PDA

View Full Version : 1972 16ft Sidewinder Info

Scott Rogers
01-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Hello All,
I recently posted on one other board about a "16ft Tahiti".
I was wrong. The boat is a Sidewinder made in Palo Alto Calif.
Does anyone know of a website I can get info on these boats.
I am in need of a windshield frame, and I also need some info on beefing up the transom. I am restoring an "85" 115 Merc for it.
Thanks for any help!
Scott

old rigger
01-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Scott,
Speciality Marine was a large supplier of those windshields for Tahiti. Tahiti had the same boat. Sidewinder popped the tahiti 16 bottom, added their own deck, (the wrap around windshield deck), and was off and running. Tahiti in turn, popped a mold off on one of their decks to add to thier own line. Tahiti was sued by sidewinder, but sidewinder was not sued by Tahiti. Go figure. Partly because the original 16 Tahiti bottom was splashed from a Glastron. Gil Gaska, who was Schusters first empolyee, was the one who popped the mold from the glastron after cutting down the boat and adding the little target on the sides and the SK style of deck.
Anyway, Speciality was bought out by L&L marine a few years back but as far as I know, you can still order a windshield and frame for your boat from them.
good luck
Oh yeah, their number, duh.....714 777 5505.

Scott Rogers
01-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Damn!!
Now that is what I call details! I love it.
I actually read some time back..the article you wrote about "Tahiti vs. the others. I found it fascinating. Thank you so much for that valuable piece of info.
Scott

DUCKY
01-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Hey Scott, If you want a super cool old boat to put that motor on, I've got a '71 Glastron GT140. It would be cheap as my landlord is kinda complaining. It would friggin fly with that motor on it! Here's a pic