PDA

View Full Version : Needing 427 ford block

vdriver4ever
01-13-2004, 07:34 AM
Picked up a 427 ford side oiler from my brother knowing it had a cracked block. As it turns out the crack is a little larger then what we are comfortable repairing. So now I am in need of a new block. Would prefer side oiler with screw in soft plugs.
If anyone knows of one for sale just drop me a note on here or PM me.
Thanks
Pat Minegar

01-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Try Genisis [sp] They make a reasonable priced sideoiler block with some improvements to the casting over the origional block. If a used block is more of what you want don't discount the centeroiler blocks. They oil just as good as the sideoiler below 7000-7500 rpm. If money is no object there is always the Shelby aluminum block or a Dove block. Since these blocks are becoming very hard to get I would consider getting the block you have repaired as long as its not in two pieces. There are alot of crack repairs that can be done both hot and cold to salvage what you have. Best place to get these repairs done is a H.D. diesel machine shop.

DansBlown73Nordic
01-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Just a thought, I have a guy here in town who does nothing but fix cracked blocks. He does work from all over the world. Im sure he could make the repair.
Is the block some rare Ford block?

01-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens
Just a thought, I have a guy here in town who does nothing but fix cracked blocks. He does work from all over the world. Im sure he could make the repair.
Is the block some rare Ford block? Yes

vdriver4ever
01-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the information. I will check on both. I would love to put an alluminum block in the boat but not sure I can afford one of those babies.... I am going to check them out though.

old rigger
01-14-2004, 01:44 PM
vdriver,
I wish this thread came up before this last sat.
There was a guy at the high performance swapmeet here in Long Beach that had a .030 over 427 sideoiler block, with screw in plugs, for 1500 bucks. Having a 428 in my own boat, I was interested and stood and looked on in awe for quite a while before it dawned on me on just how much deep shit I'd be in with my wife if I brought that thing home.
Didn't get a number, sorry.
Last year, and I told 058 this, there was a guy with a virgin 427 oiler still in cosmoline, NOS crank, rods, pistons, and a set of SOHC heads and all the covers. I don't remember there being an intake with it, but there could have been. He must of sold it, cause I've never seen him back. He wanted 10 grand for the deal.

LeE ss13
01-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey ... I saw that block, but I thought it said .017 over, which I thought was kind of odd. Saw SD013 there selling stuff. Great day.

old rigger
01-14-2004, 07:49 PM
I thought it said 030? Maybe I misread the little sign. I've never heard of 017.
I saw superdave too, also Flat Broke and Hackjob. There was supposed to be a guy selling license plate frames with SD, but he was a no show. Too bad, I was hoping to get one for the flatie. Didn't buy a thing, except for a SW boat speedo. Thought I had the Tach to match it in my stash of parts, got it home only to find out that I had the same speedo.....doh!

likwidsukr
01-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by old rigger
Thought I had the Tach to match it in my stash of parts, got it home only to find out that I had the same speedo.....doh!
LoL! Should of nabbed that 427 o-well would of been nice down in a t-bucket
;)

vdriver4ever
01-15-2004, 06:38 AM
Yeah a 427 ford side oiler for $1500.00 bucks would have been a deal.... At the advice of 058 I contacted Genesis 427 and they are making the block in cast and allum. The cast runs around $3200.00 and the allum. $4200.00. They come standard bore and ready to assemble. I have my motor builder (who builds all my our race car motors) calling them to make sure the specs are what we want. I am pretty sure that's the direction I am going to go. I never feel too comfortable buying something like this over e-bay. I am sure I will still have the block I have welded up for a spare or resale?

01-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by LeE ss13
Hey ... I saw that block, but I thought it said .017 over, which I thought was kind of odd. Saw SD013 there selling stuff. Great day. You very well could have seen a .017" over block. This makes a bore that will use a very common and easy to get Chevy piston and will also allow another bore to .030" for future use. Something to consider when these blocks are as hard to find and expensive as they are........OR, are you going to Turlock this year?

eraser
01-15-2004, 07:51 PM
the guy with the block at the swap meet is ron miller, ford power parts in buena park. 714-523-7900. www.fordpowerparts.com. I have seen him there several times. He always has some tasty old ford hipo stuff.