PDA

View Full Version : anybody know this boat??

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-14-2004, 08:40 AM
I talked to the owner and he said it came from California in 2000. just curious if anyone knew this boat or anything about it. For sale here in Texas and has kinda sparked my attention. 1978 southwind 19' tunnel dragster. Any helpful info on this hull would be great also. how much hp does it take to make these things run???
Omega
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523MVC-586S-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523MVC-585S-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523MVC-581S-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Darrin_Southwind_on_trailer2-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Darrin_Southwind_on_trailer-med.JPG

superdave013
01-14-2004, 10:11 AM
I bet it didn't leave CA with that diamond plate on the trailer.
You Texans and diamond plate. :rolleyes: :cool:

Greaser
01-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
You know us Texans are all about the Bling Bling
Hey Omega, where were those pics taken at?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
damn thing needs a pipe bumper on it too.;) I like the thinking behind it but if I bought it the diamond plate would definitely have to go!!!!:eek!:
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Greaser
You know us Texans are all about the Bling Bling
Hey Omega, where were those pics taken at?
I think somewhere down around Chorpus Christi. that is where the guy lives. nice boat but I think he is a little too proud of it for my wallett
Omega

Greaser
01-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Yea, but is a nice boat

mrgoslow
01-14-2004, 11:18 AM
pics taken on lake cc labor day weekend. to my knowledge owner has bigger fish to fry. now has a blown alky capsule boat. real pretty boat.

HavasuDreamin'
01-14-2004, 11:39 AM
The owner of that boat either posted on this board a while ago (probably 18-24 months), or a friend of his did. At that time he was stuck at about 87-88 mph and asking for advice on how to get more out of his set-up. Pretty boat, but for the price I saw on it recently, you could search around and probably find another one close in quality for about $4K-$5K less. My $.02

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-14-2004, 12:05 PM
that's kinda what I was thinking. he seems pretty firm on the price too!!!:eek: he says he has slips from Waco showing an 11 second time at 90 mph. that was with a blower. he since removed the blower and went with a tunnel ram to put in a backseat:confused:
Omega

Squirtcha?
01-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
that's kinda what I was thinking. he seems pretty firm on the price too!!!:eek: he says he has slips from Waco showing an 11 second time at 90 mph. that was with a blower. he since removed the blower and went with a tunnel ram to put in a backseat:confused:
Omega
O.k. now it makes sense. I've seen quite a few photos of that Southwind but it had a blower on it. Although I knew that the paint jobs looked exactly the same, I wasn't sure if they were the same boat or not due to the no blower thing.
If ya don't mind my asking, what's he want for it Omega?
Not interested.............................Just nosey!

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-14-2004, 02:43 PM
he wants 12,500 turn key 8,000 no motor. the motor is still set up for the blower with 7.75:1 cr and a solid lift blower cam. he is VERY firm on his price. clean boat but too much IMO!!!
Omega

Hotcrusader76
01-14-2004, 02:45 PM
damn thing needs a pipe bumper on it too.;) I like the thinking behind it but if I bought it the diamond plate would definitely have to go!!!!:eek!:
Omega
Ya know with a deer guard and a headache rack we might have a competive fish/ski set-up:D

mrgoslow
01-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Ya know with a deer guard and a headache rack we might have a competive fish/ski set-up[QUOTE]
dang, is that a poke @ my silver ford in the background or @ tx in general

Squirtcha?
01-14-2004, 03:32 PM
O.k. that make sense. Here's a shot of it with the blower on it.
It's a very nice boat and maybe if the blower were still on it the $12,000 wouldn't be so bad. It is a lot of money for a 1978 though.
http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/11mvc-407s-med.jpg
My buddy here in Phoenix has one and had to have some fairly extensive fiberglass repairs done to the doghouse on the back. It cracked in several places and leaked like a seive. His is a blown BBC with approximately 850 hp and he was running in the high 90's before he had a lean condition and fragged his brand new (three trips on it) blower motor.
I'm pretty sure bp is running 850 hp (naturally aspirated) and I believe he's run 105 mph at the track. His is setup much better than my buddy's here in Phoenix though.

565edge
01-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Omega bubble jet,I know that boat well.It was my brother-in laws and then went to a very good freind of mine who put around 1000hp to it before he sold it to the guy in texas.Sam who owned the boat in ca goes by eliminatya on the boards.He had a blown 572" chevy in it.He bought a 21' daytona and pulled the motor and pump and did a switch with the daytona.He then sold the southwind with the 468 and pump out of the daytona to the guy in texas.Superdave was right though,the diamond plate didnt come from cali.If you want performance info p.m. me.I dont want to start a bashing thread on a guys boat that is selling it.But if it was hbjets i would be all over it.:D .

HBjet
01-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Good to know you haven't changed 565!
Looks like too much boat for you Omega. Even if it wasn't, I don't think there is any Astro Turf in it. Speaking of Astro Turf, how did the new carpet come out? Any photo's?
For what he's asking, doesn't sound like he wants to sell it.
HBjet

HBjet
01-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
I'm pretty sure bp is running 850 hp (naturally aspirated) and I believe he's run 105 mph at the track. His is setup much better than my buddy's here in Phoenix though.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20bp001.jpg
Must be doing something right with a 700lb hull!
I think Chet calls it Magic.
HBjet

Cas
01-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
Must be doing something right with a 700lb hull!
I think Chet calls it Magic.
HBjet
I thought it was majic?

