PDA

View Full Version : I have a "Dynamic Diesel"!!

OGShocker
01-12-2004, 09:21 AM
On Monday, January 5, I met with STVKeith in Las Vegas, to have some work done on my DuraMax. HOLY SHIT! I was out of there in two hours and drove to Sun Valley Idaho. The truck performed better than I could have hoped! Fuel mileage was not bad even after I "played" with the HP setting and melted my new Procomps (tires) a few times.
On the way back home I drove on average, 75.2 MPH including stop times according to my GPS and the truck NEVER skipped a beat. Top speed was increased from 94.6 MPH to 108 MPH. When I was a mile from the house some dipstick thought he would right lane pass me at a light in his rice grinder..... Last time I saw him he was in a cloud of gray/black smoke 200+ yards behind me, no doubt scratching his head!
My thanks to Keith and everyone at Diesel Dynamics.:)

superV
01-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Sweet:cool:

Jordy
01-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
When I was a mile from the house some dipstick thought he would right lane pass me at a light in his rice grinder..... Last time I saw him he was in a cloud of gray/black smoke 200+ yards behind me, no doubt scatching his head!
That's always my favorite part. Then they either have a puzzled look or won't look at you at all if they catch up at the next light. I love it. :D

OGShocker
01-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
That's always my favorite part. Then they either have a puzzled look or won't look at you at all if they catch up at the next light. I love it. :D
Thank you for your recommending Diesel Dynamics Jordy... I owe you a beer... You will owe me a set of 35" Procomps..:D

Jordy
01-12-2004, 03:36 PM
You will owe me a set of 35" Procomps..:D
I just got done putting a new set of 285 BFG Mud Terrains on and it's all Keiths fault they were bald in a month. :D

MagicMtnDan
01-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Man, I hate hearing that! I wanta diesel bad! They didn't offer it in the Avalanche and I didn't want the pickup truck ride. I've got the big block 8.1L gasser and it's got plenty of power but she drinks gas like JetBoatRich posts around here :D
Someday GM will put the Duramax and Allison in the Avalanche and Suburban (and Tahoe? that'll be a monster) and all will be right in the world. :cool:

STV_Keith
01-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Someday GM will put the Duramax and Allison in the Suburban
Rumor is 2005.

TOBTEK
01-12-2004, 08:05 PM
On Monday, January 5, I met with STVKeith in Las Vegas, to have some work done on my DuraMax. HOLY SHIT! I was out of there in two hours and drove to Sun Valley Idaho. The truck performed better than I could have hoped! Fuel mileage was not bad even after I "played" with the HP setting and melted my new Procomps (tires) a few times.
On the way back home I drove on average, 75.2 MPH including stop times according to my GPS and the truck NEVER skipped a beat. Top speed was increased from 94.6 MPH to 108 MPH. When I was a mile from the house some dipstick thought he would right lane pass me at a light in his rice grinder..... Last time I saw him he was in a cloud of gray/black smoke 200+ yards behind me, no doubt scratching his head!
so what all did you do? Edge juice, and what else? did you do the hotbox with attitiude? exuast system, air intake, injectors????.....I also want to do all this. Fill us in! Thanks.

Jordy
01-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by TOBTEK
so what all did you do? Edge juice, and what else? did you do the hotbox with attitiude? exuast system, air intake, injectors????.....I also want to do all this. Fill us in! Thanks.
Hey Toby, off the top of my head (he posted it on RiverRatLife) he did the Edge with the Attitude, exhaust and airbox/intake. Certainly brings them to life. :D

TOBTEK
01-13-2004, 08:38 AM
thanks J/P.......ya think its worth doing the "HOTBOX" + attitude? I hear that the new regular juice with attitude is the same as the old system with the hotbox?????? how will the allison hold up with all this extra power?

OGShocker
01-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks for answering Tobtek, Jordy.
I think I once heard the Allison 1000 series is capable of handling 900+ ft lb torque and 750 HP. With that said I am not sure by whom or how these tests were conducted. If you need more power than the Diesel Dymanics kit puts out........ I might suggest a Peterbuilt.:D
PS. The DD kit has a "fuel down" mode that shuts the fuel off to the engine which lightens the the load on shifting.

