PDA

View Full Version : Engine stands

h2ojet001
01-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Has anybody ever purchased an engine stand on ebay and if so did it work for you? Is the 1000lb stand enough for BBC or would I need the 1250lb. Do they come with mounting bolts if not what grade and size will be needed? Thanks
Barry

Snowboat
01-15-2004, 11:39 AM
1,000 will work; I'd get the bigger one. Once you start stacking the expensive chit on top, one starts to worry.

Hotcrusader76
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Harbor freight...
If you buy through ebay....trust me!!!!!!!! The shipping will be very high and it will come out even with the cost of driving down to HF.
Just my 0.02
~Ty

Tinkerer
01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Just make sure that You buy a 4 wheeled one. They cost a little more but believe me if you buy a 3 wheel one you will wish that you had sprung for the other. I have one of each.

DansBlown73Nordic
01-15-2004, 04:59 PM
I have one I built in High School. I ran my blown BBC on it a couple weeks ago.:eek:

Mopar426
01-15-2004, 06:08 PM
I would go for the 4 wheel stand. I purchased a cheapo bolt together stand thinking when not in use I could take it apart and store it under my bench. It was very wobbly and wanted to tip over with only one wheel out front, but it lasted till the final rotation when I flipped the engine over to bolt on the pan the main support snapped off dropping the engine on my leg luckily I escaped with only bruses, but crushed my new valve covers. I would not take that route again.:(

wsuwrhr
01-15-2004, 06:16 PM
I don't want to stall anyone's parade, but don't buy the cheap imported crap. You are talking about THOUSANDS of dollars in parts, and plenty of weight. Buy a nice stand and it will be the last one you own.
4 wheel for sure nothing less.
Brian

Bow Tie Omega
01-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Harbor freights stand sucks!!! Big time. That is what I purchased for my 454. The 1250 lb stand was bent over, I had to place blocks under the oil pan so the stand would not snap in two. Just ask BrendellaJet or V-drive, they saw it with their own two eyes. The Pep Boys 1000 lb stand is sturdy and has worked flawlessly for me for the last year.The good news...$65.00

b's sanger
01-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I bought one on e-bay a couple years back. It was the folding leg model for storage. No problems holding my BBF. I don't remember the weight specs though, sorry. As long as you are OK putting it together yourself, you are good. Mine did not come with the mounting bolts. Went to the parts store, wasn't too expensive for the hardened veriety.

shaun
01-16-2004, 12:51 AM
i was also thinking of buying one off ebay, i decided to search the recycler and found a local guy selling them. I payed like $165 for the cherry picker, engine stand and load leveler. The guy has 2 engine stands one for 35 bucks or one for 45 bucks... the one for 45 bucks was rated at 1250 and the one for 35 was rated at 1000. i choose the 1250 model.
I put them both together, they look nice, there made in china. I will be using them this weekend, i guess we'll see if how well they work.
On a note, i didnt like the way the engine stand did arms, the washers where too small and seamed like they could buckle. I went out and purchased larger washers!
Oh ya, the 1000lb stand had a 'H' like bottom and the 1250 stand had a 'U' like bottom. The 'H' looked safer.

Sleek-Jet
01-16-2004, 05:56 AM
I've gotta 1000 lb stand from Summit, good quality, ok price.
If (or actually when) I buy another one, I'll get one with bearings in it, trying to spin even a bare block on mine is a bitch.

BrendellaJet
01-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
Harbor freights stand sucks!!! Big time. That is what I purchased for my 454. The 1250 lb stand was bent over, I had to place blocks under the oil pan so the stand would not snap in two. Just ask BrendellaJet or V-drive, they saw it with their own two eyes. The Pep Boys 1000 lb stand is sturdy and has worked flawlessly for me for the last year.The good news...$65.00 Its true, that thing was a pile of shit.
My pep boys stand kciks ass.

v-drive
01-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
I've gotta 1000 lb stand from Summit, good quality, ok price.
If (or actually when) I buy another one, I'll get one with bearings in it, trying to spin even a bare block on mine is a bitch.
My father in law and I have talked numerous times (rebuilding my Olds) and came to the conclusion that it wasn't the fact that the engine was so heavy but rather that the sleeve that the engine mount slides into was to sloppy. My stand,bto's,and I'm certain bj's are smaller therefore distributing the weight over a larger area thus making it easy to rotate. Bto's had like 1/4 inch slop and mine has 1/16inch. Bearings possibly could create a tipping problem and I am not positive, it is just a feeling I have...... :cool: v-drive

superdave013
01-16-2004, 08:37 AM
I got a stand from an old timer that made it his self. The things hella stout and has a nice tray on the back. Also has a nice drip pan. Made out of 3" channel for legs, 4" SCH 40 pipe for the riser and 1/2" plate to bolt the bellhousing too. I had to make some spacers as it was set up for an Offy when I got it.
I can get some better pics of it and take a few measuremets if anyone would want to make on like it. It's super stout.
torquing head and main bolts is much nicer with a stout engine stand.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9turbo_mock_up2-med.jpg

Sleek-Jet
01-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by v-drive
My father in law and I have talked numerous times (rebuilding my Olds) and came to the conclusion that it wasn't the fact that the engine was so heavy but rather that the sleeve that the engine mount slides into was to sloppy. My stand,bto's,and I'm certain bj's are smaller therefore distributing the weight over a larger area thus making it easy to rotate. Bto's had like 1/4 inch slop and mine has 1/16inch. Bearings possibly could create a tipping problem and I am not positive, it is just a feeling I have...... :cool: v-drive
Yeah, that's the problem, it's no the weight of the engine/block.
I've seen a couple with bearings, the have pins to lock the engine/block down to keep it from spinning willy-nilly, definetly a slick set up.

v-drive
01-16-2004, 08:47 AM
That's a piece of work and although I have a good one I would rather have one like that. More pictures please.:D v-drive

shaun
01-20-2004, 01:49 PM
I pulled the motor out of the boat a couple days ago, i needed some mounting hardware and just got around to mounting it to the engine stand and.......
Buy a good engine stand, like i said above i bought a kit, a cheapo thing that came with a 1250 lb engine stand, and hoist. The hoist seams to be stable and worked great besides length issues but the motor on the stand isnt stright. It's flexing and forward. I bounced on it a bit and shackd it and it seams like it's fine but i dont trust it. I will probably buy a new one some time in the next week.
The company who made my stuff is like american mechanic or american tools or somthing like that.