Jake W
01-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Cas don't tell me ,you are the spelling Nazi now.
Jake:D

Cs19
01-14-2004, 07:35 PM
how much hp does it take to make these things run???
Omega
ALOT. They are known for that.
I think they are perfect for a hotrod river boat..Bob races his and has it pretty dialed in on the 10 sec. program, so they obviously work for racing as well. (wonder what his motor would do in a light CP tunnell) :rolleyes: :D
To give you an idea, our 1980 SW has a touch over 600 horse and it runs good, but its not that fast IMO.Maybe 85 MPH.. Very fun to drive though...
Buy it omega. then you can come race all of us socal guys with our bogus motors.

moneysucker
01-14-2004, 09:42 PM
I have a '77 southwind drag tunnel it had a 468 with 600 HP and it was running 85. Blown they will run triple digits. It is clean but with the current motor set up it needs a blower or a rebuild and new headers to get the most possible HP. It is a very nice boat.

LakesOnly
01-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Wa-a-ay too much money/less motor.
It is my understanding that it takes damn near 1000HP to really get the SW Tunnel to air out.
Never seen one with a snoot AND diverter before...I heard they really don't need those things.
Look closely for stress cracks--particularly around the pod (most all have spidering in that area; it's the severity you're looking for).
LO

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-15-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by 565edge
Omega bubble jet,I know that boat well.It was my brother-in laws and then went to a very good freind of mine who put around 1000hp to it before he sold it to the guy in texas.Sam who owned the boat in ca goes by eliminatya on the boards.He had a blown 572" chevy in it.He bought a 21' daytona and pulled the motor and pump and did a switch with the daytona.He then sold the southwind with the 468 and pump out of the daytona to the guy in texas.Superdave was right though,the diamond plate didnt come from cali.If you want performance info p.m. me.I dont want to start a bashing thread on a guys boat that is selling it.But if it was hbjets i would be all over it.:D .
thanks 565 edge but as stated earlier he wants to much for it IMO so I think I will pass. you just don't see many boats like that for sale in Texas. how's your boat running? gonna be ready to put ole HBjet on the shore this spring??
Omega

TexasJet
01-15-2004, 04:52 AM
HBJet, you just had to start again didn't you? OBJ was all calmed down and being nice. Oh well- let the games begin.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-15-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by HBjet
Good to know you haven't changed 565!
Looks like too much boat for you Omega. Even if it wasn't, I don't think there is any Astro Turf in it. Speaking of Astro Turf, how did the new carpet come out? Any photo's?
For what he's asking, doesn't sound like he wants to sell it.
HBjet
no astro-turf that's why I think I will pass on it;) the new carpet is okay but doesn't have that same nostalgic feel as the astro turf did. I did put new astro turf in the engine compartment. :D(what can I say I am from Texas) interior is out right now due to a gas tank leak. As soon as I get tank repaired or new ones built and put together you will be first one to get pics
did you ever get your rock crusher;) :cool: I mean jet pump put back together???
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-15-2004, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
Wa-a-ay too much money/less motor.
It is my understanding that it takes damn near 1000HP to really get the SW Tunnel to air out.
Never seen one with a snoot AND diverter before...I heard they really don't need those things.
Look closely for stress cracks--particularly around the pod (most all have spidering in that area; it's the severity you're looking for).
LO I agree on the $$$$. thanks for the info
Omega

HBjet
01-15-2004, 07:54 AM
did you ever get your rock crusher;) :cool: I mean jet pump put back together???
Should be done soon...
Here is the new and improved rock crushing impeller
http://www.irnoyfb.com/op6/hbj2.gif
Here's what the bowl looked like
http://www.irnoyfb.com/op6/hbj4.gif
Inducer before & after
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3Damaged_DPS.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3Finished_DPS1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3Finished_DPS2.jpg
TexasJet, what do you mean "I had to start again"?
HBjet

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-15-2004, 08:02 AM
very nice machine work!!! where are the after shots of the bowl?? does the stainless impeller process rocks more effeciently than the aluminum one?:D I think Texas Jet was hinting on the fact of you and I being old friends.;) I'm still thinking about diamond plate around the perimiter of the engine compartment on my shitbox. you know to add some bling bling. whatcha think??
how about the trailer HB? is that next? I could send you some authentic 100% texas astro-turf for your bunks.:D
Omega

565edge
01-15-2004, 03:22 PM
thanks 565 edge but as stated earlier he wants to much for it IMO so I think I will pass. you just don't see many boats like that for sale in Texas. how's your boat running? gonna be ready to put ole HBjet on the shore this spring??
Omega
Well i havent done much to it.Well if i was hbjet i wouldnt bother coming off the shore.He should just walk around and take pic's.I actually called on a 21' edge last night.So maybe i might be out there with a bigger boat.