Party Cat
01-13-2004, 09:20 AM
thanks J/P.......ya think its worth doing the "HOTBOX" + attitude? I hear that the new regular juice with attitude is the same as the old system with the hotbox?????? how will the allison hold up with all this extra power?
The Attitude is well worth the money....for $300...ya get EGT and the de-fuel dealio....Kinda almost RD proof in the diesel world....set the EGT cutoff and the puter will drop the power if your EGT's get too high....

TOBTEK
01-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks for answering Tobtek, Jordy.
I think I once heard the Allison 1000 series is capable of handling 900+ ft lb torque and 750 HP. With that said I am not sure by whom or how these tests were conducted. If you need more power than the Diesel Dymanics kit puts out........ I might suggest a Peterbuilt.:D
PS. The DD kit has a "fuel down" mode that shuts the fuel off to the engine which lightens the the load on shifting.
SORRY TO KEEP ASKING, BUT did you get a hotbox or just std juice with attutide? I only ask because I hear there is a big difference. Dont mean to keep asking, just want to if your this happy with the STD upgrade.
TOBTEK= starting to fill like phatcat:rolleyes:

Jordy
01-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Toby, I do believe that we (PC, OG, and myself) all have the same box, the hottest one with the Attitude display.
That is the only way to go and here's why:
Unlike a gas motor where you throw more fuel on the fire and it starts running fat and you ultimatly lose gobs of horsepower and performance, a diesel will continue to build power the more fuel you throw at it, that is, until the weakest link lets go. That is why it is important to have a pyro at the bare minimum, so you can monitor the EGT and avoid a meltdown, be it your downpipe from the turbo, the turbo itself or even a head. The nice thing about the Attitude is that it is indeed RD proof. You set an upper limit and it will start backing fuel out of the equation until you're down to a safe temperature range.

Jordy
01-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
WTF is RD Proof?
RD
Do you really want an answer to that? :D :D :D

Party Cat
01-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Toby, I do believe that we (PC, OG, and myself) all have the same box, the hottest one with the Attitude display.
That is the only way to go and here's why:
Unlike a gas motor where you throw more fuel on the fire and it starts running fat and you ultimatly lose gobs of horsepower and performance, a diesel will continue to build power the more fuel you throw at it, that is, until the weakest link lets go. That is why it is important to have a pyro at the bare minimum, so you can monitor the EGT and avoid a meltdown, be it your downpipe from the turbo, the turbo itself or even a head. The nice thing about the Attitude is that it is indeed RD proof. You set an upper limit and it will start backing fuel out of the equation until you're down to a safe temperature range.
I dunno about you Jordy...but I know that OG and myself have the regular Edge Juice box...30-50-70-90 hp gains with 125 level with the addition of the Attitude dealio....
I think the 'hot box' gives ya another 25hp at the top level for a 150 hp gain.....

Party Cat
01-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
WTF is RD Proof?
RD
See Jordy's post above :D :D

Jordy
01-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Hmm, I don't know then. I just paid for what Kieth set on the desk and then he was back into the shop to do the tedious install. :D

Ziggy
01-13-2004, 11:54 AM
STVKieth,
You doing the upgrades on PowerStrokers too? 7.3 version.

STV_Keith
01-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Toby, none of the ones that have come through me are HOT + Attitude. EGT city if you do that. Edge will still upgrade the standard box to a "HOT" for an additional $300, and you have to sign a waiver about "if it blows up, I'm responsible" kinda thing.
The Allison will take about 400-425hp/850+ft-lbs before going into limp mode, where it basically goes into neutral. The module does look at the same slippage number (can display it on the Attitude for you if you wish) and will reduce power if slippage is detected. It will then attempt to give back the power as long as slippage isn't further detected. Built in safety feature.
PartyCat, the Attitude now costs only $270!
Ziggy, yep, we have stuff for the 7.3's as well. Check the website: http://www.dieseldynamics.com

OGShocker
01-13-2004, 01:09 PM
SORRY TO KEEP ASKING, BUT did you get a hotbox or just std juice with attutide? I only ask because I hear there is a big difference. Dont mean to keep asking, just want to if your this happy with the STD upgrade.
TOBTEK= starting to fill like phatcat:rolleyes:
Sorry for the delay in answering but, this little thing called work is messing with my post time.
I went with the Jordy special! I am VERY happy with it. Edge with Attitude, 4" exhaust and AirBox.
OGS

Jordy
01-13-2004, 04:46 PM
I went with the Jordy special!
I'm afraid to even ask. :rolleyes:
The only difference between what I have and what you got in your special is my stainless Gibson exhaust and the K&N cold air kit (which strikes me as odd because how often is the air in phoenix cold anyway). :D

MagicMtnDan
01-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Caterpillar has a diesel motor that gets put into medium duty trucks and motorhomes. I think it would be cool to have this motor in a pickup (I think it's their C7 motor) - I believe it puts out 300HP and 860lb-ft of torque stock. Imagine what you could do with that! I want one!

