PDA

View Full Version : What ever happend to the boat manufacturer "TAHITI" ?

Tahiti Carribean
05-08-2002, 03:46 PM
Do any of you guys remember the boat manufacturer "Tahiti".
I recently purchased a 21' boat. The seller did not know much about the boat except that is was made by "Tahiti". The way I know it's a Tahiti is because it has the Tahiti logo on the side with a little head hunter type mask. Oddly enough the registration names the manufacturer of the boat as Catalina ( I know Catalina is a big company but on their web site they specify they only make Sail and other natural power boats). To make things even more confusing the trailer still has in some places the original factory decals that specify the vessel and hull# of the boat that trailer was made for. These decals specify a different name all together, "Tahiti Carribean". Anyways it really is not that important to know but it would be nice to figure out if the manufacturer is still in business and also to find out what other kinds of boats/accesories were made by this company. If anyone knows any web sites for Tahiti boats, I would appreciate the link.
Thanks http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

572Daytona
05-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Lots of Tahiti's still around mostly Jets but some outdrive and outboard models as well. Here is a thread with some Tahiti history in it.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000573.html

Pelon
05-09-2002, 05:41 PM
I bought a 16 foot Tahiti, but mine was repainted 6 months before I bought it and it lacks the little badges. My registration says Tahiti, but the tag reads Schuster boats, it has an address 8832 Ramona, Bellflower CA. That Address in probably not much good, my boat is a 1969.

stressedout
05-10-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Tahiti Carribean:
Do any of you guys remember the boat manufacturer "Tahiti".
I recently purchased a 21' boat. The seller did not know much about the boat except that is was made by "Tahiti". The way I know it's a Tahiti is because it has the Tahiti logo on the side with a little head hunter type mask. Oddly enough the registration names the manufacturer of the boat as Catalina ( I know Catalina is a big company but on their web site they specify they only make Sail and other natural power boats). To make things even more confusing the trailer still has in some places the original factory decals that specify the vessel and hull# of the boat that trailer was made for. These decals specify a different name all together, "Tahiti Carribean". Anyways it really is not that important to know but it would be nice to figure out if the manufacturer is still in business and also to find out what other kinds of boats/accesories were made by this company. If anyone knows any web sites for Tahiti boats, I would appreciate the link.
Thanks http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif Tahiti Caribean was made by hardin marine,They are no longer in business, I think they went out around 95.I have a 87 caribean by hardin marine,I bought it new, it's been a great boat.Hardin marine called some of them tahiti and some were called caribean. Most of them were put on competive trailers.Hope this helps.

SD MIKEY
05-21-2002, 10:28 PM
I thought they were being sold at aftershock in riverside, ca. They said they were selling them. Saw their ad in the boat trader mag.

Tahiti Day Cruiser
05-22-2002, 02:01 PM
Interesting,
I will have to stop and take a look at their factory to see what's really going on. Thanks everyone for the informative input.
Much appreciated

Tahiti 135 Merc
06-27-2002, 09:36 PM
My Tahiti is a `70,16' with a 135 Merc outboard.It`s all original,green metal flake,black seats.This will be the last season in this condition,she`s being restored this fall.Anyhow,I remember seeing the Tahiti"factory" from the 605 freeway in Bellflower when I was a kid. The boat has been in our family since May `72.

DesertDog
06-28-2002, 02:48 PM
I saw a 21' boat at the gas station the other day and my first thought was that it was a Carribean with updated graphics but it had the Aftershock name on it so I assume they do have the molds.

shockwavebd
06-30-2002, 04:12 PM
I saw an add in the boat trader some ones got the molds

Tahiti Day Cruiser
07-03-2002, 04:05 PM
I went back and searched the "Tahit" strings and found lots of usefull info. Especially one particular string from "OldRigger " with lots of info about these boats. I'm really curious now because I read about how Tahiti, Hawaiian and most of the other manufacturers oin the 70's used to splash the hulls from other designers and change relatively few things. This got me thinking because I have had a few people look at my boat and compared it to and old Hallet design.
Did they say how much they were asking for the Hull and what size it was?

Back To Havasu
08-12-2002, 10:39 AM
It is my recollection that Tahiti and Carribean were independent boat builders in the 60s and 70s in Southern California, but as their star flickered, Hardin Oldsmobile in Anaheim, California, through its subsidiary, Hardin Marine, acquired these, and other selected molds, including the legendary Spectra 20 mold. They then marketed the products under various original and/or new and/or combination of original names, until they too went out of business.

Tahiti Day Cruiser
08-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Hey Back To Havasu ,
You hit the nail right on the head. After seeing an old magazine add with a scheamtic drawing of the Spectra 20' I could not believe my eyes. I have a 1982 21' Tahiti (powered by an outdrive which I guess is pretty rare for Tahiti's) which looks almost identical to the Spectra 20'. I compared the diagram too my boat and besides the overall size of the boat and a few accesories that had been added to the Tahiti. It looks like the same boat. Anybody know if the Tahiti name was used with any of the Spectra molds that Hardin marine made. Or better yet does anyone know a good website with specific info about the Spectra 20' molds. I really would like to know for sure if I have one of those Spectra disguised as a Tahiti. Anyhow thanks for all the positive input - if " oldrigger " is around anywhere, I'm sure he could answer all this and more.
Thanks again :)
[ August 16, 2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Tahiti Day Cruiser ]

Rickster
08-16-2002, 06:41 PM
Best friend had a 16' Tahiti w/100 MERC would do 44 with reg prop at 4,000. Great little lake boat, skied 3-6 times a week.....1968-1973...He just sold the boat this spring in Colorado for a grand. There is the same hull with an inboard either on EBAY or some w/site I found 2 nites ago. I have a pic of a Small block Chevy Carribean at Canyon Lake in 62' that was solid deep royal blue with same color in a full width bench seat TUCK & ROLL MAN! Sure was a pretty boat!

tpk925
12-28-2010, 05:52 PM
I have a 1973 16' Tahiti (MISTY MEANER) with a factory 455 olds in it. Is there anyone else out there with one. Mine still runs great, well after a couple new engines. And one sinking. I have had it since 1979. I was 19 years old when I bought it. It needs a paint job but other then that she is in excellent condition. A very fun boat and it pulls water skiers better then any master craft.

Treep
02-03-2011, 07:16 AM
I have a Hardin Marine 21 Carribean. I am trying to find out any history about this boat as well. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks GT

cross_eyed
04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
speaking of tahiti i just got a 1976 tahiti 21' v-drive with a 383 big block the hull was made by bell model 20-sci/0 i cant find anything on this boat if anyone can tell me where to get some info on it that would be great ty for your time