PDA

View Full Version : Another reason why I prefer Mohave over Havasu

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Sound walls!? Is this the quality you LHC people want?
A wall is going up on the $19 million State Route 95 improvement project — a sound wall, that is. Construction crews, aided by a large crane, installed panels made of rebar Tuesday that will serve as the wall’s frame. The sound wall is being built along the southbound lane of SR 95, just north of South Palo Verde Boulevard. It will line the shoulder several hundred yards, serving as a sound barrier for a neighborhood of mobile homes sitting between London Bridge Road and the highway. Another sound wall also will be installed on the south side. Other project work will include paving the highway from Kiowa Boulevard to Chenoweth Drive through this week, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Crews will re-strip the intersection of Centre Boulevard at the highway (Home Depot entrance), reducing travel to one lane in each direction through the intersection.

MagicMtnDan
01-14-2004, 09:11 AM
I always thought (and think) that Mojave is better than Hava-zoo. I like the Zoo for eye candy but for boating it always seemed to me that Mojave is better (just my opinion).
OK, is it "Mojave" or "Mohave" ? I've seen it both ways so I assume they're both correct.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-14-2004, 09:16 AM
.....ignorance but how does a sound wall on HWY 95 that you will not even be able to see from the lake have anything to do with the boating on Havasu?

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
.....ignorance but how does a sound wall on HWY 95 that you will not even be able to see from the lake have anything to do with the boating on Havasu?
It is all about quality....life and environment. Whats next out there? lol

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I always thought (and think) that Mojave is better than Hava-zoo. I like the Zoo for eye candy but for boating it always seemed to me that Mojave is better (just my opinion).
OK, is it "Mojave" or "Mohave" ? I've seen it both ways so I assume they're both correct.
I believe it is Mohave

91nordic29
01-14-2004, 09:26 AM
I THINK SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINE, IT CHANGED FROM (oops) mojave to mohave. i can remember when i was a kid my dad always calling it "the mo -jaav". used to make us kids laugh.:D :confused:

Ducatista
01-14-2004, 09:54 AM
All those loud obnoxious Harleys!:D
Just having some fun with ya HD! :cool:

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Ducatista
All those loud obnoxious Harleys!:D
Just having some fun with ya HD! :cool:
Somehow I am not surprised.....lol They are obnoxious aren't they? Over in Maui last week I rented one and it was all stock. I hated it :(

Essex502
01-14-2004, 10:05 AM
I seem to see "Mojave" in CA and "Mohave" in Arizona for the same word. Lake Mohave seems to be spelled with an "h".

Ducatista
01-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
Somehow I am not surprised.....lol They are obnoxious aren't they? Over in Maui last week I rented one and it was all stock. I hated it :( Thats funny, like I should talk. It cost me $1200 for titanium pipes and a chip, to get the sound I wanted on my ride. I know what you mean!:cool:

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Ducatista
Thats funny, like I should talk. It cost me $1200 for titanium pipes and a chip, to get the sound I wanted on my ride. I know what you mean!:cool:
Titanium :eek!: DAMN! That sounds like a serious setup. If you have a bike you have to **** with the exhaust....just the way it is.

summerlove
01-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Corona?????

Hustler
01-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
Corona?????
Now thats funny:D :D :D

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Corona?????
Why you have to take a cheap shot like that....lol Tell you what, Corona real estate is one of the hottest around. Plus, if it makes any difference to you my community WAS going to be gobbled up by Yorba Linda but Corona took us in....:)
Tell me what Havasu is good for much more than looking at young women. I have a friend that feel in the water in the channel last year and gulped some down. He grew a huge lump on the side of his neck for about two weeks and it made him sicker than a dog. Is that what attracts you to LHC? I have to tell you that I enjoy my run to LHC when I want to go there but I still prefer the nice quiet cove where I can have my own party with my own woman. That is still possible at Mohave. Give me clean water, a good looking woman and a quiet cove everytime and I am happy. Is it still possible at LHC?

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Hustler
Now thats funny:D :D :D
No comments from the peanut gallery :yuk:

Hustler
01-14-2004, 03:03 PM
No comments from the peanut gallery :yuk:
I got some peanuts for you, oh wait maybe thats the wrong thing to say around here:eek: :D

summerlove
01-14-2004, 03:03 PM
LOL!!!!:D :D :D
But, you did set yourself up!;)

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:05 PM
I got some peanuts for you, oh wait maybe thats the wrong thing to say around here:eek: :D
Get back to work :)

Hustler
01-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Get back to work :)
Hell, If I worked for you I'd be hangin at the river right about now or would it be Hawaii?:p

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:07 PM
LOL!!!!:D :D :D
But, you did set yourself up!;)
I guess you could say that except I was referring to AZ not CA. We all know that the IE is some pretty F'd up area to live in quality wise. Same goes for most of OC regardless of what people say.
Central CA would be a nice place to live. Santa Barbara, Nipomo, SLO....all of that area. There is good/bad in every place we live.