Jordy
01-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Caterpillar has a diesel motor that gets put into medium duty trucks and motorhomes. I think it would be cool to have this motor in a pickup (I think it's their C7 motor) - I believe it puts out 300HP and 860lb-ft of torque stock. Imagine what you could do with that! I want one!
No you don't. The problem with the new Cat's, at least the bigger ones is they went to a twin turbo set up (they call it Acert) to pass the new stricter emissions regulations. From that standpoint, the heat generated from a twin turbo setup has been enough to burn trucks to the ground. Bad news.

MagicMtnDan
01-13-2004, 07:03 PM
No you don't. The problem with the new Cat's, at least the bigger ones is they went to a twin turbo set up (they call it Acert) to pass the new stricter emissions regulations. From that standpoint, the heat generated from a twin turbo setup has been enough to burn trucks to the ground. Bad news.
Hey Jordy, I don't know if you're a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge (Cummins) guy but do you have a preference for oil burner from those companies? Which one's the best and why?
I wish I bought a diesel and am just curious which one you think is best and what kind of power they can put out once "reasonable modifications" are done to 'em.

mmered8299
01-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I just got done putting on the ATS turbo housing and added the Wicked Wheel on my PSD. Man, is it loud now. I really winds up and I dont loose any power in 4th!:eek:

Jordy
01-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey Jordy, I don't know if you're a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge (Cummins) guy but do you have a preference for oil burner from those companies? Which one's the best and why?
I've always been a Chevy guy and I'm very partial to the Allison, so the choice was easy. For the whole package I don't think you can beat a Chevy/GM with the Duramax.
Yeah, the Cummin's is a proven motor, but (you knew it was coming) the tranny is the weak link once you start to crank up the power and I'm of the belief (the old ones were notorious) that the truck will fall apart around the motor.
The new 6.0 POSD doesn't impress me. It's a new motor and has it's fair share of bugs that will eventually be worked out, however you'll still have a sub-par 5 speed tranny that seems to be a throw back to the old GM 700R4, that is, you're doing good to get 40K out of it. So if you make it 3000 miles without popping an injector or two, and don't have the crank break when you turn it up a bit, you can always look forward to the tranny going out on ya. ;)

TOBTEK
01-13-2004, 09:41 PM
THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS GUYS, dont mean to come off like "PHATCAT":D just really want to know the skinny on this.
Keith, with the whole nine yards...new HOTBOX plus attitude, intake, and exuast which is like plus 150hp have there been many problems? That would really suck to melt down somewhere!
has there been a dyno test for total torque with everything added?

SoCalOffshore
01-13-2004, 09:50 PM
And what does a package like that cost? Does it make allot of smoke? MY Duramax doesn't even smell, let alone smoke.

STV_Keith
01-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Yeah, the Cummin's is a proven motor, but (you knew it was coming) the tranny is the weak link once you start to crank up the power
I will assume you are speaking of the automatic. You know, there are two different manuals available as well. THe 6-speed is just about bulletproof, and really the best way to go if you tow heavy or often. With that and a good clutch, I've seen trucks over 700rwhp/1400ft-lbs with no breakage issues. Same for upgraded autos, but they are kinda spendy to do (around $3500) - but man do they rock.

STV_Keith
01-14-2004, 07:58 AM
Keith, with the whole nine yards...new HOTBOX plus attitude, intake, and exuast which is like plus 150hp have there been many problems? That would really suck to melt down somewhere!
has there been a dyno test for total torque with everything added?
I have not tested a hot Juice w/Attitude myself. The old Hot Juice was good for what the current standard Juice + Attitude makes. That setup on level 5 (125hp/300ft-lbs) will already get the EGT's way up there to where the unit will have to defuel on a pull, so why do the HOT upgrade? My suggestion would be to start with the base unit and if you HAVE to have the HOT, you can always upgrade it later.
E-mail/PM me privately for the RiverRatLife.com/boater special pricing. :)

STV_Keith
01-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
And what does a package like that cost? Does it make allot of smoke? MY Duramax doesn't even smell, let alone smoke.
E-mail/PM me for the RiverRatLife/boater special pricing. :) While it can smoke depending on what setting you have the "responsiveness" set to, you can tailor it to your liking. One of the settings (#2) is CARB approved. 3, 4 & 5 are more aggressive (more smoke/throttle response).

