PDA

View Full Version : mufflers

cheech
01-14-2004, 05:29 PM
what kind of mufflers does everyone use or going to use since it sounds like they are going to start testing people more offen. how much horsepower do you lose with them. does the wet systems for the headers lower the noise level at all.

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 05:34 PM
I think it varies depending on what kind of "headers" you are talking about. Over the transom/water injected or through transom/water jacketed types?

LVjetboy
01-14-2004, 08:10 PM
If you have a performance engine you'll loose power and loose the noise round with the law. Mufflers or no dream on. Buy a Sea Ray family boat now! Before it's too late.
jer

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 08:16 PM
The only mufflers I've heard that work well with minimal or no power loss are the IMCO "Gatlin" tailpipes. They're designed for high HP or blower engines and cost about 800 bucks a set.

cal***boat
01-14-2004, 09:18 PM
**** that muffler crap and the noise laws, I have found the only way to go is with turbos on a lake boat, very little noise and still builds a bunch of horsepower.

screamdreambrad
01-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by cal***boat
**** that muffler crap and the noise laws, I have found the only way to go is with turbos on a lake boat, very little noise and still builds a bunch of horsepower. chb i think you hit it on the head! turbo shit is going to be so shittin expensive after everybody figures out that is going to be the only way to beat the noise crap! i had the slip in crap mufflers for mine when i used to go to the lke and river and they murdered my power, and made the thing pigrich! brad

Unchained
01-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by screamdreambrad
chb i think you hit it on the head! turbo shit is going to be so shittin expensive after everybody figures out that is going to be the only way to beat the noise crap! i had the slip in crap mufflers for mine when i used to go to the lke and river and they murdered my power, and made the thing pigrich! brad
The Turbo setup really doesn't have to be that expensive but you have to take the initiative and put it together yourself.
For instance the turbo's I'm using are diesel rebuilds and cost 1/2 what a new Turbonetics cost. I still haven't seen anyone post a quicker spool up time than I have recorded and the turbo's have the capacity to make over 40 lbs boost if needed. If one went bad I could get another off the shelf most anywhere in the country.
Turbos are much simpler than blowers and extremely durable.
The stainless headers seem to be the biggest challenge for the do it yourselfer. I made my own and can make others.

Blown509Liberator
01-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Mark,
What kinda DBL reading you getting with your turdo set up? I know you MI boys are getting hit hard in the noise dept.
MikeW

Unchained
01-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Blown509Liberator
Mark,
What kinda DBL reading you getting with your turdo set up? I know you MI boys are getting hit hard in the noise dept.
MikeW
Mike, I haven't put a DB meter on it but I have cruised past Omar Shariff several times and got no response.
When riding around in the boat I still wear earplugs but people on the shore have told me several things.
-It was so quiet I didn't know the engine was running.
-I thought a jet airplane was flying low.
-I thought it was supposed to be quiet.
My own observation is that when you're just cruising around it is a lot quieter than headers. When you have your foot in it can get loud but the noise doesn't seem to carry like headers do.
Here's a video with the blower
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/MOV01254.MPG
Here's a video with the turbo's
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/videooverbow.MPG
So which one sounds quieter at WOT ?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
01-15-2004, 02:31 PM
you can definitely here the whistle of the turbos. how much boost are you running? did the turbos net a higher top speed?
bitchin'
Omega

Unchained
01-15-2004, 05:43 PM
I couldn't hear the turbo's much, just a bit at the point where the GPS is at 14 mph just after I hit it. You can see the boost gauge is around 20.
With the red boat you can hear the blower belt real good though.
I never topped out either boat.
From the videos I determined that with the blower motor I was getting around 10 mph / sec acceleration at about 60.
With the turbo motor I'm getting closer to 15 mph / sec acceleration.
The turbo engine turns the jet pump over 1000 rpm higher than the blower engine.

canuck1
01-15-2004, 06:59 PM
I lost 350 rpm going from open dry headers to wet center risers with mufflers

likwidsukr
01-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Unchained
Mike, I haven't put a DB meter on it but I have cruised past Omar Shariff several times and got no response.
When riding around in the boat I still wear earplugs but people on the shore have told me several things.
-It was so quiet I didn't know the engine was running.
-I thought a jet airplane was flying low.
-I thought it was supposed to be quiet.
My own observation is that when you're just cruising around it is a lot quieter than headers. When you have your foot in it can get loud but the noise doesn't seem to carry like headers do.
Here's a video with the blower
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/MOV01254.MPG
Here's a video with the turbo's
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/videooverbow.MPG
So which one sounds quieter at WOT ?
Sweet videos!!!!:cool:

SANGERBRU
01-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Already been busted for excessive noise, thru transom, water, 700hp., had to put on supertrapps. Not happy. Pulled the mufflers, what the hey, come get me. Roost on !