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Hell, If I worked for you I'd be hangin at the river right about now or would it be Hawaii?:p
Ahhhhh.....HI....what a place! Never been there before last week and now I am thinking of buying a timeshare out there :) That place can keep you young as far as I am concerned.

summerlove
01-14-2004, 03:12 PM
I have to tell you that I enjoy my run to LHC when I want to go there but I still prefer the nice quiet cove where I can have my own party with my own woman. That is still possible at Mohave. Give me clean water, a good looking woman and a quiet cove everytime and I am happy. Is it still possible at LHC?
Havasu isn't just the Channel! We spend alot of time down the lake away from the zoo that is known as the channel. There are always nice coves and beaches down lake, and without the hassle of the crowds. I have been going to Havasu since before the bridge was completed and have seen everything there - it has gone down in some ways, but better in many others. the proximity of the "community" to the lake is one, the time spent on an average summer weekend at the ramp is another (no 2 hour waits at the ramp at katherine's for me!) and the modern conveniences of a real city are another - restaurants, stores, and the most important, the Hospital is another. When we go to Havasu, we rarely see the zoo crowd that Havasu is so famous for. I'm sure all of the other Havasu veterans will agree that the channel is only one small part of the overall picture.
I love Mohave, but the winds and the ramp crowds really turn me off. So, we go to Cottonwood once a year and stay at the little hotel and have a ball....Great lake, bad winds, but don't be so harsh on havasu - you just need to go more than a mile past the launch ramp to find out what I'm talking about....
So, when do we give you the grand tour! ;)

summerlove
01-14-2004, 03:15 PM
I guess you could say that except I was referring to AZ not CA. We all know that the IE is some pretty F'd up area to live in quality wise. Same goes for most of OC regardless of what people say.
Central CA would be a nice place to live. Santa Barbara, Nipomo, SLO....all of that area. There is good/bad in every place we live.
North coastal San Diego county for me - Leucadia - a mile to the beach....Ahhhhhh!!!!! Now, that's QOL....

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Havasu isn't just the Channel! We spend alot of time down the lake away from the zoo that is known as the channel. There are always nice coves and beaches down lake, and without the hassle of the crowds. I have been going to Havasu since before the bridge was completed and have seen everything there - it has gone down in some ways, but better in many others. the proximity of the "community" to the lake is one, the time spent on an average summer weekend at the ramp is another (no 2 hour waits at the ramp at katherine's for me!) and the modern conveniences of a real city are another - restaurants, stores, and the most important, the Hospital is another. When we go to Havasu, we rarely see the zoo crowd that Havasu is so famous for. I'm sure all of the other Havasu veterans will agree that the channel is only one small part of the overall picture.
I love Mohave, but the winds and the ramp crowds really turn me off. So, we go to Cottonwood once a year and stay at the little hotel and have a ball....Great lake, bad winds, but don't be so harsh on havasu - you just need to go more than a mile past the launch ramp to find out what I'm talking about....
So, when do we give you the grand tour! ;)
Trust me that I have been on LHC for many years and venture more than just a mile out from the channel. I am not being harsh on LHC just that with sound barriers going up whats next? Welcome to SE CA....lol I do not wait in line at the ramp at Katherines by the way. I always have a slip and launch at night and leave it in the water for the duration of my trip. I agree that the lines are ridiculous for the everyday weekend warriors. That will be addressed in the coming next couple of years. The winds....Oh ya, they can really mess you up out there.
BHC of course does not have the prestige (sp?) that LHC does but that is fine with me. Havasu is a good place to party no doubt. I will give you the restaruant option in LHC is more choice but that again will be changing. You have to admit that the water in Mohave is a lot cleaner than LHC. The lake upstream from Cottonwood is much more beautiful than anything LHC has to offer.
Let me know if you want to hook up at out at Mohave this year. Maybe we can make it more than 1.5 miles from Katherines or Cottonwood.

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:24 PM
North coastal San Diego county for me - Leucadia - a mile to the beach....Ahhhhhh!!!!! Now, that's QOL....
That is a nice place and I can't argue with that. I have family in the Cardiff, Ocenside, Bonita, Eastlake, Coronado areas down there.

summerlove
01-14-2004, 03:29 PM
You have to admit that the water in Mohave is a lot cleaner than LHC. The lake upstream from Cottonwood is much more beautiful than anything LHC has to offer.
No argument from me! While we do enjoy Mohave, we also like Havasu, for the reasons I said. Anyway, I do enjoy going out on the lake at about 11 after B-fast, a little sports on TV, and farting around the garage as we get ready for the day on the lake. We also stay out later than most as we almost always have dinner on the water, ither at the springs, Barley Bros, Havalina cantina, or some o fthe other spots. I do like Mohave, it's just a hassle for us as we're not property owners there - maybe oif we were, I'd have a different opinion. The launch thing is the bissest drag...
We don't have our Mohave w/e planned yet - maybe memorial day....