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 03:58 PM
The new 6.0 POSD doesn't impress me. It's a new motor and has it's fair share of bugs that will eventually be worked out, however you'll still have a sub-par 5 speed tranny that seems to be a throw back to the old GM 700R4, that is, you're doing good to get 40K out of it. So if you make it 3000 miles without popping an injector or two, and don't have the crank break when you turn it up a bit, you can always look forward to the tranny going out on ya
With all fairness that's a little harsh, and let me tell ya why. I'm not a ford fan but my dad replaced his 97 PSD with a 2003 6.0 recently. He ordered it as soon as the new engine was available. The ECM and injectors had to be replaced right away, which bothered me, but that's what happens with a brand new engine sometimes. In September he and my Mom took a two month trip towing their 34ft fifth wheel. Remember, the truck had less than 2000 miles on it when they left and I was worried about it breaking down on them. During the trip they logged over 11,000 miles from California all the way to Connecticutt and back with a lot of side trips. They had NO problems at all. None. Not even a burp. My Dad told me the transmission was awesome. He left it in tow mode with the cruise control on and all he had to do was steer. It downshifted going up hills and geared itself accordingly coming down. It's so smooth you can't even feel it shift. The tranny in his 97 was a POS but this one works beautifully. You can say what you want but that whole experience impressed me. I'm a GMC man because their interior and styling is the best, but all the automotive magazines and publications all agree the Ford powertrain can't be beat for towing and off roading.

STV_Keith
01-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
all the automotive magazines and publications all agree the Ford powertrain can't be beat for towing and off roading.
From a high-performance standpoint, the 6-speed/drivetrain in the Dodge is the one that is the best. I've seen them take the most abuse and live.

Jordy
01-14-2004, 04:15 PM
but all the automotive magazines and publications all agree the Ford powertrain can't be beat for towing and off roading.
I think you're exagerating a bit. I've never seen ALL of any magazine agree on anything, I don't care if you're talking about trucks, boats, electronics, breast implants.
I was asked my opinion and gave it. The motor part, all the injectors and the ECM? Just about what I said. As far as the tranny, I did say around 40K didn't I? There are exceptions to every rule. I had a great 6.5 Chevy diesel. I know of others that should have been sold for scrap. I'm going off the majority or reports I've seen, read about, or heard about, granted I don't put alot of weight behind what I hear about either.
Keith, as far as the Dodge, I was indeed making reference to the auto tranny. :D

Ziggy
01-14-2004, 04:36 PM
With all fairness that's a little harsh, and let me tell ya why. I'm not a ford fan but my dad replaced his 97 PSD with a 2003 6.0 recently. He ordered it as soon as the new engine was available. The ECM and injectors had to be replaced right away, which bothered me, but that's what happens with a brand new engine sometimes. In September he and my Mom took a two month trip towing their 34ft fifth wheel. Remember, the truck had less than 2000 miles on it when they left and I was worried about it breaking down on them. During the trip they logged over 11,000 miles from California all the way to Connecticutt and back with a lot of side trips. They had NO problems at all. None. Not even a burp. My Dad told me the transmission was awesome. He left it in tow mode with the cruise control on and all he had to do was steer. It downshifted going up hills and geared itself accordingly coming down. It's so smooth you can't even feel it shift. The tranny in his 97 was a POS but this one works beautifully. You can say what you want but that whole experience impressed me. I'm a GMC man because their interior and styling is the best, but all the automotive magazines and publications all agree the Ford powertrain can't be beat for towing and off roading.
Now in my case I've seen just the opposite. One of my tech's bought a new 6.0 PSD and has had nothing but oil leaks(so far 4) and the injectors replaced. Thats with just a few thousand miles. Crazy thing is Ford seems poised to repurchase these things, and fast. He called Cust.Relations just to bitch a little and they(without being asked) offered to start repurchase paperwork right then and there, including replacing any aftermarket products he's installed(i.e. lift, roll-along, etc.). He declined for now cuz he really likes the truck and wants to give 'em another shot.
On the other hand, my 7.3 has been flawless, leak free and trouble free 100%.....and Jordy, its got 41k on it and tranny is A+ Ok dokey....but then I also am very aware of their "weakness" so I've serviced it 3 times in that period. I tow fairly regularly and also tow with the cab-over on it....thats quite the load. Oh, and thats with 35's on it and NO regearing. Learned my lesson on my last F250.
STV--thanks for the link, I'll check it out:)

