PDA

View Full Version : external Hydraulic steering

Need4Speed
10-26-2000, 07:40 AM
Im planning to add a Whipple Charger to my 454mag MPI which should put it right at the 600hp mark. Should I look at installing an external hydraulic steering system or will the stock power steering system handle the increased HP and speed(which should be in the uper 70's)? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Laveyman
10-27-2000, 12:04 PM
Most definitely add the hydraulic steering! If you have any doubts, just grab ahold of your outdrive when your boat is on the trailer. Now, push it from side to side. You'll notice there is anywhere from 1/4-1/2 an inch of 'slop' or play in the outdrive. That slop is inherent in the Bravo design. When you're cruising along at 75 MPH with your family & friends in the boat, guess what that outdrive is doing? It's slopping from side to side, wearing out the gimbal on the outdrive. The last thing you want to happen is to lose control of you boat at those speeds.
By adding an external hydraulic such as Imco you eliminate all of that slop. You also eliminate and steering torque. If you decide not to do it now, you will end up doing it after you have destroyed your gimbal and paid $1200 to have it repaired. It's money well spent!
[This message has been edited by Laveyman (edited October 27, 2000).]

DainBramaged
06-14-2001, 08:23 PM
I have a 22' Essex with a 496 HO motor. It runs 70+, so I am looking into hydraulic steering. I only run at Havasu (fresh water) I have a few Q's. 1) Single or Dual ram(s) (advantages/disadvantages)2) Any other criterion in buying the correct hydraulic ram. I've only heard a a few manufacurers (IMCO, etc) and I can't find much in the way of why/what/how of rams. Any info would be appreciated.

formula93
06-20-2001, 06:20 AM
Smaller boats such as mine (252SS Formula) with single drives should only require single ram external steering.
Several manufacturers are:
Latham
IMCO
Marine Machine
Latham uses a lower grade of stailess steel in their hardware and I have seen many threads on Offshoreonly about corrosion problems & lack of warranty support from Latham....so they are out with me.
IMCO uses the "good stuff" in their cylinders but I hear the accessory hardware is of a lower grade also, I do not know for sure so ask for the stainless grade used.
Marine Machine - great kudo's there !!
Everything is of 316L or 317 stailess and the hardware is almost unbelieveable as to the polished finish. Very high grade stuff there. Service is good also.
If you buy from the manufacturer you will pay more. I found the best package prices at CP Performance ...the package included everything and beat everyone elses "special prices"....all hoses were stainless braid and All fittings were also. Give them a call.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

gimprvr
06-20-2001, 09:51 AM
Hello Need4Speed or anybody else that can knows. I am in the process of installing a whipple on my 454 mag. I was wondering if you could give me any advice or details on how this application worked for you. What kind of boat is it in. Do you really think your getting 600HP? Hoew many pounds of boost are you running? What RPM's are you running at? Are there any reliability issues I should be aware of? Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated. The anticipation is killing me!!
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Im planning to add a Whipple Charger to my 454mag MPI which should put it right at the 600hp mark. Should I look at installing an external hydraulic steering system or will the stock power steering system handle the increased HP and speed(which should be in the uper 70's)? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!