PDA

View Full Version : Any newer Ultras w/big power?

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 03:28 PM
I was just wondering how many people on here had a newer(2000-2003)Ultra jetboat with a lot of horsepower? I think Froggystyle's is the only one over 20 feet that I've seen run more than 70mph with a jet. I'm interested to see what motor and pump work is needed on average to make a full size bowrider run like this. So bring em on! Pictures would help as well!

rivercrazy
01-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Its gonna take a LOT of power to make a full sized 21 cab forward hull to run 70 +

Hustler
01-14-2004, 03:44 PM
I think Froggy's boat was running about 650hp and he claimed to be in the low 70's

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Hustler
I think Froggy's boat was running about 650hp and he claimed to be in the low 70's
I think he said he was near 80...

rivercrazy
01-14-2004, 03:54 PM
I also heard low 70's. 72 if I recall correctly

RandyH
01-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Well I will tell you what I experienced. I bought a 2002 21 stealth from John. I just wanted a carb motor. Wife said nothing sticking out of the hatch. This motor is a 540 with a Crower rotating mass, Crower Cam and Rockers, solid lifter, Aluminum Heads, Full roller motor. Still playing with a New Carb from Bigs. Went all out on the Headers and tail pipe work. It dynoed better with a 830 DP from a Nascar shop and the 950 Stage 5 needs some modifications. The heads had some mild porting from what I saw. I run 91 and 92 octane. Best I have seen was last summer and it ran right at 73 on the GPS. 5300 RPM and the Advance set at 35.
The pump work was all done by Jack at MPD. Bowl, Stainless Impeller, Ride plate and shoe. I think the Droop helps give it some lift. Would like to try a Snoot from HTP. Not sure what model of loader I have. It also has Dons impeller loader and cavitaties very little. I am adding a rev limiter this winter as we have been airborne several times.
The Motor dynoed at about 530 corrected and 557 with the smaller carb. I was hoping for 600 just because I knew it was a heavy boat. Probably be lucky to ever get 75 but I am damn happy with what I got. We loaded it out with everything I could think of. Kind of wish I had those power hatches from Dana. John was great to deal with.
Only thing I would do different is have DNE build the motor, Hydraulic LIfters and Iron heads. Something like HBjets only single carb. I think John said that he is working with DNE on a package deal now.
http://www.ats-inc.net/ultrajet/ultrapics/ultaagain/540.JPG
http://www.ats-inc.net/ultrajet/ultrapics/ultaagain/transom.JPG
http://www.ats-inc.net/ultrajet/ultrapics/ultaagain/mike.JPG
The guy in the boat is Mike Harlan. He rigged it. This was the maiden voyage at El Cap.
Good Luck.
RandyH

beached 1
01-14-2004, 04:26 PM
wow, what a beautiful ride RandyH.
Ultratweaker (I thnk he only posts on OP6 and SoCal HB) has a 00 21 (LX? can't remember) with a MPD'd Berk JG 600+ HP 502. I think he said he GPS'd near 70.

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Randy that is a beautiful ride indeed! It's the one in the magazine ad from the summer right? Have you had any problems with the engine? I know Froggy had some with his Crower stuff. Could you PM me with some specs on the engine like cam etc? Also, he said even with the DPS pre-loader he cavitated out of the hole when he gave it more than half throttle.

Greaser
01-14-2004, 04:58 PM
I know its been said before, but "DAMN THATS A BEUTIFULL RIDE"

Squirtcha?
01-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Very nice Randy. You should be very proud. That's a big boat (I'd love to have all that room) and 73 mph with 530 hp is impressive. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.
Congratulations on a really nice ride.

HBjet
01-14-2004, 06:53 PM
DNE has a customer with the same boat, pump work by MPD and it has 800+hp blower motor in it and it runs very strong. The engine hatch has a fiberglass scoop painted to match. The boat is blue and white. Don't know the owner, just saw the motor and boat.
HBjet

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Does DNE have a website?

kevnmcd
01-14-2004, 08:27 PM
I know of a 21' Stealth (friend of a friend) that has around 900 hp.....he claims 91 mph.

SPECTRABRENT
01-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Very Clean, I like the CMI's.
What did you pay for those?
Brent

HBjet
01-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Does DNE have a website?
Yes, but it's not up. I don't know what the URL will be, but I know one is in the works...
HBjet

Hotcrusader76
01-15-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Hustler
Actually after the carburetor modification we broke 80MPH...
Froggy's old Ultra Boat (http://www.tpcracing.com/testimonials.html)

flat broke
01-15-2004, 09:21 AM
I'll have to see if I can bait Senor Clownpuncher into a little impromptu drag race when the motor is done. If he's pulling 80, he'll probably get the best of the Ol' Spectra, but it'd be fun none the less. Especially since the Hustler will probably jumping quite a bit out in front of the other cruisers this summer.
Chris

HighRoller
01-15-2004, 09:41 AM
I'd be really interested in talking to one of the guys who have the 800 and 900 horsepower Stealths just out of sheer curiousity. That's a lot of power but damn it must be fun to cruise along at about 30mph and hammer it! I bet it would damn near do a wheelie!

flat broke
01-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Or just cavitate like a bitch ;)

clownpuncher
01-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by flat broke
I'll have to see if I can bait Senor Clownpuncher into a little impromptu drag race when the motor is done. If he's pulling 80, he'll probably get the best of the Ol' Spectra, but it'd be fun none the less. Especially since the Hustler will probably jumping quite a bit out in front of the other cruisers this summer.
Chris
Don't for sure about top speed. I've been kinda scared to take it above 35 on the Gaffrig :D
Honestly I haven't hit full throttle for more than 10 seconds or so, easily seeing 65-70. Been out in it maybe a total of 6-7 times since I bought it ( I gotta find a way around this "work' thing) and was too busy grinning about the stereo to really care about top speed. From what I know Froggy and his crew did an awsome job on the engine. I'm told 650 HP's, which the hull handles very well, and the pump seems to be dialed to the "T". No problems whatsoever. Look forward to seein y'all on the water.
Flat Broke, you have an advantage on me seeing as you know what OTR looks like, but I don't know what you look like. Post a pic so's I know who ya are. Late :D
ROC

flat broke
01-15-2004, 04:55 PM
http://www.liquidaddiction.net/images/CBBB/Chris-Cruising.gif
CP, you've been officially warned :D
I doubt you have anything to worry about though.
Glad to hear you're happy with the boat. It's a very clean piece.
Chris