Jordy
01-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
On the other hand, my 7.3 has been flawless, leak free and trouble free 100%.....and Jordy, its got 41k on it and tranny is A+ Ok dokey....
The 7.3 was a great motor. Time tested and proven. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they only available with the 4 speed (E40D or something along those lines)? The one I'm talking about problems with is the new 5 speed that was thrown out to compete with the Allison.
Like I said before, I was asked for my opinion. I could care less what anyone drives. I can however offer an educated opinion based upon what I've seen and experienced. If you're happy with your truck, cool. You're paying/paid for it, you should be happy with it right?

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 05:07 PM
Let me modify what I said. All the publications I've READ say the same thing. The Duramax doesn't have enough usable RPM and the Dodge suffers from it's 4 speed tranny. The Ford will pull at a higher speed in 4th gear while the Dodge and Duramax have to either lug in overdrive or slow down to pull 3rd/4th. They also said the Ford off-roads better because of the solid front end and incresed ground clearance.Don't get me wrong, I'd never drive a Ford because their interiors are uncomfortable and outdated. I'd get a GMC and go see Keith. I'd rather make more power at a lower RPM like my big big truck does. Better fuel mileage and less wear. You're right about opinions but to say the new PSD is junk and will fall apart hasn't been proven yet. I have heard, however, that a redesigned or refurbished version might be replacing the 6.0, either a newer version of the 7.3 or something in between.

hot_diggity_dog
01-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by STV_Keith
I will assume you are speaking of the automatic. You know, there are two different manuals available as well. THe 6-speed is just about bulletproof, and really the best way to go if you tow heavy or often. With that and a good clutch, I've seen trucks over 700rwhp/1400ft-lbs with no breakage issues. Same for upgraded autos, but they are kinda spendy to do (around $3500) - but man do they rock.
I have the automatic with a tricked out tranny with some major HP's on the old Dodge.
And there isn't a problem with anything. 6yrs old with 175,000 miles.
HDD

Ziggy
01-14-2004, 05:22 PM
The 7.3 was a great motor. Time tested and proven. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they only available with the 4 speed (E40D or something along those lines)? The one I'm talking about problems with is the new 5 speed that was thrown out to compete with the Allison.
Like I said before, I was asked for my opinion. I could care less what anyone drives. I can however offer an educated opinion based upon what I've seen and experienced. If you're happy with your truck, cool. You're paying/paid for it, you should be happy with it right?
Damn right, the 7.3 is bullet proof, basic motor design has been around ages, it may be heavier but I'll take that over being worried all the time. From my understanding the tranny is a upgraded E4OD, higher oil pressure than the old ones...which is what I had my trouble with in my old F250/460ci. The lower oil pressure would shift nice and smooth but they also called it a "lazy transmission" for the same reason, much more slippage which burned up the clutches way faster.
I wasn't bustin on ya just a little trickle of fun since you knocked on it earlier. ;) :D

Ziggy
01-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by hot_diggity_dog
I have the automatic with a tricked out tranny with some major HP's on the old Dodge.
HDD
Yeah, yeah:rolleyes: :D Do something about that avatar HDD, that chicks eyes are trippin me out.....it looks like the lights(highbeams) are on but nobody is home.:D

mbrown2
01-14-2004, 05:25 PM
HDD
Now there is an example of somebody really getting their money out of their truck...and when I saw it at the Gas Station in Havasu it looked in good shape:D

Jordy
01-14-2004, 05:31 PM
You're right about opinions but to say the new PSD is junk and will fall apart hasn't been proven yet. I have heard, however, that a redesigned or refurbished version might be replacing the 6.0, either a newer version of the 7.3 or something in between.
I never said it was junk. Now you're exagerating. Once again, ALL magazines will never agree on anything. If it's all magazines you've read, perhaps you should broaden your reading wealth a little bit. For example, I've never seen ***boat give a bad review on a boat, does that mean that it doesn't have problems? It's all in the selective reading that one chooses to do.
But I will say how great can a motor be if after a year they're talking about a 6.3 (I think it was) to replace it?

