PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Mag question

Taylorman
01-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Whats the purpose of running a Magneto? What do they do different from a distributor?

King Kuracz
01-15-2004, 01:24 PM
A mag is essentialy a high voltage DC generator.
They are entirely self contained and do not require a battery or outside power source to function.

CrdStang
01-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Yup, what King said.
It's the same ignition system found in small engines, like your lawn mower.
There are a few fun quirks, like you have to short the coil out to shut the engine off

Moneypitt
01-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Mags, the old type without an external transformer, are NOT high voltage units. The standard vertex mag puts out 24K volts. By todays standards,(GM HEI= 45K) the mags power is low, the greatest advantage is the constant voltage, 24K everytime, at idle, or at 10,000 RPM. Spark plugs are gapped at .018, to allow the lower voltage, and Mags are subject to easily wetting the plugs down if fuel delivery isn't closely watched during cranking. They are still the best ignition systems out there, and usually work trouble free for years.........Moneypitt

Taylorman
01-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Any advantage over a good msd 6AL and dist.

King Kuracz
01-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
Any advantage over a good msd 6AL and dist.
You can push start it if the battery is totally dead........:D
BTW Pitt, I know 24KV isn't high voltage in relation to a modern ignition system, but relative to what I was talking about (a 12v generator on a vehicle) it's pretty high now isn't it? At the very least, I haven't heard of anyone being killed by the output of an automotive generator. Mags are another story.