PDA

View Full Version : Any newer Ultras with big power?

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 03:39 PM
The whole 237 Ultra thread got me thinking. I was wondering if there were peeps on here who had 2000 or newer 21 bowriders that run better than 70 with a jet. Actually I'd be interested in any make of boat that fits these criteria. I'm curious how much power and what type of pump work is necessary to do it reliably. I'd also like to hear from anyone with a fast 23 or 247XS to see how it handles and if you need bigger trim tabs etc....

rivercrazy
01-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Are you thinking about putting a jet drive in a 23XS or a 247? The 247 step's would probably not work to well with jet.

roln 20s
01-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Nashvillebound has a 247 Ultra with a whippled HP500- not 100% sure, but its got to be 90mph boat. Looks great too. I'd be willing to bet this is the fastest one out there!
Someone else on the site was selling their 247 Ultra (red and purple) and it was stated that it was a 80+ mph boat with a custom motor (believe it was like a 540). Search the topics and I'm sure you can find it. Another nice looking boat.
Are you thinking about putting a jet drive in a 23XS or a 247? The 247 step's would probably not work to well with jet.
In 2000, they built one with a Merlin 509/540 and it had a jet. Surprisingly, it was a great boat and performed better than expected. I believe that they removed the step for this particular boat- Ultra28 should know :D
Roln 20s

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 04:06 PM
I saw that jet-powered 247XS on the boat trader a couple months ago. I almost puked because it was for sale for like 35K and it's a beautiful boat! Not sure if it turned out to be a slug or if he was just desperate to get rid of it. He mentioned buying a wakeboard boat. If I recall correctly the top speed of that XS was just over 50 with a jet.

rvrtoy
01-14-2004, 04:12 PM
The top speed on the boat you are refering to was over 70 mph. The original owner blew the original motor. He sucked seaweed into the pump which caused the motor to overheatand....well you know the rest. The boat is now on it's fouth owner who bought the boat cheap to turn it over for a small profit.

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Cool, maybe it will float around for a while longer until I'm ready to buy! I don't remember seeing that it ran over 70 but what the hell do I know? That would take a HUGE amount of power!

Lightning
01-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Froggy's old boat with the Merlin was coming in near 80 or better when he had it. His was a 21xs with a Berk.

rvrtoy
01-14-2004, 04:39 PM
I probably over stated it's performance by saying 70 mph. It was actually 68.3 on radar during the initial water test. I was on the test drive. I sold the boat to the original owner (a prominant Honda Dealer from New Jersey). This was his fun time weekend boat. This one filled the time when he was not racing his offshore race baot in the superboat class. He drove a boat called "Planet Man" and won the points championship in 2000.
The boat was VERY nice originally however, I heard that it has not been taken care of very well since it was sold to the second owner.

Infomaniac
01-14-2004, 04:43 PM
I almost bought that boat from Bent Boat Salvage a few years back. I told ultra about it and they were pissed that the guy still owed them money on it. Could have bought it for 27K at the time. It was practically new then.
Originally posted by rvrtoy
The top speed on the boat you are refering to was over 70 mph. The original owner blew the original motor. He sucked seaweed into the pump which caused the motor to overheatand....well you know the rest. The boat is now on it's fouth owner who bought the boat cheap to turn it over for a small profit.

NashvilleBound
01-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
The whole 237 Ultra thread got me thinking. I was wondering if there were peeps on here who had 2000 or newer 21 bowriders that run better than 70 with a jet. Actually I'd be interested in any make of boat that fits these criteria. I'm curious how much power and what type of pump work is necessary to do it reliably. I'd also like to hear from anyone with a fast 23 or 247XS to see how it handles and if you need bigger trim tabs etc....
HighRoller, I'm running, as stated, a HP500EFI with a WhippleCharger on it. Runs right at 90 GPS. Killler ride, but for sure the top end for that hull. I have the Dana off shore tabs and they are mandatory above 80mph. Unless of course the water is totally flat....totally flat! Other than that it has been the best boat ever. Like a sports car on the water. Tho its for sale just due to we've outgrown it.