hot_diggity_dog
01-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Damn right, the 7.3 is bullet proof, basic motor design has been around ages, it may be heavier but I'll take that over being worried all the time. From my understanding the tranny is a upgraded E4OD, higher oil pressure than the old ones...which is what I had my trouble with in my old F250/460ci. The lower oil pressure would shift nice and smooth but they also called it a "lazy transmission" for the same reason, much more slippage which burned up the clutches way faster.
I wasn't bustin on ya just a little trickle of fun since you knocked on it earlier. ;) :D
When I had my F250 I put so much Hourse power to the wheels, I had to replace the tranny. Went to Art Carr and had them build me a sweet E4OD that was bullet proof. They told me that on those trannies, if you set the pads to the factory specs, as soon as you put a few miles on it, the gap is too far apart, and just gets worse. AC set it up to account for this and the added HP.
I think as with most things, including OUTDRIVES, the more HP you put to them you know somethings got to give!!!
Hot (Just throw more Freaking dollars at it) Diggity Dog;) :D

mbrown2
01-14-2004, 05:38 PM
I am still not sure if they got all the bugs out of the 6.0's but the ones that show no signs of the bugs seem to run well from the folks that have them...
The problem with the 6.0's caused Ford to back its relationship with International on the development of a smaller displacement diesel for the F150 model...That is the next race between the big three to get a smaller displacement deisel in the half ton chassis...
If and when I get a diesel....it will be a tough choice given the new Duramax Motor and the Dodge maybe getting a real quad cab...I am leaning towards the Chevy-DMAX, but that new Cumming Engine seems pretty nice as well if they had a real backseat....
Oh well lots of test drives at the end of next year, I figure I can wait that long...

STV_Keith
01-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they only available with the 4 speed (E40D or something along those lines)?
You are wrong. :D The optional ZF 6-speed has been available since 1999 for all F250/350/450/550 trucks.

SoCalOffshore
01-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Ok, lets imagine this. 4 people in the crew cab, the bed full of crap for a week in Havasu. Being towed a 32 foot, twin engined, heavy as hell Schiada Offshore sitting on a heavy duty triple axle trailer. Cruising to Havasu at 75 mph and its 116 degrees. I would say the DMax pulls pretty hard and could pull even harder and faster if I step on the gas pedal further. :D

Jordy
01-15-2004, 07:20 AM
You are wrong. :D The optional ZF 6-speed has been available since 1999 for all F250/350/450/550 trucks.
The ZF is a manual I believe. I'm talking auto's, mainly autos with 5 speeds, here again Keith so :p
The ZF is an interesting manual at that. It only runs 10 wt (read ATF) fluid. Anything heavier will melt the nylon needle bearing retainers, at least on the older ones and they're not cheap to replace either.

STV_Keith
01-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Ok, lets imagine this. 4 people in the crew cab, the bed full of crap for a week in Havasu. Being towed a 32 foot, twin engined, heavy as hell Schiada Offshore sitting on a heavy duty triple axle trailer. Cruising to Havasu at 75 mph and its 116 degrees. I would say the DMax pulls pretty hard and could pull even harder and faster if I step on the gas pedal further. :D
The guy with the 6-speed Dodge and a few mods will go by you. :p

hot_diggity_dog
01-15-2004, 09:56 AM
The guy with the 6-speed Dodge and a few mods will go by you. :p
Keith maybe you could explain it better.
If you had the upgraded Cummins motor and a DTT trans in your Ford or Chevy you could keep up with the Dodges:p :p :p
In the last few years I have had only one truck out run me on Rice road.
A Ford Dually, I didn't want to run my truck that hard for 100 miles, so I let him pass me.
Hot (You Cheby and Ford guy's are OK) Diggity Dog
:cool:

