoice and copy of a service agreement that should have been sent out 4 weeks ago, I've also got some property that was returned to my location and should have been shipped out to its rightful owner 2 weeks ago as it was promised. I'm just shocked I have't had irate customers lighting up my phone asking me where the heck this stuff is.
None the less this thread was intended to get advice on what I can do differantly to get my employee to perform the required tasks at hand. NOT to be ridiculed by you because I ask my employee to pick up my dry cleaning. So if you have nothing else to say to contribue to this thread in a positive manner why not stay out of it all together?
Thank you for your consideration.

Boozer
03-26-2006, 10:44 AM
If I worked with you and read the highlighted area we would have a problem :mad:
I apologize for the poor wording. Maybe I should have said employee working under my direct supervision?

cdog
03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Plain and simple. You give him or her a detailed job description on what the job entails and what’s expected of them. Make them sign it. When or if they screw up. The consequences begin. Otherwise everyone’s happy and nobody can claim ignorance. :rollside:

doesitfloat?
03-26-2006, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=Boozer]The company pays him an hourly wage to assist me in my job. QUOTE]
Uh oh...
...assist you in your JOB. If the issues are job related...you have a beef with him. If your issues are with how he's handling your personal stuff...you're superiors will probably have a beef w/ you. I know I would...

doesitfloat?
03-26-2006, 10:49 AM
NOT to be ridiculed by you because I ask my employee to pick up my dry cleaning. So if you have nothing else to say to contribue to this thread in a positive manner why not stay out of it all together?
Thank you for your consideration.
But he's NOT your employee, he's the company's employee. Open your own business up and then you can have the guy scratch your balls if you want to.

hoolign
03-26-2006, 10:56 AM
And, if he is neglecting real company business, that's a reason for you to step in and set him straight.
Before or after the socks are folded?

Boozer
03-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Hey, why don't you have yourself a piping hot cup of STFU and do your own errands.
What's he matter Bob? Why the hostility? You and your boyfriend on hiatus again or what?

Boozer
03-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm married dumbass. Some of actually wait to get married before we have 10 kids.
13 and counting. I only acknowledge 2 of them though.
I thought gay marriage wasnt legalized in California yet??

JetBoatRich
03-26-2006, 11:09 AM
this thread wil go nowhere good :yuk:

6 Dollar Boat
03-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I have pleanty of time to pick up my own dry cleaning, and I pay my own bills (online, not with stamps). But I don't have 4191 posts on HB..... :rolleyes:

OutCole'd
03-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Hey, why don't you have yourself a piping hot cup of STFU and do your own errands.
You said you give him "a couple of bucks" to take care of things you don't have time to take care of yourself, IE, your personal business. If you two worked for me, I'd fire both of you. Take care of your own business on your own time and stop using company assets for your own business.
Well said.

Tom Brown
03-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Here let me make this post and everybody can tell me what a great boss I am, blah, blah, blah.
Nothing pisses me off more than when I agree with John-Bob. .... but I am forced to, in this case.

Tom Brown
03-26-2006, 11:32 AM
I apologize if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but at this time I'd like to point out that ShockwaveBob is an ex-marine.
... and a self proclaimed, bad mamajama! :D

hoolign
03-26-2006, 11:34 AM
I apologize if this was mentioned earlier in the thread but at this time I'd like to point out that ShockwaveBob is an ex-marine.
... and a self proclaimed, bad mamajama! :D
WHAT..AND I'VE BEEN MOCKING HIM ALL THIS TIME????? :rolleyes:

Tom Brown
03-26-2006, 11:35 AM
this thread wil go nowhere good :yuk:
Speak for yourself. These are my favorite threads. :D

Tom Brown
03-26-2006, 11:36 AM
WHAT..AND I'VE BEEN MOCKING HIM ALL THIS TIME????? :rolleyes:
I hadn't noticed. :D :D :D :D

Her454
03-26-2006, 11:37 AM
My personal delinquency notices are what brought this to my attention, not the only thing that he has neglected.
I think the problem is right here in front of you. Assistant or not, these things are YOUR responsibility and YOU alone should take care of it, period.
Unless his job description states that he is responsible that your personal bills get paid on time (and Im sure he didnt sign on any of your loans) you have no one to blame but yourself if they go delinquent.

