PDA

View Full Version : Stud Kit and Safety.

probablecause
03-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Just installed a droop snoot with a stud kit (thanks Squirtin thunder) but my wife has some concerns about the safety of them being so exposed with regards to our little ones who love to hang off of the back of the boat like a playground. Now, before you say, "Tell them not to" the reality is that they eventually will.
Has anybody ever done anything like put 3/8 inch hose over them and cap them with a mushroom head nut? Just something to protect them a little more. Any suggestions? Thanks, Brendan

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 10:14 AM
They make vaccum caps in different sizes at your local auto part store. Budlight

1978 Rogers
03-26-2006, 10:42 AM
the next thing they'll be doing is putting rocks in the pump and exhaust. I'd just tell them to stay away. no scratches to the hull also.

maxwedge
03-26-2006, 11:34 AM
. Now, before you say, "Tell them not to" the reality is that they eventually will.
This sounds like a classic case of the inmates running the prison. :D

1978 Rogers
03-26-2006, 11:38 AM
This sounds like a classic case of the inmates running the prison. :D
I was thinking that. Glad someone else said it. I was pointing out some of the other thing that can happen when little kids play around a boat. My 3 year old loves swing sticks and climbing in the boat when I have the cover off. Hes wacked it a few times with his stick and stips on the gel with his little shoes that have rocks stuck in them. :cry:
Kids should just stay away.

probablecause
03-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Easy boys. No rocks in the exhaust or pump. We have a full swim step and the kids fish off of the back, etc. The pain train would definitely leave the station for them if anything like the above were to happen. They know the boundaries and as to the original post, notice the "wife" had concerns. My answer to her was they will cut/scrape themselves one time and learn to stay off.

1968Droptop
03-26-2006, 02:43 PM
My answer to her was they will cut/scrape themselves one time and learn to stay off.
The school of hard knocks....works every time !
Vacuum hose plugs are your best and the lowest cost way to satisfy the wife if there's enough thread exposed for them to stay on while under power. They shouldn't look to bad either, and it'll keep the threads clean :rollside:.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Vacuum hose plugs are your best and the lowest cost way to satisfy the wife. They shouldn't look bad either. AND it'll keep the threads clean . AND they come in different colors! Budlight

1968Droptop
03-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Vacuum hose plugs are your best and the lowest cost way to satisfy the wife. They shouldn't look bad either. AND it'll keep the threads clean . AND they come in different colors! Budlight
I thought that, but wasn't sure...good call BL.

sanger rat
03-26-2006, 04:57 PM
What about a axle nut? The ones that are capped on the end.

superdave013
03-26-2006, 05:13 PM
What about a axle nut? The ones that are capped on the end.
some stainless acorne nuts would be pimp.

steelcomp
03-26-2006, 05:36 PM
some stainless acorne nuts would be pimp.
Is that good? :rollside:
If you don't plan on taking your droop off and on much, I'd just go with the right length bolts and not have the problem. ARP stainless would look real nice.

Devilman
03-26-2006, 05:48 PM
If there is that much extra exposed, why not saw 'em off flush with the nut? Then if you wanna clean it up for the smooth look, use the stainless acorn nuts... :cool:
Besides that, if they are messin around up there that close, wouldn't you have to worry about them gettin their fingers pinched or caught somewhere's else back there? Diverter, steering nozzle, reverse bucket, etc....

sanger rat
03-26-2006, 06:08 PM
If Moma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :)

LVjetboy
03-27-2006, 02:22 AM
On the other hand, if you preach safety to your kids, how're they supposed to grow up to be risk-taking Hooligans and get all the glory that entails? Maybe you should think big picture. :D
jer

probablecause
03-27-2006, 08:50 AM
On the other hand, if you preach safety to your kids, how're they supposed to grow up to be risk-taking Hooligans and get all the glory that entails? Maybe you should think big picture. :D
jer
This is the same as the Stove theory: You can tell them that it is hot but they won't beleive you until they touch it.

moneysucker
03-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I was thinking that. Glad someone else said it. I was pointing out some of the other thing that can happen when little kids play around a boat. My 3 year old loves swing sticks and climbing in the boat when I have the cover off. Hes wacked it a few times with his stick and stips on the gel with his little shoes that have rocks stuck in them. :cry:
Kids should just stay away.
I can top that one. I don't have kids. I had my boat at the launch ramp waiting for my passenger to get down to the boat and after having some moron lake lice bounce his 1982 seadoo off my freshly painted and polished pump, I get to watch a little girl come toward my boat step up on the deck (From the dirt in shoes) I yell "What are you doing?" She turns on the (golf spike shoe) and gets off my boat to join her dumb ass dad with the sea doo. I was so shocked that I didn't do anything about it but was and still am pissed off and should have knocked the guy out for having a stupid kid . I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.White jet ski...Black jet boat fresh from a wet sand and buff...Easy mistake.... :220v:

garret
03-27-2006, 04:30 PM
If there is that much extra exposed, why not saw 'em off flush with the nut? Then if you wanna clean it up for the smooth look, use the stainless acorn nuts... :cool:
Besides that, if they are messin around up there that close, wouldn't you have to worry about them gettin their fingers pinched or caught somewhere's else back there? Diverter, steering nozzle, reverse bucket, etc....
You need to leave the extra length so you can add shims if you would like. And if they are long the acorn nuts will hit the droop if that is the setup he has.

LUVNLIFE
03-27-2006, 05:05 PM
The acorn nuts are prob the best idea. If you want plastic covers OSH has the whole selection but I bet you would be constantly replacing them.