Ziggy
01-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Keith maybe you could explain it better.
If you had the upgraded Cummins motor and a DTT trans in your Ford or Chevy you could keep up with the Dodges:p :p :p
In the last few years I have had only one truck out run me on Rice road.
A Ford Dually, I didn't want to run my truck that hard for 100 miles, so I let him pass me.
Hot (You Cheby and Ford guy's are OK) Diggity Dog
:cool:
Glenn, that was you in that Black Dodge?? :D ;) My Ford runs just fine don't it?? J/K, wasn't me plus I'm past the part of my life that I have to pass anyone who might be in front of me(God that was hard to overcome :( :mad: ). Its all just a matter of 15-20 minutes difference over the long drive...chances are I'll be right behind ya at the Vidal Junction stop sign anyhow.:p Can't tell ya how many times I've been passed along Rice only to be a few cars behind them at that stop:rolleyes:

hot_diggity_dog
01-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Glenn, that was you in that Black Dodge?? :D ;) My Ford runs just fine don't it?? J/K, wasn't me plus I'm past the part of my life that I have to pass anyone who might be in front of me(God that was hard to overcome :( :mad: ). Its all just a matter of 15-20 minutes difference over the long drive...chances are I'll be right behind ya at the Vidal Junction stop sign anyhow.:p Can't tell ya how many times I've been passed along Rice only to be a few cars behind them at that stop:rolleyes:
Zig true to some extent. I drive very efficient the whole way..
I have no urge to pass anyone except for the ones driving to slow.
Fallbrook to the London Bridge is just 3-1/2 hours away consistently. With the wife now that's a different story.
Let's just say you can add another hour.
HDD

OGShocker
01-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Fallbrook to the London Bridge is just 3-1/2 hours away consistently. With the wife now that's a different story.
HDD
After I left Diesel Dynamics, I drove to Sun Valley ID. I was there for four days then headed for the house. I made the 785 mile trip in just under 11 hours total time! With my wife it is a 15/16 hour trip.:)

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
but that new Cumming Engine seems pretty nice....
haven't heard of the cumming engine yet.:D which manufacturer uses that one?;)
I know you meant cummins it was just funny as hell reading it the way you had it written
Omega

Ziggy
01-15-2004, 02:57 PM
HDD
Add the extra 45-1hr for me to get out to Fallbrook and thats about what it takes me---my total drive time is usually in the 4 1/2 to 5 hr range. My wife will grin and bear it with me but I'm tamer than I used to be. Certain stretches where I'll step it up a bit and other sections I'll just go with the flow. I think the stretch I drive the slowest now is from Parker to the dam, seen to many blue/red lights in the area. And even all the way into Havasu I don't push my luck, been pulled over there one time to many. The last time the Cop was very cool, it was real late(2AMish) and I was bookin' around 80-85 past Sandpoint, several miles later he lighted me up and checked me over...no drinkys :cool: . He just gave me a stern warning about the speed(don't think he actually clocked me) and the headons that occur there, pointed at the lake and said "it'll be there in the morning". His good attitude kinda opened my eyes and I have been reasonable thru there ever since. Like I said before, I figured the difference in time it took me going fast vs reasonable and it always amounted to 15-20 minutes total......once I arrive its easier for me to get to sleep too cuz I'm not all tense from the drive.

SoCalOffshore
01-15-2004, 03:57 PM
The guy with the 6-speed Dodge and a few mods will go by you.
But, not with a smoother ride. :D

Jordy
01-15-2004, 06:54 PM
The guy with the 6-speed Dodge and a few mods will go by you.
But, not with a smoother ride. :D
Not to mention, he'll still be driving a Dodge... :rolleyes: :p :D :D :D

SoCalOffshore
01-15-2004, 08:49 PM
LOL.; How do you post the previous quote? I drive a Chevy, so explain it slow :D

DogHouse
01-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Not to mention, he'll still be driving a Dodge... :rolleyes: :p :D :D :D
You can tell the Dodge/Cummins driver by the contented smile on his face that comes from knowing that he won't have to take the truck back to the dealer every couple thousand miles to fix the latest little GM problem!
:D

OGShocker
01-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by DogHouse
You can tell the Dodge/Cummins driver by the contented smile on his face that comes from knowing that he won't have to take the truck back to the dealer every couple thousand miles to fix the latest little GM problem!
Why would a Dodge guy take his truck back for GM fixes?:rolleyes: Some peoples kids confuse me:)

Chase
01-16-2004, 01:15 PM
I look forward to seeing you this summer with this "hotrod"