Tom Brown
03-26-2006, 11:39 AM
...these things are YOUR responsibility and YOU alone should take care of it, period.
God damn, you're sexy!

JetBoatRich
03-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Speak for yourself. These are my favorite threads. :D
The can make for some good reading :rolleyes:

Her454
03-26-2006, 11:42 AM
God damn, you're sexy!
Thank youTom, but I'm busy right now trying to find someone beneath me that can go wash my truck and pay my mastercard.

Tom Brown
03-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I came just then! :D

slink
03-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Thank youTom, but I'm busy right now trying to find someone beneath me that can go wash my truck and pay my mastercard.
I'm sure if you put Tom "beneath" you, he would take care of both :)

Tom Brown
03-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Hey Boozer, remember back when you had a partner who was responsible for your business failing? Remember how it was all his fault and none of it was your own?
Maybe this is a similar situation.
You strike me as a capable man. I encourage you to step up and take control of your situation. Make good things happen and enjoy the success that goes along with that lifestyle.
You can succeed.... the trick is to not let anyone hold you back. Step up and handle it. You won't be sorry. :cool:

Her454
03-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm sure if you put Tom "beneath" you, he would take care of both :)
He better do it right the first time I dont want to "have the talk" with him and explain his duties.
Damn men.

Her454
03-26-2006, 11:49 AM
I came just then! :D
I'll try not to talk so fast. :rollside:

hoolign
03-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Hey Boozer, remember back when you had a partner who was responsible for your business failing? Remember how it was all his fault and none of it was your own?
Maybe this is a similar situation.
You strike me as a capable man. I encourage you to step up and take control of your situation. Make good things happen and enjoy the success that goes along with that lifestyle.
You can succeed.... the trick is to not let anyone hold you back. Step up and handle it. You won't be sorry. :cool:
F'THAT!
that's what seporates the "good" managers from the "great" ones...the ability to convince everyone that none of it is your fault!

Boozer
03-26-2006, 12:10 PM
As much of an ass as I can be on here I really do value the input you guys give me (Even ShockwaveBob). I know most of you are successful business owners and your feedback is and has been very valuable to me in past situations.
In the past I have always had managers ask me to do their grunt work and figured that's just how it i so now that I get to be the boss I get to have my assistant do my grunt work. Apparently I am in the wrong for thinking this. I didn't think I was but the general concesus seems to say otherwise and like I said the feedback you guys give me is important so I'll take your advice on this one.
So with that said here's my plan of action. Tomorrow I'll be having a 1 on 1 with my assistant and discuss the things that have been taking place. I'm going to inform him that if taking care of my misc errands is affecting his ability to do his job overall then I wont ask him to do them anymore. Afterall, neglecting my bills and such pissed me off a bit, but neglecting my customers pisses me off a lot more and maybe it is in fact my fault that this is taking place.
Thank you for all of your feedback.

doesitfloat?
03-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Good attitude, Boozer. Good luck, tomorrow.

Her454
03-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I really do value the input you guys give me
I must be hormonal today, that really hurt my feelings Boozer as I put a lot of thought in to my advice for you and here you go not even acknowledging a womans point of view.
:cry: :rollside: :rolleyes:

Norseman
03-26-2006, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=Boozer]The company pays him an hourly wage to assist me in my job. QUOTE]
Uh oh...
...assist you in your JOB. If the issues are job related...you have a beef with him. If your issues are with how he's handling your personal stuff...you're superiors will probably have a beef w/ you. I know I would...
Exactly!!!
If what's not being done is Company related, then you have an issue.
If it's your personal stuff, you should be doing it yourself, or paying him enough that he does it, on his own time, as a 2nd job, not company time.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
03-26-2006, 12:42 PM
As much of an ass as I can be on here I really do value the input you guys give me (Even ShockwaveBob). I know most of you are successful business owners and your feedback is and has been very valuable to me in past situations.
In the past I have always had managers ask me to do their grunt work and figured that's just how it i so now that I get to be the boss I get to have my assistant do my grunt work. Apparently I am in the wrong for thinking this. I didn't think I was but the general concesus seems to say otherwise and like I said the feedback you guys give me is important so I'll take your advice on this one.
So with that said here's my plan of action. Tomorrow I'll be having a 1 on 1 with my assistant and discuss the things that have been taking place. I'm going to inform him that if taking care of my misc errands is affecting his ability to do his job overall then I wont ask him to do them anymore. Afterall, neglecting my bills and such pissed me off a bit, but neglecting my customers pisses me off a lot more and maybe it is in fact my fault that this is taking place.
Thank you for all of your feedback.
i hold a 1 on 1 meeting once a week with those that report directly to me. it ususally runs 1/2 hour and we cover everything from strengths and weaknesses to what their kids are doing. you will be amazed at how much better things run when you allocate that time to hear what they have to say and for you to be heard. plus it gives you an opportunity to follow up the following week on any projects you have outlined for that person.

MagicMtnDan
03-26-2006, 01:57 PM
There's so much going on here and even more that we don't know about that it's hard to even make sense of the problems.
Why do you have an assistant? I don't know many people who actually have an assistant whose primary job it is to assist him/her.
Does this assistant position have a job description? How are the tasks in that job description prioritized? What makes you think it's OK to have someone tend to your personal tasks, even if you pay him out of your own pocket?
I don't want to criticize you without knowing more but based on what you've posted I'd say you need to reassess what your assistant is supposed to be doing (and not doing), how you think of subordinates, how work (yours and his) is prioritized, etc.

ECeptor
03-26-2006, 03:57 PM
i hold a 1 on 1 meeting once a week with those that report directly to me. it ususally runs 1/2 hour and we cover everything from strengths and weaknesses to what their kids are doing. you will be amazed at how much better things run when you allocate that time to hear what they have to say and for you to be heard. plus it gives you an opportunity to follow up the following week on any projects you have outlined for that person.
That's a good idea. I do that once a year...maybe I should step it up to once a month. With 9 direct reports, that would be a lot of time each week.

hoolign
03-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Shockwave, you are way out of line here bro. First of all, if this guy owns the business he is doing, he can pay this kid to do ANYTHING he wants him to do. As an assistant, thats about self explanatary. Whether the kid is paying corporate stuff, or personal stuff is irrelevant, he is an assisistant, that's what he is paid for. As for this kid, I am way sceptical of him for a LOT of reasons, here are the main ones....first, you are giving him simple tasks, pay this, put a stamp on this, mail this. WHY is he ratholing shit under the desk for up to two months?? What else is he not capable of doing? I would lay it out for him. What his job is, what you expect of him, SHOW him the delinquncy notices so he understands the importance of why it needs to be mailed out, and finally, give him a verbal warning. Keep a file on EVERYTHING you talk about, have another guy in the room at all times as a witness to these conversations, document everything. Tell him he has X amount of time to get it right, and that the next time he will be on probation with a written warning, if that does not work, then go ahead and fire him. These days, you can not just up and fire people, they go right down to unemployment and file on you, and then you have to run down and tell them why they should not pay.....best case scenario, make him quit....then you pay nothing...hope this helps....shockwave Bob is unusually harsh here....I wonder why??? And for those of you thinking I am just a dumb train engineer, thats true, but I am also corporate staff on my family's multi-million dollar business....
As a gopher?? :D

boatsnblondes
03-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Sorta anymore, I deleted the post, after rereading the posts, I realize the he does not own this company, and in that case, Bob is NOT wrong, but very right. My appologies to him.

