PDA

View Full Version : Need Help. DMV, CA or AZ

Mandelon
01-10-2004, 03:56 PM
I have a mid 80's ex Caltrans beater dump truck I use for my work. I bought it used and had for a week until one of my knucklehead workers blew the motor.
It sat for a couple of months till I put in a new motor. Loaned it to an associate to use and he trashed the new motor. (Long Story)
It sat for a couple of years until recently I had one of my guys put in a used engine. Now the truck is running great.
But..................I never bothered to register it in my business' name. I checked on getting it transferred and registered. DMV wants $2800.00 for past years and penalties. :mad: It hasn't been registered since 2001. Obviously I should have taken the time to get the truck registered as non-op, but that didn't happen.
It has been suggested that I can sell it out of state and then bring it back after, to avoid the past fees and penalties. Anyone have experience with this?
I would like to register it now, but obviously with fees that high I cannot. :frown: that is about how much the damn thing is worth. I don't think I can even sell it in California. Maybe I 'll ship it south of the border, or just keep using it until they confiscate it, then buy it back at the County Auction for $300. :rolleyes:
Any Ideas???????????????? Thanks.

JetBoatRich
01-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Donate it and take the write off. If you can donate it:(

Moneypitt
01-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Mandelon, check your PMs.........Moneypitt

Mandelon
01-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the PM's guys. Good ideas. :)
When the lady at DMV told me how much it was going to cost, I laughed out loud and said , "nevermind, I'll just keep driving it with the expired tags."
She gave me SUCH a look. (:mad: ) She spent like 20 minutes figuring up the penalties from the previous 3 years....:wink: Maybe she was going to get a %%%.?

coolchange
01-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Find a mechanic and have it lean saled. Starts the reg all over.

ACCEPTENCE
01-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by coolchange
Find a mechanic and have it lean saled. Starts the reg all over.
Yes indeed...this might work:D .

Mandelon
01-11-2004, 07:46 PM
So the mechanic allegedly works on it...then I don't pay. He takes it by lien and can resell it?
It has never been in my name.

raff
01-11-2004, 09:05 PM
My wife works with the DMV, not for them, but with them, she is a licensed registration service. This is what she has to say, when you process a lien sale through the DMV, they only way they would waive the penaties and back fees is if the vehicle has been in a licensed dealer inventory, so that's out.
DMV does not waive penalties or back fees simply on a lien sale, a lot of her customers try this, and with no luck, they lien it, go to the DMV and they quote the same fees, LIEN SALES DO NOT GET RID OF BACK FEES AND PENALTIES.
She has seen it done, but only if the DMV clerk will waive the fees, you see, that is the trick, the DMV clerk HAS the power to waive the fees and penalties, but rarely will they do this.
Registering it out of state may help, but the problem is that when you bring in the out of state title to re-title in California, they will want to know how long it has been out of state, and they still may want all the back fees, really depends on the DMV clerk, sounds stupid, I know, but believe it or not, there is no uniformity at the DMV.
There is one more way, if you know a licensed Junk Dealer or licensed Auto Dismantler, you could JUNK OUT the vehicle, buy it back on an Aquisition Number from the junk yard, and all fees would go away, the only thing is it would have a junk title and you would have to get a Brake and Light Inspection, and a DMV inspection.
Sorry, but the DMV is the greatest BOONDOGLE of any State Agency in the history of Government.
Hope this helps.
Mark out

Moneypitt
01-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Mark, good to see someone with an "inside " sorce of info.. And yes the Ca. DMV is a prime example of how to really screw up a fairly simple task. Why do we, as citizens of this fair state, allow this moronic process to continue. I think I should become Arnolds new DMV process adviser. What really frosts me is the fee for non operation. If I don't regester a vehicle, the DMV has to do nothing! So why do I have to make work for them by filing prior notice that I'm not going to drive the car, and of course, pay them...Moneypitt

Mandelon
01-12-2004, 07:24 AM
:( :( :(

raff
01-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Mandelon, Check your PM might be able to help.
Mark out