Jordy
01-16-2004, 01:35 PM
LOL.; How do you post the previous quote? I drive a Chevy, so explain it slow :D
Hit the little button in the lower right hand corner of your screen that says "QUOTE"
On the diesel front, I drove my personal truck into work today and took one of the service writers for a ride around the block. Needless to say he was amazed at the power out of a truck the size of mine. Perhaps it was roasting the tires off the line, roasting them mostly through second (it would have been all the way through second but someone got in my way). When I dropped him back off at the shop he said "Damn I gotta get me one of these." :D

SoCalOffshore
01-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Hit the little button in the lower right hand corner of your screen that says "QUOTE"
On the diesel front, I drove my personal truck into work today and took one of the service writers for a ride around the block. Needless to say he was amazed at the power out of a truck the size of mine. Perhaps it was roasting the tires off the line, roasting them mostly through second (it would have been all the way through second but someone got in my way). When I dropped him back off at the shop he said "Damn I gotta get me one of these." :D
Thanks. My DMax is still stock and runs great. One of these days I will get the Juice.

Outnumbered
01-16-2004, 05:18 PM
A couple points in defense of the Dodge:
The auto tranny issues were mostly with the pre-2002 1/2 models. The new auto has been re-designed and is much stouter than the old auto. STV can give you details on this. Unless you are running monster power you will be fine.
The Cummins has a 100k warranty.
The Dodge is about $5k cheaper than a comparable D-max/Chevy.
The Chevys are lowriders and MUST be lifted for any decent size tires. You can run 305/17s on a stock Dodge.
The solid axle front end is cheaper to lift and much more bullet proof. I grenaded the IFS front of my lifted 92 Chevy 4x4 in 1993. I don't think the design has changed much. The IFS is weak compared to the solid axle stuff.
If it wasn't a good set-up the big rigs would not have been using them since the begining of time.
OL

OGShocker
01-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Chase
I look forward to seeing you this summer with this "hotrod"
We will be there Chase. This time you'll need to come to the lake. We will be in Pallisier(sp) July 11 to the 25. Hunt us down and we will buy a few beers.

Chase
01-19-2004, 11:33 AM
I will be in Kelowna from the 9-19th of July...hopefully we can still hook up.

OGShocker
01-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Chase
I will be in Kelowna from the 9-19th of July...hopefully we can still hook up.
I hope so. We will be in Sask all of July.
I don't think our boat would be very popular in Kelowna:eek:

Chase
01-19-2004, 02:19 PM
Why Not??

OGShocker
01-19-2004, 02:31 PM
I thought Kelowna, BC, was where they beat the group of american kids half to death last summer...
I may be wrong, it has been known to happen....:D
Funny I am JACKING my own thread....LOL

COELIMINATOR
01-19-2004, 04:05 PM
I run the Hot Juice and Attitude and in level 5 you can get to 16-1700* egts in a hurry. BTW, the truck is an 03 GMC 4X4 Short Box Crew Cab. I run 37" BFG Krawlers which contribute a little to the high EGTs when empty. When towing I set the Attitude to 1350* and let it go from there. The Attitude makes towing easy for dumbies like me. I ran the Quadzilla 150hp box before and while it worked very well, I like all the features and safety parameters the Attitude has to offer. My 02 Sam

al cole'holic
01-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by COELIMINATOR
I run the Hot Juice and Attitude and in level 5 you can get to 16-1700* egts in a hurry. BTW, the truck is an 03 GMC 4X4 Short Box Crew Cab. I run 37" BFG Krawlers which contribute a little to the high EGTs when empty. When towing I set the Attitude to 1350* and let it go from there. The Attitude makes towing easy for dumbies like me. I ran the Quadzilla 150hp box before and while it worked very well, I like all the features and safety parameters the Attitude has to offer. My 02 Sam
..how's the performance? What do you tow?? Curious, I have about the same truck...:D

COELIMINATOR
01-20-2004, 07:29 AM
The performance is nothing short of amazing. It is incredible the difference between stock and level 3, let alone level 5. I tow a 30' Eliminator, a 32' camper trailer, a 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer and a few other toy haulers. It tows any of these units effortlessly. I have several friends with the 04 6.0 Fords with Juice and the Attitude, and the GMC and Ford are so close in performance we call it a draw. We sell 100s of these chips and boxes and to date I feel the Edge with Attitude offers something the others don't, built in safety parameters. I will not call it the "best" enhacement product, just the safest now. My 02. Sam