hoolign
03-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Sorta anymore, I deleted the post, after rereading the posts, I realize the he does not own this company, and in that case, Bob is NOT wrong, but very right. My appologies to him.
Good thing I quoted it for you then ..isn't it :D

Riverkid
03-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Well then I think I'm F'ed....
I'm running around to shops picking up employee's boats so they can stay out working late on jobs....
Hmm. :rolleyes:

Jordy
03-26-2006, 11:10 PM
But I don't have 4191 posts on HB..... :rolleyes:
Slacker. What's wrong with you??? :D :D :D
but I'm busy right now trying to find someone beneath me
I'm on my back and waiting. All you have to do is show up in Paradise Valley. ;) :D

Red Horse
03-27-2006, 03:34 AM
Whenever you supervise someone you need to do the following. I have 21 people that work for me right now and have had over 50.
Expectations: Lay them out. This is what you expect and stick to it.
Example: Set the example. People will emulate this and will be more likely to do like you do instead of what you say.
Measure: How do they meet your expectations? Tell them. Tell them where they have shortcomings and where they excel.
Respect: give it and you should get it in return.
Counsel in private, praise in public. If someone is doing something wrong, pull them in your office and talk to them, if they are doing good, tell everybody!
Be a leader. Make the hard choice. They will grumble at first, then like what you do later.
Your assistant. I would have his ass if is was company stuff. If is your stuff, get off your ass and lead by example.

Just Tool'n
03-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Put him on a performance review, with reviews at 30-60-90 days out, with goals & milestones.
Remeber to start with the end in mind.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
03-27-2006, 08:38 AM
That's a good idea. I do that once a year...maybe I should step it up to once a month. With 9 direct reports, that would be a lot of time each week.
You will be amazed at how much of your time will free up if you do these consistantly and without exception. look at this way, if you do it once a week, it's 4.5 hours out of the total week. spread it out over mon-thurs. What happens is you will not be sidetracked throughout the week with the ticky-tack b.s. that you don't realize you deal with. your staff will save the little stuff for these meetings. and by the way, the more you do them, the shorter they can get. it does take a little discipline and extra effort at first but it gets pretty easy after the third or fourth one. And the staff counts on them...

Dave C
03-27-2006, 08:54 AM
LOL good one.... :)
F'THAT!
that's what seporates the "good" managers from the "great" ones...the ability to convince everyone that none of it is your fault!

topless
03-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Hey Boozer, just have the "kid" give the bill collectors my work number and I'll pretend that I don't speak english. :crossx:

hoolign
03-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Hey Boozer, just have the "kid" give the bill collectors my work number and I'll pretend that I don't speak english. :crossx:
:hammerhea

OGShocker
03-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm thinking about pulling an OG tomorrow and when he comes in Smash his ipod with a steel rod but I dont think that would go over well with corporate.
My shipping clerk is one of our hardest working and most dedicated employees....now.:D
I don't recommend ANYONE use my management style unless you go through the rigorous 15 year training process first.. :rolleyes:
Please edit your post to reflect the use of an aluminium rod NOT a "steel rod".

Boozer
03-27-2006, 05:51 PM
My shipping clerk is one of our hardest working and most dedicated employees....now.:D
I don't recommend ANYONE use my management style unless you go through the rigorous 15 year training process first.. :rolleyes:
Please edit your post to reflect the use of an aluminium rod NOT a "steel rod".
I didnt have to bust out the rod and his ipod is still in tact. Last night I wrote down a strategy for the next month and set expectations for the entire month (for both of us). Today we had a sit down I'll be mailing my own letters and bills out myself now and in exchange my customers wont be neglected. Seems like a fair enough trade to me. He wont be going with me to Indiana in May when I am moving for a job transfer/promotion but assuming he does well this month I promised to recommend him for a promotion.
Thank you for all your feedback both positive and negative it helped me come up with a solid stategy that should benefit both him and myself for the remainder of our time together.