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:33 PM
No argument from me! While we do enjoy Mohave, we also like Havasu, for the reasons I said. Anyway, I do enjoy going out on the lake at about 11 after B-fast, a little sports on TV, and farting around the garage as we get ready for the day on the lake. We also stay out later than most as we almost always have dinner on the water, ither at the springs, Barley Bros, Havalina cantina, or some o fthe other spots. I do like Mohave, it's just a hassle for us as we're not property owners there - maybe oif we were, I'd have a different opinion. The launch thing is the bissest drag...
Now, that will NOT be a relaxing weekend....lol I may just sit on my boat at the slip, get some sun, drink a case of BL and watch the mayham at the ramp :). Funnier than anything on the big weekends.

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:36 PM
SL...check this out and pick something up: http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38242

summerlove
01-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Now, that will NOT be a relaxing weekend....lol I may just sit on my boat at the slip, get some sun, drink a case of BL and watch the mayham at the ramp :). Funnier than anything on the big weekends.
A LOT less hectic than Havasu - we were there last Mem W/E and it was like Havasu on a mid week during the fall - almost no one there - it was awesome! I'm willing to try again, but maybe we just got lucky last year

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 03:46 PM
A LOT less hectic than Havasu - we were there last Mem W/E and it was like Havasu on a mid week during the fall - almost no one there - it was awesome! I'm willing to try again, but maybe we just got lucky last year
Cottonwood and North of there would be a lot less crazy. I am talking about the Katherine area....gasoline ally in particular. It got shut down one time last year because some woman was using a pickle on herself :)

Ziggy
01-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Apparently CostCo is next.

Essex502
01-15-2004, 07:28 AM
For a "boating" experience I agree that Mohave is more fun as you can get away from the crowd at a much larger lake. Launching from Cottonwood is faster than driving over to Katherine Landing even if you're staying in Laughlin (busy summer weekend). For a fun weekend with friends and have a bit of a show you can't surpass Havasu as you are always entertained. There are quiet coves at Havasu you just have to get beyond the party areas such as Steamboat, Channel, Sandbar and Copper Canyon. Drive around on the lake and look. We find new spots every time we're on the water.

summerlove
01-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
Drive around on the lake and look. We find new spots every time we're on the water.
Kinda like a box of chocolates, you never know what little treasure you'll find by exploring the whole box - some of em are good and some are bad! ;) But as soon as I find one I don't like, I put it back in the box and remember not to eat it next time out...just like Havasu, if I find a cove I don't like, it's off the list, but if I find one we like, we keep coming back to it...

Ziggy
01-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Kinda like a box of chocolates, you never know what little treasure you'll find by exploring the whole box - some of em are good and some are bad! ;) But as soon as I find one I don't like, I put it back in the box and remember not to eat it next time out...just like Havasu, if I find a cove I don't like, it's off the list, but if I find one we like, we keep coming back to it...
Have a couple coves in Havasu that I tend to go to each time too. Think people been following me in cuz I used to never have anyone in there with us but late this past season I'd end up with 3 or 4 others anchored in there with us.
Mohave was the same, had my favorites but continued to explore for alternatives.:D

mbrown2
01-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Although Mohave is a very nice lake...the two things I don't like about it are launching (too much wait) and the wind....when it howls out there, it is not much fun, and it tends to howl there more than Havasu or Parker....my .02

Essex502
01-15-2004, 11:36 AM
I usually set a waypoint in the GPS for the coves we find that we like. That way we come back right to the one we want!

hd&boatrider
01-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Although Mohave is a very nice lake...the two things I don't like about it are launching (too much wait) and the wind....when it howls out there, it is not much fun, and it tends to howl there more than Havasu or Parker....my .02
That is 100% true. Funnier than shit to see the weekend guy make a trip, have a small boat and decide "**** it, I don't care how windy it is. I came all this way and I am taking the boat out."
I actually saw this about 3 weeks ago. Colder than shit, windy and this guy was in an 18 foot Bayliner. I could not help myself...I watched as he struggled to make it out of the wake zone. He went out a little and turned around and hauled ass back to the docks. What the f was he thinking anyhow. White caps everywhere.
I have actually seen the wind advicory flag up with hurricane force warnings and people taking their boats out. The sheriffs place themselves at the end of the mouth of the launch area and said on a megaphone: "If you go out you are on your own. We strongly advise against anybody taking their boat out." Not exact words but pretty close to it.

LAVEYSABRE575
01-15-2004, 12:24 PM
there are numerous coves down toward the springs much more family oriented. What we like about it, when ever we feel like going for a ride in the boat we cruise down to the city 20 min. ride very nice have lunch visit with friends then cruise back to civilization the best of both worlds....derek