PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on 75 Challenger

75_Elim
01-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey guys, I may have a new project boat. It's a 18' 75 Challenger that I may be able to get for cheap... 1K. It had a 460 in it but that blew up and he took it out, the jet is good and the interior is okay. So this will be a hull, jet and trailer purchase only.
I talked with the owner and he said it's only a half stringer boat. Is that bad for this kind of boat ?? What else do I need to know about these before I lay the cash down???
Any help would be appreciated.

Squirtcha?
01-16-2004, 06:18 AM
I'm sorry, I was so busy watching to see how far your avatar girl was going to go..........................I didn't notice, did you post something?

HavasuDreamin'
01-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Box stringers.......................definately not as good as a full stringer set up. Having said that, many boat companies produced smaller 18'-20' jetboats with the box stringer set up to save money, and a lot of them lasted a long time.
Check the stringers for soft wood. Wood chips are bad. Delaminated glass around the stringers is bad. Bolts going through the stringers that have warped the wood also indicates soft stringers.
I wouldn't run a box stringer boat out at Havasu on a weekend. The risk you run is pounding it to death and cracking the hull. If the boat is in good shape aside from the stringers, I would probably still pick it up and have someone like HavasuBarney glass in a new set of full stringers.
Good Luck. :cool:
One more thing. Check the bottom of the hull to see how straight it is. Without the full stringers, it may have a pretty good hook which is no bueno.

75_Elim
01-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys.........
I'll still look at it, but I'm thinking half is bad now :D
How much would it be to make it a full stringer ride? Anyone know approx. numbers??